Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dean100
    • Jan 2007

Originally posted by JonMarsh

The scary and exciting thing about a project when it gets to this point is that the end is in sight, and the realization of the original vision becomes more palpable- BUT!! The opportunity for "catastrophic yield loss" is high at this point- have to work carefully and with premeditation- thats why I did a test run on the finishing technique I figured to try earlier this week. Better to screw up on a cut off scrap then on a speaker with many tens of hours invested.

Well, good news is I've got the second cabinet glued and clamped up- tomorrow AM I should be able to take the clamps off, and start on some of the detail prep work.
    Looking very good Jon. Slow and steady..........

Comment

• TacoD
      Super Senior Member
      • Feb 2004

Jon what type of biscuit joiner are you using?

Oh btw I think your woodwork is not bad at all considering you're working from a garage shop, instead of a cnc controlled workshop .

Comment

• Hank
        Super Senior Member
        • Jul 2002

I just don't move as fast these days as I did 30 years ago!
        Hold on there, Pilgrim - I hold the sloth title around here. Compared to me, you move at warp speed. Those cabs are looking good and Brinks truck solid! I haven't even tested my batch of 25 Peerless mid-woofs yet, much less started my OBLA Dee baffles. I could use the excuses of going out of town several weekends to take care of things at the family farm and my 93 year-old aunt's affairs now that I'm her guardian, and building a school-room storage cabinet for my daughter the new first grade teacher, and building a toy box for my new grandson, and about to start building a fence gate to replace a seriously warped and cracked one. BUT, those are excuses and I need to put pencil to graph paper, test the woofs and make my final decision on whither RD75 or RD50.

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Hank
          Hold on there, Pilgrim - I hold the sloth title around here. Compared to me, you move at warp speed. Those cabs are looking good and Brinks truck solid! I haven't even tested my batch of 25 Peerless mid-woofs yet, much less started my OBLA Dee baffles. I could use the excuses of going out of town several weekends to take care of things at the family farm and my 93 year-old aunt's affairs now that I'm her guardian, and building a school-room storage cabinet for my daughter the new first grade teacher, and building a toy box for my new grandson, and about to start building a fence gate to replace a seriously warped and cracked one. BUT, those are excuses and I need to put pencil to graph paper, test the woofs and make my final decision on whither RD75 or RD50.

Actually, Hank, as we get older, we should move with more alacrity on these projects- after all, we have less time left to listen to them when they're done! :W

Jon what type of biscuit joiner are you using?

Oh btw I think your woodwork is not bad at all considering you're working from a garage shop, instead of a cnc controlled workshop .
          Well, maybe I can upgrade on my next project! :roll: :W

Thanks for the kind words- my jointer is a DeWalt DW682- I looked at quite a few before settling on that one back in 2003. Looks to be still available.
          the AudioWorx
          Natalie P
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
          Obi-Wan
          Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• CraigJ
            • Feb 2006

... and make my final decision on whither RD75 or RD50.
            Hank,

Since Jon is selling off "stuff" to pay for the Ardents, just buy his RD50s with your tax return $, and be done with the agony.

Craig

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by CraigJ
              Hank,

Since Jon is selling off "stuff" to pay for the Ardents, just buy his RD50s with your tax return $, and be done with the agony.

Craig
              Or.....

Just buy Neo8's and save a bunch over either the RD50 or RD75...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• JonMarsh
                Mad Max Moderator
                • Aug 2000

Of course, don't forget Thomas has an "extra" set of RD75's, too, if you want choice! But I don't know if he's interested in parting with them- I haven't even thought about parting with mine- heck, they've appreciated in value more than anything else I've gotten in the last 5 years!

Let's seem, maybe I should pair them up with a huge stack of Zaph's new 5" driver being sold at Madisound? And just to throw some heresy into the mix, I'd do them sealed....
                the AudioWorx
                Natalie P
                M8ta
                Modula Neo DCC
                Modula MT XE
                Modula Xtreme
                Isiris
                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                Minerva Monitor
                Calliope
                Ardent D

In Development...
                Obi-Wan
                Modula PWB
                Calliope CC Supreme
                Natalie P Ultra
                Natalie P Supreme
                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• chasw98
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006

And just to throw some heresy into the mix, I'd do them sealed....
                  I just lost my breath and fainted. :E

Comment

• Johnloudb
                    Super Senior Member
                    • May 2007

Heresy? How about blasphemy!

