X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • javis
    • Jun 2004

Bag End Sub

Has anyone out there had the opportunity to audition the
    BAG END INFRUSUB-18. I have not had the opportunity as there are no Australian dealerships. All the reviews I have read and endorsments by top musicians are positive. They are suggesting it is arguably one of the most musical subs on the domestic market. I have contacted Bag End direct and they are prepared to sell it to me for US$1770. including freight, to my door.
    Any comments or thoughts would be appreciated.
  • Wayne A. Pflughaupt
    • Jun 2002

It’s a pro audio sub; what’s considered to be “musical” in a public auditorium with a professional sound reinforcement system doesn’t necessarily translate to “musical” in your living room.

Aside from that, Bag End tends to be overpriced,even in the pro audio market. I expect you can get the same or better performance from a reputable home manufacturer for a lot less money. The reason is that with a home sub you won’t be paying for what you don’t really need - like the ability to play all day at 110dB in the hot sun, remain intact when dropped off the back of a truck, etc.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Comment

• javis
      • Jun 2004

Makes sense Wayne. Point taken.
      I’ll take it by your comments that you have heard the Bag End in a home environment.
      What then would be your suggestion given the fact (as an example) that I can have the BAG END in my home for around the same money than say the Velodyne SPL-1200 series 11 ( which is also in a much smaller enclosure). By that I am assuming that both units are in the same league. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Comment

• Wayne A. Pflughaupt
        • Jun 2002

I haven’t heard one; I was writing merely based on what I know about equipment designed for professional users vs. home users.

However, looking at Bag End’s website I see they make subs specifically for home theater, so I guess what I said before doesn’t really apply in this case.

However, consider this:
        • Bag End does tend to be a bit pricey.
        • If Bag End is willing to sell you a sub directly they are probably charging you manufacturer’s list.
        • You better be absolutely sure that’s what you want, because I’m sure in this situation there is no return.
        Bottom line, I still think you could do better for the money buying something that’s available locally.

Regards,
        Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Comment

• stantheman2
          • Apr 2004

Look at the latest "Ultimate AV" magazine (formerly known as Stereophile Guide to Home Theater". It has a positive review of a 12" Bag End sub, but the reviewer liked their 18" sub better. However, the reviewer points out that a Hsu VTF-3 sub gives the same performance for less than half the money. As I recall, Sterophile gave the VTF-3 a "gold" (best) recommendation. And no, I don't work for Hsu.

Comment

• javis
            • Jun 2004

stantheman2
            Your right!
            The HSU Research VTF-3 sub is receiving excellent reviews. In fact there whole product range is. This I like -They have a 30 day full refund "send it back policy " if it doesn't perform substantially better than any retail subwoofer costing 2-3 times the money. Not such a shabby deal!

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"