Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Scottg
    • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Evil Twin

..in principle, there is no reason that a conventional tower cabinet cannot be used..

Perhaps "Thrifty man's Ardent" is more accurate...

A basic tower just wouldn't hold the same appeal. ops:

Ardent definition: very enthusiastic.

Ardent synonym: Avid.

Avid definition: enthusiastic.

Budget oriented Ardent = Avid?

Comment

• Scottg
      • Nov 2006

-while I like the Tidal/Vimberg look, it makes the baffle even more complex (excepting the top angle) - which is probably a step in the wrong direction as far moving into a budget/builder-friendly build. ops:

Comment

• augerpro
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2006

Bear> someone just pinged me the other day that 3Dhubs quoted $42 for my waveguide with the SLS nylon process. Did you check that? Far superior to resin IMO.

ET> good to see the ZA14 considered. I was going to recommend it but the Dueland filter wouldn't really work with it, so I didn't mention it. As you can see though, the performance is so good it is hard to pass up because of 2nd order design constraints. I'd like to pair it with the SB21 on my waveguide in a high performance mini-monitor.
        ~Brandon 8O
        Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
        Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
        DriverVault
        Soma Sonus

Comment

• rsbonini
          • Feb 2019

Originally posted by augerpro
          Bear> ET>... good to see the ZA14 considered. I was going to recommend it but the Dueland filter wouldn't really work with it, so I didn't mention it. As you can see though, the performance is so good it is hard to pass up because of 2nd order design constraints.
          It appears that the most likely driver complement for the value oriented version will use the Zaph ZA14...

... results are very interesting for the ZA14. a system using the ZA14 is only feasible with the WA style crossover.
          Forgive my ignorance, but what about the ZA14 precludes it from being used in a Dueland configuration?

Comment

• dwk
            • Apr 2005

So are there really 3 systems in flight here? The 'thrifty' non-Dueland Anarchy/ZA15/DA25 model, the Dueland Anarchy/???/DA25 model and the potential upgrade to the Dueland model using the Accutons? Things move fast at DFAL and it's hard to keep up.

I took some time modeling the Anarchy drivers, and they really are pretty remarkable. Compared to the RSS210HF-4 I'd been considering, dual ported Anarchy gives you significantly more output than 2 sealed Daytons in the same volume (though that's pretty obvious), but surprisingly hangs very well even if you put the Daytons in 3-4 cu ft ported - the Dayton advantages are basically under 30Hz which is of less concern in a music-oriented system. Even if you put it in a conventional cabinet, the 'thrifty' model looks rather promising indeed. Definitely curious as to the mid choice for the Dueland model though, if the rest of the components stay the same - I have been intrigued by the concept since it appeared here (in the Neo-D CC, wasn't it?).

Comment

• dwk
              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by rsbonini
              Forgive my ignorance, but what about the ZA14 precludes it from being used in a Dueland configuration?
              The break-up mode occurs low enough that matching the Dueland transfer function becomes difficult - the break-up becomes somewhat 'in band'. You really need very extended bandwidth to pull off the Dueland topology.

Comment

• Evil Twin
                Super Senior Member
                • Nov 2004

Your lack of faith is disturbing...

There are two sides to this issue....

What combination of tools is the minimum to accomplish the full design intent?

What impact would a simple tower cabinet have on the results, apart from esthetics? (And one should not discount esthetics considering the many decisions in life most people make based largely on that...)

Consider a recent, similar but more challenging project, currently in storage in the outer rim pending a "peace" negotiation with my primary employer (warning: never negotiate with a Sith).

Click image for larger version

Name:	27863241442_9348826810_o.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	184.7 KB
ID:	936089

Name:	28651957915_f29139645e_o.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	227.8 KB
ID:	936090

Consider that it was built using a contractor table saw and a hand held circular saw... here you see when the facet detailing was implemented...

Name:	28681214485_bbf55fdf1d_o.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	361.4 KB
ID:	936091

As a nomad on the run from the insurgent rebellion, I have very limited tooling resources and space compared with skilled practitioners on the board such as Steve Manning and Renron.... they will tell you that my feeble misguided efforts at woodworking are for the most parts clumsy hacks, and I could hardly disagree with them, much as pride might urge me to do so...

