X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gerardhn
    • Jun 2005

Purpose of: CP 800 ethernet connection

All,

Can we ask Classe to write something what their intention is for the ethernet connection??
    The USB/Apple front connection gets all attention.
    But the ethernet? This is even more interesting.

Read this:

from which I quote: In the future, the company said it plans an upgrade to add network streaming and incorporate popular compressed-music decoders.

What is the filosophy of Classe for Upnp? How do they see real streaming audio from PC/NAS?

THX!

??
  • wettou
    Ultra Senior Member
    • May 2006

Originally posted by gerardhn
    All, Can we ask Classe to write something what their intention is for the ethernet connection?? The USB/Apple front connection gets all attention. But the ethernet? This is even more interesting.

Read this:http://www.twice.com/article/457435-...Components.php

from which I quote: In the future, the company said it plans an upgrade to add network streaming and incorporate popular compressed-music decoders. What is the philosophy of Classe for Upnp? How do they see real streaming audio from PC/NAS? THX! ??
    AIRPLAY Apple

Now it is $6000
    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• RebelMan
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

I have already consulted with Classe' on the subject. It will be in a post called Official CP-800 Thread.
      "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• wettou
        Ultra Senior Member
        • May 2006

Originally posted by RebelMan
        I have already consulted with Classe' on the subject. It will be in a post called Official CP-800 Thread.
        Are you buying one?
        Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• gerardhn
          • Jun 2005

Rebelman,

Great, I wait your/Classe's reponse

Comment

• gerardhn
            • Jun 2005

All,

Any news on this subject???

Would be big big news if we could use LAN/RJ45 connector to send music to CP 800.

Why no response from Classe engineers???

Comment

• style
              Super Senior Member
              • Feb 2006

Hi gerardhn,

I spoke with my friend from Classe and he say that Classé dont release a new cd player becouse have the liwuid music in the head.

my friend is not so happy, a cd player stay already for a long time in the rack from the fans from the brand.

I dont' can immagine a system with "only" a source like a pc or similar...a simple cd player used as drive with the ssp80 or the cp800 is at the first place.

Style

Comment

• ukwildcat
                • Dec 2010

I hate to ask a stupid question, but..

This forum is the first place I have heard of the CP-800, which I guess is a good thing in and of itself, but..

I cannot find mention of the product elsewhere (although thanks for the press link above).

I had the option of putting Classe in my second system some years ago, but it went to Arcam solely on price (Arcam was the best-sounding for the money). Tried Musical Fidelity for a week but it didn't sound right somehow (though I always loved it in the store).

Well, times have changed a bit and $6K in electronics downstairs is not so bad. But not knowing what the product REALLY is..

It's a stereo PREAMP only, with USB input - this I know.
                Does it offer other digital inputs?
                One zone or two?
                No wireless, I assume? (but Ethernet is fine)
                Press release mentions BT capability, but that's.. less convenient than network access.

I use AppleTV with my CT-SSP / CT-5300 combo and I can use Apple Remote.
                I guess it sounds "basic" but it works VERY VERY well, and it's EXTREMELY convenient.

So I'm curious.. Other than a USB input, what else does it offer?

My dealer also says they're bringing a USB DAC to the SSP, but no more word on that.
                I really don't need it - the AppleTV serves as the bridge - but I really like that they're keeping up with things.

Comment

• Srrndhound
                  • Sep 2008

Originally posted by ukwildcat
                  I use AppleTV with my CT-SSP / CT-5300 combo and I can use Apple Remote.
                  I guess it sounds "basic" but it works VERY VERY well, and it's EXTREMELY convenient.
                  Sorry I cannot answer your CP-800 questions, even though I sat in front of it at CES. It seemed to have lots of inputs, though. This blurb reports:

>>Features for the CP-800 include:

· Five set of analog inputs (2 pr. XLR, 3 pr. RCA).
                  · 24/96 DAC with ultra-precise clock.
                  · Nine digital inputs (USB Host & Device, AES/EBU, 3 coax, 4 optical).
                  · Balanced and single-ended outputs: stereo L & R, Aux 1 & 2, Subwoofer.
                  · Special features including Asynchronous USB, parametric room EQ, and a sub output with bass management.<<

I too am running an SSP-800 into Aerials (7B for L/R, C3B for C), and use an AppleTV for the CD collection. Very happy with the lot.

