X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nezz621
    • Dec 2006

How does your room effect the sound of your speakers

I've researching my Dayton TMWW, and people hve been saying how different rooms change the sound characteristics of speakers. I've heard that the TMWW need the right room in order to sound correctly.

So my question is... How much will it matter if i dont have the right room?

Currently im getting ready to move into an appartment so im not sure what my room will look like.
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

It always matters.

How close to walls is probably the biggest issue, which may alter how much baffle step compensation you really want to have. But too much can often be handled simply - say, turn down the bass on your receiver (assuming you have such capability in your system).

Some things can be solved with simple room treatment, others with more involved room treatment.

ALL speakers have the same issues (though different radiation patterns work differently - dipoles have different restrictions than monopoles, for example).

C
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• BobEllis
      Super Senior Member
      • Dec 2005

The room makes a big difference. The best sounding orientation might not be what you'd envision. Room treatments can salvage a less than ideal space. Look into the threads on absorbers and diffusers.

I have a space ~11x20 that opens up halfway along one wall to the dining area (typical joined living and dining room). The half wall opens up to the kitchen. When I initially set up with the speakers along the 11 foot wall I couldn't get decent sound without fairly significant treatments to absorb the first reflections.

I turned the system 90 degrees so that the speaker closest to the corner is 4 feet from a side wall. This places my listening position close to a 2.5' wide section of wall. I treated it in much the same way as the "aeropanel" or something like that in a thread here - basically 4" of fairly tightly packed fiberglass in a grill cloth covered frame that covers the wall section behind me. With a passthrough to the kitchen on one side and open space on the other, I do OK.

Imaging is MUCH better than before, as is detail, since it doesn't get muddied in early reflections. This arrangement also allowed me to put my subs in spots that help minimize room modes. Do I wish I had open space behind my listening position? Yes. Do I get very pleasing sound out of the current configuration? Yes again.

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Check out RPG Acoustics for some insight into this topic.
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• warnerwh
          • Jan 2006

Also there's a wealth of info at www.realtraps.com including videos. We all are affected by our rooms. It can make a huge difference, more than changing speakers even.

Comment

• auchain

I even didn't konw the room change the sound so much. If the speakers didn't sound uncomfortable, then I wound not change the speakers' position.

Comment

• sendler
              • Oct 2008

Room treatment

Room treatment is very important and one of the most cost effective upgrades you can make to your audio system. Carpeting or rugs are something that any "interior decorator" can be talked into. Speaker placement should be considered as they will sound much better if placed out from the front wall. My room is 16' by 14' by 8.5' and my tweeters are out 53" from the front wall on solid stands. If you can't leave them that far out into the room then place a small mark into the carpet with a piece of masking tape or something so that you can move them back into position for serious listening sessions. My listening position also places my ears out from the back wall 39". Again, you can move things into better position for listening if you can't leave them for the best sound all of the time. Move around and listen for the best sound. Wall treatments are more difficult to sell to the "decorator" but are crucial to the best sound. Heavy quilts don't cost that much and can be chosen to add to the decor. Heavy draperies work well also. The key places are in the corners behind the speakers and at the first reflection point of the sidewalls. I use a queen size quilt for each and one on the wall behind me. Sit in the listening position and have a helper hold a hand mirror against the walls in various places. Wherever you see the speakers in the mirror is a reflection point. It is possible to use too much absorption. I actually tried some absorption on the ceiling at the reflection point and covered up the video monitor which is between the speakers but removed it as it didn't improve the clarity at all and only served to rob some of the impact from the bass. For the final touch on absorption, treat all four corners of the ceiling with pieces of acoustic foam cut to fit about 18" of the xyz axis of the ceiling/walls. Your new room will sound much more detailed and quicker for music and even in conversation.

Comment

• ThomasW
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Is it really so difficult to do this?

Room treatment is very important and one of the most cost effective upgrades you can make to your audio system.

Carpeting or rugs are something that any "interior decorator" can be talked into.

Speaker placement should be considered as they will sound much better if placed out from the front wall.

My room is 16' by 14' by 8.5' and my tweeters are out 53" from the front wall on solid stands. If you can't leave them that far out into the room then place a small mark into the carpet with a piece of masking tape or something so that you can move them back into position for serious listening sessions.

My listening position also places my ears out from the back wall 39". Again, you can move things into better position for listening if you can't leave them for the best sound all of the time. Move around and listen for the best sound.

Wall treatments are more difficult to sell to the "decorator" but are crucial to the best sound. Heavy quilts don't cost that much and can be chosen to add to the decor. Heavy draperies work well also.

The key places are in the corners behind the speakers and at the first reflection point of the sidewalls. I use a queen size quilt for each and one on the wall behind me. Sit in the listening position and have a helper hold a hand mirror against the walls in various places. Wherever you see the speakers in the mirror is a reflection point.

It is possible to use too much absorption. I actually tried some absorption on the ceiling at the reflection point and covered up the video monitor which is between the speakers but removed it as it didn't improve the clarity at all and only served to rob some of the impact from the bass.

For the final touch on absorption, treat all four corners of the ceiling with pieces of acoustic foam cut to fit about 18" of the xyz axis of the ceiling/walls. Your new room will sound much more detailed and quicker for music and even in conversation.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• lbstyling
                  • Oct 2008

take a look at a behringer DEQ2496, there are many that swear by them. this is for stereo only though.

the eq'ing is done in the digital domain and the dac is jitter correcting. you can use your own dac if you like.- i understand it doesnt correct phase allignment. you need to pay a lot more for this.

UK's biggest Guitar Shop and Music Store, including Birmingham, London, Manchester, and Leeds Guitar Stores. Supplying musical equipment for over 30 years.

Comment

• Kevin Haskins
                    • Jan 2005

Good question, go buy this book. I'm finishing it up now and it has been an excellent summary of the research. It won't answer all questions but it gives you pretty good hints into what is important about the room for both 2-channel and multichannel reproduction.

Comment

• TacoD
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Kevin Haskins
                      Good question, go buy this book. I'm finishing it up now and it has been an excellent summary of the research. It won't answer all questions but it gives you pretty good hints into what is important about the room for both 2-channel and multichannel reproduction.

http://www.amazon.com/Sound-Reproduc...1645196&sr=1-1
                      I second this recommendation, the book is relatively cheap too!

Comment

• goskers
                        • Jun 2004

I triple agree that everyone should get this read. In my opinion, this is the best book I have ever read on audio as a whole. A pretty easy read considering the topic.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"