Still, I would argue that the results in the end speak for themselves...

Name:	30612268296_73722bf3d6_h.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	290.3 KB
ID:	936092

I also promote the concept that a budget BOM does not mean a budget effort... sweat equity is the foundation of DIY.

But on to the other consideration- how much impact would the simpler front panel approach have?

The narrowing of the baffle width will alter the baffle step frequency for the tweeter, there is minimal impact on the midrange driver. But this occurs in a frequency range well outside the operating point of any of the Ardent tweeter crossover concepts, whether the original Duelund or the quasi LR3 concept of the Wavecor Ardent.

A completely conventional tower construction is feasible, but then, I think I can safely say that the effort loses some of the charm and first look impression...

That is up to potential builders to decide upon.

Do note that the tilted back cabinet front does have some other benefits for a system of this height- the midrange to tweeter and woofer integration has a limited vertical window, though broad with the LR3 crossover concept, and aiming it slightly upwards means there are more reverberant reflections from the ceiling, contributing to a slightly more uniform power response. Also, it means that at the listening position seated, one is near the bottom of the integration window, and standing up, one is more likely to still be within the upper limits of that window at any reasonable listening distance.

A reminder, I use the term LR3 only as a way to indicate a 3rd order crossover that is -6dB at the transition frequency for both drivers. There is no such Linkwitz-Riley alignment, of course, and in fact, using conventional measures and evaluation of crossover design, assuming the drivers have acoustic origins at the same distance, it won't work. The NatP and Wavecor Ardent crossovers use the time offset of the midrange and woofer drivers as an integral element of the crossover design, and the design must be matched to the drivers and wavelength distances.
                Last edited by theSven; 04 May 2023, 13:08 Thursday. Reason: Update image location
                DFAL
                Dark Force Acoustic Labs

A wholly owned subsidiary of Palpatine Heavy Industries

Comment

• Evil Twin
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Nov 2004

3rd order crossover -6 dB at transition

And a refresher regarding that crossover concept....

Name:	ThreeWayDesignStudy013_zps11be93d2.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	936093

Name:	ThreeWayDesignStudy014_zps126e3488.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	936094

Name:	ThreeWayDesignStudy015_zps75d261e4.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	936095

This is the basis for the transfer function of the Modula MT, Natalie P, and the HF crossover of the Isiris and the Wavecor Ardent.
                  Last edited by theSven; 04 May 2023, 13:09 Thursday. Reason: Update image location
                  DFAL
                  Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• augerpro
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Aug 2006

rsbonini> as mentioned above, the breakup of the ZA14 makes pulling off the 2nd order slopes tough. In my own testing as I got over 2.5khz LR4 an "edge" began to creep in. Now this was a shootout of woofers, all actively crossed to LR4 acoustic response but no special filtering to accommodate breakups. Because of that I never experimented to see if the issue is solvable (linear distortion) or not (non-linear distortion). That might be something ET wants to check for himself since the breakup is easy to notch on this woofer with a small cap across the first inductor. What I can say is if you cross 2.3khz LR4 or lower, it's the cleanest and most musical of the woofers in that test (SB15NRC, Scan Disco, PEerless Nomex, Dayton RS150P). And it sounded pretty much the same at all volumes until the I finally the bottomed the woofer. Impressive.

ET> what is the acoustic center difference for a given XO for that quasi-LR3?
                    ~Brandon 8O
                    DriverVault
                    Soma Sonus

Comment

• Steve Manning
                      • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Scottg
                      -while I like the Tidal/Vimberg look, it makes the baffle even more complex (excepting the top angle) - which is probably a step in the wrong direction as far moving into a budget/builder-friendly build. ops:
                      Hey Scott .... What we were looking at by reducing the budget for the drivers, by a considerable amount if all goes well, is allow folks some extra cash to put into the cabinet, or not if you don't want to. If you like the Vimberg look and don't have the desire to do it yourself, sub it out ..... I might know someone by the way. :W The design is also being looked at for the SMJ Audio TTC kits. Of course, as already mentioned, you have the good old tried and true, rectangular box. In other words it gives you more options.
                      Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

Comment

• Bear
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Dec 2008

Bear> someone just pinged me the other day that 3Dhubs quoted $42 for my waveguide with the SLS nylon process. Did you check that? Far superior to resin IMO.

