Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2006

That. Is. Huge.
    Javier Huerta

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Yeah, I think ET is going to get an inferiority complex about this vs. his "DeathStar" project- the "DeathStar" may weigh more, but it won't be "bigger". :W
      the AudioWorx
      Natalie P
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• chasw98
        Super Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

Jeez! You guys act like this is something new around here. Has no one ever seen a 4 way floor to ceiling Acoustat, RD75, Leaf Tweeter, IB rig before? Any of you?

Or one of these?

Click image for larger version

Name:	SingleBlackDipole.webp
Views:	95
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	936981
        Last edited by theSven; 21 May 2023, 10:54 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Bear
          Super Senior Member
          • Dec 2008

More Peerless 6.5" woofers are on buyout at PE, though not in the HDS line with the truncated frames. $27.66 again in 4+ quantities:

Anyone have any thoughts on how these will compare? Is this just the 830875, but with a "full" faceplate?
          Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

It looks like it, but it is a "funny" part number, having trouble crossing it elsewhere, including Peerless site and Madisound. Does claim to have shorting rings, so HD should be decent.
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Obi-Wan
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• kingpin
              • Jun 2006

Originally posted by chasw98
              Jeez! You guys act like this is something new around here. Has no one ever seen a 4 way floor to ceiling Acoustat, RD75, Leaf Tweeter, IB rig before? Any of you?

Or one of these?

Click image for larger version  Name:	SingleBlackDipole.webp Views:	0 Size:	14.8 KB ID:	936981

Hmm. I've seen, built, heard, enjoyed and then sold something a wee bit larger than that. LOL

Ahh! Good Times.

Looks good chuck.

Mike
              Last edited by theSven; 21 May 2023, 10:55 Sunday. Reason: Update quote
              Call me "MIKE"
              "PROJECT OVERKILL" :B:B -WWMTMSS- :B:B
              "PROJECT OVERKILL" is now the :B:B "mini-me's" :B:B
              CLICK HERE TO SEE PROJECT OVERKILL
              CLICK HERE TO SEE ALL MY BUILD PICS
              "PROJECT OVERKILL" IS GOING UNDER THE KNIFE. :B :B "mini-me's :B :B !!
              Dual sealed 18" Mach-5 ixl 18.4 subs

Comment

• chasw98
                Super Senior Member
                • Jan 2006

Here is the weekend update. I got all of the routing done on the laminated MDF body and came up with the beginnings of a method to make this guy stand up straight. Lots of pictures.

I have not used more than 2 screws per woofer, I haven't put the aluminum bars in to stiffen the panel up yet, I haven't done a roundover on the backs of the woofers, and most of all, I didn't put the scallops in yet (Jon)!

But what I gained from this almost complete mock up was the ability to hear 2 of these behemoths in the room in stereo! Put you hearts at ease. The imaging and soundstaging is great. Off axis response is quite good. Now all of this is done with my poor old ears so take that into account because I have not taken any measurements at all. Just listened to them. So far, it seems, they can only get better.

Name:	P1000769.webp
Views:	109
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	936982

Note the spacing between the woofers. Krutke would be proud!

Name:	P1000770.webp
Views:	102
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	936983

Closeup of the Neo's.

Name:	P1000771.webp
Views:	110
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	936984

Name:	P1000772.webp
Views:	108
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	936985

Name:	P1000773.webp
Views:	108
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	936986

Name:	P1000774.webp
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	936987

Yes, that is a 40 pound steel plate laying there.

Name:	P1000776.webp
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	936988

Name:	P1000777.webp
Views:	105
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	936989

Name:	P1000778.webp
Views:	106
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	936990
                Last edited by theSven; 21 May 2023, 10:58 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• ---k---
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Nov 2005

Impressive. :T

One questions I have for you about line arrays. Some of this is theoretician. Sorry, I haven't read Griffin's paper yet, but I'm making my way through Toole's book, and he says quite a few positive things able line array's. But, one point he has made a few times is that the line of drivers HAVE to be from floor to ceiling, or it doesn't form a cylindrical wave front. (I guess some power tapering or curving the baffle will also work for shorter line array's) You're basically there with the woofers. Is that good enough? Should the mids and tweeters floor to ceiling also for theoretic perfection?
                  - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                  CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                  CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• chasw98
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by ---k---
                    Impressive. :T

