New line of Vienna Acoustics speakers this Fall?...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • caleb1995
    • May 2004

New line of Vienna Acoustics speakers this Fall?...

I just spoke with a Sumiko rep. who confirmed that Vienna will be introducing new versions of its Bach, Mozart and Beethoven speakers sometime this Fall or later this year.

He mentioned that the veneers would likely be changing (the Beech veneer will be changed to a lighter, Maple-like color) and the performance would also be changing, but he did not mention how. They will also be introducing a new speaker altogether in between the Haydn and Bach.

Does anyone have any further details on the new speakers Vienna plans to introduce? Maybe someone has seen prototypes? I'm mulling a new purchase of Vienna's and am now concerned that the new new thing is around the corner and I'll be stuck with the old stuff.

Thanks.
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

With new ones that close I'd probably wait. It'll be interesting to see how they look and how they improve them sonically :P

Jason
    Jason

Comment

• Danbry39
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Sep 2002

First of all, I really loved their old veneer, but imagine they'll do as good a job with the new flavor.

As for their sonic footprint, if I had to guess, I'd think they'd be moving to a bit less warm sound. That's what I noticed when I heard their on-wall speakers. Just a guess though.
      Keith

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

I've never heard Vienna A. I'm sure they are quite nice as is, and would be improved likely if changed. Fantastic name, Vienna Acoustics.

Lex
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Kevin P
          • Aug 2000

Viennas are great looking speakers. I can't say I've ever heard them, but if they sound as good as they look, you'll be going 8O when you hear them.

Comment

• senorjim
            • Nov 2004

I am in the same boat of purchasing the Vienna speakers. The advantage of purchasing the Vienna speakers is that a $200 discount is offered. Only a limited are still available.

If you decide to go with the new Vienna I have heard that they will sound a bit softer.. (Dont know how true that is but this from the retailer selling me the speakers).

I do have a question, on my purchase. I am deciding on the Haydn or the Bach as my fronts (Later I will upgrade to bigger speakers). The difference in cost is $220, because the Haydn will include some $450 fancy speaker stands that can be filled with sand (30 lbs w/out sand). I will have to purchase a subwoofer (any recommendations on a woofer) because I dont think I will get the lows that I want for such small speakers... Is it worth spending the extra $220 for the Bach? Any suggetstions will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Lex
              I've never heard Vienna A. I'm sure they are quite nice as is, and would be improved likely if changed. Fantastic name, Vienna Acoustics.
              Hey Lex, they are owned by the same parent company (Sumiko) as Sonus Faber.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• David Meek
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by senorjim
                I will have to purchase a subwoofer (any recommendations on a woofer) because I dont think I will get the lows that I want for such small speakers... Is it worth spending the extra $220 for the Bach? Any suggetstions will be appreciated.
                The Bach's are floorstanders, the Haydn's are monitors
                The Bach's are spec'd at 38 Hz-22 kHz, the Haydn's are 42 Hz-20 kHz,
                The Bach's are rated at 90 dB sensitivity, the Haydn's are 89 dB
                The Bach's have a 7" mid-woofer, the Haydn's a 5.5"
                They both have the same 1" silk dome tweeter and a similar cross-over (from what their site shows)

With the Bach's a touch more sensitive, and playing over a slightly wider range, on paper I'd go with them. However, one comment - it can be trickier to properly cross-over from a 1" to a 7" driver than it is a 1" to a 5.5". If you can audition both, do so with music you are familiar with and let your ears be the judge.

Comment

• gymguymass
                  • May 2004

great speakers to choose from. i have heard both, though i do prefer the bach's. for their size, in the right room, they offer fantastic sound and decent bass. they are certainly not a rocker's type speaker, although at lower volumes they do ok. if you have the money, the bach's paired with a good sub(the company that distributes viennas in the us, sumiko, also handles rel - who makes a great range of subs). to me, the bach sound a bit warmer and fuller. in either case, i think you will be happy as both are easy to listen to. good luck...

Comment

• senorjim
                    • Nov 2004

Thank you for the quick response. I will lean more toward the Bach after hearing the recommendations. The price on them is $1500 for a pair of brand new wood veneers. Is that good (just curious)?

I wish I could listen to more speakers out there, but the area of San Antonio has only a few places to select good quality speakers (in the $2000 range). The stuff mention on the HTG forums are speakers only seen on magazines.

Oh well... just wanted to let you know what kind of selections I have here. Again Thank you for the responses.

Comment

• David Meek
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Jaime, what about Oade Bros. (sic?). Are they still around?

$1500 isn't a bad price for Bach's, but hey, tell the dealer you'll give him $1300 and go from there. FYI, a while back I was seriously looking at the Beethovens for my mains. Viennas are a good choice IMO.

Comment

• senorjim
                        • Nov 2004

I tried to deal with the retailer (Home Theater Innovations), but that was the lowest price he gave me $1449 vs the retail value of $1649 (wood veneer). I don't know the Oade Bros or have heard of them, unless you are talking of the owner of Home Theater Innovations which his name is Ollis (I think)... The good thing about Home Theater Innovations is that they have great customer service and are willing to work with you.