ET> good to see the ZA14 considered. I was going to recommend it but the Dueland filter wouldn't really work with it, so I didn't mention it. As you can see though, the performance is so good it is hard to pass up because of 2nd order design constraints. I'd like to pair it with the SB21 on my waveguide in a high performance mini-monitor.
                        Just got a quote for $38 for the SLS. It's 100um, rather than 25um, but it's worth an experiment.

and yet again: thanks for the hard work pulling those together!
                        Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.

Comment

• augerpro
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Bear
                          Just got a quote for $38 for the SLS. It's 100um, rather than 25um, but it's worth an experiment.

and yet again: thanks for the hard work pulling those together!
                          FWIW I'm pretty sure DanP was printing my guides at 100um. You can see the layering along wall, but fine detail is still really good.
                          ~Brandon 8O
                          DriverVault
                          Soma Sonus

Comment

• Evil Twin
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Nov 2004

Time offset crossovers

rsbonini> as mentioned above, the breakup of the ZA14 makes pulling off the 2nd order slopes tough. In my own testing as I got over 2.5khz LR4 an "edge" began to creep in. Now this was a shootout of woofers, all actively crossed to LR4 acoustic response but no special filtering to accommodate breakups. Because of that I never experimented to see if the issue is solvable (linear distortion) or not (non-linear distortion). That might be something ET wants to check for himself since the breakup is easy to notch on this woofer with a small cap across the first inductor. What I can say is if you cross 2.3khz LR4 or lower, it's the cleanest and most musical of the woofers in that test (SB15NRC, Scan Disco, PEerless Nomex, Dayton RS150P). And it sounded pretty much the same at all volumes until the I finally the bottomed the woofer. Impressive.

ET> what is the acoustic center difference for a given XO for that quasi-LR3?

There is an optimum point, of course, but also some flexibility. The example shown, which is normalized to 1kHz, uses a 50mm offset- this produced the least overall perturbations when tweaked to as reasonably theoretically flat. This can be scaled directly from 1kHz for the chosen crossover frequency.

However, a larger time offset can be used with reasonably similar results, but then the optimization process will resemble "wack a mole" somewhat more, as flattening in one area will produce issues elsewhere. This a schematic assuming a 75mm driver time origin offset.

Name:	75mm 1kHz Schm.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	864618

And the resulting SPL plot.

Name:	75mm Graph Plot.jpg
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	864619

Now, Hawksford and others have published papers, some in the relatively distant past, about asymmetric crossovers, some using time offsets, most not. This can be thought provoking to research, and has resulted in an experimental concept for a couple of the recently proposed high efficiency/very low distortion design concepts.

An example for an 1800 Hz crossover is shown here....

Name:	1800Hz Asymmetric Schm.PNG
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	864620

The result, while not to as tight a tolerance as many might desire, enables high performance with certain physical classes and combinations of drivers...

Name:	1800Hz Asymmetric SPL Plot.jpg
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	864621

And has some very interesting characteristics... most interesting...

Name:	1800Hz Asymmetric GD Plot.jpg
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	864622
                            DFAL
                            Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• Evil Twin
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Nov 2004

This is what I would expect based on the measurements. Considering the dispersion characteristics, crossing higher than your suggestion would also be preferred, and notching break up modes is in my DNA, as one can see from the NatalieP.
                              DFAL
                              Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• Bear
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Dec 2008

FWIW I'm pretty sure DanP was printing my guides at 100um. You can see the layering along wall, but fine detail is still really good.
                                I just got back the SLS print. It's much better than my prior PETG prints, though I still prefer the Resin overall (smoother, more of a matte finish).

Comment

• rsbonini
                                  • Feb 2019

Thanks dwk, augerpro, and ET, for the responses. Makes perfect sense now.

