X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • christmas
    • Nov 2011

lesson learned!

Originally posted by mjb
    It was released before the ethernet was ready, and I've learnt, don't buy anything on a promise.
    is not going to happen ever again...

Comment

• christmas
      • Nov 2011

Originally posted by 8bitAudio
      I don't believe that the ethernet port on the CP800 has any real connection internally. It may terminate on the USB board but there isn't any network hardware currently. So additional hardware will be required. And software.

As far as the Mac and FLAC I use Decibel as a player. Converting to ALAC wasn't an option as none of my media players support it. There's also audirvana. I've been using the free version but there's a pay one available that offers iTunes integration. I haven't tried it so can't comment.
      i used the free version for a long time.
      i have just downloaded the PLUS demo version and have to say it works very good.much better of pure music as interface at least and iTunes integration as well.
      going to ALAC is not an option for me neither.

Comment

• mjb
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Perhaps I'm just an audiophile-philanderer, but I'm almost happy to accept iTunes' acoustic limitations for it's GUI, ease of use, and simplicity. I will checkout the new 1.2.6 Decibel though, it seems to have come a long way since I last tried it. I was always happy thinking loss-less is loss-less, irrespective of file container, or soft-player.
        - Mike

Main System:
        B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
        Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• slauten
          • Aug 2011

I've really enjoyed the recent dialog about the CP-800 potential upgrades. I would like to see as much flexibility as possible related to software and hardware upgrades. When I bought my CP-800 I hoped that the use of Ethernet port upgrade would come in 2012, along with software upgrades. To be honest...I have been pleased with the upgrades released for the SSP-800 and feel they will deliver some valuable upgrades for the CP-800.

In my opinion Classe has done a pretty good job in the SSP-800 upgrades and kept it current without the need to replace the entire unit. I think Classe will continue with a similar effort for the CP-800. If you review what upgrades Classe launched on the SSP-800 I feel they did an excellent job. Is it perfect...No, but compared to other manufacturers in the level of quality and performance as Classe I have not seen anyone else do better.

Based on what I have seen from Classe so far, I feel they will try to extend the life of the CP-800 as far as they can before designing something to replace it. That certainly has been shown with other upgrades they have offered. I think that conveys extremely good value, and for me a reason to stick with Classe. Anytime I can keep my existing unit and simply replace a circuit board, or processor, or do a software upgrade I vote for that!

See Ya,
          Steve

Comment

• 8bitAudio
            • Feb 2012

This may be a bit off topic but I can only try.

I recently setup a Sonos system for a friend of mine. The most impressive part was the great ipad app to select and play music. In the end that may be all Classe needs. A great ipad app to control the network streaming. Does the local touchscreen make any sense for scrolling through thousands of songs?

A nic might be 4.99 but I guess that price was meant in jest. Maybe if we include a processor and memory we get to $25 . I think $250-500 might be a good target for the USB + network streaming upgrade.

Comment

• mjb
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by slauten
              In my opinion Classe has done a pretty good job in the SSP-800 upgrades and kept it current without the need to replace the entire unit
              Steve, hardware wise I'll agree with you, but there are still several outstanding software issues, and no software update for 14 months. I would like to think there will be (at least) a bug fix build released VERY soon.
              - Mike

Main System:
              B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS

Comment

• slauten
                • Aug 2011

Originally posted by mjb
                Steve, hardware wise I'll agree with you, but there are still several outstanding software issues, and no software update for 14 months. I would like to think there will be (at least) a bug fix build released VERY soon.
                No question that software updates are past due. The move to manufacturing in China has probably put them behind in finishing updates. In general Classe has not had much in the news lately. So hopefully they get things rolling soon!

I'm ready to have Classe blow my socks off, or at least give the Industry a run for the money.

See Ya,
                Steve

Comment

• slauten
                  • Aug 2011

Any updates from rebelman? He used to be out front on whats happening at Classe. Have not seen much from him lately.

See Ya,
                  Steve

Comment

• 8bitAudio
                    • Feb 2012

Originally posted by mjb
                    What are the outstanding issues? I thought the CP800 was pretty good at this point.

