X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Alaric
    Via I-10? If so , you went right past me. I've heard the appliance argument too , but if the bike does what I want when I want to , I'm a fan. They're a little heavy , but as you said-80-100 feels normal , and it will still get with the program when you twist it open at those speeds. The torque curve and the ability to make the road smooth win out over engine noise for me. Besides , if you know how many parts are in the engine and what they're all doing at 5k RPM , the engine sounds make it the internal combustion equivalent of a Swiss watch.
    Very, VERY true all around! :T

We arrived in Shady Cove Wednesday evening, and spent the day up at Crater lake hiking yesterday- this pic was taken while we were going around part of the rim trail.

Click image for larger version

Name:	_IGP1157SS_zps46d54d87.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	237.1 KB
ID:	934481

Had a great dinner last night in a place a few miles up the road from where we're staying, called "Rogue River Lodge"- excellent food and service, sitting right on the Rogue River.

Today it's back on the road, to Ashford WA, where the wedding will be held tomorrow. It's going to be a long day on the road!
    Last edited by theSven; 01 May 2023, 14:41 Monday. Reason: Update image location
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonW
      Super Senior Member
      • Jan 2006

Wow. Those photos look amazing. Have a great trip! :T

Comment

• Alaric
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

Did you take the VFR ? May be a silly question. Some ladies are all for the idea of two wheeled vacation , some ladies just look at you funny until you say "I'll get the car packed , Dear".
        Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
        Marantz PM-KI Pearl
        Schiit Modi 3
        Marantz CD5005
        Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Alaric
          Did you take the VFR ? May be a silly question. Some ladies are all for the idea of two wheeled vacation , some ladies just look at you funny until you say "I'll get the car packed , Dear".
          :rofl:

If you could see the amount of stuff she had stacked up to load into the back of my Honda element, you wouldn't have posed that question! Even the ST wouldn't have made a dent in it! Mind you, this was a combination hotel and camping trip (camping on the way back) but she had three suitcases! Plus the camping gear, which includes a 5 person tent! Even pulling out the rear seats, we had stuff piled up to a bit above the lower height of the windows.
          the AudioWorx
          Natalie P
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Obi-Wan
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by JonW
            Wow. Those photos look amazing. Have a great trip! :T
            Visiting that area of Canada and wanting to go back in touring trim is one of the main reasons I bought the ST-1300- figured it was the right rig for going up there. But didn't figure work would get so crazy and be hard to get time off!

this trip for the family wedding was essential, though- a line in the sand, if you will…
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Obi-Wan
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
              Mad Max Moderator
              • Aug 2000

The retreat for this wedding is pretty interesting- the bride and groom are both into holistic practices and very natural lifestyles- the event is at this place, where we are also staying-

Welcome to Wellspring, a woodland retreat and spa at the base of Mt Rainier. Lodging | Availability | Frequently Asked Questions info@wellspringspa.com

I have old hippie artist friends in the Northeast that would just love this place...

Name:	deluxe30.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	934482

Name:	deluxe24.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	934483

We're staying in a place that looks like this:

Name:	classic01.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	934484

Name:	classic07.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	934485

It's one of the "three bears". :W

I've been warming up shooting some pics of the floor arrangements the bride's girlfriends have been putting together- however, I must note it's just about noon, and we've been rained on twice this morning- and this is supposed to be the dry season!

Name:	_IGP1199copy_zpscb786feb.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	273.0 KB
ID:	934486

The food is nice, but pretty much all vegan and vegetarian- makes me wish they had a form for special dietary requirements, so I could check "Red meat" and "gluten" (both the bride and groom are glued intolerant). Sigh... well, civilization isn't that far away! :W
              Last edited by theSven; 01 May 2023, 14:41 Monday. Reason: Update image location
              the AudioWorx
              Natalie P
              M8ta
              Modula Neo DCC
              Modula MT XE
              Modula Xtreme
              Isiris
              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
              Minerva Monitor
              Calliope
              Ardent D

In Development...
              Obi-Wan
              Modula PWB
              Calliope CC Supreme
              Natalie P Ultra
              Natalie P Supreme
              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• 5th element
                Supreme Being Moderator
                • Sep 2009

I actually rather like the décor in that cabin, I wouldn't want it like that all the time, but as a change, it's rather nice and looks very inviting. The pictures of those flowers really pop, the colours look really vibrant which is quite something with my colour blindness, I often find that plants don't make me go 'wow' look at that colour anywhere near as much others do. People around me will be like, wow look at the berries on that plant or the flowers on that one and I'm like, what, sometimes I can barely see them. So good work!
                What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
                5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
                Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• Steve Manning
                  • Dec 2006

Jon your making me homesick ....... I grew up a little bit north of where your at in a town called Everson, right out side of Bellingham. I've been in all but two states across the country and I still find that area has some of the most amazing scenery!
                  Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