He's just messing with your mind Chuck.
                    Last edited by Johnloudb; 07 August 2009, 03:22 Friday.
                    John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• JonP
                      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by JohnA
                      Here is a good source for all sorts of epoxies, and at some very good prices. This is their entire line of products. And also quite a bit of info about epoxies. It's a bit hard to navigate through it, but they do have a lot there.

source for EPOXY PRODUCTS 40 PLUS EPOXIES Advise, support, orders, recomemdations - floor, marine, underwater - 603-435-7199

This is the exact same place, the big difference is they do not show all of their available products on this much simpler to navigate storefront.

http://www.epoxyusa.com/default.asp
                      Have been highly enjoying this thread... one of these days, there'll be some FACETS in my future... Can't wait for the finished product.

While we're on epoxy... from my defunct at the moment hobby of High Power Rocketry... West Systems was what everyone swore by as the good stuff, when you wanted to fiberglass that big piece of Sonotube for a rocket airframe... Nice pump bottle dispensers, variety of products, etc...
                      West Systems

Comment

• JohnA
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Apr 2005

Yeah West is good, but West is also pricey. I have used a few of the West epoxy products in the past. and found them to be no better or worse than many others, but they sure did cost a lot more on some things.

Smith & Company is another epoxy brand that is good. With their water thin CPES epoxy sealer getting raves by many, and also negative criticism by many of it's competitors. But almost none of it's competitors really offer anything as thin as it is and that soaks in as deep as it does. It is extremely good for saturating wood with epoxy, but with that it is also very pricey to buy.

smith, smiths, smith's, sealer, window, door, wood, oak, mahogany, teak, primer, paint, varnish, urethane, enamel, flaking, peeling, rot, rotten, rotting, restore, restore door, restore window, restoring, restoration, deteriorate, deteriorated, deterioration, weathered, weathering, Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer, penetrating epoxy, CPES

There is not a whole lot of stuff in epoxies, that is so top secret, that it can not be done for much more reasonable pricing than what some of the "bigger names" charge for it. There is only a limited amount of chemical companies that actually manufacture the raw chemical epoxy formulas that are used by pretty much all the different epoxy vendors. Companies like West and others, probably just specify for them to tweak some of the formulas for them a bit in some way. Most any of the epoxy vendors that specialize in marine grade use epoxies, and offer some epoxies that are even made to cure underwater for boat repairs, more than likely their entire line are high quality epoxies. And are probably way better and also lower cost that what you will find at any hardware store.

Comment

• Hank
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Jul 2002

Actually, Hank, as we get older, we should move with more alacrity on these projects- after all, we have less time left to listen to them when they're done!
                          Whoa, that's harsh and too much reality for me to deal with. Now where's my bottle of tequila...
                          Or.....Just buy Neo8's and save a bunch over either the RD50 or RD75...
                          I thought about that for .023 seconds, but I'm hung up on the RD legend. My problem is that I've not listened to RD's or Neo's, so I can't rely on good old subjective comparisons. If the sound quality is equal, I'd buy the Neo's.
                          And just to throw some heresy into the mix, I'd do them sealed....
                          I just lost my breath and fainted.
                          I am (almost) speechless. Here we are, trying to build our last, best reproducers of the musical note via Open Baffle Line Arrays, and a miscreant has the audacity to suggest SEALED? BOXED-IN music? Evil Twin: please send a psychokinetic strangle to Jon for 11 seconds to shock him back to reality.

Comment

• cjd
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Dec 2004

Mortgage the house and use the funds to attend live events. Forget speakers.
                            diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• ---k---
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Nov 2005

But I was so disappointed when I saw Blue Man Group live in Chicago. The DVD is so much better at home!