Comment

• mjb
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

What are the outstanding issues? I thought the CP800 was pretty good at this point.
                      I was refering to the SSP-800, not the CP-800. Sorry for not being clear.
                      The following SSP-800 bugs will apparently be addressed in the next firmware offering (3.0.2). I'm not sure if there are more, I'm by no means an expert, or "in the know", this is just what I've read in another thread:
                      • Correct Bi-amp mode so both outputs work!
                      • Allow playing DD5.1 with phantom center (no center speaker) without forcing DRC on
                      • Changes to HDMI operation to improve compatibility with certain devices
                      • Fix where the eq is not properly applied to one of the rear surround channels
                      • A bug in Config6 that messed up the time delay in the R channel
                      - Mike

Main System:
                      B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS

Comment

• gerardhn
                        • Jun 2005

Hello,

I go back to the title of this thread: cp 800 ethernet connection.
                        I got answer from Classe. I copy it, to share:

Dear Gerard,

Thanks for the enquiry.

The Ethernet connection is part of a more comprehensive digital board update which will also enable 192 kHz on USB.

This is a high priority development, with a unique set of development parameters, so is not a quick development process. There is a lot of testing work still to be done, but high priority is in place.

I’m sorry that the timescale is long for you, and realistically, it won’t be ready until at least the end of the summer.

I hope this is not too disappointing.

With best regards

Ed Jones
                        Technical Support Technician

Comment

• rgbyhkr
                          • Sep 2009

Sounds like what we've been hearing up to this point. It could be a CEDIA announcement, even if it wasn't quite ready for shipment - better that than CES! We'll see what the eventual upgrade and new retail costs are.

Comment

• wettou
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • May 2006

Originally posted by rgbyhkr
                            Sounds like what we've been hearing up to this point. It could be a CEDIA announcement, even if it wasn't quite ready for shipment - better that than CES! We'll see what the eventual upgrade and new retail costs are.
                            I think it will be CES 2013, CP-800 Current Version: V1.01 Last Updated: 10/20/2011

Classé has never been in a hurry, and would rather release good products,

The SSP-800 last software update wasLast Updated: 02/28/2011 Current Version: V3.01
                            Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Skyblue
                              • Jun 2009

Originally posted by wettou
                              I wholly concur with this strategy. Especially since releasing a faulty software update might brick your unit.

Otoh, one can take that to extremes. Like the duke nukem forever release last year. And it wasn't even any good.
                              B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• 8bitAudio
                                • Feb 2012

Originally posted by wettou
                                I think it will be CES 2013, CP-800 Current Version: V1.01 Last Updated: 10/20/2011

The SSP-800 last software update wasLast Updated: 02/28/2011 Current Version: V3.01
                                I guess end-of-year could be any year. Maybe 2013 is the one.

I believe that Airplay is implemented by using a module or chip that provides the functionality. Probably something like this SMSC Jukeblox Technology
                                I guess our best guess is at least 2013.

Comment

• rgbyhkr
                                  • Sep 2009

Just to keep things clear, it looks like this will be a hardware and software update. In addition, the update is a paid one. So, they certainly have lots of reasons to get it right and hopefully they will.

Comment

• christmas
                                    • Nov 2011

then i need a temporary solution or maybe sell it.i can't wait 'till 2013 to play my music!!
                                    kinda disappointing.
                                    next time don't come out with an ethernet port if you need years to make it usable. :M they promised that it would be available in Q4 2011.
                                    there are other products in the market that can do the job now. i should have bought something else.especially knowing that i also have to pay for the upgrade now.
                                    Last edited by christmas; 04 May 2012, 23:49 Friday.

Comment

• roubaixpro
                                      • Mar 2012

I attended a tech expo at my local stereo store on 5/4/12 and one of the demonstrations was done for the CP-800 by Dave Baker who is a rep for the BW Group.

He mentioned that the CP-800 ethernet upgrade will be offered around September, 2012 and will cost $500. All new CP-800 units coming from the factory with the ethernet upgrades will cost an additional $500. The current units will not have to be sent back to the factory, but will be upgraded by field technicians coming to your home and installing the new hardware / software.

For those with an SSP-800, he also mentioned that a new version is being worked on now and will be coming out in about 1-1.5 years from now. Current SSP-800 units will NOT be upgradable to the newer unit, so this will truly be the next generation preamp processor. He would not say what new features it would include but my guess would be having such things as ethernet streaming, Apple / Airplay support, 4K video support, etc... :B

Comment

• Skyblue
                                        • Jun 2009

Originally posted by roubaixpro
                                        I attended a tech expo at my local stereo store on 5/4/12 and one of the demonstrations was done for the CP-800 by Dave Baker who is a rep for the BW Group.