Comment

• JonMarsh
                    Mad Max Moderator
                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Steve Manning
                    Jon your making me homesick ....... I grew up a little bit north of where your at in a town called Everson, right out side of Bellingham. I've been in all but two states across the country and I still find that area has some of the most amazing scenery!
                    Quite true, Stever! though I live in the SF bay area, I have a special feeling for the Pacific Northwest! Want to do some bike touring up here some day, too! That will likely have to wait until retirement in a few years....
                    the AudioWorx
                    Natalie P
                    M8ta
                    Modula Neo DCC
                    Modula MT XE
                    Modula Xtreme
                    Isiris
                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                    Minerva Monitor
                    Calliope
                    Ardent D

In Development...
                    Obi-Wan
                    Modula PWB
                    Calliope CC Supreme
                    Natalie P Ultra
                    Natalie P Supreme
                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                      Mad Max Moderator
                      • Aug 2000

The wedding came off very nicely as non-traditional weddings go, I was a tertiary photographer but was working my butt off, went through 3 different lenses in different parts of the ceremony (long prime, a long macro, and a short zoom) and was sweating like a dog by the end! And I even kept clear of the official photographer, other than trading a few quiet quips during the ceremony- she was another relative on the O'Brien side who actually is a pro photographer- weddings her specialty, of course.

But I wouldn't say I had the right camera for this at all- my medium format doesn't have an extended ISO range, and I will need to make some trade offs in the RAW FILE development between resolution and chroma noise- (gotta get one of those 645z to replace my 645D- it would have been perfect!) But I think I got a fair number of good shots of each stage of the "ceremony". We'll see after the development process from RAW files- the camera previews seem to look OK.

The band they hired is really cool- though they're mixing it in with GF's brother as DJ, to spread things out.

Name:	6cffa9_54bb8e1afc92c6090c2fa0996c8e6efc.jpg_srz_447_622_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	934487

Its the "Nu Klezmer Army", which plays, as you might guess, Klesmer music- is a musical tradition of the Ashkenazi Jews of Eastern Europe. Played by professional musicians called klezmorim, the genre originally consisted largely of dance tunes and instrumental display pieces for weddings and other celebrations.

Name:	6cffa9_693626ada71cb9adbfba7409d58eef78.jpg_srz_1024_678_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	484.2 KB
ID:	934488

Anyway, these guys are GOOD, including a young gal who's an accomplished violinist in this genre. Current line up includes a full drum set and standup bass. They're as tight as a good jazz band, so naturally, when I chatted them up after their first set, I bought one of their CD's. I'm looking forward to seeing how well that compares with the live experience....
                      Last edited by theSven; 01 May 2023, 14:42 Monday. Reason: Update image location
                      the AudioWorx
                      Natalie P
                      M8ta
                      Modula Neo DCC
                      Modula MT XE
                      Modula Xtreme
                      Isiris
                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                      Minerva Monitor
                      Calliope
                      Ardent D

In Development...
                      Obi-Wan
                      Modula PWB
                      Calliope CC Supreme
                      Natalie P Ultra
                      Natalie P Supreme
                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                        Mad Max Moderator
                        • Aug 2000

Back in town, and actually have the speaker flipped over and getting read to do minor surgery- will swap in a 3.9uF for the 3.3uF on C4 (first tweeter cap) and will do a temp change of R1 from about 3.1 to 4.7 Ohms, based on LspCAD sims. Also plan to swap out the L1 from 3.5 mH to 5.6 mH that I have on hand, but NOT until after I do a very near boundary measurement for DAR47 to see how the BSC looks as well as overall 30Hz to 1 kHz response. If he wants to place them this way, leaving L1 as is may be the best choice for him.

Got other more mundane chores to do today, but this is a priority for my nominal free time.

Oh, and just to give you an idea of how we've been wasting the last week, here's a picture taken on the trail while hiking- we met up with a guy about my age and his son on a trail near Longmire, and I took pictures of them with this backdrop to email to them, but also took a few without any warm bodies in the view... :W

Resolution of the pic is about 1300 X 1800, so if you have a bigger display or a retina display, it might be worth maxing out your window. The original pic is 3x the resolution in both dimensions. (gotta love medium format...) Posted via Virtual Avenue, so Photo-bucket isn't adding their compression- the picture as shown is only a 1.5 MB file. The full size TIFF is about 40MB.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Mt_Rainier_Trail_SS.jpg Views:	14 Size:	1,018.8 KB ID:	934489
                        Last edited by theSven; 25 June 2023, 20:30 Sunday. Reason: Update text
                        the AudioWorx
                        Natalie P
                        M8ta
                        Modula Neo DCC
                        Modula MT XE
                        Modula Xtreme
                        Isiris
                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                        Minerva Monitor
                        Calliope
                        Ardent D