And I'm still trying to think of what to make of Dvorak at the CSO. Maybe it was the cheep gallery seats, or maybe I'm just pre-programmed to recorded music, but I think I'm going to start a holy war and say that live events are over-rated.

Collage of Dupage has some interesting world music coming up. I think I'm going to give live events a few more trys.
                              - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                              CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                              CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                Mad Max Moderator
                                • Aug 2000

About ready for main veneering now...

Been busy today with a mixture of things, both side tasks like an assembly/finishing turntable, and detail work on the cabinets, plus veneer cutting and prep.

Sheesh, this is too much like working for a living!

OTOH, things are moving along.... :B

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ardent-Shell2Veneer.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	936593

The "Tool of the day" for this Friday is the Porter Cable 390 5" random orbital sander- worth every penny! A real time saver compared with what I was doing with a smaller sander for the M8ta- live and learn. Some day I'll get good at this, if I do it enough....

Featuring Norton Abrasives Hook and Loom sanding disks (sure wish I was getting spiffed for mentioning this stuff!)

Have a good weekend everyone- I'll be working away...
                                Last edited by theSven; 15 May 2023, 11:57 Monday. Reason: Update image location
                                the AudioWorx
                                Natalie P
                                M8ta
                                Modula Neo DCC
                                Modula MT XE
                                Modula Xtreme
                                Isiris
                                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                Minerva Monitor
                                Calliope
                                Ardent D

In Development...
                                Obi-Wan
                                Modula PWB
                                Calliope CC Supreme
                                Natalie P Ultra
                                Natalie P Supreme
                                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• cjd
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Dec 2004

I have to check and see if I have that sander or a different model PC - it sure is nice though!

Getting closer.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Jan 2006

I think your being a bit modest there Jon, your cabinets are always fantastic looking so I think you are already pretty dang good at it Honestly those cabinets could be left just like they are with some poly on them. THey look very nice the way they sit! But I admit they will look fantastic with the birds eye.

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • May 2007

Yeah, I completely with Dougie. Those look great and are going to look gorgeous.

Jon, I forgot to ask you, do you have any tricks for getting the enamel off the Cardas wire. I have some Cardas hookup wire and I haven't used it because each strand of the wire is individually insulated. It's a real pain to scrape each strand of wire off before soldering. And I always worry that I'll miss one or two strands.
                                      John unk:

Comment

• Hdale85
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Jan 2006

How about a lighter? I had some wire like that and I lit the end up with a lighter then scrapped it all off.

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • May 2007

Okay, thanks, I'll give it shot.
                                          John unk:

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                            Mad Max Moderator
                                            • Aug 2000

Here's the skinny: The melting point of the insulation on Cardas wire is up fairly high- a solder pot is one way to deal with it (which I used to use, when I had Weller irons with the fixed number temps), but now I use a temperature control Weller station- you just need to crank that puppy up to about 460 C, and use a large tip that can collect some solder on the end to help with the contact to melt the insulation.

I do NOT recommend a lighter, as the temperature can be quite a bit hotter, and you can affect the surface metallurgy of the copper in an unfavorable way.

Cardas has some good FAQ pages on their web site, too- you may find some of the information there helpful.
                                            the AudioWorx
                                            Natalie P
                                            M8ta
                                            Modula Neo DCC
                                            Modula MT XE
                                            Modula Xtreme
                                            Isiris
                                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                            Minerva Monitor
                                            Calliope
                                            Ardent D

In Development...
                                            Obi-Wan
                                            Modula PWB
                                            Calliope CC Supreme
                                            Natalie P Ultra
                                            Natalie P Supreme
                                            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Hdale85
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Jan 2006

Yeah the wire I was using a lighter on was single strand copper and the sleeve melted off rather quickly.

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • May 2007

Well I tried a match and I assume it worked. Still had to scratch the it with a knife but it did seem significantly easier than before. Left some residual carbon deposits and my room now smells like some kid went crazy with a cap gun in here.

I do have a Weller and it does go up to 465 degrees, so I'll try that again. :T I'll probably just use it for special projects that don't require much wiring.
                                                John unk:

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Jan 2006

Just be careful about leaving it up that high I burnt out a heater core on one of my wands from it getting to hot I guess?