I have listened to the Beethovens speakers and those are awesome speakers (what detail). The more I think about it I could buy some of those, since I was willing to spend an extra grand on a subwoofer if I go with the Bachs. I dont know how it would compare if I go with a seperate subwoofer in comparison to the stand alone Beethovens. I have to take another visit...

Here are two other good speakers I was considering before the Viennas:

B&W - 805
                        Paradigm - ref 40v3 or 60v3

Just curious, but David what speakers did you go with instead of the Viennas?

Comment

• David Meek
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Uh, I overspent a little bit.

I went with Aerial Acoustics Model 7B's.

Comment

• senorjim
                            • Nov 2004

Oh, man those are nice...!!!

Comment

• Bill Blank
                              • Sep 2002

SUMIKO is only the North American importer/distributor for Vienna Acoustics and Sonus Faber as well as REL and Pro-Ject.

I lived with a full Vienna setup for over two years, consisting of Mozarts/Haydns/Maestro and in the end made the upgrade (more of a lateral move in the right direction for me) to Paradigm's Version 3 Studio Reference speakers 100/20/CC-470.

I found the Viennas too polite with rock recordings, sucking all and any emotion from them. They simply didn't communicate that genre (my favorite) correctly.

Their cabinetry is among the best I've ever seen though. All of my speakers were in Beech and it was absolutely gorgeous.

Bill

Comment

• jamezyjamez
                                • Dec 2004

Nice to finally find some Vienna people online....

Quick question for all. I currently have the following setup:

Vienna Haydn/Maestro for front/center
                                Old, weak amplifier (80w x 5 or so)

Let's say you had $750, what would be your next purchase - sub, surrounds, or receiver? Any recommendations on which brand/model for this price range?

I'm typically a music person, but am wanting to get the home theater and multi-channel audio thing going now and purchased the Maestro most recently to start heading in that direction.

Anyhow, I appreciate any input or advice any of you may have. Thanks and take care.

Comment

• gd
                                  • Jan 2003

With $750, huh?

I would get a sub from one of the Big 3 online dealers (SVS, Hsu, Adire)... you're looking at $450 and upwards... if you have money left, I'd add a very inexpensive pair of surrounds (temporary, while you save up for another pair of Haydns to eventually replace them).

With a sub in place, and fronts / center / rears set to small and properly calibrated, there will be less stress on your "old, weak amplifier 80w x 5 or so" (which I assume is actually a DD/DTS-capable digital AV receiver, yes?)... if so, the receiver upgrade can wait.

Much is dependent on your room and your listening preferences, of course... but going with a sub first is a significant step forward in developing a 5.1 system.
                                  greg (gd to you)
                                  Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
                                  production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• ThomasW
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

what about Oade Bros. (sic?). Are they still around?
                                    Still Open - Oade Brothers Audio ! : - Clearance Service Upgrades DAT recorder repair, Blank DAT tapes, Roland R26, PMD620MKII, PMD661, PMD-661MKII, PMD-661MKIII, PMD-561, PMD-706, Roland R44e, HDP2, FR2, FR2LE, PMD661MKII, PMD661MKIII, Digital recorders, Pro audio repair, keyboard repair, tube amplifier experts, Vintage Fender Tweed Deluxe Electric Guitar Amp-5B3, Factory Authorized Service, Fender, Peavey, Roland, B-52, Egnater

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• David Meek
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2000

Thomas, for some odd reason I'd thought they were physically in San Antonio.

Comment

• jamezyjamez
                                        • Dec 2004

Appreciate the help, gd. I've been checking out the SVS for a while now...deciding between the cylinder and the box, as well as which model (the $599 models seem decent). Every path leads to more choices, eh?

Thanks again and take care.

Comment

• Bill Blank
                                          • Sep 2002

A sub added more to the experience for me when I was building my first surround speaker package than the surrounds did.

As mentioned, I'd get a sub with that money and save up for a pair of Mozarts for up front (they share the same tweeter as the Maestro) and use the Haydns as surrounds.

Bill

Comment

• senorjim
                                            • Nov 2004

Just to let everyone know that the new Vienna's are out!!!! I have seen them and they look the same, except the grill has a "V" shape and the wood veneer is a bit different. They sound nice like 5% better than the replacement, but the price tag is roughly $400 more. At least that is what they were here in San Antonio. Hope that helps. Peace.

Comment

• GregoriusM
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Oct 2000

My dealer here in Winnipeg has the Vienna line, and I don't think I've heard anything nicer. I like a slightly softer, warmer, yet still detailed speaker, and the VA's blew me away!

A bit too much $$$ for me right now though. The new Haydn Grands, their least expensive speaker, MSRPs for $1699 CAD.

Some day though!
                                              Gregor

Comment

Working...
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"