One questions I have for you about line arrays. Some of this is theoretician. Sorry, I haven't read Griffin's paper yet, but I'm making my way through Toole's book, and he says quite a few positive things able line array's. But, one point he has made a few times is that the line of drivers HAVE to be from floor to ceiling, or it doesn't form a cylindrical wave front. (I guess some power tapering or curving the baffle will also work for shorter line array's) You're basically there with the woofers. Is that good enough? Should the mids and tweeters floor to ceiling also for theoretic perfection?
                    Ryan:
                    Let me state that I am approximately one page ahead of you in line array theory (OK, maybe 2 pages ) Everything I have read states that for a line array to work on paper, yes, it should be floor to ceiling. In real life it almost never happens, even with 3 mile long sounding arrays in oceanic science. And in high frequency antenna arrays that do not reach the sun? Then you get into what are known as truncated line arrays and that is a whole other study in itself. You are right that it all concerns what happens to any factor at the ends of the array. Any factor could be phase shifting, frequency response, off axis response, cylindrical wavefront forming, etc. You get the picture. From what I have read and what I have heard in my testing is that unless Shaquille O'neal or some other close to 8 foot tall person comes to visit me, they will not lose any of the good part of an array. The floor to ceiling 'sweet spot' appears to be from approx 2 feet off the floor to above 6 feet off the floor. I haven't climbed on a ladder or laid on the floor yet but all my listening and measuring at diffferent heights bear that out so far. The left to right window between those heights appears to be quite adequate also, maybe 6 to 8 feet wide as a rough guess. In the end I should have a 5 foot tall by 8 foot wide listening 'stike zone' that will have even response and power for a depth of 6 to 10 feet starting about 6 feet away from the speakers. HTH.

Comment

• ThomasW
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

he has made a few times is that the line of drivers HAVE to be from floor to ceiling, or it doesn't form a cylindrical wave front. (I guess some power tapering or curving the baffle will also work for shorter line array's) You're basically there with the woofers. Is that good enough? Should the mids and tweeters floor to ceiling also for theoretic perfection?
                      It's important for the low frequency drivers to be floor to ceiling. The idea is to have symmetrical boundary loading for the top and bottom woofers.

Floor to ceiling mids and tweets would be ideal, but there's a decreasing performance benefit for the amount of $$$$ invested. So we're happy to compromise and use what you see Chuck building..

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• ---k---
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Nov 2005

There is always a difference between theory and practice. Sort of the answers I was expecting. :T One of these days, I'm going to have to find an excuse to make a trip to Miami.
                        - Ryan

Comment

• chasw98
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Jan 2006

One of these days, I'm going to have to find an excuse to make a trip to Miami.
                          Just get close. I will come and get you!

Comment

• ---k---
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Nov 2005

I've made 4 trips to Tampa this year for work. Is that close enough. It's Florida.
                            - Ryan

Comment

• Hank
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Jul 2002

I've got a ~20 foot high cathedral ceiling, so no way am I going to build a floor-to-ceiling line array. All the more reason to stick to RD50 and ~10 mid-woofs per speaker.

Comment

• Amphiprion
                                • Apr 2006

All those pro sound setups that use line arrays outdoors should probably be told they're not doing it right

Comment

• cjd
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Dec 2004

No kidding. Maybe if they used quality systems we'd not have people craving harsh hashy systems with no dynamic range or resolution, just loud....
                                  diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                    Mad Max Moderator
                                    • Aug 2000

JBL has well documented the effects of line length on frequency response and frequency response versus distance from the line.

Useful in Pro sound.... even "short" flying lines.

I really have to wonder at all the interest in Pro Sound oriented systems for the home- waveguides, high efficiency woofers, compression drivers- etc. I don't need 115 dB in the home, and don't like the short comings of those kinds of systems. They have far too much of a signature to pull any kind of disappearing act with music.

If I was King or Emperor, I would have EVERY budding speaker designer and 98% of the so called speaker designers exhibiting at CES to spend a week listening to a pair of Orions with decent recordings before they're allowed to make sawdust or even paper plans again. At least, there's a small chance they'll remember what some notion of neutrality and low coloration sounds like.
                                    the AudioWorx
                                    Natalie P
                                    M8ta
                                    Modula Neo DCC
                                    Modula MT XE
                                    Modula Xtreme
                                    Isiris
                                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                    Minerva Monitor
                                    Calliope
                                    Ardent D

In Development...
                                    Obi-Wan
                                    Modula PWB
                                    Calliope CC Supreme
                                    Natalie P Ultra
                                    Natalie P Supreme
                                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Dennis H
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Aug 2002

I really have to wonder at all the interest in Pro Sound oriented systems for the home- waveguides, high efficiency woofers, compression drivers- etc. I don't need 115 dB in the home, and don't like the short comings of those kinds of systems. They have far too much of a signature to pull any kind of disappearing act with music.

