Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Evil Twin
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

That information is under Imperial Interdiction.

Mr. Marsh will be sent to spend some time with an Imperial Interrogation Droid to ascertain whether more information been "leaked" to Rebel spies or other scum. Such breaches in security will NOT be tolerated.

The Chancellor is most displeased...
    DFAL
    Dark Force Acoustic Labs

A wholly owned subsidiary of Palpatine Heavy Industries

Comment

• CraigJ
      • Feb 2006

Originally posted by JonMarsh
      Ya know, I think I'll stick to my LBL for a while...

Click image for larger version  Name:	photoFP.jpg Views:	8384 Size:	82.7 KB ID:	853630

Wow, could that be the 2010 Phoenix? "And there's an SS 8" model I have my eye's on for a new application" paired with a Revelator tweeter? Oops, I'd better be quiet before the evil :storm: comes. RUN!

Craig
      Last edited by theSven; 14 May 2023, 21:38 Sunday. Reason: Update quote

Comment

• AlanH
        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Evil Twin

Mr. Marsh will be sent to spend some time with an Imperial Interrogation Droid to ascertain whether more information been "leaked" to Rebel spies or other scum. Such breaches in security will NOT be tolerated.

...many Bothans died to bring us this information...
        -Alan

There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.

Comment

• chasw98
          Super Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

Actually the Bothans agreed to hold on to the information for 24 parsecs while Mr. Marsh tidied up his affairs. I guess Mr. Marsh has ruined it for all involved. The galaxy will not be safe for a while to come.......

Comment

• Curly Woods
            • Dec 2005

John, you have screwed up really good this time :-)
            Mike Mastin

Comment

• ---k---
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Nov 2005

HEY! Who you calling Rebel Spies and Scum!
              - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
              CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
              CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• neuro
                • Oct 2007

This design is looking great! Can't wait for it and the other new stuff that's being cooked up.

Given the projected cost of the passive crossover, what are peoples' thoughts on an active design purely from a price/performance standpoint? How spendy does one need to go on op-amps (or dsp?) to best a good passive build? How spendy on the amp channels? What if we compared premium drivers in a passive build with the budget drivers in an active build? Would the slightly less ideal behavior of the the budget drivers be compensated for by giving each amp channel the sole purpose of controlling one driver?

Comment

• Hdale85
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

Well you would need 6 channels of amplification to go active. And given how good these speakers are they would need to be good amps. Pretty sure 4 more amp channels are going to cost more then what the passive crossovers cost.

Comment

• chasw98
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Jan 2006

From the Marchand system a chassis for a fighter code named the XM44 has been procured (actually 2 of them). They will be customized and designed and executed with Pass and Aragon technology to see what they will do to best the Ardent way. Unfortunantely they will not be ready for RMAF but soon after for Xmas on Tattoine!

Comment

• JonMarsh
                      Mad Max Moderator
                      • Aug 2000

Hmmm, three Ayre V5 would be kind of pricey... even a loaded Ayre V6 multi-channel amp would be daunting.

And realizing the right filter contours in a passive wouldn't be trivial.

Let's leave that idea to the Y in DIY. Undoubtedly going active and getting rid of cheap crossover components in the signal path can help. Undoubtedly some of the benefits of the Orion derive from that. But an 60 w/ch integrated should drive these nicely (Ayre AX-7e), and having six channels of comparable quality and all the cables involved would drive the price up quickly, me thinks. So we'll throw the door wide open to anyone else that wants to try that out and be a trail blazer. We can even provide LspCAD transfer function plots to emulate in anyone's electronic crossover design. :W
                      the AudioWorx
                      Natalie P
                      M8ta
                      Modula Neo DCC
                      Modula MT XE
                      Modula Xtreme
                      Isiris
                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                      Minerva Monitor
                      Calliope
                      Ardent D

In Development...
                      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                      Obi-Wan
                      Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                      Modula PWB
                      Calliope CC Supreme
                      Natalie P Ultra
                      Natalie P Supreme
                      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• neuro
                        • Oct 2007

Yeah, the amplification might be too expensive. Then again, if we are assuming the use of a decent existing amp on the woofers, a couple of the well regarded yet inexpensive tripath amps/modules might be enough for the mids and tweeters. The RS100-4s are only rated for 45 watts max (the Seas tweeters are good to significantly more, but never going to see it if the mids are kept safe).