He mentioned that the CP-800 ethernet upgrade will be offered around September, 2012 and will cost $500. All new CP-800 units coming from the factory with the ethernet upgrades will cost an additional $500. The current units will not have to be sent back to the factory, but will be upgraded by field technicians coming to your home and installing the new hardware / software.

For those with an SSP-800, he also mentioned that a new version is being worked on now and will be coming out in about 1-1.5 years from now. Current SSP-800 units will NOT be upgradable to the newer unit, so this will truly be the next generation preamp processor. He would not say what new features it would include but my guess would be having such things as ethernet streaming, Apple / Airplay support, 4K video support, etc... :B
                                        Meh.. :/

Well, the processor is the one of the fastest things to become obsolete. Get speakers and amps, they last.
                                        B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• 8bitAudio
                                          • Feb 2012

I find it funny that a company rep would basically tell people not to buy the current product as the new 'super' one will be coming relatively soon. To me it sounds very strange. I guess BW Group doesn't want the Classe division selling any more SSP800's.

I still see the ethernet/usb upgrade sometime mid to late 2013. Maybe he meant September 2013? And as far as field technicians coming to your home I guess this depends on the definition of technician. It could be the salesman from the local dealer who knows which end of the screwdriver does the work.

Comment

• mjb
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Mar 2005

mmm, so its at least 2 years away - airplay will be added after a further year with a $500 add in board, although advertised from the start - and 4K video after still another year with a $1k video pcb upgrade. No need to sell your SSP-800 quite yet.... but why would Mr Baker want to kill sales of their current flagship processor? So we can start saving?
                                            - Mike

Main System:
                                            B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS

Comment

• Skyblue
                                              • Jun 2009

Originally posted by mjb
                                              mmm, so its at least 2 years away - airplay will be added after a further year with a $500 add in board, although advertised from the start - and 4K video after still another year with a $1k video pcb upgrade. No need to sell your SSP-800 quite yet.... but why would Mr Baker want to kill sales of their current flagship processor? So we can start saving?
                                              I do believe that there is a rule in marketing that says to never ever talk about your new fantastic product, as long as your old one is doing well. I've seen software companies go bust because everybody was holding out for the next version...

That being said, its no surprise that a new version comes out. It was bound to happen. The surprise is I think that there will be no way to upgrade the old ssp. But I guess we will ahve to wait and see. I for one, am very happy with my ssp800 as it is. I never expected it to be the latest and greatest forever.

Comment

• rgbyhkr
                                                • Sep 2009

I still see the ethernet/usb upgrade sometime mid to late 2013. Maybe he meant September 2013? And as far as field technicians coming to your home I guess this depends on the definition of technician. It could be the salesman from the local dealer who knows which end of the screwdriver does the work.
                                                I think his statement ius in line with what I have heard directly from 2 different people at the company and with the email Gerard got from Ed Jones posted earlier in the thread. September (of 2012) would be late Summer. Now, they could still absolutely miss that deadline, but we now have at least 4 different people from the company saying essentially the same thing as it relates to the release data for the CP-800 upgrade. As to the field upgrade, I wouldn't be surprised if it's a dealer install such that it would be one of their employees coming to do it vs. someone from Classe.

Comment

• roubaixpro
                                                  • Mar 2012

The B&W rep sounded confident that September 2012 would be the date the CP-800 ethernet upgrade would be coming out. My dealer offered no sales tax on the purchase of the CP-800, which I took up their offer. :B

BTW, a new positive review of the CP-800 just came out here:
                                                  The tests that Andrew Robinson put the Classé CP-800 stereo preamp processor through were extensive, encompassing stereo and multi-channel playback at a variety of resolutions. Read on to find out how the CP-800 fared.

Regarding the successor to the SSP-800, it does seem strange that the rep announced it, but I think that most people don't want to wait another 1-1.5 years for the new version. He said that the SSP-800 is Classe's most successful product, and thus I can imagine that they are putting a lot of effort in creating a new ground up product that will eclipse anything else on the market. This is why the SSP-800 will not be upgradable because the new pre pro will not be based on the SSP-800.