In Development...
                        Obi-Wan
                        Modula PWB
                        Calliope CC Supreme
                        Natalie P Ultra
                        Natalie P Supreme
                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• benthe8track
                          • Feb 2008

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                          Back in town, and actually have the speaker flipped over and getting read to do minor surgery- will swap in a 3.9uF for the 3.3uF on C4 (first tweeter cap) and will do a temp change of R1 from about 3.1 to 4.7 Ohms, based on LspCAD sims. Also plan to swap out the L1 from 3.5 mH to 5.6 mH that I have on hand, but NOT until after I do a very near boundary measurement for DAR47 to see how the BSC looks as well as overall 30Hz to 1 kHz response. If he wants to place them this way, leaving L1 as is may be the best choice for him.

Got other more mundane chores to do today, but this is a priority for my nominal free time.

Oh, and just to give you an idea of how we've been wasting the last week, here's a picture taken on the trail while hiking- we met up with a guy about my age and his son on a trail near Longmire, and I took pictures of them with this backdrop to email to them, but also took a few without any warm bodies in the view... :W

Resolution of the pic is about 1300 X 1800, so if you have a bigger display or a retina display, it might be worth maxing out your window. The original pic is 3x the resolution in both dimensions. (gotta love medium format...) Posted via Virtual Avenue, so Photo-bucket isn't adding their compression- the picture as shown is only a 1.5 MB file. The full size TIFF is about 40MB.
                          Great photo! I took Dar47 up to Lake Louise last week on his first ever hike and he did great for an old guy! I gave up on lugging around my dslr on hikes long ago so we only have crappy cell phone pictures unfortunitly.
                          Last edited by theSven; 25 June 2023, 20:31 Sunday. Reason: Update quote

Comment

• Steve Manning
                            • Dec 2006

Nice picture Jon ...... looks like you had some nice weather while you were there. Picture reminds me of my last trip I took up to Mt Baker a number of years ago.

Name:	IMG_0872_resize.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	859230
                            Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

Comment

• JonMarsh
                              Mad Max Moderator
                              • Aug 2000

We had great weather for around there, though the last couple of days were clouded over at the summit, and ground fog in the morning at the Paradise Lodge/Inn. I'd hoped to get some better pictures later in the week when we were up there, from Longmire, but the weather gods didn't fully cooperate.

Great photo! I took Dar47 up to Lake Louise last week on his first ever hike and he did great for an old guy! I gave up on lugging around my dslr on hikes long ago so we only have crappy cell phone pictures unfortunitly.
                              Yeah, well I'm sure I'm some kind of retard for hauling around a medium format camera instead of my 35mm DSLR on hikes, but the lenses and sensors just render a bit differently, in a way I like, especially when you see the full resolution picture in Adobe1998 or ProPhotoRGB on a good screen or printout. The Pentax 645 is the only weather ruggedized medium format I know of, it's weather sealed and rated for 18F operation, just like the 35mm Pentax I use. I have more lenses for the big guy, though, and in particular the 45-85mm 645 FA zoom is better optically then even the DA* 35mm lens- sharper, and much lower chromatic aberration. I also have some great 67 lenses that can be used on the camera. For field landscape work, you can get by with just the 45-85 and the 120mm Macro or the 150mm f2.8- so just two lenses to carry. I think of it as conditioning weights... glad to hear your dad did well and enjoyed the hiking at Lake Louise! I'm still figuring to do some motorcycle touring and hiking up in that area after I retire, and have more free time to prioritize.

Here's a pic of Mt Ranier taken from the campsite road- our site would be directly off to the right- taken at late evening.

Name:	_IGP1387MtRainierCampSite.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	658.9 KB
ID:	934490
                              Last edited by theSven; 01 May 2023, 14:42 Monday. Reason: Update image location
                              the AudioWorx
                              Natalie P
                              M8ta
                              Modula Neo DCC
                              Modula MT XE
                              Modula Xtreme
                              Isiris
                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                              Minerva Monitor
                              Calliope
                              Ardent D

In Development...
                              Obi-Wan
                              Modula PWB
                              Calliope CC Supreme
                              Natalie P Ultra
                              Natalie P Supreme
                              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• 5th element
                                Supreme Being Moderator
                                • Sep 2009

That sure is one beautiful part of the world!
                                What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                  Mad Max Moderator
                                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by 5th element
                                  That sure is one beautiful part of the world!
                                  It certainly is, I have to say it has attractions for me over the Sierra Nevada's or Colorado Rockies. But, an often overlooked point is that Mt. Rainier is considered to still be an active volcano- it just hasn't done anything lately....