So, if we think of it as buying two more of whatever decent two channel amp would be used with the passive design, then yes, probably more than the passive crossover parts. With a little creativity though, maybe something could be done. In large part, the price parity (of at least the ballpark variety) depends on what you consider good enough for the active amplification. Emotiva good enough? ICEpower good enough? Mark Levinson or bust?

Comment

• neuro
                          • Oct 2007

Yes, definitely bigger Y. Cable cost would factor in also. Originally I had in mind collocating the amps with the speaker (either built in or very near). However, trying to reuse an existing two channel amp makes that a little more difficult.

Well, no need to get too far ahead of myself. 1. Finish dissertation. 2. See what wins between Ardent, M8ta-3, and NeoD++. 3. Think about making an active version .

Comment

• Biff
                            • Jul 2006

Concrete baffles aren't hard

Originally posted by Dougie085
                            Hmm...was that thread an April fools joke or something? Honestly....Did you see the driver mounted in it? I'm sure it functions...but it sure don't look pretty at all.
                            +1 ! They don't need to look all that rough! When I was kid I used to make a bit of pocket change making aquarium decorations. If you wanted to make, for example, a concrete version of the secret MTM baffle, we would make a table of plywood boxed in with 2x4 and fill it with filter grade sand, dampen, and screed off the top, then press in any shape we wanted. Quikrete ladled in, and if it was going to be a big piece poke in some plastic window screen material and tap the edges and underside with hammer until it was flat and no bubbles rose. Let it rest for a day or two and you'd have a fair casting! Quick rinse with dilute muriatic and done. We lined our forms with crushed stone, but I could see a baffle made this way and finished in bed liner being sweet, and deader than Hoffa.

Comment

• Arc00
                              • Mar 2008

One way to clean up an active cabling would be a SpeakOn connector and a 8 connector snake wire.

Comment

• Face
                                • Mar 2007

I love the review:
                                Used these in a 5.1 surround project in a 97 TransAm. The connectors were awesum.... I will use these in any installation in the future. I thank Parts Express for selling a real professional line of connectors and being so close to me to pick up. Thanks Parts Express....
                                Jon, gold platter copper, don't accept anything less.
                                SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• Bear
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by neuro
                                  Yeah, the amplification might be too expensive. Then again, if we are assuming the use of a decent existing amp on the woofers, a couple of the well regarded yet inexpensive tripath amps/modules might be enough for the mids and tweeters. The RS100-4s are only rated for 45 watts max (the Seas tweeters are good to significantly more, but never going to see it if the mids are kept safe).
                                  You may want to re-read some of the discussion on the NeoD CC. Several people have commented on being able to hear differences in amps, and Jon's stated goal is to make this one better. I'd be really careful about making assumption about what quality of amps are sufficient for something like this. I wouldn't necessarily put my Bryston up against Jon's Ayre, but if you are building something that has 70+ dB of noise-free headroom, then an amp that is at least as good as that is important (s/N >100dB, THD <0.01%). Otherwise, you'd be better off going with a much less demanding/transparent speaker.

So, if we think of it as buying two more of whatever decent two channel amp would be used with the passive design, then yes, probably more than the passive crossover parts. With a little creativity though, maybe something could be done. In large part, the price parity (of at least the ballpark variety) depends on what you consider good enough for the active amplification. Emotiva good enough? ICEpower good enough? Mark Levinson or bust?
                                  ICEPower would be fine for the bass, but I suspect you could hear the switching issues in the mid and tweeter. Might be an interesting, but expensive, thing to test.

