My Statements Build (How to... hopefully)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • deewan
    • Feb 2009

Dry run tonight to make sure the crossovers still worked before I finished stuffing the insulation into the cabinets. All drivers fired up. I sat the drivers into the cutout so I could actually hear some bass and was pretty pleased with the sound. Of course it will be nothing when compared to a sealed and insulate cabinet. Not to mention the tweeter and midrange was firing straight up at the ceiling of the garage. It was still really nice to hear sounds coming out of something I have put so much time into.

Image not available​​​

Tweeter and midrange

Image not available​​​

Woofer

Image not available​​​
    Last edited by theSven; 13 August 2023, 12:22 Sunday. Reason: Remove broken image links
    The Old Woods Theater
    My Various Speaker Builds
    Statement II Remix build

"Aren't you a little short for a Stormtrooper?"

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by deewan
      It was still really nice to hear sounds coming out of something I have put so much time into.

Isn't that the truth!! Congratulations- looks like you're in the end of the home stretch!!
      the AudioWorx
      Natalie P
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• deewan
        • Feb 2009

Strong stuff

For some reason every time I think about this can or see it, the scen from Blue Brothers pops into my head. The scene where Jake sneaks into "The Good Ole Boy's" RV and sprays glue under the pedal.

THIS IS GLUE... STRONG STUFF

Image not available​​​

I got a lot done tonight. All the crossovers are in the second cabinet and they all tested fine. The front baffle was added to the second cabinet and the base was added to the first tower.

Image not available​​​

Image not available​​​

Now all the drivers are downstairs so they are not damaged in the move. I've got two strong friends coming to help carry these beasts into my theater tomorrow night. Then it's music time!!!! 8)

Image not available​​​
        Last edited by theSven; 13 August 2023, 12:22 Sunday. Reason: Remove broken image links
        The Old Woods Theater
        Statement II Remix build

Comment

• john trials
          • Mar 2009

I thought you were going to say "Did you get me my Cheez Whiz?"

Your Statements are looking really nice! I really gotta get started on mine!
          Statements: "They usually kill the desire to build anything else."

Comment

• Ray Collins
            • Mar 2006

They look great; I know you will enjoy them!!

Ray
            Wine is constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy.
            BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

Comment

• deewan
              • Feb 2009

Thanks for the kind words. Again, thanks to Curt, Jim, and Wayne for doing all the hard work to put plans together and sharing them with all of us. AND to builder's before me who helped supply building and design ideas.

I am interested to hear how they sound after being broken in. I might post ma review but I prolly listen to different genre's of music then most people on this forum so I am not sure it would do much good. Nothing really strange, just I've never seen a review of The Statements using M-PACT!, Drink Small Quintet, or The MadHatters for audio.
              The Old Woods Theater
              Statement II Remix build

Comment

• deewan
                • Feb 2009

Nobody was hurt during the moving of the speakers. Though it was a tight fit going down the stairs and around the corner. The speakers are currently being broken in. so after they play all night and then some more tomorrow I'll do a full listening test of my fav music. Here are some finsihed photos.

Image not available​​​

Image not available​​​

Compared to my Paradigm Monitor 7's. It almost doesn't seem fair to compare the two.

Image not available​​​
                Last edited by theSven; 13 August 2023, 12:23 Sunday. Reason: Remove broken image links
                The Old Woods Theater
                Statement II Remix build

Comment

• john trials
                  • Mar 2009

Wow...nice big screen in your HT. That must be sweet! Funny, I was thinking about getting some Paradigm Monitor 7s a while back. They do look kind of small and wimpy next to your Statements.
                  Statements: "They usually kill the desire to build anything else."

