It's time for a Statement announcing my latest project..

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jim Holtz
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by ahaik
    Hi tpremo55,

You have a good point, so I think I will not glue the base to the speaker, just mount it with some screws (that's how it is connected now) and if it ever warps I guess I will have to build a new one (using plywood).
    I am also planning on painting the base, so I will look for a paint that gets absorbed deep in MDF to add some strength.

Thanks,
    Asi.
    Hi Asi,

I have my base screwed to the cabinet with deck screws rather than firmly attached so it can't be removed. I think it'll be easier to finish that way.

Jim

Comment

• kingpin
      • Jun 2006

Had some time to finish the bases yesterday :T and bring the speakers to the right height.

Welcome to the "Speaker Mile High Club"

Mike
      Call me "MIKE"
      "PROJECT OVERKILL" :B:B -WWMTMSS- :B:B
      "PROJECT OVERKILL" is now the :B:B "mini-me's" :B:B
      CLICK HERE TO SEE PROJECT OVERKILL
      CLICK HERE TO SEE ALL MY BUILD PICS
      "PROJECT OVERKILL" IS GOING UNDER THE KNIFE. :B :B "mini-me's :B :B !!
      Dual sealed 18" Mach-5 ixl 18.4 subs

Comment

• ahaik
        • Feb 2007

Originally Posted by Jim Holtz
        Hi Asi,

I have my base screwed to the cabinet with deck screws rather than firmly attached so it can't be removed. I think it'll be easier to finish that way.

Jim
        Hi Jim,
        Good thinking, that was my thought too, was planning to glue them after I finish the veneering, but now with the warp "threat" (though I doubt they will) I will keep them screwed in.

Originally Posted by kingpin
        Welcome to the "Speaker Mile High Club"

Mike
        As Albert use to say, everything is relative :W

Comment

• Jim Holtz
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Statements design is now posted...

For those of you that have been waiting, here is a link to the Statements design on Curt's website.

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

Enjoy! :T

Jim

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Cool..... :B

If anyone (Asi?) wants to create a full-blown build thread using Curt's documentation, we'll put it in the Missions Accomplished section.

The other option is I can create a build thread by copying posts in this thread.

Question to both Curt and Asi, do either of you guys have more pics of the actual construction process?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• ahaik
              • Feb 2007

Thomas,
              I have some more pictures of the cabinet construction, not a lot though. My back panel is not glued yet so I can pop it open and take more pictures.
              The construction is pretty straight forward because the boxes are square, the only tricky part is aligning the mid "tunnels to the back panel, I can explain how I did it (it worked good for me), maybe Jim did it better then me.
              Unfortunately I did not take pictures of the crossovers, but I can take some when I open the back panel.
              There is some good information in this thread, I can copy it to the new thread.
              I will be happy to start a new thread if its ok with Jim and Curt (Jim ?).

Asi.

Comment

• Dennis H
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Aug 2002

Nice job, guys! :T

Between the CAD drawings on Curt's page and the pic Jim posted on the first page of this thread, the construction looks pretty clear.

Last edited by theSven; 20 March 2023, 20:22 Monday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Instead of starting a new separate build thread I edited Jim's first post to include the drawings from Curt's webpage.

Since build questions have been asked and answered in this thread it will be the official build thread, and this will eventually become a sticky thread in the Missions Accomplished section.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by ThomasW
                    Instead of starting a new separate build thread I edited Jim's first post to include the drawings from Curt's webpage.

Since build questions have been asked and answered in this thread it will be the official build thread, and this will eventually become a sticky thread in the Missions Accomplished section.
                    Hi Thomas,

That works too. Thanks for your help! :T

Jim

Comment

• ---k---
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Nov 2005

Dumb question, who is Wendel?
                      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by ---k---
                        Dumb question, who is Wendel?
                        Hi Ryan,

Wayne is a friend of Curt and myself that lent his sharp ears to the project. Wayne is quite a bit younger than Curt and I and has exceptional hearing ability. Wayne handled the voicing portion of the project.

Here's a link to the 2006 Iowa DIY event web page with all of our pictures. Wayne is labeled as Wayne W. Of course I'm much younger, slimmer and even better looking than how I appear in my pictures. :rofl:

Jim

Comment

• ---k---
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Nov 2005

Cool.