Bill
                                  Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                    Mad Max Moderator
                                    • Aug 2000

Base design and drawing a PITA...

Maybe I'm just getting lazy, maybe it was the past week at work!! Definitely on the ugly side. Work, that is... :W

Finished it up, though, listening to some Ottmar Liebert on the music server. Seriously nice music and sound. The changes in my system over the last six months have revitalized my music collection, and I think another revolution may be coming soon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ArdentBase3D-P.png
Views:	130
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	936603

Should have these fabricated before COB Monday- the MDF layup is already done, and the maple is on hand and ready, as well as all the hardware for assembly. I've got some phenolic sheet for fabricating a template for the mounting hardware (1/4-20 threaded inserts and connector bolts).
                                    Last edited by theSven; 15 May 2023, 12:04 Monday. Reason: Update image location
                                    the AudioWorx
                                    Natalie P
                                    M8ta
                                    Modula Neo DCC
                                    Modula MT XE
                                    Modula Xtreme
                                    Isiris
                                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                    Minerva Monitor
                                    Calliope
                                    Ardent D

In Development...
                                    Obi-Wan
                                    Modula PWB
                                    Calliope CC Supreme
                                    Natalie P Ultra
                                    Natalie P Supreme
                                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                      Mad Max Moderator
                                      • Aug 2000

Saw dust is our most important product...

Been making a fair amount of that this weekend...

Name:	Ardent-MDF-Base.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	179.2 KB
ID:	936604

Sawdust CGI courtesy of Lucasarts, Chuck!
                                      Last edited by theSven; 15 May 2023, 12:04 Monday. Reason: Update image location
                                      the AudioWorx
                                      Natalie P
                                      M8ta
                                      Modula Neo DCC
                                      Modula MT XE
                                      Modula Xtreme
                                      Isiris
                                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                      Minerva Monitor
                                      Calliope
                                      Ardent D

In Development...
                                      Obi-Wan
                                      Modula PWB
                                      Calliope CC Supreme
                                      Natalie P Ultra
                                      Natalie P Supreme
                                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Hdale85
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Jan 2006

So the riser being right at the edge of the port flare won't effect anything much? Looks really nice!

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                          Mad Max Moderator
                                          • Aug 2000

The whole base sits on points off the floor a ways- they're on the 1-1/2" maple that's laid flat to the MDF.
                                          the AudioWorx
                                          Natalie P
                                          M8ta
                                          Modula Neo DCC
                                          Modula MT XE
                                          Modula Xtreme
                                          Isiris
                                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                          Minerva Monitor
                                          Calliope
                                          Ardent D

In Development...
                                          Obi-Wan
                                          Modula PWB
                                          Calliope CC Supreme
                                          Natalie P Ultra
                                          Natalie P Supreme
                                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• chasw98
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Jan 2006

Been making a fair amount of that this weekend...

Sawdust CGI courtesy of Lucasarts, Chuck!
                                            Yes, it is especially nice to see some sawdust on the router. Nice touch!

Comment

• JoshK
                                              • Mar 2005

Well this thread 'made' me spend more money. Was in HD yesterday ordering some custom faucets. Wife had opened a HD card to get the 10% (bill was north of 1200 bucks).

I saw that the big box carried the Bosch Colt VS palm router for the same price as amazon. So I seized the day. I already have 3 routers, but what is one more? Especially when it is a nice palm sized unit.

They didn't have the angled attachment, I ordered that off amazon.

Some other thoughts and musing. I took this week off to finish the bathroom and redo the roof. We did some research and decided on the rubberized roofing (elastomeric). Its painted on and it actually expands and contracts without cracking, unlike tar. http://www.amesresearch.com/

Well, it gave me an idea. If they use some of this stuff to make mock up boats and water tanks, why couldn't you use this on the inside of speaker cabinets? The elasto-barrier is a vapor barrier, so it'd water-proof your cabinets from the inside at least. Its rubberized, so I'd imagine it'd have some sound dampening properties.