Comment

• carlthess40
                                    • Jun 2019

There is an optimum point, of course, but also some flexibility. The example shown, which is normalized to 1kHz, uses a 50mm offset- this produced the least overall perturbations when tweaked to as reasonably theoretically flat. This can be scaled directly from 1kHz for the chosen crossover frequency.

However, a larger time offset can be used with reasonably similar results, but then the optimization process will resemble "wack a mole" somewhat more, as flattening in one area will produce issues elsewhere. This a schematic assuming a 75mm driver time origin offset.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29759[/ATTACH]

And the resulting SPL plot.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29760[/ATTACH]

Now, Hawksford and others have published papers, some in the relatively distant past, about asymmetric crossovers, some using time offsets, most not. This can be thought provoking to research, and has resulted in an experimental concept for a couple of the recently proposed high efficiency/very low distortion design concepts.

An example for an 1800 Hz crossover is shown here....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29761[/ATTACH]

The result, while not to as tight a tolerance as many might desire, enables high performance with certain physical classes and combinations of drivers...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29762[/ATTACH]

And has some very interesting characteristics... most interesting...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29763[/ATTACH]
                                    How would this crossover you’ve posted work for two 8ohm 8” woofers and one 8ohm tweeter? Will like to run the woofers at 4 ohms. And the crossover point is what I’d like to get to
                                    I’m using two Dayton audio woofers and a seas tweeter with a diy wood conical lens

Name:	3bb07365f272ebcd7b2d6761fb8e3708.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	2.74 MB
ID:	936096

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                    Last edited by theSven; 04 May 2023, 13:09 Thursday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Evil Twin
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Nov 2004

A practical two way example- the NatlieP

Originally posted by carlthess40
                                      How would this crossover you’ve posted work for two 8ohm 8” woofers and one 8ohm tweeter? Will like to run the woofers at 4 ohms. And the crossover point is what I’d like to get to
                                      I’m using two Dayton audio woofers and a seas tweeter with a diy wood conical lens

Click image for larger version  Name:	3bb07365f272ebcd7b2d6761fb8e3708.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.74 MB ID:	936096

This approach can probably be easily adapted to your requirements.

Do understand that the presented crossovers above are for "ideal" flat drivers to show electrical filter and time domain behavior, and do not include alterations necessary for baffle step compensation, driver equalization, and dealing with breakup modes.

For example, a practical realized filter using this approach was first developed for the NatlieP project, which was a two way system using Dayton RS180 and RS28a tweeter. Because of some "interesting" side benefits to the technique, I also made it a series crossover configuration, as some parts then do double duty.

Many are not used to the type of Dark side thinking necessary to intuitively envision the operation in this mode, and it was most amusing seeing them try...

Click image for larger version  Name:	NataliePSchm.jpg Views:	4 Size:	64.7 KB ID:	864623

Note that this system design dates back to 2005... we were all much younger then. I have had many requests for updates on this design, but now with the Peerless DA25 tweeter I have good reason to potentially revisit it- either with the same RS180 or another LF driver, pending further driver investigations.

If you are familiar with the overall steps needed to get data and arrive at a useful design, I won't recount them here- if not, let us know and I can outline the process, and possibly assist.
                                      Last edited by theSven; 04 May 2023, 13:10 Thursday. Reason: Update image location
                                      DFAL
                                      Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• carlthess40
                                        • Jun 2019

I’ll post the models and specs of the drivers when I have some time
                                        Great work you’re doing

Comment

• ergo
                                          • Mar 2005

Thank you Jon for educational material too. Interesting reading as always and a great idea to play these things through with ideal drivers. I for one should be doing that some more.

For me, beside the Xover tuning for the slope and summing etc is to get the 'home made in room' measurements conditioned so that I can trust the low frequency part below 1k. Not having too big a room and especially ceiling thats only 5.2m/8.1feet will limit the useful gating window too much. I've yet to come up with a good solution, but for now the best approach seems to be either to
                                          a) merge the short gated response and a long about 80ms gated and strongly smoothed response together with Merger ... leaves still very visible room modes and floor reflection into the response
                                          b) merge a short gated response and a near field response + baffle simulation together - makes a much smoother low end. I do verify that against the long gated one still to try to eyeball the reasonable match.