Mount Rainier (pronounced: /reɪˈnɪər/ - ray-near) is a massive stratovolcano located 54 miles (87 km) southeast of Seattle in the state of Washington, United States. It is the most topographically prominent mountain in the contiguous United States and the Cascade Volcanic Arc, with a summit elevation of 14,411 ft (4,392 m).[1][2] Mt. Rainier is considered one of the most dangerous volcanoes in the world, and it is on the Decade Volcano list.[7] Because of its large amount of glacial ice, Mt. Rainier could potentially produce massive lahars that would threaten the whole Puyallup River valley.[8]
                                  Mt Rainier used to be about 16,000 feet in elevation until a major debris avalanche and the resulting Osceola Mudflow approximately 5,000 years ago reduced it to it's present elevation.
                                  Although Mount Rainier is an active volcano, as of 2010 there was no evidence of an imminent eruption.[32] However, an eruption could be devastating for all areas surrounding the volcano.[33] Mount Rainier is currently listed as a Decade Volcano, or one of the 17 volcanoes with the greatest likelihood of causing great loss of life and property if eruptive activity resumes.[34] If Mt. Rainier were to erupt as powerfully as Mount St. Helens did in its May 18, 1980, eruption, the effect would be cumulatively greater, because of the far more massive amounts of glacial ice locked on the volcano compared to Mount St. Helens[30] and the vastly more heavily populated areas surrounding Rainier.[35] Lahars from Rainier pose the most risk to life and property,[36] as many communities lie atop older lahar deposits. According to USGS, about 150,000 people live on top of old lahar deposits of Rainier.[8] Not only is there much ice atop the volcano, the volcano is also slowly being weakened by hydrothermal activity. According to Geoff Clayton, a geologist with a Washington State Geology firm, RH2 Engineering, a repeat of the Osceola mudflow would destroy Enumclaw, Orting, Kent, Auburn, Puyallup, Sumner and all of Renton.[29] Such a mudflow might also reach down the Duwamish estuary and destroy parts of downtown Seattle, and cause tsunamis in Puget Sound and Lake Washington.[37]Rainier is also capable of producing pyroclastic flows and expelling lava.[37]
                                  5,000 years is an eye blink in geological terms...

There are warning signs about the dangers of camping in the park due to possible geological activity... including mud flows and flash floods.

It all reminds me of the idea that we don't need to do anything overt about stupid people, just remove all the warning labels and let things sort themselves out on their own... what does that say about me? :W
                                  the AudioWorx
                                  Natalie P
                                  M8ta
                                  Modula Neo DCC
                                  Modula MT XE
                                  Modula Xtreme
                                  Isiris
                                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                  Minerva Monitor
                                  Calliope
                                  Ardent D

In Development...
                                  Obi-Wan
                                  Modula PWB
                                  Calliope CC Supreme
                                  Natalie P Ultra
                                  Natalie P Supreme
                                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• 5th element
                                    Supreme Being Moderator
                                    • Sep 2009

Isn't Yellowstone supposed to be capable of going boom at some point too? At least Ireland isn't quite so dangerous

Comment

• Carl V
                                      • Apr 2005

Hah, you haven't caravned out west
                                      around Conk or Connemara lately.

Just kiddin.
                                      I was out there Bicycling.
                                      Lotsa travelers. Lovely serene
                                      countryside.

Comment

• dar47
                                        • Nov 2008

Well it sure looked like a nice time away Jon, hope your well rested and ready to rock so to speak. :W

I really enjoyed my first visit to real mountains. On our hike I wondered whether the heart rate and breathing would settle down on the way up but Ben was right, first 20 mins are the roughest.

Only iphone pics but hear is the shore of your money shot

Click image for larger version  Name:	photo1.webp Views:	15 Size:	37.1 KB ID:	934491

another up the mountain on the way to the tea house, proof I did go with my fear of heights. :B

Image not available
                                        Last edited by theSven; 25 June 2023, 20:34 Sunday. Reason: Remove broken image link

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                          Mad Max Moderator
                                          • Aug 2000

Cool pics, glad you guys made it up there, it's on my bucket list to go back, do some bike touring and exploration up there. Looks like the snow is more melted off than when I was up there in late fall in 2008!

I think I know what you mean about heights, used to affect even riding my motorcycles on mountain roads in Colorado until I got over it- (I think...) (some of the roads we were on in the Mt. Rainier area would probably trigger "issues" were I on a scooter instead of in the car, which shields you from reality). Also read some articles yesterday about guys who died up on Rainier very recently, including a summit ascent team that was swept away in an avalanche- they found the signals from the transponders, and some of the debris from their camp. It's an observation I have of guys and gals I've known in Colorado who are avid climbers, that if you keep doing this long enough, the odds catch up with you...

This summer has been a pretty strange one, when you combine the overall world news and personal and work events.

The wedding went nicely last week, though I haven't had time to work through the RAW files and developing pics, and the young couple is visiting us for a few days starting on Thursday- they're on something of a road trip in the area because of a quest to check out a PhD program in architecture at Davis and one in Santa Barbara.

