X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by bigg
    I've heard that you need something like 300 or 400 psi of clamping force for a good bond when glueing up speaker cabinets. I don't know if this is really true. But some of my clamps are rated to do 1100 psi. How would you get this kind of pressure with vacuum clamping? Also, is there a point where the bonding agents need air to cure properly? Waiting on this project. :Z It's going to take too long to get my shop properly equipped. :T

These are valid points. You can't get anything lose to that kind of pressure with vacuum clamping. But then, you usually don't need it. Another point that has been raised on vacuum bag sites is not to leave the work in the bag too long (more than a few hours) to setup, as in some climates, mold starts growing.

The "serious" guys use two part glues like Unibond for vacuum veneering, so setup is not an issue. PVA glues start setup due to exposure to the air when you're applying to the substrate.

As with most things, it's a sensible combination of techniques that will get the job done- so while I use clamps, I also use additional panels for force spreading for working with anything thinner that 3/4" MDF, for example. This is very desirable/necessary just when gluing up 1/4" MDF to 3/4", for example.
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

Jon I was curious if you've tested the replacement for the C79 I believe its the C90-6-79. Just curious if it measures identical or if like other brands there may be slight differences and if they would matter and what not. I imagine you've thought of this though.

Comment

• Face
        • Mar 2007

As for the veneer, what's wrong with contact cement? I've only used it on a few projects, but have never had an edge peel, any bubbling, etc...
        SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Dougie085
          Jon I was curious if you've tested the replacement for the C79 I believe its the C90-6-79. Just curious if it measures identical or if like other brands there may be slight differences and if they would matter and what not. I imagine you've thought of this though.

It's just a different (new) part number for the same driver. Being an old fashioned kind of guy, I'm still using the old number, even though the number you cite is on the box of drivers I ordered for this project.
          the AudioWorx
          Natalie P
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Obi-Wan
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Face
            As for the veneer, what's wrong with contact cement? I've only used it on a few projects, but have never had an edge peel, any bubbling, etc...

If you have a technique that works for you, then by all means go with what works. I've used contact cement in the past, but more successfully for synthetic laminates. My experience is that it's hard to get the cement application consistent in thickness to where it doesn't affect the surface flatness, especially when using thin veneer (paper backed).

As I mentioned before, I've seem quite a few veneer jobs with unfortunate surface ripple and issues at DIY meets, and they were all contact cement jobs.

Some guys don't like iron on with PVA glue, but I have pretty good technique for that, and it works OK with paper backed veneer. But for this project, to get the quality and specific effects I wanted, I needed to use select solid veneer- which doesn't work well with iron on technique, nor, IMO, contact cement. So far using PVA cold press glue and mechanical press things are working quite nicely.

I wouldn't talk anyone out of using a technique that they've mastered and are comfortable with, though.

I'll be following up with a PM to you later today- by this evening, on the other topic. Need to do some CAD work and make more sawdust today!
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Obi-Wan
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Face
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by JonMarsh
              If you have a technique that works for you, then by all means go with what works. I've used contact cement in the past, but more successfully for synthetic laminates. My experience is that it's hard to get the cement application consistent in thickness to where it doesn't affect the surface flatness, especially when using thin veneer (paper backed).
              Understood.
              As I mentioned before, I've seem quite a few veneer jobs with unfortunate surface ripple and issues at DIY meets, and they were all contact cement jobs.
              That describes my first experience with CC.
              I'll be following up with a PM to you later today- by this evening, on the other topic. Need to do some CAD work and make more sawdust today!
              No rush, priorities first!

Comment

• Jed
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Apr 2005

Its not a replacement. Same driver... new name.

Comment

• Hdale85
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

Ok was just curious and wanted to make sure

Comment

• JonMarsh
                    Mad Max Moderator
                    • Aug 2000

Coming to you from my music server... :W

Just putting together piece part sheet drawings and thought I'd post another teaser screen shot... :B

Yeah, I'm fixing up my music server/speaker tester Mac Mini to also use for work and work/work, as I have to go into the office more often, and want to run full dual monitors, not a laptop and second monitor. So this is from my Mini, bless it's little heart.