Comment

• lbstyling
                                                • Oct 2008

Ryan, I haven't done the mechanics math and I don't doubt yours. And CJD, I don't know of any wood glue that would stand up to 1900psi either, so either the wood would fail, or the glued butt joint. But you got me thinking about what we use bracing for, and really, its for resonance control and not structural integrity, and I think CJD was on to something. Think about the box panels that a brace is, well, bracing. The panels have to be literally flexing while they're resonating--in other words, the panels themselves are undergoing oscillatory stresses (tension and compression about the neutral axes of the panel due to moment/shear stresses). This, combined with the brace's deformation, we have a statically indeterminate situation, so we must talk about relative E's (Young's modulus) and relative stresses.

Though I'll readily admit that I'm a bit of a charlatan when it comes to acoustical resonance of structures, my conjecture is that even if the brace isn't absolutely rigid (modulus less than infinity), it's still rigid enough to "convince" the box panels to resonate in such a way that a flexure node would appear at the braced point of the panel. This is because the panel will deflect (and this is the key to my point) in a moment/shear type stress relatively easier than deforming/straining the brace axially. In practice, say a panel has a fundamental resonance at 800hz and we brace in the dead center of the longest dimension of it. I would bet the new fundamental will be more like 1600hz and lower in magnitude. And since the braced point is a node at the fundamental, it's not moving and therefore, in theory, not causing mechanical deformation (and no oscillating tension/compression axial stress) on the brace.

Now that I've thought about it, perhaps thats a good rule for deciding when you have "enough" bracing. When the stress required to deflect an unbraced portion of a panel a given amount is greater (and it becomes greater as the unbraced portion becomes smaller) than the stress required to axially deform the next brace...don't bother with the extra brace because you may not be moving the resonance much higher. Granted, I haven't tested this idea, and I'm no expert. Forgive any imprecise use of terms in the above as well, I hope my point shows through.

Now, as for why oak or any other hardwood is "better" for bracing over other materials in terms of sound quality...I don't know. As long as wood has the same general moisture content, is free of knots/defects and load is applied in the same way with respect to the grain, most woods we would use have similar moduli. Has Geddes ever gathered empirical data that the oak brace works better than say, a pine or MDF brace? If he hasn't, then knowing him, he should be the first to admit its merely an opinion or preference of his.
                                                just a thought- this all make sence to me- but wouldnt the majority of resonance from a braced panel likely be in sympathy with the panel at the other end of the brace?-kind of like a piston arm between the piston and the crank -possibly even(in a unlucky case) the braces could increase panel noise?
                                                i suppose this would be more likely when a panel is too thin in the first place. just my 2$

assuming the brace was between 2 walls where this wasnt the case-or even between a wall and a theoretical infinatly ridged wall- output would be determined by panel sise x kinda xmax :lol: -but as you need to move 4 x the air to maintain the same spl at half the freq-as i realy cant see a brace expanding and contracting very far you could possibly get a better responce with mdf or something with a low q??

Comment

• lbstyling
                                                  • Oct 2008

please excuse my discalexxeeeia and general lazyness with spelling!!

Comment

• lbstyling
                                                    • Oct 2008

continuing my ramblings- would bracing between the center of a panel and a opposite corner be a improvement?-it would end up like a roll cage.hmmm.....triangulation

Comment

• bigg
                                                      • Jun 2009

Well I'm just putting in one cent worth. When I brace my cabinets I brace from one wall to the other but I don't do it in the middle. I've always braced so that the sections either side of the brace were not equal. So that there would not be two equal or sympathetic resonances. All wrong? I'm not a physicist. Please let me know Obi-Wan ;x( .