Yesterday had a meeting with some upper management from Munich, visiting the special local customer where I'm working- I'm getting very mixed messages about future plans and programs, which does't give me a big comfort factor- and tomorrow I have an interview with my new boss regarding future organizational issues and our search for an AE manager candidate. I'd consider taking it, but it would mean a cut in compensation and a lower global grade... doesn't exactly make sense!

GF is going on a big hike on Sunday, it looks like, with one of her girlfriends from IBM, so I should have plenty of speaker work time (we've been having to spend time getting ready to host the new married couple this week- last weekend was something of a bust, apart from taking things apart and getting ready to put new parts in the crossover).

In the old days, I used to prioritize working on a project during a large vacation block in the summer- no such luck this year, but maybe I can take some time off after September... around Thanksgiving or earlier? Later than I'd like for doing the lacquer work on the Isiris...
                                          the AudioWorx
                                          Natalie P
                                          M8ta
                                          Modula Neo DCC
                                          Modula MT XE
                                          Modula Xtreme
                                          Isiris
                                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                          Minerva Monitor
                                          Calliope
                                          Ardent D

In Development...
                                          Obi-Wan
                                          Modula PWB
                                          Calliope CC Supreme
                                          Natalie P Ultra
                                          Natalie P Supreme
                                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• benthe8track
                                            • Feb 2008

GF is going on a big hike on Sunday, it looks like, with one of her girlfriends from IBM, so I should have plenty of speaker work time (we've been having to spend time getting ready to host the new married couple this week- last weekend was something of a bust, apart from taking things apart and getting ready to put new parts in the crossover).

In the old days, I used to prioritize working on a project during a large vacation block in the summer- no such luck this year, but maybe I can take some time off after September... around Thanksgiving or earlier? Later than I'd like for doing the lacquer work on the Isiris...
                                            Curious how the weekend went.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                              Mad Max Moderator
                                              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by benthe8track
                                              Curious how the weekend went.
                                              Not remotely as planned or expected- you know what they say, no one expects the Spanish Inquisition. The recently wedded were visiting since Thursday, and that took a few twists and turns- including a dinner in Berkely that they were supposed to have with some friends but we turned into last minute substitutes- changing the Saturday schedule dramatically- and with a certain amount of drama thrown in. They left about noon time Sunday, GF departed for her hike three hours later than planned originally, and I was then doing essential chores and getting stuff taken to storage which GF was getting antsy about. Only had about 6 hours of sleep the whole weekend, too... I'm too old for this kind of stuff!

The groom (Ross) was rather impressed with the Ardents- he's into what they call the "maker scene", is an architectural grad student, of course has some CAD experience- he shared a link for a project he did with CNC, a nice chair design- great set of pictures.

So, hopefully this weekend will fulfill the promise... nothing else on the agenda I'm aware of, though I do have to report for jury duty tomorrow...

Work project is still teetering on a knife edge.... I guess it's like they say, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger! I sure hope so!
                                              the AudioWorx
                                              Natalie P
                                              M8ta
                                              Modula Neo DCC
                                              Modula MT XE
                                              Modula Xtreme
                                              Isiris
                                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                              Minerva Monitor
                                              Calliope
                                              Ardent D

In Development...
                                              Obi-Wan
                                              Modula PWB
                                              Calliope CC Supreme
                                              Natalie P Ultra
                                              Natalie P Supreme
                                              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Hank
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Jul 2002

:boohoooor Jon - sometimes the Force is against him

Comment

• benthe8track
                                                  • Feb 2008

The best laid schemes of mice and men...
                                                  The CNC we used was part of the "maker scene" in Winnipeg, it made for a unique work atmosphere. Looks like he did some interesting work.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                    Mad Max Moderator
                                                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Hank
                                                    :boohoooor Jon - sometimes the Force is against him
                                                    Yeah, it seems like the only thing putting a smile on my face the last couple of weeks was when I've gotten to ride the big VFR to work or Starbucks or some other errand!

Name:	ImageVFR-1_zpse3812638.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	200.9 KB
ID:	934492

It's not really been that bad, but I want to file a protest- summer is supposed to be better than this!
                                                    Last edited by theSven; 01 May 2023, 14:44 Monday. Reason: Update iage location
                                                    the AudioWorx
                                                    Natalie P
                                                    M8ta
                                                    Modula Neo DCC
                                                    Modula MT XE
                                                    Modula Xtreme
                                                    Isiris
                                                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                    Minerva Monitor
                                                    Calliope
                                                    Ardent D

In Development...
                                                    Obi-Wan
                                                    Modula PWB
                                                    Calliope CC Supreme
                                                    Natalie P Ultra
                                                    Natalie P Supreme
                                                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                      Mad Max Moderator
                                                      • Aug 2000