As noted earlier, the midrange is in a tunnel, but not open back, though the sides do extend to the back for front to back bracing and for the assembly process.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ArdentSideOpen.png
Views:	7262
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	853433

And now, as ThomasW would say, more sawdust and less pixels. :W
                    Last edited by theSven; 14 May 2023, 21:28 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
                    the AudioWorx
                    Natalie P
                    M8ta
                    Modula Neo DCC
                    Modula MT XE
                    Modula Xtreme
                    Isiris
                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                    Minerva Monitor
                    Calliope
                    Ardent D

In Development...
                    Obi-Wan
                    Modula PWB
                    Calliope CC Supreme
                    Natalie P Ultra
                    Natalie P Supreme
                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• brucemck2
                      • Jan 2006

Edit : oops, too slow to post, already answered

Comment

• CraigJ
                        • Feb 2006

Just putting together piece part sheet drawings and thought I'd post another teaser screen shot... :B
                        You keep letting out those little teasers, and I'm gonna have my Ardent speaker done before you. :W O.K., you'll hear about it soon enough, here it is.

Have fun and as always, enjoy.

Craig

Name:	1247176059.jpg
Views:	1578
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	853434
                        Last edited by theSven; 15 May 2023, 11:48 Monday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Paul Ebert
                          • May 2004

I've turned this portion of the cabinet work over to Evil Twin, who is convinced that he can do all the veneering with mechanical cold press techniques (can't complain about how the front panel worked out).
                          I'm considering doing the same for the (very) front of my Trilliums. I would iron-on the facets. I'd be interested in any more details about this (what glue? any details about the press and techniques, etc.).

I've done some practicing with ironing on raw veneer (birdseye). I get some cracks, but less than I feared and nothing that a mixture of maple sawdust and epoxy can't make pretty much unnoticeable. But, I think the very front will be too large a surface and should be pretty easy to cold press.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                            Mad Max Moderator
                            • Aug 2000

Well, I've already done my fronts, Paul, but I'll be doing the sides and backs about the same way you describe, I think- if you're not in a hurry, you might as well wait and see if it works for me!! If so, you're good to go- if not, you'll know what won't work!

The basic concept is using clamping boards to distribute force, and using my copious quantity of Bessy style clamps.

I've also fabricated some slightly pre-warped MDF plates to use on the sides and back for clamping- in that the center bow in will sit in the middle of the cabinet panel. That was done by gluing up some high quality 1/4" MDF to 3/4" MDF; just like veneering a flat panel, if you don't veneer both sides, it will warp somewhat.

I should be getting to this stage by the first week in August when I have to take off another week without pay from work.

Facets will be done using Bessy cable clamps and cut blocks- at least, that's the plan. So the whole thing will wind up being cold press veneer with solid veneer, except the back which will be paper-backed (yeah, I'm cheaping out there.... sheessshhhh! You'd think I'd have some standards or something....)
                            the AudioWorx
                            Natalie P
                            M8ta
                            Modula Neo DCC
                            Modula MT XE
                            Modula Xtreme
                            Isiris
                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                            Minerva Monitor
                            Calliope
                            Ardent D

In Development...
                            Obi-Wan
                            Modula PWB
                            Calliope CC Supreme
                            Natalie P Ultra
                            Natalie P Supreme
                            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                              Mad Max Moderator
                              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by CraigJ
                              You keep letting out those little teasers, and I'm gonna have my Ardent speaker done before you. :W O.K., you'll hear about it soon enough, here it is.

Have fun and as always, enjoy.

Craig

Sigh.... you're always beating me to the punch, Craig- somedays I don't know why I bother.... Oh yeah, wait, it's so I'll have a pair to listen to, too. Or two pair- my RS180 versions are trailing a bit, doesn't really matter as I could measure any of the drivers in the prime set, since I'm using a midrange mounting plate adapter for the RS100-4. For now I must focus on the primary pair so they'll be ready to go to Denver late September.