Comment

• FroDaddy
                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by deewan
                    Image not available​​​
                    Those bases look familiar Does the light colored sides from the speakers cause any wash out on the projector screen?
                    Last edited by theSven; 13 August 2023, 12:23 Sunday. Reason: Update quote

Comment

• deewan
                      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by john trails
                      Wow...nice big screen in your HT. That must be sweet! Funny, I was thinking about getting some Paradigm Monitor 7s a while back. They do look kind of small and wimpy next to your Statements.
                      I really enjoy my screen. It is a 16:9 screen that measures just over 100 inches with a DIY 2.35:1 masking system built into the frame. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1090889 The Paradigm Monitor 7's are quite a bit smaller than the Statements, but I'm not sure many commercial tower speakers would not appear small in the shadows of The Statements. For the money though, I still think the Paradigms are the best bang for the buck commerical speaker. But now that I have found this great hobby of building speakers, I think the stereo shop can take my credit card number off their books.

Originally posted by FroDaddy
                      Those bases look familiar Does the light colored sides from the speakers cause any wash out on the projector screen?
                      You know it. I told you I was going to steal part of your design. :T

The lighter colored veneer did not cause any washout on my screen that I noticed. The black baffles completely disappeared while watching the video and I was able to see the insides of the cabinets, but it was not distracting. Also, these speakers were built for my next theater room, so they are a little overwhelming next to the current screen. The next room will be 4 feet wider and 5 feet deeper allowing for pefect placement of The Statements and my first row of seating. I basically redesigned the entire room layout to allow the Statements to be my speaker.
                      The Old Woods Theater
                      Statement II Remix build

Comment

• deewan
                        • Feb 2009

Listening Review

Let me state some things up front so people take this review with a grain of salt. First, I realize I do not have audiophile grade components. I did my listening of The Statements using a Denon AVR-2807 and a Marantz CD5003 CD Player. I don't spend more on my interconnects than I did to attend college. I also doubt these speakers are fully broken in yet since they have only 12 hours or so into them.

My source material. As stated before I listen to a lot of different music. For this listening session I used Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds, Beethoven, The Madhatter (a cappella group), Michael Jackson, John Mayer Trio, ARC Choir (a cappella gospel choir), Journey, Drink Small, and Kendra Shank with the Larry Willis Quartet.

The Mad Hatters - Insomniac
                        I have heard this group perform live in several different venues and have played their CD many many times using my Paradigm Monitor 7's. On most other systems there is a part of this song where there are some really low bass sounds. I'm guessing from poor recording or a ground loop in the mic. The sound only last for about 5 seconds. The track started great, every voice of this 16 male voice group was crystal clear, then from nowhere a low low bass note began playing. To low for any human voice and 30 seconds before the ground loop noise I mentioned earlier. I had never been able to hear it before, but the Statements are good enough that I not only hear it, it basically ruins the song. To confirm I was a recorded sound, I tried a different playback machine and a different amp (a vintage Marantz), the note still played in the same spot. :E So it looks like the Statements are good enough, I have to keep a pair of lesser speakers around to enjoy some of my favorite songs by this group since the noise appeared in other tracks I had also not heard before. I think this is a good problem to have...

ARC Choir - Walk with Me
                        Thirty-two voices strong and every one of them is heard with the Statements. Coming from a singing background in college, I think I have an ear for human voices and music. This recording shines when played through the Statements. First time in a long time I have almost felt an emotion through recorded music. Amazing detail in the recording. There were points in the song I heard the director snap his fingers or someone shift their weight, which I had never heard before. Soloist are clear as day and not drowned out by the choir. The female soloist is amazing. Most life-like female voice recording I have heard.

Kendra Shank and the Larry Willis Quartet - Paris Bossa
                        The female voice came through powerful and clear. I expected some noted to become harsh at higher volumes as I had experienced with other speakers, but the Statements stayed smooth. All the instruments on the track sound very life-like, but they do sound “amplified”. Right now I am blaming my lower quality gear on this sound and hoping a nice external amp with make the band sound pure and real. With a less "amplified" sound.