Are you using a Gen1 or Gen2 ATV? If G2, is it for iTunes/CDs rips?

Comment

• rgbyhkr
                    • Sep 2009

Front:

Rear:

Video of Dave Nauber discussing the CP800 at CEDIA 2010:
                    Dave Nauber, President of Classe Audio talks about the amazing new 2 channel processor/preamp from Classe Audio.

Comment

• rgbyhkr
                      • Sep 2009

But not knowing what the product REALLY is..
                      So I'm curious.. Other than a USB input, what else does it offer?
                      I'd say the simplest explanation is a very modern stereo Preamp/DAC with sub management, USB input, network streaming and direct digital playback from iPod/iPhone/iPad devices. If you look around, you might be surprised at how few high end stereo pre-amps offer a built in DAC. Fewer still offer iPod integration and very few of those implement that feature via a digital signal path that bypasses the iPod's internal DAC. Then there's the USB input for playback from your computer of high res files (I've seen mention of 96/24 support over USB - would have preferred 192) via an asynchronous method which is all the rage these days in USB DACs. And of course it offers network streaming with support for AirPlay (or will - unclear at this point given the launch delay if Airplay will be supported out of the box or will come later via firmware update).

It's a stereo PREAMP only, with USB input - this I know.
                      Does it offer other digital inputs?
                      Yes. See pic above and Srrndhound's post.

One zone or two?
                      Two. From the press release:
                      "There is a subwoofer output and two configurable auxiliary channels that can be used to drive additional subs, bi-amp the L&R channels or feed into another room."

No wireless, I assume? (but Ethernet is fine)
                      I haven't seen anything suggesting that it would include WiFi, so I think it's just ethernet.

Press release mentions BT capability, but that's.. less convenient than network access.
                      I think you're referring to this section of the article:
                      "If a USB-connected PC is running iTunes, users could control iTunes remotely via a Bluetooth-enabled remote app available from Apple for the iPod touch, iPhone and iPad."

That statement appears to be incorrect and is part of the article vs. taken directly from Classe's press release (http://www.classeaudio.com/press/pre...ase.htm?id=23). They're talking about Apple's Remote app, which you may already be familiar with using. I don't know if you can use even that app via bluetooth. I've always used it over WiFi and I'm pretty sure you could establish an Ad-Hoc WiFi network between the computer and iPhone/iPod/iPad if you didn't have access to a wireless router. Even if you could do this over BT, WiFi is still an option and would likely be the preferred route for most folks since you wouldn't be limited to direct connection BT range.

I hope this helps put the product into perspective.

Jeff

Comment

• gerardhn
                        • Jun 2005

Any news about ethernet functionality???????
                        I hear nothing.... Why it takes so long???
                        Style, you have news?

Comment

• gerardhn
                          • Jun 2005

After long time waiting I ask again:

who has any news on the release of the ethernet connection?????

Comment

• 8bitAudio
                            • Feb 2012

I guess the question is will the ethernet functionality be available as an upgrade or only on an updated version of the CP800, a CP800v2 so to speak?

Comment

• Skyblue
                              • Jun 2009

After long time waiting I ask again:

who has any news on the release of the ethernet connection?????
                              I would try mailing classe if I were you. I did once, and got an answer back from Dave Nauber himself. How is that for service?
                              B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• gerardhn
                                • Jun 2005

Skyblue,

I mailed them on 8 march.

Canada, headquarters.

Still, no answer. Lets see what comes.

(I fair there is a problem/story with this ethernet connection, too long time quiet since the release of the cp 800)

Comment

• 8bitAudio
                                  • Feb 2012

Skyblue,

I mailed them on 8 march.

Canada, headquarters.

Still, no answer. Lets see what comes.