Link???
                          - Ryan

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Mar 2005

Cool.

Link???
                            Well DUH! Sorry about that. ops: Here's the link:

Jim

Comment

• ---k---
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Nov 2005

It looks like we took Curt's geocity account down! it won't load for me right now.
                              - Ryan

Comment

• ahaik
                                • Feb 2007

Originally Posted by ThomasW
                                That was my opinion too just felt too green :B to say it.
                                There is good information here. I also have some Emails and PMs from Jim answering my questions, I will summerize it and post it too.

Asi.

Comment

• howburger
                                  • Jul 2005

These sound like they may be exactly what I'm looking for. My guess is that these will capture much interest, not so profound a statement(no pun intended) I guess, with over 8,000 views so far. I haven't read the entire thread yet, but have you determined the efficiency of them yet?

Harold
                                  Because I'm the man in black.........

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by howburger
                                    These sound like they may be exactly what I'm looking for. My guess is that these will capture much interest, not so profound a statement(no pun intended) I guess, with over 8,000 views so far. I haven't read the entire thread yet, but have you determined the efficiency of them yet?

Harold
                                    Hi Harold,

I'm guessing that the Statements are 88-89 DB. They're an easy load to drive. Impedance never dips below 4 ohms and averages above that so any good amp or receiver shouldn't have any problem with them.

Jim

Comment

• howburger
                                      • Jul 2005

Thanks Jim!
                                      Because I'm the man in black.........

Comment

• ahaik
                                        • Feb 2007

Hi Jim,

Do you see any performance issues with putting a grill on them ?

Thanks,
                                        Asi.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • Mar 2005

Hi Jim,

Do you see any performance issues with putting a grill on them ?

Thanks,
                                          Asi.
                                          Hi Asi,

No problem with a grill for casual listening but for any kind of serious listening, I'd take them off. The crossover is designed with out a grill on the speaker. Anything you hang around the drivers will change the frequency response. I will be putting a small grill on the back too which will cover the openings on the mids. Those could stay on all the time with out issue, IMHO.

Those are my thoughts anyway.

Jim

Comment

• Arthur
                                            • May 2007

Congratulations! It is a very nice design, and it seems well studied.
                                            Have you considered a 1/2 version for people that have smaller rooms?
                                            Have you encountered any problems with the mids? Asking it because I read somewhre that TB's might have some FR/Impedance/T/S variations....

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Arthur
                                              Congratulations! It is a very nice design, and it seems well studied.
                                              Have you considered a 1/2 version for people that have smaller rooms?
                                              Have you encountered any problems with the mids? Asking it because I read somewhre that TB's might have some FR/Impedance/T/S variations....
                                              Hi Arthur,

Thank you for the kind words.

Yes, there are other designs which will support or be similar to the Statements concept in progress. We're not ready to announce yet and it'll probably be late summer/early fall before anything would be completed.

I know that wasn't a simple yes or no but we're just not ready to talk about the next step yet.

This is the only Tangband I've used but I've been very impressed with the build quality. It's a really well built driver that seems to have a very good and low distortion motor structure. It doesn't look or sound like an economy driver.

Jim

Comment

• jonathanb3478
                                                • May 2006

Wow. I haven't (still) gotten that far in my RS TMWW project, I have to try really hard to keep my self from switching "horses" in mid stream, once I can start on speaker building again.

"Must finish one before starting another... Must finish one before starting another... Must finish one before starting another..."

Sounds like a great project. I (or someone I know) will own a pair of these made by me in the future, I am sure of it. Big is beautiful, right? :B
                                                Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
                                                -Vernon Sanders Law

Comment

• Sefferdog
                                                  • Apr 2006

I have emailed Jim with several questions regarding the Statement project and have finally started construction, albeit a very meager start. I have the front and rear baffles cut. I am going to go with 1.5" front baffles.

I have the woofers and mids; the tweeters and all other crossover/construction parts will be here Monday.

Jim suggested I document my efforts in a build thread and I was wondering if that would be here, or should I start a new thread? I will take and post pictures throughout.

If anyone is considering this project and wants any pics of a particular part of the construction process that I do not post please ask and I will take some of the requested section.