Drink Smalls - Stormy Monday Blues
                        I always use this track when I want to hear a true electric guitar. The Statements shine here once again. A very dynamic sound. At first I thought they sounded a little bright and maybe over dynamic. Maybe in need of some EQ. But then I realized if I was sitting in a blues club watch Small's perform, this is EXACTELY how it would sound. A+

Beethoven's - Wellington's Victory, Op91
                        Cymbals are amazing. I MEAN AMAZING. Trumpets and the other horns shine with a brilliant color and tone. During the “battle” with the real cannon and musket fire, even though I knew it was coming, it still made me jump. Even without a sub, the Statements played the cannons with authority and impact. The Statements played the cannon fire better than my dual 10” Paradigm subs.

On the tracks from Michael Jackson (Man in the Mirror), Dave Matthews (Out of my Hands, Cornbeard, and Oh), Journey, and OAR (On Top The Cage).. Everything sounded great. The bass is tight and strong. Surprisingly strong but never over powering. A few tracks from Dave Matthews which have caused distortion on my Paradigm and a friends pair of Zaph's BAMTM's played loud and clear with the Statements.

All in all, I can say without a doubt these speakers are prolly the best pair of speakers I have heard which would not cause me to take out a second mortgage. Also, they are VERY well suited to play both 2 channel music and function in a HT setup. Now I’m chomping at the bit to build a center channel and find some surrounds.

Thanks again to Jim, Curt, and Wayne for making these designs available. And thanks to everyone who helped with questions I had during the build. I hope to finish my “How to” instructions within a week or so and will post it here in the thread so others can download if they are interested.
                        The Old Woods Theater
                        Statement II Remix build

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Mar 2005

Perfect! :T

Jim

Comment

• deewan
                            • Feb 2009

I wanted to add. last night I watched my two fav scenes of The Dark Knight (opening scene and the scene when Batman saves Harvey and captures the Joker). I bypassed my two subs all together and ran The Statements full range. There was such a tiny drop-off between having my Paradigm Monitor 7's and the two Paradigm subs playing to just having my Statement's playing I have decided I no longer need two subwoofers. The bass output was amazing. I am not saying a sub is no longer needed, but at least two subs are no longer needed.
                            The Old Woods Theater
                            Statement II Remix build

Comment

• jyqureshi
                              • Mar 2009

Hey Deewan, congratulations for completing your speakers.

I had a question, in the Statement's PDF file, the outer diameter is 8 3/4 and 4 15/16 for RS and W4 drivers respectively, my baffles are almost complete but both these drivers almost fit in but not quite and I checked a few times to make sure that the recess diameter is according to the plan.

Did you get into this problem?
                              Thanks

Comment

• deewan
                                • Feb 2009

jyqureshi - yes, I had the same problem. I thought for a moment it might have been because I used a 1/2" bit with my Jasper Jig and took 1/4" off the Jasper Jig pivot hole, but after switching to a 1/4" bit I had the same issue. I ended up just increasing the diameter 1/16" of an inch on the Jasper Jig and the drivers fit fine.

I also used 1/4" depth on the tweeter, which I found would be too much, but I used speaker foam lining behind all the drivers so the depth was good. If you are not using a liner, I would go just under 1/4".
                                The Old Woods Theater
                                Statement II Remix build

Comment

• jyqureshi
                                  • Mar 2009

I will be using a liner, now the problem is the holes are cut as well and I don't know how I will make the recess holes bigger:banghead: and I am sooooooo close to putting everything together.

Comment

• deewan
                                    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by jyqureshi
                                    I will be using a liner, now the problem is the holes are cut as well and I don't know how I will make the recess holes bigger:banghead: and I am sooooooo close to putting everything together.
                                    Check your thread. If you have questions about how I did it, feel free to send a PM. I would be willing to call you to and explain it more if you need me to
                                    The Old Woods Theater
                                    Statement II Remix build

Comment

• jyqureshi
                                      • Mar 2009

What's the length and width of each of your Statement's base?