When I started this, I didn't really appreciate how much work this would be... my ability to conceptualize outpaces my ability to actualize. :W
                              the AudioWorx
                              Natalie P
                              M8ta
                              Modula Neo DCC
                              Modula MT XE
                              Modula Xtreme
                              Isiris
                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                              Minerva Monitor
                              Calliope
                              Ardent D

In Development...
                              Obi-Wan
                              Modula PWB
                              Calliope CC Supreme
                              Natalie P Ultra
                              Natalie P Supreme
                              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                Super Senior Member
                                • May 2007

Jon, really been enjoying seeing this project progress. Right now, what speakers do you usually listen to in your main system? Just curious.
                                John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• ThomasW
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Johnloudb
                                  Jon, really been enjoying seeing this project progress. Right now, what speakers do you usually listen to in your main system? Just curious.
                                  NeoDcc

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                    Mad Max Moderator
                                    • Aug 2000

Oh, we've been having fun... made some sawdust, too, more today

Name:	ArdentSideSheet.png
Views:	3649
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	853445

As Thomas notes, the SDX-1 NeoD CC (in a stereo pair as mains) are my "daily driver". Best "little" box I've ever done. Not having the linear distortion and accompanying energy storage (think SL and MarkK testing) above 800 Hz that most cone drivers has does wonders for midrange resolution with good source components- that RS52 is a great driver, as is the D26NC55- they just get out of the way of the music.
                                    Last edited by theSven; 14 May 2023, 21:29 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
                                    the AudioWorx
                                    Natalie P
                                    M8ta
                                    Modula Neo DCC
                                    Modula MT XE
                                    Modula Xtreme
                                    Isiris
                                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                    Minerva Monitor
                                    Calliope
                                    Ardent D

In Development...
                                    Obi-Wan
                                    Modula PWB
                                    Calliope CC Supreme
                                    Natalie P Ultra
                                    Natalie P Supreme
                                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• ColoradoTom
                                      • Feb 2006

No, I don't own stock in Bessy, but maybe I should. I don't think a vacuum clamp for assembly operations would work well for what I'm doing; I'm actually using clamps at some points to line up work pieces initially, then moving them to more conventional positions after other clamps have been installed. And the clamping force on heavy pieces is much higher than what a vacuum bag can generate; plus, there's the heavy angle iron stock I use at times to insure the glued up piece is perfectly straight.

Click image for larger version  Name:	SDX-2a-FP_Gluing.jpg Views:	0 Size:	212.6 KB ID:	936583

:W

Well.... I should probably own "clamp stock" as well. Since a project doesn't exist unless there are pictures - here is the "rough wood", clamping the arch for the bed frame, and final product from this weekend.... I'm keeping up with you!!!

Tom

Name:	Wood Rough.JPG
Views:	1272
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	853456

Name:	Clamps.JPG
Views:	4247
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	853457

Name:	Arch.JPG
Views:	1302
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	853458
                                      Last edited by theSven; 15 May 2023, 11:50 Monday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Evil Twin
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Nov 2004

Impressive, most impressive.

Now, if you could produce that curved piece with the power of the Force instead of all those clamps, that would be the mark of a true Sithlord.
                                        Last edited by theSven; 14 May 2023, 21:29 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
                                        DFAL
                                        Dark Force Acoustic Labs

A wholly owned subsidiary of Palpatine Heavy Industries

Comment

• Hdale85
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Jan 2006

Did you have to put the wood in a steam box for that?

Comment

• ColoradoTom
                                            • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Evil Twin
                                            Impressive, most impressive.

Now, if you could produce that curved piece with the power of the Force instead of all those clamps, that would be the mark of a true Sithlord.

No kidding..... you should see how fast I can get the laminated pieces onto the form and get all the clamps attached. I'm guessing I can reporduce everything you see in the picture in under 5 minutes. 8O

I was using my power of the Force to overcome the pain in my back from doing too much with this ancient body over the weekend! :rofl:

Tom
                                            Last edited by theSven; 14 May 2023, 21:30 Sunday. Reason: Update quote

Comment

• fjhuerta
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Jun 2006

Jon, why did you decide on a closed-back midrange? Care to argue the merits of each approach? (open vs. closed back)
                                              Javier Huerta

Comment

• ColoradoTom
                                                • Feb 2006

Did you have to put the wood in a steam box for that?
                                                Nope.... I took a 12/4 piece of cherry (seen in the picture) and cut it into 4 inch by 80 inch strips using my bandsaw. The strips were evenly sanded to 3/16ths of an inch with a drum sander and then glued up with a urea glue and bent around the form. When they came off the form there was a slight amount of spring back... ~1/2 inch but it was already accounted for in the design of the form. Steam box would have been a PITA .... although given the temperatures over the weekend I might have been able to do it in the backyard! :rofl:

Tom

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Jan 2006

So they went in the form with wet glue and then removed when the glue was dried?