Thanks,

Wade

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Sefferdog
                                                    I have emailed Jim with several questions regarding the Statement project and have finally started construction, albeit a very meager start. I have the front and rear baffles cut. I am going to go with 1.5" front baffles.

Thanks,

Wade
                                                    Hi Wade,

If you use a 1 1/2" front baffle be sure to really open up the back of the mid opening so the W4's aren't in a tunnel. I've switched to 1 1/4" front baffles because of this issue. The extra 1/4" does help open things up.

I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.

Jim

Comment

• TurboFC3S
                                                      • Nov 2006

The problem is that I am planning on veneering them. I want a whole piece for each of the surfaces so I can't have round corners.

Jim,
                                                      Since having no roundover corners makes the buffle width larger is that significant ?
                                                      If it is I can probably bevel the sides a bit.
                                                      Sure you can veneer over rounded corners, you either need paperbacked veneer or to treat raw veneer with one of the softeners that lets it bend without cracking. The most visually stunning way to do it is find two bookmatched pieces big enough to cover 1/2 the front and one of the sides. Use veneer tape to match them up, and put the bookmatched line right down the middle of the front and wrap around the corners with the iron-on glue.

I've been able to wrap raw wood around corners before with no treating, of course I have a 1.5" roundover bit which helps

Another thing you could do, go ahead and veneer the back, sides, and top. Veneer the sides right up to the front baffle and the put the roundover on. Next step would be to take something like a 90 degree bevel bit and with an edge guide put a small groove vertically on the side right where the roundover ends, and the same along the top panel. Then prime, sand, and finish the front totally smooth - tape along the edge of the veneer and apply an automotive finish. If you go with a light veneer, do a silver/titanium front. If you do darker veneer like bubinga, do a metallic black front baffle.

Comment

• Sefferdog
                                                        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
                                                        Hi Wade,

If you use a 1 1/2" front baffle be sure to really open up the back of the mid opening so the W4's aren't in a tunnel. I've switched to 1 1/4" front baffles because of this issue. The extra 1/4" does help open things up.

I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.

Jim
                                                        Thanks for the heads up Jim, I will be sure to do that! :lol:

Comment

• ahaik
                                                          • Feb 2007

Thanks for the heads up Jim, I will be sure to do that! :lol:
                                                          I would even suggest cutting much larger holes in the interior 3/4" MDF behind the mids (say 5" x 5" the size of the tunnels).

During my build I asked Jim if I should "chamfer" the foam around the mids.
                                                          Jim suggested moving the foam 1" back. I actually did both and I think it works well (just cut the foam with a good pair of scissors, not utility knife).

Take a lot of pictures during your build, I didn't and I'm sorry for that.
                                                          Good luck with your build, I hope you will like them as much as I do.

Asi.

Comment

• ahaik
                                                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by TurboFC3S
                                                            Sure you can veneer over rounded corners, you either need paperbacked veneer or to treat raw veneer with one of the softeners that lets it bend without cracking. The most visually stunning way to do it is find two bookmatched pieces big enough to cover 1/2 the front and one of the sides. Use veneer tape to match them up, and put the bookmatched line right down the middle of the front and wrap around the corners with the iron-on glue.

I've been able to wrap raw wood around corners before with no treating, of course I have a 1.5" roundover bit which helps

Another thing you could do, go ahead and veneer the back, sides, and top. Veneer the sides right up to the front baffle and the put the roundover on. Next step would be to take something like a 90 degree bevel bit and with an edge guide put a small groove vertically on the side right where the roundover ends, and the same along the top panel. Then prime, sand, and finish the front totally smooth - tape along the edge of the veneer and apply an automotive finish. If you go with a light veneer, do a silver/titanium front. If you do darker veneer like bubinga, do a metallic black front baffle.
                                                            Thank you very much for the tips.
                                                            Two problems for me:

1. its hard for me to find large pieces of veneer to cover the whole side, so a side + half baffle would be much harded (I can't afford a full price so I shop on Ebay).

2. I am very scared of bookmatching, is it really hard to do like I feel.

The groove suggestion sound good though I will definitally consider that.