For 2 ways it's been working reasonably well, but now with latest OLA 2.5way design where woofers share the box, but later have a different Xover - there I've struggled a lot to get it right. The speakers are now finally at my friends place where they belong in the end. He's still tuning them even though we have gone through many physical Xover revisions already. I should just go the route Zvu presented in the other thread and rent a 'basketball court' and do it once and right

Anyhow, open to hearing your design flow and methods of tackling that aspect... or maybe you do not obsess that much about it at all in end and tune the low end by listening ?

Comment

• morbo
                                            • Nov 2004

I have to concur with the sentiment expressed above about the ZA14 - it has the cleanest midrange I have heard in my admittedly limited experience. I really think it's overlooked by many, I'm not sure if it's the cost, the looks, or limited distribution. In a way it's much like the Peerless tweeter; folks often seem to relegate them to budget builds when their performance is anything but.

In terms of the woofers used for this project; is the anarchy going to be it for sure? I ask because it seems to be even more limited in availability than the ZA14; at least madisound will ship internationally. I wonder if it might be possible to have an option using the Wavecor sw182bd02 - I understand it's very close to the anarchy woofer, only with an aluminum cone and wavecor motor instead. A pair of them models nicely in a moderate sized ported tower tuned low, something I've been eyeing lately.

Comment

• wolf_teeth
                                              • Feb 2011

The Anarchy has a black aluminum cone as well, so materials are not different.

Which Peerless tweeter? DQ25 (relevant to ZA14 discussions)? If that is the one you refer to, I find it to be a pretty cheap sounding junk driver and don't like the broadband glare it emits. Other Peerless tweeters are great, like the Corundum TX line.
                                              Different strokes for different folks.

Later,
                                              Wolf

Comment

• morbo
                                                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by wolf_teeth
                                                The Anarchy has a black aluminum cone as well, so materials are not different.

Which Peerless tweeter? DQ25 (relevant to ZA14 discussions)? If that is the one you refer to, I find it to be a pretty cheap sounding junk driver and don't like the broadband glare it emits. Other Peerless tweeters are great, like the Corundum TX line.
                                                Different strokes for different folks.

Later,
                                                Wolf
                                                The corondum DA25TX; as I understand it's the one being suggested for the designs discussed in this thread.

Didn't realize the anarchy had an aluminum cone as well, for whatever reason I tend to conflate it with the old extremis. I just remember reading Rick Craig somewhere saying they were essentially the same drivers as the Wavecors with different motors. I don't know how much (if at all) better the xbl^2 motor is than the wavecor 'balanced drive' motor, but if they're comparable it could give the design more longevity and wider appeal.

Comment

• Evil Twin
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Nov 2004

Originally posted by morbo
                                                  I have to concur with the sentiment expressed above about the ZA14 - it has the cleanest midrange I have heard in my admittedly limited experience. I really think it's overlooked by many, I'm not sure if it's the cost, the looks, or limited distribution. In a way it's much like the Peerless tweeter; folks often seem to relegate them to budget builds when their performance is anything but.

In terms of the woofers used for this project; is the anarchy going to be it for sure? I ask because it seems to be even more limited in availability than the ZA14; at least madisound will ship internationally. I wonder if it might be possible to have an option using the Wavecor sw182bd02 - I understand it's very close to the anarchy woofer, only with an aluminum cone and wavecor motor instead. A pair of them models nicely in a moderate sized ported tower tuned low, something I've been eyeing lately.
                                                  This is a reasonable suggestion on your part, but I do not believe the availability question is clear cut.

At this time, the sw182bd02 is not available from the US distributor. Solen in Canada has 4 pieces, priced at close out pricing, and with no backorders allowed. The normal MSRP for this driver is about $160 USD, but it seems to not really be available on an ongoing basis anymore.

There are composite glass fiber and paper versions, and paper cone versions, but they are have pronounced disturbances in the 1 - 1.5 kHz area response and the impedance curve which, for me, render them less desirable. The do not approach the linearity of behavior of the SW223BD02. And the pricing is close to 3X that of the Anarchy Exodus. While I am reasonably certain the design could probably be adapted to the Wavecor 182 series, provided sufficient motivation, at this time, that motivation does not seem to exist.