Comment

• deewan
                                        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by jyqureshi
                                        What's the length and width of each of your Statement's base?
                                        The bottom base plates are 21 1/2 inches deep and 14 1/2 inches wide. I then chopped off a 45 degree angle from each of the front two corners 2 inches back from the corner.
                                        The Old Woods Theater
                                        Statement II Remix build

Comment

• deewan
                                          • Feb 2009

Wow, it's been a year already since I first started building the Statements. And I still don't have the word doc finished with the step by step directions I took in the build. But I do have a good start on the document so I thought I would post it in case anyone could benefit from it. The most detail to this point is given during the cut and assembly process.

PLEASE REMEMBER THIS IS NOT A COMPLETED OR FINISHED DOCUMENT YET! And as my document states, “Improper use of any power tool may cause serious or fatal injury! blah..blah..blah..laser level… DANGER..dust..chemicals known to the State of California to Cause Cancer..blah..blah..blah the size of these speakers are not approved by 3 out of 4 wives. The author is not responsible for anything! USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!”

The document can be downloaded from my site. Here is the link:
                                          FILE NO LONGER POSTED ONLINE. If you want it, please PM me.
                                          Last edited by deewan; 22 March 2015, 11:09 Sunday.
                                          The Old Woods Theater
                                          Statement II Remix build

Comment

• 1Michael
                                            • Sep 2006

Is there something wrong with that file?
                                            Michael
                                            Chesapeake Va.

Comment

• fordmaker
                                              • May 2009

Buggers,

It downloaded fine for me. It is a 15 page document that is about a 25Mb download.

Matthew

Comment

• cobblepots
                                                • May 2008

When are you building the rest of the set??

I built the Statement monitor's for my surrounds and the Statement center. While some would say they're over kill they truely make action movies come alive when the sound levels are even accross the entire panoramic range.

Comment

• deewan
                                                  • Feb 2009

Originally posted by buggers
                                                  The file seems fine on my end and I was able to download and open it at work without issue.

Originally posted by cobblepots
                                                  When are you building the rest of the set?
                                                  Because of future plans I was not able to build the Statement CC, but instead built the 2RCC which uses the same drivers but a crossover that was modified by Jed (from CLD) for a sealed enclosure. I'll likely have the same issue of not having enough space behind the cabinet with the surround speakers in my theater that I will have to go another route or have Jed design something for me.
                                                  The Old Woods Theater
                                                  Statement II Remix build

Comment

• HDPC
                                                    • Nov 2013

Hi,

Anyone have the document handy? Can't access the link, it's Forbidden.

Thanks,
                                                    HDPC

Comment

• kevinm
                                                      • Jun 2013

I'd love to see this too if anyone has it.

Comment

• jus24112
                                                        • Aug 2011

Originally posted by kevinm
                                                        I'd love to see this too if anyone has it.
                                                        I also would love this doc as I am about to start my journey down this road, and it would help a lot..

Comment

• allsaints76
                                                          • Jan 2014

Im in the same boat as you guys I'd like to start this build and im sure this doc can be helpful

Comment

• kevinm
                                                            • Jun 2013

I'll document my build quite thoroughly just in case we don't get this document in time. Hopefully that will some of the future DIYers out!

Comment

• jus24112
                                                              • Aug 2011

I'll document my build quite thoroughly just in case we don't get this document in time. Hopefully that will some of the future DIYers out!
                                                              That would be awesome thanks a ton Have you completed your build?

Comment

• verderame
                                                                • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Curt C
                                                                Looks good :T
                                                                At these low tunings a quarter of an inch either way will make no audible, and likely an unmeasureable difference in the result.

C

Hi Curt, I've a question too about the size of the tube, the tube that I found ( I'm from italy ) has 3 1/4 inside diameter, how long it should be?
                                                                I started to build my full statement a couple of days ago and I hope to complete them soon! Can't wait to see how these speakers sound!