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                    Mad Max Moderator
                                                    • Aug 2000

Various little bits of work going on, rather work than post, but this shows the lower facets on one speaker. I'm modifying the method to do just one facet at a time, as doing both at once (as on this one) is REALLY tricky with only one pair of hands! Live and learn...

I'm not likely to get hired as a wood worker at Avalon, but I think this will do for now. :W

Name:	Ardent-Facet-veneerResult2.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	936594

More info and pics will be posted later (yes, this means you, Paul).

We'll see if the order for veneering I've worked out works out as planned. Back next, followed by top, top bevel, front facets, and sides.

Also just picked up a Green River fixture for the driver threaded insert drilling and other tasks that I want to control the drilling precisely- has a nice drill stop, too, for repeatable depth on multiple holes.

Name:	super_zoom.jpg?c=1626760821.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	291.9 KB
ID:	936595
                                                    Last edited by theSven; 15 May 2023, 11:59 Monday. Reason: Update image location
                                                    the AudioWorx
                                                    Natalie P
                                                    M8ta
                                                    Modula Neo DCC
                                                    Modula MT XE
                                                    Modula Xtreme
                                                    Isiris
                                                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                    Minerva Monitor
                                                    Calliope
                                                    Ardent D

In Development...
                                                    Obi-Wan
                                                    Modula PWB
                                                    Calliope CC Supreme
                                                    Natalie P Ultra
                                                    Natalie P Supreme
                                                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Bear
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Dec 2008

Very nice drill guide! The veneering ain't too shabby, either. I look forward to hearing the methods you work out for trimming and adhesion.
                                                      Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                        Mad Max Moderator
                                                        • Aug 2000

The initial veneer sizing is done by the method described earlier, using melamine boards and a trim router to cut it almost to size. Then, after the secret clamping process (have to figure out SOME way to monetize this design! :W ), the final trim was done with a combination of utility knife with fresh blade and a random orbital sander- pretty much the exact same way as they do it at Aavlon. (yes, I have been in the Avalon factory in Boulder, years ago. :W )

I've also roughed out a crossover design using test box data and averaging off axis measurements as an experiment to optimize more towards the power response- that's looking fairly straight forward, but as you might expect with lots of zobel networks- the final design should be much more tube and zero feedback solid state friendly than a certain commercial speaker. OTOH, the crossover won't be cheap.
                                                        the AudioWorx
                                                        Natalie P
                                                        M8ta
                                                        Modula Neo DCC
                                                        Modula MT XE
                                                        Modula Xtreme
                                                        Isiris
                                                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                        Minerva Monitor
                                                        Calliope
                                                        Ardent D

In Development...
                                                        Obi-Wan
                                                        Modula PWB
                                                        Calliope CC Supreme
                                                        Natalie P Ultra
                                                        Natalie P Supreme
                                                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Jed
                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                          • Apr 2005

- the final design should be much more tube and zero feedback solid state friendly than a certain commercial speaker. OTOH, the crossover won't be cheap.
                                                          I see Erse has some nice 12 gauge air core inductors on sale.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                            Mad Max Moderator
                                                            • Aug 2000

Yeah, I saw that- including their "non perfect lay" coils- 5% tolerance. Will be doing some shopping and thinking to decide on which parts to use.
                                                            the AudioWorx
                                                            Natalie P
                                                            M8ta
                                                            Modula Neo DCC
                                                            Modula MT XE
                                                            Modula Xtreme
                                                            Isiris
                                                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                            Minerva Monitor
                                                            Calliope
                                                            Ardent D

In Development...
                                                            Obi-Wan
                                                            Modula PWB
                                                            Calliope CC Supreme
                                                            Natalie P Ultra
                                                            Natalie P Supreme
                                                            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• johngalt47
                                                              • Apr 2007

Where did you get that Green River drilling device?