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                    Mad Max Moderator
                                                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by fjhuerta
                                                    Jon, why did you decide on a closed-back midrange? Care to argue the merits of each approach? (open vs. closed back)
                                                    This is monopole speaker with minimal baffle width over a range of frequencies (the narrowing front baffle) in order to support greater off axis dispersion. Did my first system trying that as a 4 way in the late 70s.

I'm not a subscriber or fan to the notion of a low pass tunnel for rear wave out of phase radiation of the midrange. It adds another variable to room dependent issues, and requires some special work in the crossover region. It's also possible that depending on rear boundaries and frequency ranges, you may get early reflections with out of phase products which can cause combfiltering in the response. Others like that approach for their own reasons and do it; I'm not about to "steal their thunder". :W

I have done dipole designs and have some ideas to re-visit the Arvo Part some day, but right now the only ideas I have for drivers are more expensive than I want to use while getting the necessary radiating are and Xmax for sufficient output.

I don't usually mix the two approaches, though helping Tom with the original Whisper we had dipole bass and sealed midrange. Sort of the opposite of what you're experimenting with now! :W
                                                    the AudioWorx
                                                    Natalie P
                                                    M8ta
                                                    Modula Neo DCC
                                                    Modula MT XE
                                                    Modula Xtreme
                                                    Isiris
                                                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                    Minerva Monitor
                                                    Calliope
                                                    Ardent D

In Development...
                                                    Obi-Wan
                                                    Modula PWB
                                                    Calliope CC Supreme
                                                    Natalie P Ultra
                                                    Natalie P Supreme
                                                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• cjd
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • Dec 2004

Originally posted by ColoradoTom
                                                      When they came off the form there was a slight amount of spring back... ~1/2 inch but it was already accounted for in the design of the form.
                                                      See, this is something I don't know how to figure out - is there a standard amount you can anticipate? How do you calculate this?

I know how to figure out how much silver to use by weight instead of wax, how to calculate how much a casting will shrink given material... springback from laminating like this? No idea.
                                                      diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• ColoradoTom
                                                        • Feb 2006

So they went in the form with wet glue and then removed when the glue was dried?
                                                        Yup........

Comment

• ColoradoTom
                                                          • Feb 2006

Originally posted by cjd
                                                          See, this is something I don't know how to figure out - is there a standard amount you can anticipate? How do you calculate this?

I know how to figure out how much silver to use by weight instead of wax, how to calculate how much a casting will shrink given material... springback from laminating like this? No idea.
                                                          There is a general calculation I've seen somewhere that goes (for my arch):

springback = (height of arch) * (1/number of laminations squared).

the height of my arch is 18 inches and the number of laminations was 6... so pluging in the numbers:

18*(1/6^2) = 0.5

Since my units are in inches the answer is 1/2 inch. THIS IS JUST AN ESTIMATE... I ran a test on scrap wood and the number was correct. Obviously thickness of laminations, radius of curve...etc can change the estimate so I always run a test but the formula works for a guestimate.

If my laminations were 1/16th of an inch thick the springback would have been insignificant..... but I would have had to cut and sand 18 very thin sheets and not the 6 kinda thin sheets that I used. :B For most woods cut to 3/16ths the formula is pretty close if the radius isn't too tight.

Tom

Comment

• fjhuerta
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Jun 2006

This is monopole speaker with minimal baffle width over a range of frequencies (the narrowing front baffle) in order to support greater off axis dispersion. Did my first system trying that as a 4 way in the late 70s.

I'm not a subscriber or fan to the notion of a low pass tunnel for rear wave out of phase radiation of the midrange. It adds another variable to room dependent issues, and requires some special work in the crossover region. It's also possible that depending on rear boundaries and frequency ranges, you may get early reflections with out of phase products which can cause combfiltering in the response. Others like that approach for their own reasons and do it; I'm not about to "steal their thunder". :W

I have done dipole designs and have some ideas to re-visit the Arvo Part some day, but right now the only ideas I have for drivers are more expensive than I want to use while getting the necessary radiating are and Xmax for sufficient output.