Also---is there any difference between MDF and plywood for bracing? I'm currently using 3/4 inch plywood but I've seen pictures from some professional speaker companies and it looks like they are using @ 2" thick MDF for their internal braces. (Maybe my questions are so elementary they will lull the Emperor to sleep :Z )

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                        Mad Max Moderator
                                                        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by bigg
                                                        Well I'm just putting in one cent worth. When I brace my cabinets I brace from one wall to the other but I don't do it in the middle. I've always braced so that the sections either side of the brace were not equal. So that there would not be two equal or sympathetic resonances. All wrong? I'm not a physicist. Please let me know Obi-Wan ;x( .

Also---is there any difference between MDF and plywood for bracing? I'm currently using 3/4 inch plywood but I've seen pictures from some professional speaker companies and it looks like they are using @ 2" thick MDF for their internal braces. (Maybe my questions are so elementary they will lull the Emperor to sleep :Z )

This is the ideal way to do it- and at golden mean ratio, i.e., 1.68:1.

Internal braces rely primarily on compression strength. MDF has good compression strength, not so good bending strength. MDF is less expensive and somewhat easier to work, though the cheap stuff chews up blades a bit- cleaning your blades and router bits with acetone now and then helps. I used MDF for the braces in the Ardent. For the front panel, I think a composite material or stiffer material than MDF is desirable- you wouldn't use MDF for an electric guitar sounding board.
                                                        the AudioWorx
                                                        Natalie P
                                                        M8ta
                                                        Modula Neo DCC
                                                        Modula MT XE
                                                        Modula Xtreme
                                                        Isiris
                                                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                        Minerva Monitor
                                                        Calliope
                                                        Ardent D

In Development...
                                                        Obi-Wan
                                                        Modula PWB
                                                        Calliope CC Supreme
                                                        Natalie P Ultra
                                                        Natalie P Supreme
                                                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• kvardas
                                                          • Dec 2005

Finished it up, though, listening to some Ottmar Liebert on the music server. Seriously nice music and sound. The changes in my system over the last six months have revitalized my music collection, and I think another revolution may be coming soon.

Might I suggest Bruce Becvar's CD "Arriba".
                                                          Last edited by ThomasW; 09 September 2009, 10:38 Wednesday.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                            Mad Max Moderator
                                                            • Aug 2000

I'm always interested in music suggestions-

You mean:

Name:	41MP52HPM1L._SS500_.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	936605

I'm putting together a music order from Amazon, so your timing is good!

Are you familiar with Tommy Emmanuel, from Australia? He has a number of great albums, this live one is pretty special:

Name:	IMG_7310_1200x1200.JPG?v=1551535091.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	511.9 KB
ID:	936606
                                                            Last edited by theSven; 15 May 2023, 12:06 Monday. Reason: Update image location
                                                            the AudioWorx
                                                            Natalie P
                                                            M8ta
                                                            Modula Neo DCC
                                                            Modula MT XE
                                                            Modula Xtreme
                                                            Isiris
                                                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                            Minerva Monitor
                                                            Calliope
                                                            Ardent D

In Development...
                                                            Obi-Wan
                                                            Modula PWB
                                                            Calliope CC Supreme
                                                            Natalie P Ultra
                                                            Natalie P Supreme
                                                            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• bigg
                                                              • Jun 2009

This is the ideal way to do it- and at golden mean ratio, i.e., 1.68:1.

Internal braces rely primarily on compression strength. MDF has good compression strength, not so good bending strength. MDF is less expensive and somewhat easier to work, though the cheap stuff chews up blades a bit- cleaning your blades and router bits with acetone now and then helps. I used MDF for the braces in the Ardent. For the front panel, I think a composite material or stiffer material than MDF is desirable- you wouldn't use MDF for an electric guitar sounding board.
                                                              Thanks Jon. I wasn't talking about the Ardents. I just saw the discussion about bracing and thought I would get that resolved. Thanks for the golden ratio theory. I'll have to try that. I'll check some of the speakers 'in progress' and see how they compare to the golden ratio. I think I might be pretty close. I don't know when I'll get to the Ardents. Maybe by the time I get to them I could afford to do the premium version. :lol:

