Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Navy Guy
    • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Alaric
    From what little I've picked up hanging around here, that looks very nice! :T
    Thanks!
    www.pursuitofperfectsound.com

Comment

• DigitalMaven
      • Feb 2017

Originally posted by Navy Guy
      Maybe I am taking it the wrong way, but I felt like you were doing the same thing to me. Your PM reads like I should check out your sim because it would be an improvement on my design. I don't think I was rude in my initial two responses. I just said that there were issues with your sim. I also said maybe there was a typo in something because my graphs came out significantly different than yours. But I still find fault in not simulating baffle losses or driver positions on a baffle. When I brought this up, and used results that simulated it, you claimed that I had done it wrong because it should be at 90 dB. To me, that makes me think that you didn't understand baffle losses. Again, I don't think I was rude in suggesting that you could check out a video I made to explain the topic or trying to make you sound like an idiot. Other than that, you asked why I made the design decisions I did, which I think I answered politely as well.

I'm sorry if it came across as being that way or that I was trying to make it sound like I know everything (which I definitely don't) and for my last response. Obviously conversing over the internet has some downsides.

To answer your last question about the real world practicality of full BSC, every speaker I've ever designed and placed any any room of various sizes need at least 3 dB of baffle step to sound right to me. In my old apartment, I always was around 5 db. In my current living room, slightly more than a full 6 dB actually sounds better. Something like a downward tilt sounds more natural too me. My living room sucks the bass out of everything. But even when I've built speakers to be pushed against a wall, I always thought 3 db sounded more natural. The room is the one place that adds the most variance, and it's hard to design for all situations without adding L-Pads or something. I think most people (as in non-audiophiles) tend to prefer exagerated bass over lean bass anyway, so having too much is usually less of a problem than having too little.

The only problem I can think of is at some point the baffle step shifts from full space to half space...by moving the entire curve down 6db aren't you causing problems down the line because now your gaining 6db between 400 herz and above...wouldn't it have been better to just model a 6db bump from 500-100hz and kept the same curv if i'm using the infinite baffle size frd.? Most likely this is what threw me and questioned your revision of my crossover.

example...

Click image for larger version

Name:	boomstick6db.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	862800

Click image for larger version

Name:	boomstick3way.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	862801

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"