If I was King or Emperor, I would have EVERY budding speaker designer and 98% of the so called speaker designers exhibiting at CES to spend a week listening to a pair of Orions with decent recordings before they're allowed to make sawdust or even paper plans again. At least, there's a small chance they'll remember what some notion of neutrality and low coloration sounds like.
                                      Ouch!

FWIW, at least one person sold his Orions after he built a Geddes kit. I don't think there's universal agreement that pro drivers and waveguides necessarily have to equal bad sound. That said, I've heard Orions and loved 'em but I haven't heard a Geddes kit.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Dennis H
                                        That said, I've heard Orions and loved 'em but I haven't heard a Geddes kit.
                                        I've heard both. From a distance (the hallway at the RMAF) the Summas sounded like very high quality PA speakers. It was impossible to do a serious listen because Earl was flogging them (as he is want to do) and I wasn't in the mood for permanent hearing damage.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• cjd
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • Dec 2004

There is a line most of these folks wander well beyond - it's about finding a particular flavor that they like (for whatever reason) - if that means the warm tickle of blood seeping from the ears, they're welcome to listen to pro systems at 110dB.

Lack of coloration is often NOT the intent.

These days it seems like some "music" only needs to reproduce 50Hz. They'd have it made in Europe - no amp needed, just feed line voltage to the system!

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • May 2007

Originally posted by Amphiprion
                                            All those pro sound setups that use line arrays outdoors should probably be told they're not doing it right
                                            I just thought Mark was saying that to build a line array from floor to ceiling outdoors would one looonnngggg line array. Not touting the wonders of most pro speakers.

Our main speakers, the Nelson/Reed 804B, use high sensitivity pro drivers. They were designed to used as a recording monitors. And they have a very natural and uncolored sound. Probably not the last word in resolution, but I don't feel I'm missing anything.

I've always really liked Sound Lab Loudspeakers. That's one reason I'm building this line array with the RD50. I think a dipole line array would work well in our room. The ceiling is fairly low with the wood cross beams exposed, and is kind of dead sounding. More drivers with more radiating area might make it more open sounding?

Actually, I'm a bit worried. I've got our main speakers sounding really good since I took them off their stands and positioned better. What if my dad likes the old speakers better? 8O I've heard the RD50 does have gorgeous midrange, so I hope I can do this right and get some neutral and open sounding speakers.
                                            John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                              Mad Max Moderator
                                              • Aug 2000

If a line array is built floor to ceiling, then the woofer array is "mirrored" by the floor and ceiling and the acoustic throw behaves accordingly. Otherwise, what happens is that at some LF point the system no longer follows the 3 db drop off with distance doubling, but goes to 6 dB in the lower frequencies.

Listening to a Griffin LA clone in MarkK's large family room high lighted that kind of behavior; at a distance, they became "shouty" because the bass fell off in level but the midrange didn't.
                                              the AudioWorx
                                              Natalie P
                                              M8ta
                                              Modula Neo DCC
                                              Modula MT XE
                                              Modula Xtreme
                                              Isiris
                                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                              Minerva Monitor
                                              Calliope
                                              Ardent D

In Development...
                                              Obi-Wan
                                              Modula PWB
                                              Calliope CC Supreme
                                              Natalie P Ultra
                                              Natalie P Supreme
                                              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                Mad Max Moderator
                                                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Johnloudb
                                                I just thought Mark was saying that to build a line array from floor to ceiling outdoors would one looonnngggg line array. Not touting the wonders of most pro speakers.

Our main speakers, the Nelson/Reed 804B, use high sensitivity pro drivers. They were designed to used as a recording monitors. And they have a very natural and uncolored sound. Probably not the last word in resolution, but I don't feel I'm missing anything.

I've always really liked Sound Lab Loudspeakers. That's one reason I'm building this line array with the RD50. I think a dipole line array would work well in our room. The ceiling is fairly low with the wood cross beams exposed, and is kind of dead sounding. More drivers with more radiating area might make it more open sounding?