No, I wouldn't use MDF for a guitar. But the guitar is an originating point for the music's sound. And a speaker is reproducing that recorded (hopefully well recorded) sound. I don't see the speaker as an instrument to add or contribute it's own sound to the event. So while I'm open to try other materials for the front baffle (I really love the MTM LBL baffle pictures) I'm not worried about using MDF. (Actually the stuff I use looks more like HDF).
                                                              Of course when I build the Ardents, I will follow your design. Unless I decide to build your next one instead. (Yes those LBL front baffles look awesome! :T )

Gary

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                Mad Max Moderator
                                                                • Aug 2000

The ideal solid body guitar is an extremely stiff non-resonant platform, that does not suck energy from the strings at any frequency, but allows them to play with whatever sustain or percussion that the guitarist may find possible- it strikes me, as a former guitarist, that a speaker front baffle should behave similarly. That's my main premise here... Magico, YG Acoustics, Rockport, and some others believe the same thing, and for good reasons, I think. No one I know in the business (as opposed to in DIY) thinks MDF is a good cabinet material anymore.

Just think about it a bit.... :W
                                                                the AudioWorx
                                                                Natalie P
                                                                M8ta
                                                                Modula Neo DCC
                                                                Modula MT XE
                                                                Modula Xtreme
                                                                Isiris
                                                                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                Minerva Monitor
                                                                Calliope
                                                                Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                Obi-Wan
                                                                Modula PWB
                                                                Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                Natalie P Ultra
                                                                Natalie P Supreme
                                                                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• kvardas
                                                                  • Dec 2005

That's the CD.

I'll check out your recommendation.

Thanks

Comment

• Dennis H
                                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                                    • Aug 2002

Mmmmm, guitar. Watched Stevie Ray Vaughn on PBS last night -- clips from several concerts. :T

Comment

• bigg
                                                                      • Jun 2009

The ideal solid body guitar is an extremely stiff non-resonant platform, that does not suck energy from the strings at any frequency, but allows them to play with whatever sustain or percussion that the guitarist may find possible- it strikes me, as a former guitarist, that a speaker front baffle should behave similarly. That's my main premise here... Magico, YG Acoustics, Rockport, and some others believe the same thing, and for good reasons, I think. No one I know in the business (as opposed to in DIY) thinks MDF is a good cabinet material anymore.

Just think about it a bit.... :W
                                                                      OK. Hmmmmmm.... Well I know guitar builders sometimes offer an option of what wood you would like them to use when they build your guitar, or they have their own preference. Because the different woods affect the tone differently. AFFECT the tone? I only want my speaker to reproduce what was originally recorded. Now that being said hopefully your composite baffles or the LBL baffles are very neutral in their presentation. But I tend to doubt that a perfectly neutral baffle exists, maybe concrete would do it. I don't know. After all, as my avatar says, I'm still a geek in training.

Comment

• Biff
                                                                        • Jul 2006

Are you familiar with Tommy Emmanuel, from Australia? He has a number of great albums, this live one is pretty special:

[/QUOTE]

Tommy used to play annually down here on the Outer Banks and I was lucky enough to get him to sign a copy of the double CD - Todd Rundgren once said that Tommy Emmanuel is the two best guitar players he ever heard.

Some others you might like to listen to - John Williams Magic Box with John Etheridge, they play very well together.
                                                                        Philip Hii, Chopin Nocturnes
                                                                        Jeff Lang, disturbed folk
                                                                        Jesse Cook's Vertigo
                                                                        Antonio Forcione Live (very good energy here)
                                                                        and a partner in crime of mine, Gordon Kreplin, Bach in Brazil
                                                                        Last edited by theSven; 15 May 2023, 13:34 Monday. Reason: Remove broken image link

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                          Mad Max Moderator
                                                                          • Aug 2000
                                                                          • 15284