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                Mad Max Moderator
                                                                • Aug 2000

At my local Woodcraft Store. I've had "cheaper" versions of the same idea, but the one Woodcraft sells seems better designed.
                                                                the AudioWorx
                                                                Natalie P
                                                                M8ta
                                                                Modula Neo DCC
                                                                Modula MT XE
                                                                Modula Xtreme
                                                                Isiris
                                                                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                Minerva Monitor
                                                                Calliope
                                                                Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                Obi-Wan
                                                                Modula PWB
                                                                Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                Natalie P Ultra
                                                                Natalie P Supreme
                                                                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                  Mad Max Moderator
                                                                  • Aug 2000

One more tool time tip...

OK, may as well spill the beans on how to make some of the veneer trimming much easier...

Think Bosch Colt Router- variable speed small format router- the fixed speed guys always seem to be spinning too fast to me.

Plus optional tilt router base....

Name:	41MCJJ2K37L._SL500_AA280_.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	936596

= Click image for larger version

Name:	Ardent-VeneerAngleTrim.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	936597

Works like a charm on those tricky angles. Index lines are at 7-1/2 degree angles, so two notches is 15 degrees, not 10. Goes out to 45 degree max. Final smoothing with a hand block or PC 390 random orbital with 220 grit.
                                                                  Last edited by theSven; 15 May 2023, 11:59 Monday. Reason: Update image location
                                                                  the AudioWorx
                                                                  Natalie P
                                                                  M8ta
                                                                  Modula Neo DCC
                                                                  Modula MT XE
                                                                  Modula Xtreme
                                                                  Isiris
                                                                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                  Minerva Monitor
                                                                  Calliope
                                                                  Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                  Obi-Wan
                                                                  Modula PWB
                                                                  Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                  Natalie P Ultra
                                                                  Natalie P Supreme
                                                                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Jed
                                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                                    • Apr 2005

Jon, one time you should take a pic of all the routers you own next to each other.

"Jon, the router man; Marsh"

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                      Mad Max Moderator
                                                                      • Aug 2000

If this was a movie instead of a Forum thread, it would be in the closing credits,

"Without all these routers, none of this would have been possible!"

or,

"No routers were harmed in the production of these speakers."

(so far, not even a bit burned!)

Good idea for when/if we close the thread... :W

The Colt really is handy, I love the variable speed on it, compared to fixed speed "trimmers". There's also a larger round base for threaded template guides, and a bearing roller guide for non pattern bits.
                                                                      the AudioWorx
                                                                      Natalie P
                                                                      M8ta
                                                                      Modula Neo DCC
                                                                      Modula MT XE
                                                                      Modula Xtreme
                                                                      Isiris
                                                                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                      Minerva Monitor
                                                                      Calliope
                                                                      Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                      Obi-Wan
                                                                      Modula PWB
                                                                      Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                      Natalie P Ultra
                                                                      Natalie P Supreme
                                                                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Paul Ebert
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • May 2004

I've had the Colt with the tilting base on my Amazon wish list for quite a while. Cash is tight these days with two going off to college, but I may spring for it anyway. As a cheaper alternative, I'm still trying to come up with a way to be able to use my regular router (a DW625 - how I wish I'd bought the 621 instead!). Perhaps some sort of custom base.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                          Mad Max Moderator
                                                                          • Aug 2000
                                                                          • 15284

Kids in college are definitely expensive! My daughter is 25, but still may have some more cost in that area soon.
                                                                          The Colt and the special base are pretty reasonably priced- but I can understand how even expenditures like that may have to be watched. Tools are mostly my only vice in life... ha, made a joke!

I did do those lower facets on the one cabinet by hand and with the PC390, but obviously I wasn't thinking, as it should be doable with the Colt. Have to see if that works out.
                                                                          the AudioWorx
                                                                          Natalie P
                                                                          M8ta
                                                                          Modula Neo DCC
                                                                          Modula MT XE
                                                                          Modula Xtreme
                                                                          Isiris
                                                                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                          Minerva Monitor
                                                                          Calliope
                                                                          Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                          Obi-Wan
                                                                          Modula PWB
                                                                          Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                          Natalie P Ultra
                                                                          Natalie P Supreme
                                                                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Hank
                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                            • Jul 2002
                                                                            • 1345