Actually, I'm a bit worried. I've got our main speakers sounding really good since I took them off their stands and positioned better. What if my dad likes the old speakers better? 8O I've heard the RD50 does have gorgeous midrange, so I hope I can do this right and get some neutral and open sounding speakers.

Compared to many other solutions, the RD50/RD76 set have far lower linear distortion in the midrange (500 Hz to 3 kHz) than most cone type drivers; less energy storage and hangover (think shaped sine testing like SL and Mark K do) and more resolution. Other drivers work well in this regard, too, such as domes like the RS52, or very small cones (W4-1337, RS100-4). So there is good potential for combining a pleasing tonal balance and high resolution.
                                                the AudioWorx
                                                Natalie P
                                                M8ta
                                                Modula Neo DCC
                                                Modula MT XE
                                                Modula Xtreme
                                                Isiris
                                                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                Minerva Monitor
                                                Calliope
                                                Ardent D

In Development...
                                                Obi-Wan
                                                Modula PWB
                                                Calliope CC Supreme
                                                Natalie P Ultra
                                                Natalie P Supreme
                                                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • May 2007

Good to hear that and I see what you mean. We have our speakers positioned along the long wall and can't sit more than 10 - 12 feet from the speakers, with them positioned 2.0-3.0ft from the back wall. Hopefully this will work well, or I might be selling drivers in by the end of summer. Probably work out great, just me worrying.
                                                  John unk:

Comment

• ---k---
                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by ThomasW
                                                    It was impossible to do a serious listen because Earl was flogging them (as he is want to do) and I wasn't in the mood for permanent hearing damage.
                                                    He isn't alone in this. I've been to DIY meets where Tom from SVS was demoing their new at the time SVS-1 speaker and another meet where Jeff from JTR Speakers was demoing his Triple 8 speakers. Both tended to turn them up to '11' to show off any chance they could get. The Triple 8s and a sub had the dinning room lights flickering. Chased me from the room. The saddest thing to me was that at reasonable volumes, they were decent speakers for the price, but at the demo levels, they were sounding pretty ragged. Maybe normal people (and the seller) don't notice this?

I'm not sure I've ever turned my Khans up to those levels. I'm going to have to tr it sometime and see how they sound...

BTW, is there a topic to this thread?
                                                    - Ryan

Comment

• cjd
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • Dec 2004

Get earplugs out and listen for popping from the tweeters. I doubt you'll push anything else in the system to the limits before your amp runs out of steam. At least not the Khans.

C

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                        Mad Max Moderator
                                                        • Aug 2000

Hello? Hello? Anybody home? Kind a quiet around here all of a sudden... :W
                                                        the AudioWorx
                                                        Natalie P
                                                        M8ta
                                                        Modula Neo DCC
                                                        Modula MT XE
                                                        Modula Xtreme
                                                        Isiris
                                                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                        Minerva Monitor
                                                        Calliope
                                                        Ardent D

In Development...
                                                        Obi-Wan
                                                        Modula PWB
                                                        Calliope CC Supreme
                                                        Natalie P Ultra
                                                        Natalie P Supreme
                                                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• chasw98
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Jan 2006

Don't worry, just recouping from an influx of parts and electronics (amplifiers, inductors, bassis unit, etc.). I took all the test units apart, packed away the drivers, cleaned up the work area, and disassembled the one good one so that I can start building the second one to match it. Just a short lull. You know how when you have done something once for the first time, you say to yourself "If I do that again, I would do it this way" now that you have done it and experienced the little pitfalls inherent in doing something like this. Well, I am refining my technique and am having a hard time finding 1/4" hardboard (masonite to you old timers). Have to check out a lumberyard tomorrow afternoon. NO, the box stores don't have it around. But, guess what? I just noticed that one of the big orange places has finally started to carry 'birch hardwood plywood' in 4' X 8' sheets for $50/sheet. I doubt if it is baltic or russian birch, but it appeared to be void free! They have never carried it before. Must buy a few sheets.

Comment

• Dennis H
                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                            • Aug 2002

But, guess what? I just noticed that one of the big orange places has finally started to carry 'birch hardwood plywood' in 4' X 8' sheets for $50/sheet. I doubt if it is baltic or russian birch, but it appeared to be void free! They have never carried it before. Must buy a few sheets.
                                                            That's a really good price if it's real appleply, what they usually call US-made baltic birch in 4x8 sheets.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                              • Aug 2000

The stuff at HD is likely from China. I used it in the Isiris and Black Whispers, seems fine but for the occasional thick spot in the laminations

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• cjd
                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                • Dec 2004

Yup. I use that stuff from HD as well. Good 'nuff for me, i'm cheap and lazy. :P

Comment

• chasw98
                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                  • Jan 2006

Need to get this back on the first page before I lose track of it. I am almost finished constructing the second mirror image baffle. Waiting on 15 10-32 X 3/8" flat head screws.