Originally posted by bigg
                                                                          OK. Hmmmmmm.... Well I know guitar builders sometimes offer an option of what wood you would like them to use when they build your guitar, or they have their own preference. Because the different woods affect the tone differently. AFFECT the tone? I only want my speaker to reproduce what was originally recorded. Now that being said hopefully your composite baffles or the LBL baffles are very neutral in their presentation. But I tend to doubt that a perfectly neutral baffle exists, maybe concrete would do it. I don't know. After all, as my avatar says, I'm still a geek in training.
                                                                          Yeah, well MDF totally screws up the tone by absorbing a lot of the sound itself and having resonance at relatively low frequencies- dense hardwoods affect the tone by NOT absorbing sound and being quite stiff.

I'm not trying to start a religion here or anything- would be happy if others took this to heart a little and thought about it- but in a sense, it doesn't matter personally to me if anyone does or doesn't in the DIY community. Wouldn't want to be accused of keeping good ideas to myself, but realistically, everyone does what they want...

If I viewed this as a competition or a Sith Lord kind of thing, I wouldn't talk about it at all, I suppose... :W
                                                                          the AudioWorx
                                                                          Natalie P
                                                                          M8ta
                                                                          Modula Neo DCC
                                                                          Modula MT XE
                                                                          Modula Xtreme
                                                                          Isiris
                                                                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                          Minerva Monitor
                                                                          Calliope
                                                                          Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                          Obi-Wan
                                                                          Modula PWB
                                                                          Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                          Natalie P Ultra
                                                                          Natalie P Supreme
                                                                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                            Mad Max Moderator
                                                                            • Aug 2000
                                                                            • 15284

Originally posted by Biff
                                                                            Originally posted by jonmarsh
                                                                            Tommy used to play annually down here on the Outer Banks and I was lucky enough to get him to sign a copy of the double CD - Todd Rundgren once said that Tommy Emmanuel is the two best guitar players he ever heard.

Some others you might like to listen to - John Williams Magic Box with John Etheridge, they play very well together.
                                                                            Philip Hii, Chopin Nocturnes
                                                                            Jeff Lang, disturbed folk
                                                                            Jesse Cook's Vertigo
                                                                            Antonio Forcione Live (very good energy here)
                                                                            and a partner in crime of mine, Gordon Kreplin, Bach in Brazil

Thanks for the suggestions, Biff! Now that I've got a decent little music server, it's a lot easier to enjoy a plurality of music and find it when I want to listen!

~Jon
                                                                            Last edited by theSven; 15 May 2023, 13:35 Monday. Reason: Remove broken image link
                                                                            the AudioWorx
                                                                            Natalie P
                                                                            M8ta
                                                                            Modula Neo DCC
                                                                            Modula MT XE
                                                                            Modula Xtreme
                                                                            Isiris
                                                                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                            Minerva Monitor
                                                                            Calliope
                                                                            Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                            Obi-Wan
                                                                            Modula PWB
                                                                            Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                            Natalie P Ultra
                                                                            Natalie P Supreme
                                                                            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• bigg
                                                                              Member
                                                                              • Jun 2009
                                                                              • 84

Hi Jon,
                                                                              The MDF or HDF that I use has a hard veneer of birch or oak on it. Plus several layers of poly finish on that. But the part that the driver is screwed or bolted to is the MDF or HDF. Is that the problem area you were talking about or the baffle surface area?

Comment

• kirknelson
                                                                                Member
                                                                                • Sep 2006
                                                                                • 89

...it strikes me, as a former guitarist, that a speaker front baffle should behave similarly. That's my main premise here... Magico, YG Acoustics, Rockport, and some others believe the same thing, and for good reasons, I think. No one I know in the business (as opposed to in DIY) thinks MDF is a good cabinet material anymore.
                                                                                Does this line of thinking pertain only to the front baffle or to all sides of the cabinet.