The best laid schemes of mice and men...
                                                      The CNC we used was part of the "maker scene" in Winnipeg, it made for a unique work atmosphere. Looks like he did some interesting work.
                                                      Gives me some more ideas for retirement... I want to try my hand at furniture someday anyway-

Today, I try my hand at the Hayward Justice Center- usually I'm at the court in Oakland, so have to see what this is like!
                                                      the AudioWorx
                                                      Natalie P
                                                      M8ta
                                                      Modula Neo DCC
                                                      Modula MT XE
                                                      Modula Xtreme
                                                      Isiris
                                                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                      Minerva Monitor
                                                      Calliope
                                                      Ardent D

In Development...
                                                      Obi-Wan
                                                      Modula PWB
                                                      Calliope CC Supreme
                                                      Natalie P Ultra
                                                      Natalie P Supreme
                                                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• 5th element
                                                        Supreme Being Moderator
                                                        • Sep 2009

That is a nice looking bike! Finding ways to take pleasure during everyday necessities is the way to do it though.

Comment

• Carl V
                                                          • Apr 2005

It's not really been that bad, but I want to file a protest- summer is supposed to be better than this!
                                                          technically, you still have another month.
                                                          and being in the east bay you have a few more
                                                          nice months to enjoy your enviable weather/climate.

Not to mention a nice ride over to Half Moon bay
                                                          ...stopping in at Alice's Restaurant in Woodside...
                                                          twisting your way down to the coast, head south ....

Ever gone up & over Mt Hamilton?

wishing you many safe jaunts...& free time to enjoy.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                            Mad Max Moderator
                                                            • Aug 2000

Very nice wishes, Carl- thank you!

Part of the problem this summer is that time is supposed to keep everything from happening at once, and it's not working properly!

We also just had a big announcement yesterday, that our company is acquiring a major US company in the same line of business, and that is likely to make things rather interesting in the future- and pretty dang complicated- as the US company presence staffing wise in the USA is much larger than ours... who knows how that is going to pan out? That's on top of a new reorganization here (about a month ago) along with a new boss. And there's still that special project in Cupertino chugging along, 5 or more days a week for me full time.

In fact, I'm in our corporate office this AM instead of Cupertino, for a AHM meet and greet with German CEO and guy on the board who's been spearheading this acquisition (who happens to be my audio buddy in Munich with the Eggleston savoy's, JL Signatures, and the TotalDAC-D1's).

The merger, the biggest ever by Infineon, will bolster the Germany manufacturer’s presence in Asia and the United States.
                                                            the AudioWorx
                                                            Natalie P
                                                            M8ta
                                                            Modula Neo DCC
                                                            Modula MT XE
                                                            Modula Xtreme
                                                            Isiris
                                                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                            Minerva Monitor
                                                            Calliope
                                                            Ardent D

In Development...
                                                            Obi-Wan
                                                            Modula PWB
                                                            Calliope CC Supreme
                                                            Natalie P Ultra
                                                            Natalie P Supreme
                                                            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Hank
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Jul 2002

How 'bout that - International Rectifier, one of the old line semiconductor companies. Remained independent longer than most. Jon, you could be the corporate culture integration officer. We've bought a lot of companies in a lot of industries over the past several years and acquisition integration is a big, important job. I hope this somehow enhances your career.

but you do need to think about retiring one of these days
                                                              Last edited by Hank; 22 August 2014, 07:53 Friday.

Comment

• benthe8track
                                                                • Feb 2008

Wow that's a big acquisition. In our biz m&a are fairly common. It usually works out well for the staff with various retention incentives.

Speaking of acquisitions I just got the word that this guy will be mine when it's built.

Name:	condo_zpsxuwdy2zi.webp
Views:	128
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	934493

I think the Ardents should fit in nicely.
                                                                Last edited by theSven; 01 May 2023, 14:45 Monday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                  Mad Max Moderator
                                                                  • Aug 2000

Wow that's a big acquisition. In our biz m&a are fairly common. It usually works out well for the staff with various retention incentives.

Speaking of acquisitions I just got the word that this guy will be mine when it's built.

I think the Ardents should fit in nicely.

Wowie Zowie! Do you have a move in date ETA? This is in Calgary, right? Is that triple pane glass? I like the modern look- though I'd likely throw in some teak on the cabinet surfaces to warm things up a bit! :W

Yes, the more I think about our acquisition, even after this morning's meeting and the evident thought thats already been put in to the merger planning, there's a whole lot of what-if's that could be going on through a lot of folks heads in the next 4-6 months until it closes! Then the really interesting stuff will start!
                                                                  Last edited by theSven; 01 May 2023, 14:45 Monday. Reason: Update image location
                                                                  the AudioWorx
                                                                  Natalie P
                                                                  M8ta
                                                                  Modula Neo DCC
                                                                  Modula MT XE
                                                                  Modula Xtreme
                                                                  Isiris
                                                                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                  Minerva Monitor
                                                                  Calliope
                                                                  Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                  Obi-Wan
                                                                  Modula PWB
                                                                  Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                  Natalie P Ultra
                                                                  Natalie P Supreme
                                                                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• 5th element
                                                                    Supreme Being Moderator
                                                                    • Sep 2009

That is a nice new pad, might need some subs for that size space though! It looks rather reverberant too, I suppose if you add curtains that would sort that out though.

