X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • goskers
    • Jun 2004

GedLee, Nathan Build Thread

This post will be a partially complete build thread of the current Nathan kit for sale at www.gedlee.com. These kits are available for $700 per speaker. Included in this kit is virtually everything needed to finish the build minus internal wire, gasket material and whatever your desired finish is.
    My brief build history started around 12 years ago with a set of Lynn Olsen Ariel. From here I went to Ellis Audio 1801 then to the Linkwitz Orion to DIY designs using a DEQX unit and then back to a second set of Orion’s. Over the last two years I have been on a quest for the ultimate. I took some time to research some of the best audio systems in the US. Once I compiled a list of potentials I then made plans to visit these systems for a listen.
    Early on I had the Geddes designed Summa speakers on my list because of the research behind them. At this time I was still in college and could not afford the retail product. Am I ever glad that I made the trip to Detroit a little while ago to see if these speakers were as good as the documentation implied. Am I glad that I did as these are the best speakers that I have heard. Better yet is that these are affordable. The value that these kits provide is off of the chart in my opinion.
    There have been posts on different threads showing the early kits sold. The current offerings are well above these in completeness. The kit comes with easy to follow step by step instructions with accompanying pictures for the beginners needing a little extra direction. The kit supplies CNC cut cabinets with pocket holes for screws to hold everything together. The waveguide is now such that the mounting platform for the compression driver is one complete piece. The waveguide is very inert. I have not used any other waveguides for comparison but this is very well done.

This picture shows the front baffle, sides, top and bottom all glued up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture003.webp
Views:	242
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	941775

I added addition clamping just for overkill purposes but this is not necessary. The front and rear baffle are both constrained layer dampened. There is also internal bracing running from side to side and front to back. This bracing is not shown in my pics.
    This picture is of the inside showing the waveguide.

Name:	Picture004-1.webp
Views:	70
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	941776

Notice that the waveguide is now a one cast piece. The cabinet fit is actually very good considering all of the roundovers involved.
    This pic shows the rear baffle with CLD and crossover.

Name:	Picture005.webp
Views:	69
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	941777

I did not show much detail here as I don’t want any sort of proprietary information to be had.
    This picture shows the compression drivers and the work done.

Name:	Picture008.webp
Views:	67
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	941778

There is a screen material that needs to be cut out from the factory. Just use a sharp utility knife and follow the opening profile. This opening will be covered with the foam plug later on.
    The next picture shows the CD/WG adapter plate.

Name:	Picture013.webp
Views:	70
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	941779

This piece is plexiglass and is machined with the appropriate angle to match up to the WG throat. The kit comes with the gasket material which I cut in half and mounted to each plexiglass plate. Take your utility knife and follow the contour of the plexi plate. You can then mount the plexi plate to the compression driver and then to the back of the waveguide as shown.

Name:	Picture014-2.webp
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	941780

The rest of the system is completed how ever you want to finish the system. I decided to try a new route using truck bed liner. There are many different types of bed liners on the market which can be had for fairly inexpensive costs. These are epoxy paints with an aggregate additive. There were supposed to be great at filling imperfections. This being said I did not focus as much on the cabinet prep as I normally would. Let me tell you that you still should as you can still see imperfections just like a regular paint. Overall I would recommend this stuff as it is pretty easy to apply with a roller and cured hard as a rock because it’s an epoxy.
    Here are a couple pics of the system.

Name:	Picture017.webp
Views:	65
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	941781

Here is a pic of my system overall which shows the multiple subs as well as the Nathans. The next is a close-up of the front of one speaker.

Name:	Picture021.webp
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	941782

You can see the foam plug on the front which is held in place with some spray adhesive. Before this is adhered in place you need to take some modeling clay and carefully fill in any voids between the transition between the waveguide and compression driver. There was very little needed here but I am sure this is a critical step.
    I was a little nervous firing up the Nathan’s for the first time. I had been lucky enough to hear both the Summa’s and Nathan’s in Dr. Geddes HT room which is designed purely for audio. Having these in a ‘normal’ living room was going to be a new one. I can say that I am not disappointed in the least. Notice that my audio system is very downsized compared to where I have been. Geddes preaches value and has recommended a Pioneer receiver to me. Having met the man and being able to say that he is one of the smartest guys I have been able to talk with has kept me at ease with his recommendations as they are all based on science. Geddes is one of the utmost professionals in audio. Having the opportunity to get your hands on gear this good without paying a whole lot more is crazy.
    Read all that you can of his stuff and make an educated decision. I can really say that these do it all. If anyone is in the IL area and wants to audition them please send me an email.
    Last edited by theSven; 23 June 2023, 21:10 Friday. Reason: Update image location
  • DS-21
    • Jun 2005

Originally posted by goskers
    Here is a pic of my system overall which shows the multiple subs as well as the Nathans.
    Is that sub in the corner a Geddes-style bandpass? How is that working out for you?

Looks like a great system overall! There's another Nathan10 setup that's reasonably close to me (Savannah) and I'm looking forward to hearing it soon.

Comment

• goskers
      • Jun 2004

Yes, I have two of the BB (broadband) bandpass designs and one of the ULF (ultra low frequency) bandpass design. I am still working on getting my measurement system up and going so I can tune these properly but so far the sound is absolutely tremendous.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"