Comment

• christmas
                                                    • Nov 2011

Originally posted by rgbyhkr
                                                    I think his statement ius in line with what I have heard directly from 2 different people at the company and with the email Gerard got from Ed Jones posted earlier in the thread. September (of 2012) would be late Summer. Now, they could still absolutely miss that deadline, but we now have at least 4 different people from the company saying essentially the same thing as it relates to the release data for the CP-800 upgrade. As to the field upgrade, I wouldn't be surprised if it's a dealer install such that it would be one of their employees coming to do it vs. someone from Classe.
                                                    I live in china and can't wait to host Classe engineers in my house for the upgrade! :B

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • Mar 2005

Regarding the successor to the SSP-800, it does seem strange that the rep announced it, but I think that most people don't want to wait another 1-1.5 years for the new version. He said that the SSP-800 is Classe's most successful product, and thus I can imagine that they are putting a lot of effort in creating a new ground up product that will eclipse anything else on the market. This is why the SSP-800 will not be upgradable because the new pre pro will not be based on the SSP-800.
                                                      Don't put too much stock in a replacement (promise) anytime soon. The two heavy weights that built the SSP-800 are no longer with the company. The SSP-800 has tremendous staying power. It lacks some features which stands to reason as the SSP-800 is an music lovers device first and foremost. It is their most successful product by far and far from obsolescence. Enjoy!
                                                      "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• fourxmotion
                                                        • Aug 2009

Besides Alan Clark who else left the company?

Comment

• busby
                                                          • Jul 2011

Don't judge the capability of the company purely on the basis that one (or two?) names that you happen to know have left. Classé products are designed by a team of engineers not all of whom have a public persona.

Comment

• fourxmotion
                                                            • Aug 2009

Am I passing judgement? You are making assumptions and not understanding my reason for asking.

Comment

• busby
                                                              • Jul 2011

I guess I was really replying to the previous poster and didn't mean to imply that you (or he) were passing judgement. However, the HiFi world and the press in particular tend to get hung up on a few "names" - and by and large they tend to be hardware people (as hardware is more tangible - you can see and touch it). Of course the hardware design is very important in determining the ultimate performance but in products as complex as the SSP-800 and CP-800, 90% of the design effort goes into the software. We don't get to know most of the folk doing most of the work in the industry so I'm simply cautioning against undue pessimism when those that we do know move on to new pastures!

Comment

• 8bitAudio
                                                                • Feb 2012

Originally posted by hfriedman
                                                                Besides Alan Clark who else left the company?
                                                                Looking at the AVS Forums the following was posted

Originally posted by Robert Harley
                                                                One of the engineers who worked on this problem (and on many other aspects of the SSP-800) is Alan Clark, the primary author of the great Linn CD12 CD player. Clark is VP of Research and Development and Chief Technical Officer of the B&W Group. Another Classé engineer who contributed greatly to the SSP-800 is Tom Calatayud, who worked at Mark Levinson on such products as the groundbreaking No.30 digital processor and No.40 Media Controller. The user interface was created and written by Classé engineer Richard Katezansky.
                                                                Link to Review

Both have since left Classé, Alan for Ayre and Tom I believe to Sonos. And as busby has written here and seems obvious to most, software takes up most of the development time on projects like the CP800 and SSP800 (and successors). I guess that the same people who wrote the software for these projects are still with Classé and working on the new ones.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by busby
                                                                  Don't judge the capability of the company purely on the basis that one (or two?) names that you happen to know have left. Classé products are designed by a team of engineers not all of whom have a public persona.
                                                                  Products generally recognized for their unique ability and/or high performance have almost always been led by an individual engineer's design. Indeed a team is involved but in so far as to bring the design to life. It's a bigger deal than you realize and the principle reason why boutique companies fair better than mass production ones regarding the afore mentioned qualities.

Software development is a key component (these days) but not nearly the lion's share in design you indicate. I have a background in both so I know a thing or two about it.

Comment

• bigburner
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • May 2005

Originally posted by busby
                                                                    I guess I was really replying to the previous poster and didn't mean to imply that you (or he) were passing judgement. However, the HiFi world and the press in particular tend to get hung up on a few "names" - and by and large they tend to be hardware people (as hardware is more tangible - you can see and touch it). Of course the hardware design is very important in determining the ultimate performance but in products as complex as the SSP-800 and CP-800, 90% of the design effort goes into the software. We don't get to know most of the folk doing most of the work in the industry so I'm simply cautioning against undue pessimism when those that we do know move on to new pastures!
                                                                    Spoken like a true software engineer busby. I concur.