Comment

• Hank
                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                      • Jul 2002

VERY snazy, benthe8track! I know a company that makes a window film that'll give a single pane the R value of triple pane windows. I'll try to think of the name...

Comment

• benthe8track
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Feb 2008

Thanks guys! Yeah Jon it's located right downtown Calgary about a 5 minute walk from my office. ETA is spring 2016 so still a ways away. I believe they are tripple pane windows I still need to pour through the disclosure to find out all the ins and outs.
                                                                        Hank-What sort of chemistry wizardy is that?

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                          Mad Max Moderator
                                                                          • Aug 2000
                                                                          • 15311

5 minute walk from your office? I thought I recollected you talking about field work- what kind of balance do you have there? still, that's a nice concept home and great view- and there's no arguing with 5 minutes from the office! :T

Oh, and the latest news as of yesterday, seems to be that this is Ground Hog Weekend (as in the movie), as the young married couple are back, having encountered an unpleasant surprise with potential medical ramifications during the early stage of their planned multi-week vacation/honeymoon, so they're here for the weekend, and may be heading back to Seattle afterwards... man, this has been one really surreal week, with all the twists and turns with stuff going on. So, it's like a re-take or do-over on last weekend- hopefully sans the drama! And not going to Bezerkeley for dinner Saturday night!
                                                                          the AudioWorx
                                                                          Natalie P
                                                                          M8ta
                                                                          Modula Neo DCC
                                                                          Modula MT XE
                                                                          Modula Xtreme
                                                                          Isiris
                                                                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                          Minerva Monitor
                                                                          Calliope
                                                                          Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                          Obi-Wan
                                                                          Modula PWB
                                                                          Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                          Natalie P Ultra
                                                                          Natalie P Supreme
                                                                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• benthe8track
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Feb 2008
                                                                            • 371

5 minute walk from your office? I thought I recollected you talking about field work- what kind of balance do you have there? still, that's a nice concept home and great view- and there's no arguing with 5 minutes from the office! :T

Oh, and the latest news as of yesterday, seems to be that this is Ground Hog Weekend (as in the movie), as the young married couple are back, having encountered an unpleasant surprise with potential medical ramifications during the early stage of their planned multi-week vacation/honeymoon, so they're here for the weekend, and may be heading back to Seattle afterwards... man, this has been one really surreal week, with all the twists and turns with stuff going on. So, it's like a re-take or do-over on last weekend- hopefully sans the drama! And not going to Bezerkeley for dinner Saturday night!
                                                                            Yeah I work up north fly in/out but I expect that to change within the next 2 years where I'll be at the downtown location. The wife works downtown and goes to school at the UofC which is just a short train ride from this place. I'm looking forward to the one car/lots of walking lifestyle.

Sorry to hear about your weekend being derailed. Hopefully you can get some Jon time in there with all that going on.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                              Mad Max Moderator
                                                                              • Aug 2000
                                                                              • 15311

Well, if nothing else, there will be some time coming up in early September, when GF heads out with one of her GF's to Lost Wages and various national parks in Utah.

Sounds like you and your wife are setting up a pretty nice situation there! Congratulations!
                                                                              the AudioWorx
                                                                              Natalie P
                                                                              M8ta
                                                                              Modula Neo DCC
                                                                              Modula MT XE
                                                                              Modula Xtreme
                                                                              Isiris
                                                                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                              Minerva Monitor
                                                                              Calliope
                                                                              Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                              Obi-Wan
                                                                              Modula PWB
                                                                              Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                              Natalie P Ultra
                                                                              Natalie P Supreme
                                                                              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                • Aug 2000
                                                                                • 15311

Another "lost" weekend, I'd guess I have to say- the newlyweds have found out that the mice at the Channel Islands DID test positive for Hanta-virus, they had a blood test started at Stanford, and now GF's niece is working up a couple of more visits for consultation if possible- the results of their blood test won't be available until the end of the week, and unfortunately, while it can confirm a positive, due to the incubation time issues, a negative this early is not definitive - follow up testing would be indicated for safety.