This is a special project for Steve Mannings “New Adventure” and the overall parameters require ruthless examination and implementation of all reasonable requirements. Perhaps, the unreasonable ones, too... Reducing the driver BOM cost by 85% is not a trivial undertaking... while targeting maintaining a demonstrably high degree of linear and non-linear performance.

I wholly agree with comments about the ZA14 being an over looked part. There is also one other type just ordred yesterday which may- or may not- give it some competition.
                                                  DFAL
                                                  Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• Evil Twin
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Nov 2004

Originally posted by ergo
                                                    Thank you Jon for educational material too. Interesting reading as always and a great idea to play these things through with ideal drivers. I for one should be doing that some more.

For me, beside the Xover tuning for the slope and summing etc is to get the 'home made in room' measurements conditioned so that I can trust the low frequency part below 1k. Not having too big a room and especially ceiling thats only 5.2m/8.1feet will limit the useful gating window too much. I've yet to come up with a good solution, but for now the best approach seems to be either to
                                                    a) merge the short gated response and a long about 80ms gated and strongly smoothed response together with Merger ... leaves still very visible room modes and floor reflection into the response
                                                    b) merge a short gated response and a near field response + baffle simulation together - makes a much smoother low end. I do verify that against the long gated one still to try to eyeball the reasonable match.

For 2 ways it's been working reasonably well, but now with latest OLA 2.5way design where woofers share the box, but later have a different Xover - there I've struggled a lot to get it right. The speakers are now finally at my friends place where they belong in the end. He's still tuning them even though we have gone through many physical Xover revisions already. I should just go the route Zvu presented in the other thread and rent a 'basketball court' and do it once and right

Anyhow, open to hearing your design flow and methods of tackling that aspect... or maybe you do not obsess that much about it at all in end and tune the low end by listening ?

Your questions are very valid, and yes, it might be interesting to do a complete discussion of current design flows in a separate thread- time constraint may delay that until December.

Anyhow, open to hearing your design flow and methods of tackling that aspect... or maybe you do not obsess that much about it at all in end and tune the low end by listening?
                                                    This is not left to chance or last minute listening test when the design is far along. For some system designs, such as bookshelf, there is not much one can do to control the final positioning. For more complete floor standing systems, this deserves considerable theoretical and practical evaluation before building cabinets. It should be addressed as part of the design flow discussion...

In my own situation, there are several "design studies" begun this year, for specific applications and sets of drivers which, regrettably, due to the press of any obligations and tasks for the Empire, must be temporarily set aside and put in abeyance. Or, specifically, in storage in the Outer Rim, where I plan to relocate in about 14 months.

I would offer one axiom, about design flow- there is not one "correct" design flow, but there are many "incomplete" or vulnerable design flows, which might leave important characteristics to chance. And there are some which could be labeled fatally flawed, too.... There has been a clear evolution of understanding on this topic on this and other boards over the last 15 years... at times interesting, most interesting....
                                                    DFAL
                                                    Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• Evil Twin
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Nov 2004

Is there another?

This one may be strong in the Force...

Name:	sb15nbac30-4.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	864624

Name:	sb15nbac-4-fr.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	864625

Name:	sb15nbac-4-spec.jpg
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	864626

And Steve tells me he finds the color most attractive....
                                                      DFAL
                                                      Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• wolf_teeth
                                                        • Feb 2011

It might be a cost thing, but I prefer the ceramic model to the aluminum. The sound is IMO unquantifiably better.
                                                        Later,
                                                        Wolf

Comment

• Evil Twin
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Nov 2004

That one is in the same shipment, but Steve has expressed a preference for the black cone material, and this is targeting the lowest feasible cost without sacrificing performance. But your input is duly noted and sets a specific target comparison for the planned listening tests.

How would you describe what the differences in sound are, and have you measured and correlated it to specific performance characteristics?