Name:	P1000846.webp
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	936991

Once I get the drivers screwed in place I will have two complete baffles with drivers mounted and ready for bracing and bases. I am going to laminate 2 pieces of 1 X 4 red oak for a single rear diagonal brace going from 5 feet up the baffle to the rear of the base which will be 24 inches deep. Once I laminate the oak I am going to route a channel down the piece that will hold the cables that feed the arrays. The brace will bolt into the array with flat head 1/4-20 bolts and hurricane nuts. The base will be sort of pentagonal and bolt onto the rear of the baffle at approx. floor height. This will allow me to break down the array into 4 pieces for transportation or moving it. Base, brace, baffle with woofers, and plexiglass mid/hi section.

Just getting the baflles ready is only part of this procedure. Constructing the base and the brace will allow me to stand these guys up and listen to them while I sort out crossover issues and such. And at some point I will tear them down again and make them look pretty with a nice finish.
                                                                  Last edited by theSven; 21 May 2023, 10:59 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • May 2007

Just one brace? Screws & T-nuts? No Glue? That's it? :E What happened to the aluminum angle and spine? Are you crazy ... what if there's an earthquake. :B Oh, I forgot you're in Florida ...
                                                                    John unk:

Comment

• Mazeroth
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Johnloudb
                                                                      what if there's an earthquake. :B Oh, I forgot you're in Florida ...
                                                                      Even worse! :B

Comment

• PhilDSP
                                                                        • Jul 2009

I don't know if the old B&G whitepaper is still on the PE website, it had recommended listening distances for the various height planars. The shorter the planar the shorter the listening distance.
                                                                        That was an initial concern for me as the preferred listening position in my living room is about 12 foot from the front plane of each speaker. But I've lived with a a pair of RD75's standing straight up off the floor with no baffle what-so-ever for the past few months and find that they definitely sound much better and more balanced up close.

Then again my room seems to kill high frequency signals. To flatten the FR for the RD75 with a 31 band DEQ I needed to boost everything above 12K by about 12db. I'm also testing a Foundtek NeoCD2.0 and it's output looks exactly like the published specs until 20K and then it rolls off extremely quickly.

I'm in the process of building a 4-way array: a 10" Scanspeak isobaric pair, [8] SB15 5" mid-woofers, the RD75 and [8] NeoCD2.0's

In the process of testing I've found that a single SB15 paired with a single NeoCD2.0 at ear level crossed over at 1800 Hz actually compares nicely to a single RD75. I might slightly prefer the tonality of the SB15/NeoCD2.0 as the treble is quite a bit nicer and lower mids punchier. (The NeoCD2.0 has less mass and reacts even more quickly to the signal than the RD75) But of course distortion and cone breakup sets in at higher SPL's with denser audio material with that crossover. That shouldn't be a problem at all in an 8 element array.

The SB15 with NeoCD2.0 setup is just a test of course. I haven't heard all of the intended components together yet but what I've heard is already amazing. The RD75 brings an enormous sound stage to the table.

115 db SPL's without audible distortion? No problem whatsoever for these puppies in full configuration I'm sure. But now one has to worry about hearing loss...

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                          Mad Max Moderator
                                                                          • Aug 2000
                                                                          • 15298

You'll get a cleaner response out of those RD75's with a baffle to support the lower mids; even then, my preference is about a 600 Hz crossover.
                                                                          the AudioWorx
                                                                          Natalie P
                                                                          M8ta
                                                                          Modula Neo DCC
                                                                          Modula MT XE
                                                                          Modula Xtreme
                                                                          Isiris
                                                                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                          Minerva Monitor
                                                                          Calliope
                                                                          Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                          Obi-Wan
                                                                          Modula PWB
                                                                          Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                          Natalie P Ultra
                                                                          Natalie P Supreme
                                                                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                                            • Aug 2000
                                                                            • 10933