GF will be leaving on a week long fund raiser hiking/camping trip on Tuesday, I'm not sure about how long the kids will be around this week- I may have a quiet long Labor Day weekend coming up- cross fingers! To try to ease my commuting issues, I also broke out the cop bike (ST1300) and got the registration up to spec this AM. Have an iffy week coming up, supposed to be doing a two day seminar at my normal work office starting tomorrow, but the customer has other ideas.... even though the guy that's our interface doesn't actually have anything new for all of us today, and we should be wrapped up today- plus there will still be one guy from the team in Cupertino.

This, too, shall come to an end at some point...

Enjoy the last week of August, folks!
                                                                                the AudioWorx
                                                                                Natalie P
                                                                                M8ta
                                                                                Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                Modula MT XE
                                                                                Modula Xtreme
                                                                                Isiris
                                                                                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                Minerva Monitor
                                                                                Calliope
                                                                                Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                Obi-Wan
                                                                                Modula PWB
                                                                                Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Hank
                                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                                  • Jul 2002
                                                                                  • 1345

Hank-What sort of chemistry wizardy is that?
                                                                                  many thin layers of secret sauce applied to films - all invented by PhD's locked in labs from dawn 'til dusk.

Comment

• benthe8track
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Feb 2008
                                                                                    • 371

Another "lost" weekend, I'd guess I have to say- the newlyweds have found out that the mice at the Channel Islands DID test positive for Hanta-virus, they had a blood test started at Stanford, and now GF's niece is working up a couple of more visits for consultation if possible- the results of their blood test won't be available until the end of the week, and unfortunately, while it can confirm a positive, due to the incubation time issues, a negative this early is not definitive - follow up testing would be indicated for safety.

GF will be leaving on a week long fund raiser hiking/camping trip on Tuesday, I'm not sure about how long the kids will be around this week- I may have a quiet long Labor Day weekend coming up- cross fingers! To try to ease my commuting issues, I also broke out the cop bike (ST1300) and got the registration up to spec this AM. Have an iffy week coming up, supposed to be doing a two day seminar at my normal work office starting tomorrow, but the customer has other ideas.... even though the guy that's our interface doesn't actually have anything new for all of us today, and we should be wrapped up today- plus there will still be one guy from the team in Cupertino.

This, too, shall come to an end at some point...

Enjoy the last week of August, folks!
                                                                                    Well hopefully things work out for them, that sounds like a crappy way to spend your honeymoon (Hanta-virus not staying with you).

Originally posted by Hank
                                                                                    many thin layers of secret sauce applied to films - all invented by PhD's locked in labs from dawn 'til dusk.
                                                                                    Those crazy PhDs can come up with some interesting stuff given enough time and caffeine! I wonder how that works though with no air gap.

Comment

• benthe8track
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Feb 2008
                                                                                      • 371

Just thinking long term here but an Ardent LCR wouldn't be a bad idea down the road. Dar47 has one in a more conventional box right now but I've never liked the gigantic centre DIY centre channels.

Name:	Avalon_Time_Image1.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	934494

I thought of just buying one then I realized they are 15k for one speaker..
                                                                                      Last edited by theSven; 01 May 2023, 14:47 Monday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Hank
                                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                                        • Jul 2002
                                                                                        • 1345

It works. :W

Comment

• dar47
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Nov 2008
                                                                                          • 876

Just thinking long term here but an Ardent LCR wouldn't be a bad idea down the road. Dar47 has one in a more conventional box right now but I've never liked the gigantic centre DIY centre channels.

I thought of just buying one then I realized they are 15k for one speaker..
                                                                                          ,
                                                                                          Ben, you know big center's produce clear dialog and lots of dynamics especially when the bullets are flying in action movies. :lol: That SLP in your face thing.

My center can be put in a smaller box and you could put fancy facets on the fronts to match. Just let me know, Dad will even make the box for you. :W
                                                                                          Last edited by theSven; 01 May 2023, 14:48 Monday. Reason: Remove image link

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                            Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                            • Aug 2000
                                                                                            • 15311

Nice looking speaker, but $15K is a lot of moolah!

I have an extra C79, and have been threatening to build a center three way around it some day- would be great if I could make it a parts box project, but not sure how I would approach that- it might end up a bit weird! (based on what's in my parts box... for example, dual w22's for the woofers (don't need lots of low end extension for a center, but do what low distortion; I have some Millennium Excel tweeters around too, that could be pressed into service. Seems, though, like I really should just repackage the completed Wavecor design into a center style box- could even use one of my 71000 SS tweeters or a Transducer labs N26C. Have to give that some thought once we see how things settle out this fall....
                                                                                            the AudioWorx
                                                                                            Natalie P
                                                                                            M8ta
                                                                                            Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                            Modula MT XE
                                                                                            Modula Xtreme
                                                                                            Isiris
                                                                                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                            Minerva Monitor
                                                                                            Calliope
                                                                                            Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                            Obi-Wan
                                                                                            Modula PWB
                                                                                            Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                            Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                            Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"