Tools are mostly my only vice in life... ha, made a joke!
                                                                            What about tequila and beer??
                                                                            I've raised 4 kids and the 22-year-old is still in college . Now you know the reason I haven't built lots of high-end speakers over the years

Comment

• cjd
                                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                                              • Dec 2004
                                                                              • 5568

I just snagged one of those Colts the other day along with a spiral downcut flush-trim bit... So far it's a superb little piece of hardware! I did not get the tilt base with mine, maybe I should have. I see now that a few variants are available. I'm much more comfortable using it on small piece work - take things a little slower (don't cut as deep per pass) and it's even doing cutouts just fine. Would have been handy for the funky surrounds I just did, where I did the flush-trim work with a good old-fashioned hand plane.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                • Aug 2000
                                                                                • 15284

What about tequila and beer??
                                                                                I've raised 4 kids and the 22-year-old is still in college . Now you know the reason I haven't built lots of high-end speakers over the years

Hank, Hank.... :nono:

tequila is not a vice, it's a necessity!
                                                                                the AudioWorx
                                                                                Natalie P
                                                                                M8ta
                                                                                Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                Modula MT XE
                                                                                Modula Xtreme
                                                                                Isiris
                                                                                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                Minerva Monitor
                                                                                Calliope
                                                                                Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                Obi-Wan
                                                                                Modula PWB
                                                                                Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                  Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                  • Aug 2000
                                                                                  • 15284

Originally posted by cjd
                                                                                  I just snagged one of those Colts the other day along with a spiral downcut flush-trim bit... So far it's a superb little piece of hardware! I did not get the tilt base with mine, maybe I should have. I see now that a few variants are available. I'm much more comfortable using it on small piece work - take things a little slower (don't cut as deep per pass) and it's even doing cutouts just fine. Would have been handy for the funky surrounds I just did, where I did the flush-trim work with a good old-fashioned hand plane.

Couldn't agree with you more, Chris- I think it's probably the class leading item in it's category. I've got it setup with the template base and a spiral upcut for cutouts, too.
                                                                                  the AudioWorx
                                                                                  Natalie P
                                                                                  M8ta
                                                                                  Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                  Modula MT XE
                                                                                  Modula Xtreme
                                                                                  Isiris
                                                                                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                  Minerva Monitor
                                                                                  Calliope
                                                                                  Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                  Obi-Wan
                                                                                  Modula PWB
                                                                                  Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                  Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                  Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• fjhuerta
                                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                                    • Jun 2006
                                                                                    • 1140

Hank, Hank.... :nono:

tequila is not a vice, it's a necessity!
                                                                                    Truer words were never spoken. :T We may not have beer, wine, whisky, vodka (or even milk!) but there's always - always a good bottle of Tequila around.
                                                                                    Javier Huerta

Comment

• Paul Ebert
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • May 2004
                                                                                      • 402

Originally posted by cjd
                                                                                      I just snagged one of those Colts the other day along with a spiral downcut flush-trim bit... So far it's a superb little piece of hardware! I did not get the tilt base with mine, maybe I should have.
                                                                                      The tilt base is available on Amazon (and I assume elsewhere):

Colt tilt base

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                        Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                        • Aug 2000
                                                                                        • 15284

I've used it to trip the top side veneer over the angled facets and backs; works like a charm.
                                                                                        the AudioWorx
                                                                                        Natalie P
                                                                                        M8ta
                                                                                        Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                        Modula MT XE
                                                                                        Modula Xtreme
                                                                                        Isiris
                                                                                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                        Minerva Monitor
                                                                                        Calliope
                                                                                        Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                        Obi-Wan
                                                                                        Modula PWB
                                                                                        Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                        Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                        Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Hank
                                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                                          • Jul 2002
                                                                                          • 1345

Truer words were never spoken. We may not have beer, wine, whisky, vodka (or even milk!) but there's always - always a good bottle of Tequila around.
                                                                                          I've found another friend. :boozer:

Comment

• Jed
                                                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                            • Apr 2005
                                                                                            • 3617

The Illuminator 6620 is now $1 more than the similar Air Circ 6600, which is good news. Thought I'd let you know. Also, pretty much the entire Illuminator line is going through price changes-- for the better.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"