Originally posted by PhilDSP
                                                                            To flatten the FR for the RD75 with a 31 band DEQ I needed to boost everything above 12K by about 12db.
                                                                            Yeap most planars have a soft top end
                                                                            I'm in the process of building a 4-way array: a 10" Scanspeak isobaric pair, [8] SB15 5" mid-woofers, the RD75 and [8] NeoCD2.0's
                                                                            Should sound pretty good... :T
                                                                            115 db SPL's without audible distortion? No problem whatsoever for these puppies in full configuration I'm sure. But now one has to worry about hearing loss...
                                                                            +1

It's easy to toast one's ears with a big array. Our brain tells us to turn things down when the distortion reaches a certain level, that keeps most people from damaging their hearing. With a big array distortion isn't audible until the output is at the major ear damage level.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• PhilDSP
                                                                              Member
                                                                              • Jul 2009
                                                                              • 78

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                                                                              You'll get a cleaner response out of those RD75's with a baffle to support the lower mids; even then, my preference is about a 600 Hz crossover.
                                                                              That sounds good, they're just standing there now for test purposes. Since I like the top end with the Fountek's the crossover values I plan are 125 Hz, 600 Hz & 4000 Hz.

Comment

• PhilDSP
                                                                                Member
                                                                                • Jul 2009
                                                                                • 78

It's easy to toast one's ears with a big array. Our brain tells us to turn things down when the distortion reaches a certain level, that keeps most people from damaging their hearing. With a big array distortion isn't audible until the output is at the major ear damage level.
                                                                                It's especially problematic with very dynamic material. This weekend I was listening to the DVD Audio release of the Verdi Requiem recorded in St. Petersburg, Russia. It's often fairly quiet and of course I like to turn up a bit to revel in the low level details. But double sfortzando (sp.?) with the entire choir and brass blaring that comes on suddenly in places is truly frightening :E

Comment

• lilypotter
                                                                                  Junior Member
                                                                                  • Jun 2009
                                                                                  • 9

Looks awesome.

Comment

• chasw98
                                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                                    • Jan 2006
                                                                                    • 1360

Here you go. Another weekend update. I have completed both frames and the method of supporting them upright. They are built and ready to load the drivers into.

Name:	P1000850.webp
Views:	100
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	936992

Name:	P1000851.webp
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	936993

I have both plexiglas panels finished and wired and ready to bolt in. I also have the wiring harness for one set of woofers ready to go. Tomorrow I will get the other set of woofers wired up and ready, then install everything, turn 'em on, and listen for a while.

Note that no attempts to make them stylish, pretty, or any other looks enhancing techniques have taken place yet. I am only at the stage where I now have a pair that I can A/B against the other, test and measure different xover configurations, and move them about fairly easily. The real work is yet to come.
                                                                                    Last edited by theSven; 21 May 2023, 11:00 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                      Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                      • Aug 2000
                                                                                      • 15298

Originally posted by chasw98
                                                                                      The real work is yet to come.
                                                                                      Man, that always seems to be the case no matter how far along you are!
                                                                                      the AudioWorx
                                                                                      Natalie P
                                                                                      M8ta
                                                                                      Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                      Modula MT XE
                                                                                      Modula Xtreme
                                                                                      Isiris
                                                                                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                      Minerva Monitor
                                                                                      Calliope
                                                                                      Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                      Obi-Wan
                                                                                      Modula PWB
                                                                                      Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                      Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                      Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• CraigJ
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Feb 2006
                                                                                        • 519

I see you dressed up for our picture. You're going to love the dynamics of your upcoming array!

Cj

Comment

• Dennis H
                                                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                          • Aug 2002
                                                                                          • 3798

Originally posted by CraigJ
                                                                                          I see you dressed up for our picture.
                                                                                          Hah! Chuck busted with a bare belly in the reflection. Man, I don't know how you southern guys get anything done. 106 today here in the NW and I stayed inside with the AC and didn't do diddly.

Comment

• chasw98
                                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                                            • Jan 2006
                                                                                            • 1360

Originally posted by Dennis H
                                                                                            Hah! Chuck busted with a bare belly in the reflection. Man, I don't know how you southern guys get anything done. 106 today here in the NW and I stayed inside with the AC and didn't do diddly.
                                                                                            How many ways can I spell EMBARASSED!!!!!!!!! ops: ops: ops:

Dennis:
                                                                                            I moved to Florida in 1993 and I am still NOT USED TO THE HEAT! Before that I lived for 20 years in Woody Creek, Colorado at 8,000 feet altitude. Why did I ever leave?????

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"