Asi.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                              • Mar 2005

Thank you very much for the tips.
                                                              Two problems for me:

1. its hard for me to find large pieces of veneer to cover the whole side, so a side + half baffle would be much harded (I can't afford a full price so I shop on Ebay).

2. I am very scared of bookmatching, is it really hard to do like I feel.

The groove suggestion sound good though I will definitally consider that.

Asi.
                                                              Hi Asi,

The Oakwood Veneer company ( http://www.oakwoodveneer.com/ ) is my 1st choice for veneer. Their products and service are superb. If you're going to use the iron on method, standard paper back veneer is fine. The problem is, it'll take two sheets to veneer the Statements due to the 55" height and 16 1/2" sides. That would be one 4x10 and one 4x8.

We're looking forward to pictures! :T

Jim

Comment

• ahaik
                                                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
                                                                Hi Asi,

The Oakwood Veneer company ( http://www.oakwoodveneer.com/ ) is my 1st choice for veneer. Their products and service are superb. If you're going to use the iron on method, standard paper back veneer is fine. The problem is, it'll take two sheets to veneer the Statements due to the 55" height and 16 1/2" sides. That would be one 4x10 and one 4x8.

We're looking forward to pictures! :T

Jim
                                                                Thanks Jim,
                                                                Did some reading about the iron on veneer method. I think I will try to do some bookmatching on leftovers that I have and then I'll decide which direction to go.

Asi.

Comment

• Sefferdog
                                                                  • Apr 2006

I would even suggest cutting much larger holes in the interior 3/4" MDF behind the mids (say 5" x 5" the size of the tunnels).

During my build I asked Jim if I should "chamfer" the foam around the mids.
                                                                  Jim suggested moving the foam 1" back. I actually did both and I think it works well (just cut the foam with a good pair of scissors, not utility knife).

Take a lot of pictures during your build, I didn't and I'm sorry for that.
                                                                  Good luck with your build, I hope you will like them as much as I do.

Asi.
                                                                  Asi,

I had planned on cutting the interior 3/4 MDF somewhat larger to accomodate the thicker baffle but I had not thought about the foam. Thank you for pointing that out.

As for pics I will take a lot of them and post as many as I can.

Thanks,

Wade

Comment

• Sefferdog
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Apr 2006

I finally got started on this project. I was hoping to get most of the cabs built tomorrow but I forgot about our office picnic. I am obligated to be there so that shoots tomorrow!

I offer up a couple of pics as proof I have actually made some sawdust. :T I think the Statement part comes in when my wife sees the size of them, I am sure she will make a "Statement" or two. 8O

Click image for larger version

Name:	day11.jpg
Views:	576
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	849044

Name:	day1.jpg
Views:	564
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	849045
                                                                    Last edited by theSven; 20 March 2023, 20:45 Monday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                                      • Mar 2005

I
                                                                      I offer up a couple of pics as proof I have actually made some sawdust. :T I think the Statement part comes in when my wife sees the size of them, I am sure she will make a "Statement" or two. 8O
                                                                      Looking good! :T Thanks for the pictures.

Jim

Comment

• Sefferdog
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Apr 2006

Jim,

I have decided to build them with the MDF pass through, it will be less of a hassle that way! I am not going to worry with the PVC. Thanks.

Wade

Comment

• Sefferdog
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Apr 2006

Was going to call it a night but decided to make the cuts for the pass throughs. I've gone ahead and gotten a couple of them glued together. Hopefully more tomorrow! :Z

Name:	pass through.jpg
Views:	641
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	849046
                                                                          Last edited by theSven; 20 March 2023, 20:45 Monday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• ahaik
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Feb 2007
                                                                            • 233

Wade,
                                                                            Looks great :T , one more step towards total nirvana :B
                                                                            Good decision obout the PVC IMO, I don't really see any advantages to that (am I wrong ?) if its for looks, you don't really get to see the back.
                                                                            We can't wait for your review.

Asi.

Comment

• jonathanb3478
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • May 2006
                                                                              • 440

Was going to call it a night but decided to make the cuts for the pass throughs. I went ahead and got a couple of them glued together. Hopefully more tomorrow! :Z

Good to see a BT3100 or BT3000 engaged in making speakers!