I don't usually mix the two approaches, though helping Tom with the original Whisper we had dipole bass and sealed midrange. Sort of the opposite of what you're experimenting with now! :W
                                                            Thanks Jon!

I was wondering whether it is possible to assure an open baffle / tunnel in the midrange. I love the sound, but the speaker is basically tailored to the room it's in - the crossover, space from wall to baffle, etc., was taken into consideration. If I took it somewhere else, it would sound far too different - something I dislike about the design.
                                                            Javier Huerta

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                              Mad Max Moderator
                                                              • Aug 2000

Then too, there's a big difference between a dipole baffle midrange like you have and a low pass midrange tunnel with damping like the Statements.

While mixed metaphors work fine in literature and joke telling, I'm not so sanguine about in speakers.

But that's just for me- YMMV. Everyone marches to the beat of a different drummer...

To bad there's not some way to have a humungous HT Guide DIY event with all the guys getting together for a few days and sharing and playing their designs with their favorite music.
                                                              the AudioWorx
                                                              Natalie P
                                                              M8ta
                                                              Modula Neo DCC
                                                              Modula MT XE
                                                              Modula Xtreme
                                                              Isiris
                                                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                              Minerva Monitor
                                                              Calliope
                                                              Ardent D

In Development...
                                                              Obi-Wan
                                                              Modula PWB
                                                              Calliope CC Supreme
                                                              Natalie P Ultra
                                                              Natalie P Supreme
                                                              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• chasw98
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Jan 2006

Rmaf 09? :t

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                  Mad Max Moderator
                                                                  • Aug 2000

Well, likely as close as we'll ever come. So are you bringing your line arrays? :W

Carry on? :rofl:
                                                                  the AudioWorx
                                                                  Natalie P
                                                                  M8ta
                                                                  Modula Neo DCC
                                                                  Modula MT XE
                                                                  Modula Xtreme
                                                                  Isiris
                                                                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                  Minerva Monitor
                                                                  Calliope
                                                                  Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                  Obi-Wan
                                                                  Modula PWB
                                                                  Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                  Natalie P Ultra
                                                                  Natalie P Supreme
                                                                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                    • Jan 2006

When is RMAF? I'd kind of like to come out to listen to some of yours and Tom's designs. Probably wouldn't go to the show. Not sure I could make it though.

Comment

• kirknelson
                                                                      • Sep 2006

Comment

• Face
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Mar 2007

I'm on vacation...oh boy.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                          • Jan 2006
                                                                          • 16075

Only 3 months away, not sure I can swing that.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                            Mad Max Moderator
                                                                            • Aug 2000
                                                                            • 15284

Bits and pieces...

Last night I "glued" together the first pair of midrange enclosures, or rather, "epoxied" them together- mostly because they would be awkward to setup to clamp. I use "50 minute" epoxy as I really like to take my time- none of those five minute quickies.

Name:	ArdentMidEnclosures.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	936584

If I get done with work quickly enough today, I'll probably dado the front panel groove for the brace and clue up the mid enclosure and brace, after checking a dry assembly. Or not, knowing how things have been at work- yesterday started at 5:30 in the office, and finished at 7 with the end of an hour long conference call to Singapore.
                                                                            Last edited by theSven; 15 May 2023, 11:51 Monday. Reason: Update image location
                                                                            the AudioWorx
                                                                            Natalie P
                                                                            M8ta
                                                                            Modula Neo DCC
                                                                            Modula MT XE
                                                                            Modula Xtreme
                                                                            Isiris
                                                                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                            Minerva Monitor
                                                                            Calliope
                                                                            Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                            Obi-Wan
                                                                            Modula PWB
                                                                            Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                            Natalie P Ultra
                                                                            Natalie P Supreme
                                                                            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• brucemck2
                                                                              Member
                                                                              • Jan 2006
                                                                              • 36

What's the purpose for the tunnels, aside from cabinet bracing?

