X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hired goon
    • Aug 2004

Behringer amplifiers?

G'day,

People talk about the Behringer feedback destroyer a lot here, but I haven't seen any mention of their amplifiers. I'm not looking at amps, but I'm curious to find out how they rate.

They seem pretty cheap -- the 2 x 280w EP1500 is listed at US$299, for example -- but how do they sound? What you would expect for US$299, or better than you would think based on the price?

--Geoff
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Many of the DIY sub builders have been using the 1500/2500 for a while now. No one has had any problems, or if they've had problems they've been quiet about it (highly unlikely in the internet age).

Here's a link to a review of one of the 2500's

Note that the fans aren't quiet, and like most low buck switching amps these really aren't designed for a fullrange signal.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Neal_C
      • Feb 2003

Pretty good for passive sub use, but definitely not what you want powering your speakers. I didn't take the time to find the distortion rating, but it is probably alot higher than is normally desired.

Comment

• taz13
        • Jun 2004

Not wanting to start an arguement or anything, but I am using 3 EP1500s to drive a 5.1 system and I really like the sound, I also use a NAD t762 and prefer the sound from the EP1500s. The fans are noisy but all my equipment is in another room. They are not as good as my Brystons were, but they are in the running and are a whole pile of money cheaper. They are decent quality with good power out. But the part that counts is they sound very good to me and I can listen for hours in comfort.

This one is convection cooled and even cheaper, although I have not heard it.
        Last edited by taz13; 12 March 2005, 13:54 Saturday. Reason: Add link and comment
        The day is not complete if something new is not learnt.
        Taz/Rick/Richard/Ricardo

Comment

• Neal_C
          • Feb 2003

I agree Taz. If they match well with your speakers and you like the sound, then by all means make good use of them.

I was just stating that usually amps like that have a high distortion rating and normally aren't the best for anything but passive subs.

I'm sure your system sounds better than mine right now since my Rotel receiver is down for the count and my whole system is out of use.

Comment

• hired goon
            • Aug 2004

G;day,

Originally posted by taz13
            http://www.behringer.com/A500/index.cfm?lang=ENG
            This one is convection cooled and even cheaper, although I have not heard it.
            This amp looks very similar to the Alesis RA500 amplifier.

--Geoff

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"