Unquantifiably better sounds as if you find that you prefer it, but you cannot quantify why- these situations arise, but generally they both merit and require more detailed investigation.
                                                          DFAL
                                                          Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• Bear
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Dec 2008

This one may be strong in the Force...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29765[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29766[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29767[/ATTACH]

And Steve tells me he finds the color most attractive....
                                                            Whilst knowing full well that this will elicit a remote Force Choke, the Khyber Lenses from the Professional Augurer (disguised as a simple person who makes holes for pay) might make a combination with the 26ADC model from the Sinar Baja system a worthy competitor to the Corundum conundrum. I believe that his model A.625 will offer an effective weapon against both the forces of "CTC" and those whose efforts seek to disturb the alignment of phase compared to the most worthy current champion of Coruscant.

Some files obtained by Bothan spies are being transmitted to the head of TIE Industries now.

Comment

• morbo
                                                              • Nov 2004

This is a reasonable suggestion on your part, but I do not believe the availability question is clear cut.

At this time, the sw182bd02 is not available from the US distributor. Solen in Canada has 4 pieces, priced at close out pricing, and with no backorders allowed. The normal MSRP for this driver is about $160 USD, but it seems to not really be available on an ongoing basis anymore.
                                                              Understood. I had only looked at the pricing quickly at solen, which is currently quite appealing. Didn't realize it was a closeout, or the there was no US distribution. I would probably prefer the anarchy anyway, but there's no canadian distribution, and DIYSG is not interested in shipping outside the USA so I have never considered it seriously. It certainly looks like a great driver though! I do like the direction this project is going, will be watching with interest!

Comment

• augerpro
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Bear
                                                                Whilst knowing full well that this will elicit a remote Force Choke, the Khyber Lenses from the Professional Augurer (disguised as a simple person who makes holes for pay) might make a combination with the 26ADC model from the Sinar Baja system a worthy competitor to the Corundum conundrum. I believe that his model A.625 will offer an effective weapon against both the forces of "CTC" and those whose efforts seek to disturb the alignment of phase compared to the most worthy current champion of Coruscant.

Some files obtained by Bothan spies are being transmitted to the head of TIE Industries now.
                                                                3D printing isn't quite up to Fleet contractor standards, more for dirty Rebs, but if ET is interested I can send two existing prints to test. One is for the SB26ADC and has a small throat, the other was for the TLabs ceramic. Because of the options the Peerless leaves you to mount it, it would be a good idea to test both versions, because while the smaller throat is preferred it might cause a problem with creating a cavity outside the surround, so we might be forced to use the larger throat.

I can also easily design something proprietary and just send an .stl or .step file. ET, IIRC the faceplate cannot be removed because the diaphragm is glued to it, correct?
                                                                ~Brandon 8O
                                                                DriverVault
                                                                Soma Sonus

Comment

• wolf_teeth
                                                                  • Feb 2011

More or less, I was saying they weren't my project or usage, and that someone else did the design. I heard the 2 versions of the Bromo kit from SB Acoustics, one withe black aluminum and one with ceramics. Both use the same xover network. I preferred the detail of the ceramic design and how more refined it sounded.

I know more people were also in agreement of one over the other, typically of the same opinion. We got to hear both in succession at the CSS/Meniscus DIY in September.

Unquantifiable as I can't quantify my findings since I don't have them myself,
                                                                  Wolf

Comment

• Evil Twin
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • Nov 2004

That is useful feedback, and I will have to complete my own investigations as planned...
                                                                    DFAL
                                                                    Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• Zvu
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Oct 2013

Very similar concept:

Ja, das Design kommt Ihnen bekannt vor. Richtig, von den großen Isophon-Boxen. Aber was ist dann das hier?

Vermutlich nimmt Dr. Roland Gauder es mir nicht übel, wenn ich ihn an dieser Stelle mal als „Lautsprecher-Nerd“ bezeichne. Und die gewaltige Berlina RC11 als seinen ganz persönlichen Urknall
                                                                      Tesla; George Carlin;

Comment

• Steve Manning
                                                                        Moderator
                                                                        • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Zvu
                                                                        Very similar concept:

Ja, das Design kommt Ihnen bekannt vor. Richtig, von den großen Isophon-Boxen. Aber was ist dann das hier?

https://www.hifitest.de/test/lautspr...lina_rc11_8508
                                                                        They were a big part of the inspiration for our design.