Comment

• verderame
                                                                  • Sep 2013

Hi kevin, did you already start to built yours speakers?

Comment

• kevinm
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Jun 2013

HI, I haven't started a documented word doc, but here is my build thread that should be good to get you started

Last edited by theSven; 01 May 2023, 19:09 Monday. Reason: Update htguide url

Comment

• dustinkirk
                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                      • Jan 2015

Awesome job! Any chance you could send me the original plans pdf? It's not available on the link you posted.
                                                                      If you pm me I'll give you my email, thanks!

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by dustinkirk
                                                                        Awesome job! Any chance you could send me the original plans pdf? It's not available on the link you posted.
                                                                        If you pm me I'll give you my email, thanks!
                                                                        Hi Dustin,

I got your PM but I'll post here for others that have trouble finding the Statements build plans;

Notice pricing has increased for all the designs in this section of the forum. People should use the BOM's and check with suppliers for current prices The Statements are a ported W-M/T/M-W design based on Dayton RS225 woofers, Tangband W4-1337S Titanium mids and a Fountek NeoCD3.0 ribbon tweeter. The mids are an open backed

This should have everything you need. Meniscus has complete kits (less cabinets) that make ordering super simple.

HTH

Jim

Comment

• bostonmurf
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Jul 2014

Hi Dustin, heres my thread too - theres a lot of questions/answers in there to help you on your way.

I decided to take the plunge into the DIY speaker arena and after careful selection and reading many online forum reviews/builds and a few emails with Jim and Curt (thanks guys!) I chose to dive in head first and build the Statements. My overall plan is to create a 5.1 system to replace my current speakers - I'm new to home

I bought most of my parts from parts express individually but now after the build was finished i can say it would have been cheaper to go the meniscus audio route as suggested by Jim. if its your first delve into crossovers and soldering i can highly recommend letting meniscus assemble them for you. its works out about $55 extra per speaker. i build my own crossovers now but it was nice to see completed versions for reference, plus its a stage you don't have to worry about.
                                                                          good luck and welcome to the statement club!

start a post with plenty of pics, we love pics!!!!

one last thing, do the plans have the 4-5 inch back cutout included for the base port Jim? if not just follow my thread, its included in there.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                                            • Mar 2005
                                                                            • 3223

Originally posted by bostonmurf
                                                                            Hi Dustin, heres my thread too - theres a lot of questions/answers in there to help you on your way.

I decided to take the plunge into the DIY speaker arena and after careful selection and reading many online forum reviews/builds and a few emails with Jim and Curt (thanks guys!) I chose to dive in head first and build the Statements. My overall plan is to create a 5.1 system to replace my current speakers - I'm new to home

I bought most of my parts from parts express individually but now after the build was finished i can say it would have been cheaper to go the meniscus audio route as suggested by Jim. if its your first delve into crossovers and soldering i can highly recommend letting meniscus assemble them for you. its works out about $55 extra per speaker. i build my own crossovers now but it was nice to see completed versions for reference, plus its a stage you don't have to worry about.
                                                                            good luck and welcome to the statement club!

start a post with plenty of pics, we love pics!!!!

one last thing, do the plans have the 4-5 inch back cutout included for the base port Jim? if not just follow my thread, its included in there.
                                                                            Good catch! I don't think the base cutout is included in the Statements plans but should be done to ensure an extra margin of safety for the port to breathe.

Thanks for bringing this up!

Jim
                                                                            Last edited by theSven; 01 May 2023, 19:10 Monday. Reason: Update htguide url

Comment

Working...
                                                                            😀
                                                                            😂
                                                                            🥰
                                                                            😘
                                                                            🤢
                                                                            😎
                                                                            😞
                                                                            😡
                                                                            👍
                                                                            👎
                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                            Search Result for "|||"