X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brendon
    • Aug 2004

They are joking ....?

An Australian HiFi retailer recently posted this link for the amusement of its patrons.One hopes its an elaborate hoax... http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina27.htm
    Brendon
  • Paul H
    • Feb 2004

I see the 30 disc version is cheaper per disc at $1.33, making it a real bargain .... :rofl:

Paul

Comment

• brendon
      • Aug 2004

If only all upgrades were that easy!
      Brendon
      Ps check out rest of site it got some "great enhancements on it"

Comment

• Burke Strickland
        • Sep 2001

This device was actually "demonstrated" at CES in Las Vegas earlier this year. One of our local HT group members saw/heard the "demo" (which probably WAS an elaborate hoax) and brought back literature to see what the rest of us might think about it. When the laughter subsided, and after people asked if they had also used green markers on the discs, he decided not to order one. :>)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• brendon
          • Aug 2004

Green markers?
          Brendon

Comment

• Stoney
            • Dec 2004

:E :E :E I'll take 10 of each!!!!! :rofl:
            Emotiva UPA-700 Amp
            Emotiva UMC 200 pre/pro
            B&W DM605 S2 Mains
            DM602 S2 Surrounds
            DM601 S2 Rear Surrounds
            CC6 S2 Center.
            ASW 1000 Sub

Comment

• Kevin P
              • Aug 2000

How many pictures can I store on that thing if I stick it in my digital camera? Will it "upgrade" the resolution? :lol:

Comment

• BarcoII
                • Feb 2005

Yeah Brendon, that thing makes green markers, rubber CD rings and special acoustic stones look like legit products! :B

Comment

• brendon
                  • Aug 2004

The "acoustic stones" are on this site .Check out the brilliant pebbles section .Apparently placing a glass jar full of specially prepped minerals and pebbles on top of your various components and speakers does all matter of good.
                  Brendon

Comment

• Stoney
                    • Dec 2004

I liked the "magic ring" that is designed to run the power cords through; or if that is inconvenient, you can just run the cord accross them; or you can place them anywhere near your equipment and they will improve the sound. It also suggests that you could buy 3 @ $300 each and set up an equilateral triangle around your compenents.
                    Check out the "staff" link.
                    Oh..... I think I need 7 of those giga hz tweeters at $400 ea. What a hoot.
                    Does anyone know if the site is a joke or if he is serious about that stuff?
                    Emotiva UPA-700 Amp
                    Emotiva UMC 200 pre/pro
                    B&W DM605 S2 Mains
                    DM602 S2 Surrounds
                    DM601 S2 Rear Surrounds
                    CC6 S2 Center.
                    ASW 1000 Sub

Comment

• David Meek
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Crickets.

I hear crickets. :B

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• OakIris
                        • Dec 2003

Yeah, but, what if it really works?!? :roll: By the way, I have some beach front property in Colorado that I'd be willing to sell to you for a bargain price....

Comment

• ThomasW
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Funny thing is that the green markers (or the old Navcom rings) actually do work.

I keep identical burned copies of a CD around for demoing this. One plain one, one painted with a green maker.

Even our oldest tweak skeptic (and Ludite) JonMarsh, acknowledges the effects of the CD's painted with the marker.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• billz260
                            • Dec 2004

So what kind of marker and where do you paint? Seems odd but I guess it could 'filter' stuff out or maybe enhance or focus the laser a bit better or something? Hmm.

Comment

• ThomasW
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

The official markers are water based opaque green. Occasionally I just grab a black Sharpie. The solvents in the Sharpie may not be a good thing, but I've never had a disc damaged by them.

Paint the outer edge and the depression near the hole in the disc, Note that some discs don't have this depression ( I'm sure that makes them happy ... :wink: )

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Brandon B
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Jun 2001

Since it is not April 1, gotta ask Thomas. What's your theory for why it helps? Stray beam absorption and resulting jitter reduction?

BB

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Mar 2005

All i have to say is WOW, you learn something new every day.......
                                  B&W

Comment

• JazzGuyy
                                    • Nov 2003

Things like this actually do work if you believe they do. If you don't believe in them they don't work. It's all based on suggestibility. The interesting thing is that the more this stuff costs the more likely people are to believe in it. There is always a market for snake oil.

Comment

• David Meek
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2000

JazzGuyy, you need to check up on the persons you comment about before using derogatory terms like "snake oil". Thomas is one of the most scientifically grounded and technically savvy members of this forum. I strongly suggest you rethink that.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• JazzGuyy
                                        • Nov 2003

I wasn't directing my remark at Thomas but to the other stuff. I am very familiar with the pluses and minuses of green pens and all of this other stuff. There may have been some basis to green pens in early players that leaked light badly but again there might not have been.

There has never been any rational explanation of why a lot of this stuff works except suggestibility. If you want to believe in it, fine. Read about Peter Belt some time and see how strange things can get. Belt's magic foils and secret liquids were weirder than anything the Australian site referred to. A lot of the British audio press believed it worked. I do think this stuff works but only because you believe it. It is more religion than science.

If you can show me some physics or chemistry that accounts for magic stones, CD improvements by placing them near a chip, etc., I'll believe too. Until then I am a skeptic.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Aug 2000

What's your theory for why it helps? Stray beam absorption and resulting jitter reduction
                                          Nope not jitter since the results are audible with a Benchmark DAC 1 in the loop.

Also years back Stereophile did a study and looked at the effects of various tweaks, none had any impact on jitter

So must be stray beam absorption or something similar.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"