Have you been to www.bt3central.com ?

Things look like things are coming together well.

Have you ordered the drivers and crossover components, yet? Just curious about how long 'till you might have listening impressions. I am interested in these, as well. Everyone's responses have been very positive, but there have not been (strictly speaking) a lot of responses for this one, yet.
                                                                              Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
                                                                              -Vernon Sanders Law

Comment

• Sefferdog
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Apr 2006
                                                                                • 197

Jonathon,
                                                                                I have been to BT3 Central many times, a very informative site.

I have the woofers and mids here now, the rest of the pieces and parts are due here Monday. I would love to be listening to these next weekend, but realstically I am shooting for the end of the month.

One thing that plays into my favor in a big way is the fact that my wife is flying up to her mother's this coming Wednesday and will be gone throughout the weekend. :B :B :B I will probably play hooky from work Thurs. & Fri. I could possibly have them stoked up by next weekend, but that would be a longshot. :E

I have the pass throughs completed and have started the main box construction, but today is really pretty much a wash as I have a command appearance at our annual company picnic. :M . I will keep you posted.

Name:	day2pt.jpg
Views:	593
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	849055

Name:	day2 box.jpg
Views:	2195
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	849056
                                                                                Last edited by theSven; 20 March 2023, 20:46 Monday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Sefferdog
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Apr 2006
                                                                                  • 197

Wade,
                                                                                  Looks great :T , one more step towards total nirvana :B
                                                                                  Good decision obout the PVC IMO, I don't really see any advantages to that (am I wrong ?) if its for looks, you don't really get to see the back.
                                                                                  We can't wait for your review.

Asi.
                                                                                  Asi,

I've spoken with Jim regarding the pass through construction, and you had mentioned you had some suggestions as well. Could I trouble you to share those with me? I PMed you how I plan to do them but I would like to hear how others have gone about it also. :huh:

Comment

• ---k---
                                                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                    • Nov 2005
                                                                                    • 5204

Wow. I'm feeling a bit inferior. I need more clamps! (Insert Tim Allen Tool Time Grunting)

:T
                                                                                    Last edited by theSven; 20 March 2023, 20:23 Monday. Reason: Update image location
                                                                                    - Ryan

Comment

• Sefferdog
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Apr 2006
                                                                                      • 197

Wow. I'm feeling a bit inferior. I need more clamps! (Insert Tim Allen Tool Time Grunting)

:T
                                                                                      Yea, I have a Harbor Freight store 4-5 minutes from my house, depending on traffic. I stop in quite regularly. When they have the bar clamps on sale I usually pick up a handful or three!

Comment

• Sefferdog
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Apr 2006
                                                                                        • 197

Not much accomplished today, but I do have 2 cabinets glued up and ready to start working on tomorrow. :T Tomorrow's plan is to get the bracing mounted, get both ports cut in, and depending on how much more I feel like doing I may possibly mount the pass throughs, although I am thinking that task would be easier once I had my front baffle routed. I may start routing baffles tomorrow.
                                                                                        Anyway, here are a couple of pics and as I get more accomplished I will add to them.

Name:	day2box2.jpg
Views:	548
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	849064

Name:	day2brace.jpg
Views:	573
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	849065
                                                                                        Last edited by theSven; 20 March 2023, 20:46 Monday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                          • Mar 2005
                                                                                          • 3223

Not much accomplished today, but I do have 2 cabinets glued up and ready to start working on tomorrow. :T Tomorrow's plan is to get the bracing mounted, get both ports cut in, and depending on how much more I feel like doing I may possibly mount the pass throughs, although I am thinking that task would be easier once I had my front baffle routed. I may start routing baffles tomorrow.
                                                                                          Anyway, here are a couple of pics and as I get more accomplished I will add to them.
                                                                                          Sefferdog,

Your progress is absolutely amazing. I am humbled by how rapidly both you and Asi are able to build cabinets. :T It takes me forever!

Jim

Comment

• ---k---
                                                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                            • Nov 2005
                                                                                            • 5204

Jim, if it makes you feel any better, it took me about 3 weeks to get one box done and probably will have the second one done in another week. I, too, don't know how they do it so fast.
                                                                                            - Ryan

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"