How would an increase in speaker cables length affect cam600 performance?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eliav
    • Jul 2005

How would an increase in speaker cables length affect cam600 performance?

Hello all
    I have recently came across a vexing issue. I used to own a 2 meter speaker cable ( not mentioning brand, just saying it is a reference class very expensive cable). I recently replaced it with a longer cable (2.5m),same brand. I noticed definite decrease in bass reproduction. Not saying dramatic, but an audible decrease for sure. Checked with classe, the cable manufacturer,and textbook of physics, all indicate there was no way an increase in .5m should cause the amps to fail reproducing the same bass it did with shorter cables .Yet, I learned to absolutely trust my ears, and I am positive something has changed. Needless to say I did not change room acoustics, speakers position, etc.
    Anyone's experience with a similar issue?
    Thanks
    Eliav
    Last edited by Eliav; 17 August 2012, 13:48 Friday. Reason: Misspelling
    :T Socrat
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

If you did not move the speakers farther, then why the longer cable?. In any event, even though the cable is of the same brand, the materials used and wires inside it are probably different than in your old ones. I've changed some wiring over time and have noticed a difference every time when I change them. Sometimes better, sometimes worse. Wires DO make quite an effect on the sound produced....including interconnects.
    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• slauten
      • Aug 2011

My guess is you moved equipment location, and left the speakers in the same position. To my knowledge...the cable manufacturers claim a break in period is needed to sound their best. If the new cables are identical, with exact same specs for materials used...then there should not be any difference. Except break in period.

See Ya,
      Steve

Comment

• Eliav
        • Jul 2005

Thanks guys.
        I got a longer pair since I was anticipating a change in my room, which never took place eventually. trust me NOTHING changed except for the .5 m addition of the SAME cable from the same manufacturer and same brand.
        My listening room is a music shrine. Every spot from speakers position to sweet spot has been tested, measured,calculated and marked. No one gets in this room, and NOTHING moved or changed when I replaced the new cables. Both cables were broken in well beyond the manufacturer's recommended time. The reason I posted this question is what I hear does not make sense. Dont get me wrong, the sound is amazingly detailed and 3 dimensional,yet I still feel the bass is a bit dryer and with less punch than it used to be. Is this just my imagination?

Comment

• stuofsci02
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Eliav
          Thanks guys.
          I got a longer pair since I was anticipating a change in my room, which never took place eventually. trust me NOTHING changed except for the .5 m addition of the SAME cable from the same manufacturer and same brand.
          My listening room is a music shrine. Every spot from speakers position to sweet spot has been tested, measured,calculated and marked. No one gets in this room, and NOTHING moved or changed when I replaced the new cables. Both cables were broken in well beyond the manufacturer's recommended time. The reason I posted this question is what I hear does not make sense. Dont get me wrong, the sound is amazingly detailed and 3 dimensional,yet I still feel the bass is a bit dryer and with less punch than it used to be. Is this just my imagination?
          I understand why you have an issue.. While there will be a small resistance increase due to the longer cable, this will be so small it there should not be an audible difference.

Do you have any test equipment were you can swap out the cables back to the old ones and compare using real information?

Maybe there is an issue with the terminations..
          Main System:
          B&W 801D
          Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
          Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
          Oppo BDP-105
          Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
          B&W CM7
          Emotiva UMC-1
          Emotiva UPA-2
          Oppo BDP-83SE
          Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• Oddiophile
            • Jul 2008

Eliav,

See if you can get another identical set of the 2.5 m cables from the dealer and substitute them. Perhaps there is some weird issue with that particular set of 2.5 m cables that you have.

Comment

• Eliav
              • Jul 2005

I don't think A/B comparison will be possible. The dealer can send me his own pair which are 4 m long. I can theoretically check for diminishing bass with these compared to mine, and draw a conclusion by deduction. I did speak with Classe, they say that the CAM600 should not have any problems with the increased resistance due to lincrease in length. Cable company claims that their recommended length for best performance is 2.5-4meter.in fact, they do not recommend anything less than 2 meter (I wonder why.. :W ). How do I check the terminals quality ? These are factory made golden banana ones, they all feel solid and are nicely secured into my 800d.
              The other option is to send the cables to the manufacturer for lab testing, they may detect an issue.
              Thanks

Comment

• PewterTA
                • Nov 2004

Just a crazy thought... but is the 2.5 cables brand new..... and your other cables broken in....