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                • Aug 2000
                                                                                • 15284

The extension to the back means that the midrange enclosure is not reliant on resisting tearing forces with the glue to come off the front panel- it is braced in position by the wings extending to the back on either side.

Good mechanical design means using materials in ways that they are strong, not ways that they are weak. If you just had a box glued on to the back of the MDF front panel, it could be relatively easy to shear the glue bond, splitting off a thin lear of MDF. MDF has good compression strength, mediocre bending strength, and poor tearing/delaminating strength.

I have been a product designer in a past life (decades ago), but I still tend to think like one- robustness should be a given.
                                                                                the AudioWorx
                                                                                Natalie P
                                                                                M8ta
                                                                                Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                Modula MT XE
                                                                                Modula Xtreme
                                                                                Isiris
                                                                                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                Minerva Monitor
                                                                                Calliope
                                                                                Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                Obi-Wan
                                                                                Modula PWB
                                                                                Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• cjd
                                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                  • Dec 2004
                                                                                  • 5568

You must have designed portable bomb shelters based on that front panel assembly!

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                    Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                    • Aug 2000
                                                                                    • 15284

And the military definition of portable is anything that two strong men and a boy can lift off the ground- at least for a little while! Mobile has an even broader definition.... :W

I'm enjoying hefting and looking over my front panels... it gives a certain satisfaction. :B I may almost regret putting them in a cabinet! I probably won't be so keen on hefting and inspecting the cabinet. During the planning I had drawn in a top center to center brace above the midrange enclosure. After hefting the top panel plates, I realized bracing them was rather redundant. So, even I have a point at which some vague notion of commonsense kicks in.

Still have some design details to work on for the base, but will probably do dado'ing and stuff this evening if I get home soon enough. (since I got into the office at 5:30, I have a generous notion of when I should be ready to leave....)
                                                                                    the AudioWorx
                                                                                    Natalie P
                                                                                    M8ta
                                                                                    Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                    Modula MT XE
                                                                                    Modula Xtreme
                                                                                    Isiris
                                                                                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                    Minerva Monitor
                                                                                    Calliope
                                                                                    Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                    Obi-Wan
                                                                                    Modula PWB
                                                                                    Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                    Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                    Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Dave Bullet
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Jul 2007
                                                                                      • 474

So Jon - what is your estimated total weight per enclosure (incl. drivers and crossover) when finished?

Out of interest - is it worth putting an accelerometer (sp?) on the front with some 30Hz sine waves to see what level of baffle resonance / movement (if any) you get?

I'd love to see the results of this speaker compared to a commercial in that regard.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                        Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                        • Aug 2000
                                                                                        • 15284

Estimated weight is 110 to 120 lb. Depends partly on how the crossover comes out... :W

Usually 30 Hz is not problem- for conventional baffles the issues are usually in the midbass area or midrange. Low in level, but large in area for a floor standing speaker.

As mentioned earlier, this is not a new thing for me; first speaker like this (4 way 10" system) with uber thick faceted baffles was done in the 70's. (that one also had a rounded back- half circle... don't ask. MB 3/4" tweeter, Audax dome mid, Audax 6" mid, 10" woofer (a special "long throw" CTS part if I remember correctly).

That speaker used 1st order crossovers and was "transient perfect", i.e., it would reproduce square waves. But it had the off axis lobing that results form 1st order Butterworth networks with phase quadrature and non coincident drivers.

Some day I'll get this right.
                                                                                        the AudioWorx
                                                                                        Natalie P
                                                                                        M8ta
                                                                                        Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                        Modula MT XE
                                                                                        Modula Xtreme
                                                                                        Isiris
                                                                                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                        Minerva Monitor
                                                                                        Calliope
                                                                                        Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                        Obi-Wan
                                                                                        Modula PWB
                                                                                        Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                        Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                        Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• bigg
                                                                                          Member
                                                                                          • Jun 2009
                                                                                          • 84

Ardent SDX-2

120 pounds!!! I'll have to add a fork lift of some kind to my work shop :g> shopping list. Otherwise, I won't be able to move the speakers from the shop to my hi fi room. Maybe I'll just tell my wife that she needs to start bulking up. :T

Comment

• cjd
                                                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                            • Dec 2004
                                                                                            • 5568

That doesn't sound all that heavy to me for some reason...

I should weigh my towers.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"