WEBSITE: http://www.smjaudio.com/

Comment

• Evil Twin
                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                          • Nov 2004
                                                                          • 1532

Originally posted by Zvu
                                                                          Very similar concept:

https://www.hifitest.de/test/lautspr...lina_rc11_8508

It is not the type of construction technique available to a home builder, yet with the proper execution it bypasses the issues common to DIY translam designs- something Steve and others on the board have frustrating experience with. It uses components in their most optimum mode, under compression, considering the pluses and minuses of available materials....
                                                                          DFAL
                                                                          Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• theSven
                                                                            Master of None
                                                                            • Jan 2014
                                                                            • 1059

i drove down to Steve's house this weekend to listen to the new adventure project. Steve gave me a tour of the workshop and a listening session. After the listening session I was sold, I knew I wanted a pair! The beauty is that I can still have some part in the process by getting to paint and assemble. The sound was amazing along with the high wife approval factor design, and I like them better then the wharfdales I'm using now. Needless to say I'm extremely excited to get a pair of these, and to see what John and Steve are creating for the HT design. Great work Steve and John on this project!

Sven
                                                                            Painter in training

Comment

• Steve Manning
                                                                              Moderator
                                                                              • Dec 2006
                                                                              • 1891

Thank you Sven .... very kind of you to say.

Comment

• Steve Manning
                                                                                Moderator
                                                                                • Dec 2006
                                                                                • 1891

Website ....

Well that long overdue website I mentioned a while back is finally up ........ http://www.smjaudio.com/

Comment

• ergo
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Mar 2005
                                                                                  • 676

Congrats on getting the website up. I hope with all the "sit at home" policies around the globe it will help drum up some new business as people have more time to dream and browse the web.

***

Just a tiny typo that I noticed - on a page

the image description is "Modular MTM" while I believe the original name is "Modula MTM"

Last edited by theSven; 04 May 2023, 13:11 Thursday. Reason: Update htguide url

Comment

• Steve Manning
                                                                                    Moderator
                                                                                    • Dec 2006
                                                                                    • 1891

Originally posted by ergo
                                                                                    Congrats on getting the website up. I hope with all the "sit at home" policies around the globe it will help drum up some new business as people have more time to dream and browse the web.

***

Just a tiny typo that I noticed - on a page

the image description is "Modular MTM" while I believe the original name is "Modula MTM"

https://www.htguide.com/forum/showth...uction-Details
                                                                                    Thanks Ergo ..... fixed it. Seems no mater how many times you go through it, you always miss something.
                                                                                    Last edited by theSven; 04 May 2023, 13:12 Thursday. Reason: Update htguide url

Comment

• Bear
                                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                                      • Dec 2008
                                                                                      • 1038

Originally posted by Steve Manning
                                                                                      Thanks Ergo ..... fixed it. Seems no mater how many times you go through it, you always miss something.
                                                                                      Never mind. It just took a long time to load on my end.

Comment

• theSven
                                                                                        Master of None
                                                                                        • Jan 2014
                                                                                        • 1059

Great work on the site! The build photos of the minervas was really cool seeing that process. That cabinet is a solid tank! The stands are some stylish eye candy too.
                                                                                        Painter in training

Comment

• Steve Manning
                                                                                          Moderator
                                                                                          • Dec 2006
                                                                                          • 1891

New Baffle Option

Just to let folks know, early tests on an actually 3D sculpted baffle looks rather promising. This has been on my list of things to figure out and was prompted by on going work into center channel designs by Jon.

Here are some pictures from the test run. This is essentially the same size baffle as what's on the Calliope MT.

Name:	DSC_4616_resize.JPG
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	865543

Name:	DSC_4617_resize.JPG
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	865544

Name:	DSC_4628_resize.JPG
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	865545

Name:	DSC_4622_resize.jpg
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	865546

Name:	DSC_4624_resize.jpg
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	865547

Comment

• theSven
                                                                                            Master of None
                                                                                            • Jan 2014
                                                                                            • 1059

That looks great! I like that look and think the Ardent D’s with a baffle like that would look irresistible for me. Would this also make assembling easier?
                                                                                            Painter in training

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"