Could there be something to "break-in" of a cable.... Do you have your others and when you put them on there's a difference? Give the 2.5s a few days of use (maybe 30 to 50 hours) and then swap back and see if there's a difference... I bet you'll see there's no difference after that time....
                Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                -Dan

Comment

• stuofsci02
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Nov 2009

What exactly happens during cable breakin.... Sounds like audio religion to me.
                  Main System:
                  B&W 801D
                  Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                  Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                  Oppo BDP-105
                  Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                  B&W CM7
                  Emotiva UMC-1
                  Emotiva UPA-2
                  Oppo BDP-83SE
                  Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• slauten
                    • Aug 2011

Originally posted by stuofsci02
                    What exactly happens during cable breakin.... Sounds like audio religion to me.
                    The cables need to be emotionally attached to the system before they can produce the best sound! In addition...as the cables get warm they outgas any remaining volatile organic compounds allowing the music to flow unrestricted.

No charge for the humor

Steve

Comment

• madmac
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2010

I've heard of component break in (I'm still skeptical of this too), but I have never heard of wire break in??!!. It's not entirely impossible though but probably very minor in regards to sound output and it's quality.

Comment

• slauten
                        • Aug 2011

I somewhat believe a cable could have some minor break in period...my opinion is based on several cable/interconnect manufacturers claiming a break in period is necessary before it will sound it's best. Of course I'm drinking the coolaide because I bought into the concept that better cables sound better. I do click my heels together 3 times before I turn my system on...I know that helps me listen better.

Can you hear me now?

Steve

Comment

• madmac
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2010

Originally posted by slauten
                          I somewhat believe a cable could have some minor break in period...my opinion is based on several cable/interconnect manufacturers claiming a break in period is necessary before it will sound it's best. Of course I'm drinking the coolaide because I bought into the concept that better cables sound better. I do click my heels together 3 times before I turn my system on...I know that helps me listen better.

Can you hear me now?

Steve
                          Different cables absolutely affect sound quality, regardless of their cost. Both in speaker wire and interconnects (Break in or not). Experiment until you find ones you like. :T

Comment

• slauten
                            • Aug 2011

Originally posted by madmac
                            Different cables absolutely affect sound quality, regardless of their cost. Both in speaker wire and interconnects (Break in or not). Experiment until you find ones you like. :T
                            I totally agree...just wanted to cover my bases. There are some members on the HTGuide forum who would disagree that interconnects, speaker wire, along with related items such as better power cords can't improve sound.

See Ya,
                            Steve

Comment

• madmac
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2010

I totally agree...just wanted to cover my bases. There are some members on the HTGuide forum who would disagree that interconnects, speaker wire, along with related items such as better power cords can't improve sound.

See Ya,
                              Steve
                              I once changed the interconnects from my CD player to the amp and heard a very big improvement in sound. What is particularly interesting is sub interconnects. I've changed them a number of times with very different 'timbers' and results of bass being produced which I find very interesting. Remember, wiring is getting better and wires from 10 years ago are not like new quality wiring being produced today. Also, it's possible that the internal wiring can get 'tired' , hard, brittle, and easily damaged....sort of like old home electrical wiring.

Comment

• stuofsci02
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Nov 2009

See Ya,
                                Steve
                                Yes... This is me for speaker wire and power cables... Also for bi-wire...
                                Main System:
                                B&W 801D
                                Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                                Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                                Oppo BDP-105
                                Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                                B&W CM7
                                Emotiva UMC-1
                                Emotiva UPA-2
                                Oppo BDP-83SE
                                Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• aarsoe
                                  • May 2004

To me the only logical explanation would be differences, physically, in the cables.
                                  It could be difference in the cable used,as in different production batch with slightly different mixture of metals. Or it could be something as simple as the person attaching the plugs at the end of the cable twisted them 3 times instead of 4 on your original cables. But I am guessing and have nothing solid to back it up.

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"