X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BigguyZ
    • Jan 2009

Originally posted by djn04
    No it's the opposite. I want to fill the holes were the threaded inserts are. If I fill them with bondo will I be able to redrill the holes a fraction if an inch from where they are and reinsert the threaded inserts?
    Thanks
    If you're re-drilling, I'd recommend the dowel/ plug approach.

Comment

• djn04
      • Dec 2008

So I finally got around to finishing these. I had to scrap the curved front baffle idea because I couldn't get everything to line up and lay flat. In the end I just ordered a pair of the pre cut baffles from Madisound. Anyway on to the pics

Click image for larger version

Name:	4022006271_1e19fccde2_o.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	946560

Name:	4022766440_018837b096_o.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	190.7 KB
ID:	946561*

Name:	4022007353_cfd684a48f_o.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	946562

One small issue. One of the tweeter cutouts had too much paint build up and the clear cracked when I screwed the tweeter in. I need to figure out how to deal with this???? I almost don't want to post this picture because it ruins an otherwise beautiful post

Name:	4022767440_1406ac76cc_o.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	946563
      Last edited by theSven; 30 July 2023, 18:34 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• 69Stingray
        • Feb 2007

Awesome build!

Comment

• LING GOWA
          • Dec 2007

They look real nice. That looks like a lot of CNC time. What was the cutting cost?
          Website

Comment

• Curly Woods
            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by djn04
            It took 3 sheets of "Baltic" Birch. It is Russian birch but at a cheaper price than Baltic birch. It's better than the dragon birch stuff and better than a lot of the real Baltic birch I saw. The only stuff I saw that looked better was apple wood ply. It's some sort of English wood or something but it was 130 a sheet. This stuff was less than half the price.

Appleply is made right here in the US. It is expensive, it is all hardwood plys, but the grades of each ply is virtually perfect vs Russian/Finnish birch ply. Pricey yes, but it is really good for appearance grade ply.

Great work on your project!
            Mike Mastin

Comment

• djn04
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by LING GOWA
              They look real nice. That looks like a lot of CNC time. What was the cutting cost?
              I don't remember exactly but most of it was in the curved baffles, which I ended up not using. The birch was easy to do though. Much easier than routing it myself too.

Comment

• Face
                • Mar 2007

Beautiful job!
                SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• djn04
                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Face
                  Beautiful job!
                  Thanks everyone. Does anyone have a suggestion for touching up the cracked clear? Maybe a paint maker?

Comment

• Biermann
                    • Aug 2009

Nice job on the speakers, that's cool that Steve was able to CNC the parts for you, he makes some nice hand planes as well.

Too bad about those cracks. It's pretty tough to blend a satin finish like that, especially without the original material it was shot with. Personally I would feather it, build it back up, block it out, and then shoot the whole panel, than rub it out to whatever sheen is desirable. However that is a lot of work, and it would be cheaper and more efficient to just buy another baffle hate to say.

Comment

• Hank
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jul 2002

But I think this would be way to costly for a speaker build.
                      You got it, Kid. If you had come to town for my fajita and poker party Friday night you could have seen my new Texas Ranger style holster tha came in from El Paso Saddlery, and you could have seen Mike's restoration of a Mouser rifle stock - he did beautiful work.

Comment

• Brian Kingsbury
                        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Biermann
                        Nice job on the speakers, that's cool that Steve was able to CNC the parts for you, he makes some nice hand planes as well.

Too bad about those cracks. It's pretty tough to blend a satin finish like that, especially without the original material it was shot with. Personally I would feather it, build it back up, block it out, and then shoot the whole panel, than rub it out to whatever sheen is desirable. However that is a lot of work, and it would be cheaper and more efficient to just buy another baffle hate to say.
                        I'm with Biermann. You could try really hard to patch that up and never quite get it right or just buy another baffle. You could probably talk them into some sort of a discount since the first one you puchased is obviously defective. :x
                        ;x( We're not worthy! ;x(

Comment

• Bear
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Dec 2008

Chapeau! :T (For the few cyclists in the crowd...)

Hat's off to you! (For the rest!)
                          Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.

Comment

• djn04
                            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Brian Kingsbury
                            I'm with Biermann. You could try really hard to patch that up and never quite get it right or just buy another baffle. You could probably talk them into some sort of a discount since the first one you puchased is obviously defective. :x
                            I would do that but the port has been bondo'ed and painted to blend into the baffle and it was a lot of work to get it to blend in. I guess it was so good that no one noticed :W

I'm gonna try to touch it up I think. You don't notice it unless the light hits it just right and you're looking for but of course I notice it.

Comment

• 1Michael
                              • Sep 2006

I would feather it out then spray a few coats of poly or whatever. No one will ever know... :T
                              Michael
                              Chesapeake Va.

Comment

• mgrabow
                                • Dec 2009

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

Comment

• SpeakerGuy
                                  • Mar 2010

I couldn't help but notice - a thread about speakers, yet no one even talks about the sound. 8O

I know the thread is a little old, but... It's probably better to wait a few months or more anyway, to ask someone's opinion about a speaker's sound. First impressions generally not being good compared to listening to speakers long enough to get to know the ins-and-outs in depth.

So, how do you like 'em?

Comment

• iampivot
                                    • Mar 2008

Am wondering what software you used when creating the digital model, and in what format do those with CNC machine expect to get their drawings in?

Comment

• NyxOne
                                      • Jan 2008

Originally posted by iampivot
                                      Am wondering what software you used when creating the digital model, and in what format do those with CNC machine expect to get their drawings in?
                                      - Google Sketchup Pro.
                                      - Autodesk 123D (free)
                                      - AutoCad Inventor
                                      - (and a lot more)

You need to provide DXF or DWG file (I use DXF). Someone will have to generate the gCode based on your drawing which will be used by the CNC router.

Edit : I need to add that not everything can be done on a 3 Axis CNC. My advice, try to make something simple before investing loads of time and money.

Here's a test piece I've made recently :

Name:	test_cnc_v2.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	946551

This is my second test and I still need to do a last one with all the pieces just to be sure they fit together. If your 3D model is not 100% perfect, your going to run into trouble...

Hope this helps,
                                      Chuck
                                      Last edited by theSven; 30 July 2023, 18:27 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"