I thought the energy absorption or dampening qualities of MDF was what was wanted on all sides except the front baffle and that was why it was used (well one of the reasons at least). It just usually gets used for the baffle as well since the builder has the material on hand.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                  Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                  • Aug 2000
                                                                                  • 15284

A little more measurement work done, a little more design work.

One more pass this weekend, then time to order parts.

Name:	ArdentSchm0910.PNG
Views:	3284
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	853663

Name:	ArdentPlot0910.PNG
Views:	3324
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	853664

What I forgot to copy was the impedance curve, which looks more like an interstate highway than a mountain road. :W
                                                                                  Last edited by theSven; 14 May 2023, 21:38 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
                                                                                  the AudioWorx
                                                                                  Natalie P
                                                                                  M8ta
                                                                                  Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                  Modula MT XE
                                                                                  Modula Xtreme
                                                                                  Isiris
                                                                                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                  Minerva Monitor
                                                                                  Calliope
                                                                                  Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                  Obi-Wan
                                                                                  Modula PWB
                                                                                  Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                  Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                  Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• chasw98
                                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                                    • Jan 2006
                                                                                    • 1360

L7, L8, and L9 will set you back a few sheckels, eh? And C9 is no slouch either.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                      Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                      • Aug 2000
                                                                                      • 15284

The zobel coils can be really high DCR- I have to admit I'll probably go back and double check all values, but LspCAD doesn't lie about what it takes to make good conjugate networks, unfortunately. Tweeters with really low Fs are both a blessing and a pain. :W L7 is just two 8 mH 18 or 20 AWG coils in series- not that bad cost wise. The last iteration of C9 was 1,000 uF- using the 10% Dayton's, it's not too bad- the cheap seats will use NP electrolytics, I guess. I'll post the Z curve later today...

I have the feeling this is all "gelling", if you know what I mean. You've got email on a related topic.
                                                                                      the AudioWorx
                                                                                      Natalie P
                                                                                      M8ta
                                                                                      Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                      Modula MT XE
                                                                                      Modula Xtreme
                                                                                      Isiris
                                                                                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                      Minerva Monitor
                                                                                      Calliope
                                                                                      Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                      Obi-Wan
                                                                                      Modula PWB
                                                                                      Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                      Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                      Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Face
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Mar 2007
                                                                                        • 995

Parts Connexion has 15% capacitors till the end of the month.
                                                                                        SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• chasw98
                                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                                          • Jan 2006
                                                                                          • 1360

The zobel coils can be really high DCR- I have to admit I'll probably go back and double check all values, but LspCAD doesn't lie about what it takes to make good conjugate networks, unfortunately. Tweeters with really low Fs are both a blessing and a pain. :W L7 is just two 8 mH 18 or 20 AWG coils in series- not that bad cost wise. The last iteration of C9 was 1,000 uF- using the 10% Dayton's, it's not too bad- the cheap seats will use NP electrolytics, I guess. I'll post the Z curve later today...

I have the feeling this is all "gelling", if you know what I mean. You've got email on a related topic.
                                                                                          Would you adjust the 'R' in the LCR circuit to compensate for a high DCR in the inductor? Got the email. Thanks.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                            Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                            • Aug 2000
                                                                                            • 15284

Originally posted by chasw98
                                                                                            Would you adjust the 'R' in the LCR circuit to compensate for a high DCR in the inductor? Got the email. Thanks.
                                                                                            Oh, very definitely I would- so if the coil has a DCR of two ohms, and there's two in parallel, and the target total R was 8 ohms, for example, I'd only use 4 ohms in the resistor. LF zobels like this can see some significant power, too, so we won't be using wimpy little 10 watt resistors... :W
                                                                                            the AudioWorx
                                                                                            Natalie P
                                                                                            M8ta
                                                                                            Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                            Modula MT XE
                                                                                            Modula Xtreme
                                                                                            Isiris
                                                                                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                            Minerva Monitor
                                                                                            Calliope
                                                                                            Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                            Obi-Wan
                                                                                            Modula PWB
                                                                                            Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                            Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                            Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"