Nigel.

Comment

• bigburner
                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                      • May 2005

Originally posted by RebelMan
                                                                      I have a background in both so I know a thing or two about it.
                                                                      Specifically which industry if you don't mind me asking James?

Nigel.

Comment

• 8bitAudio
                                                                        Junior Member
                                                                        • Feb 2012

Originally posted by RebelMan
                                                                        Products generally recognized for their unique ability and/or high performance have almost always been led by an individual engineer's design. Indeed a team is involved but in so far as to bring the design to life. It's a bigger deal than you realize and the principle reason why boutique companies fair better than mass production ones regarding the afore mentioned qualities.

Software development is a key component (these days) but not nearly the lion's share in design you indicate. I have a background in both so I know a thing or two about it.
                                                                        So who in your opinion is the individual responsable for the SSP-800?

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                                          • Mar 2005
                                                                          • 3139

Originally posted by bigburner
                                                                          Specifically which industry if you don't mind me asking James?

Nigel.
                                                                          I don't mind. EE and CS.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                                            • Mar 2005
                                                                            • 3139

So who in your opinion is the individual responsable for the SSP-800?
                                                                            Fact is Thomas Calatayud was the principle engineer. Here's a little remark he made about a year after the SSP was launched...

This is the most personally rewarding review I've read about any product I've been involved with since the Mark Levinson No30.5 upgrade. I don't think I've ever had the chance to meet Jerry C, but thanks for the strong words of encouragement.

In all cases, high end products require dedicated people trying to do their absolute best work. Literally thousands of decisions go into these designs, many of them revisited & re-evaluated during development. I'm very happy to know that the attention to detail has paid off for those who invest in the equipment - though I won't say surprised. I had every intention of making this the best sounding product I've ever worked on.

Comment

• Stevebez
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Oct 2003
                                                                              • 458

#83
                                                                              Have to say the idea that people will wait ad nauseam for a product (which to all intents and purposes is a computer now - see CP/SSP-800) to deliver a good result (without bugs) in todays age is somewhat misplaced I think.

Frankly a 1-1.5 yr wait for an SSP800 update is simply pathetic especially since one is paying top dollar and there are known bugs. Why release a CP800 when a key feature will only be offered a year down the road at best? I was really tempted to get a CP but there is no way I would now and doubt I ever will if this is the pace Classe moves at. I would be furious had I purchased either the CP/SSP firstly with the initial very long development - the subsequent delivery which is still required / requires updates in both software and hardware and which very few have actually beeen realised.

Don't get me wrong I very much like Classe or rather would very much like to, but they do not make it easy at all - particularly at their price point.

Comment

• gerardhn
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Jun 2005
                                                                                • 352

#84
                                                                                Pls.... Subject is cp 800 ethernet....

Comment

• Stevebez
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Oct 2003
                                                                                  • 458

#85
                                                                                  Yes indeed ... to which the answer is : "There is none".

Comment

• mjb
                                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                                    • Mar 2005
                                                                                    • 1483

#86
                                                                                    Originally posted by Stevebez
                                                                                    Yes indeed ... to which the answer is : "There is none".
                                                                                    :rofl: Sad, but true.
                                                                                    - Mike

Main System:
                                                                                    B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS

Comment

• 8bitAudio
                                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                                      • Feb 2012
                                                                                      • 26

#87
                                                                                      Originally posted by mjb
                                                                                      :rofl: Sad, but true.
                                                                                      But hopefully there will be eventually.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                        • Mar 2005
                                                                                        • 3139

#88
                                                                                        There will be but that doesn't mean you cannot enjoy the CP-800 now without one. It only means you'll enjoy it more when it does.

Comment

• gerardhn
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Jun 2005
                                                                                          • 352

#89
                                                                                          Update about the functionalty/delivery of CP 800 ethernet port from Classe HQ!:

We are not Spring yet. I’m talking about 2013!
                                                                                          Development is going as planned so again, this will become available between Apr-Jun.

So soon we can enjoy the streaming option.
                                                                                          Start saving! Can you believe a CP 800 in your network, start play music via ipad? No additional equipment required? Too good to be true. Let see. To be continued.

Comment

• slauten
                                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                                            • Aug 2011
                                                                                            • 105

#90
                                                                                            Classe defines soon as: Sometime before the sun burns out. But they are working on it!

See Ya,
                                                                                            Steve

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"