(I fair there is a problem/story with this ethernet connection, too long time quiet since the release of the cp 800)
                                  Perhaps the departure of Alan Clark has also delayed the implementation of the network functionality of the CP800.

I'm wondering what people are expecting the 'Ethernet Connection' to do?

Airplay?
                                  DLNA?
                                  SMB Client?
                                  MPD Client (as the Bryston BDP-1)?
                                  Are we expecting the touch screen to allow us to browse network resources?
                                  Embedded web server?

Comment

• rgbyhkr
                                    • Sep 2009

Originally posted by 8bitAudio
                                    Perhaps the departure of Alan Clark has also delayed the implementation of the network functionality of the CP800.

I'm wondering what people are expecting the 'Ethernet Connection' to do?

Airplay?
                                    DLNA?
                                    SMB Client?
                                    MPD Client (as the Bryston BDP-1)?
                                    Are we expecting the touch screen to allow us to browse network resources?
                                    Embedded web server?
                                    I think what I remember being suggested by Dave at CEDIA (2010) was DLNA and likely AirPlay (had just been announced by Apple at the time) support as well as control of the unit over the network via some sort of app.

Jeff

Comment

• gerardhn
                                      • Jun 2005

Originally posted by rgbyhkr
                                      I think what I remember being suggested by Dave at CEDIA (2010) was DLNA and likely AirPlay (had just been announced by Apple at the time) support as well as control of the unit over the network via some sort of app.

Jeff
                                      Whatever "dave" suggests at cedia's ....

After 1 one week no response from headquarters, nothing at all, when the ethernet is functional.....

My stomach feeling may be right: this connection smells.

Comment

• londoner
                                        • Apr 2009

I got an email response from Classe at the start of August 2011 saying it would be available "by the end of the year". Since then they've replied to questions but not offered any further information.

If they're developing a client application themselves, for the iPad say, then I can easily believe it's running late - as software projects often do.

It would be good if Classe were more open about what is happening, but small companies are often worried that they will damage sales in the current quarter if they make too much of an forthcoming upgrade. That's frustrating for people like us who are watching closely, but probably makes sense on balance.

If Classe are going to major on Airplay, as the parent group B&W do, they may also be under legal restriction from Apple as to when they can speak up. As you know Apple are intensely strict about pre-announcement leaks - maybe there's some iTunes related things this is linked to.

Personally I think it's a great product even if they never get round to the ethernet connection, but it would be good to know what's happening soon.

Comment

• 8bitAudio
                                          • Feb 2012

I guess end-of-year could be any year. Maybe 2013 is the one.

I believe that Airplay is implemented by using a module or chip that provides the functionality. Probably something like this SMSC Jukeblox Technology

Comment

• Tweir
                                            • Oct 2006

I have not heard of anyone wanting to use airplay on the cp-800. As most will hook up their mac mini or pc equivalent directly to the cp-800 and use airplay for lesser devices throughout the home. Have you have tried to advance a track on a airplay device it takes about 20 to 30 seconds. A computer hooked directly to the cp-800 will give you instant skipping or advancement of the next track... If somebody is not willing to buy a CP-800 based on its ability of having or not having airplay I think they would need to rethink what they are trying to do...

Comment

• 8bitAudio
                                              • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Tweir
                                              I have not heard of anyone wanting to use airplay on the cp-800. As most will hook up their mac mini or pc equivalent directly to the cp-800 and use airplay for lesser devices throughout the home. Have you have tried to advance a track on a airplay device it takes about 20 to 30 seconds. A computer hooked directly to the cp-800 will give you instant skipping or advancement of the next track... If somebody is not willing to buy a CP-800 based on its ability of having or not having airplay I think they would need to rethink what they are trying to do...
                                              Good point Tweir. I'm about to hookup a new AppleTV and experiment with the wonderful (?) world of Airplay.

I would like to see an app like the one Sonos has for the iPhone/iPad/Android device/PC/Mac that would allow quickly browsing a library of music (located on my network) and play it through the great DACs on the CP800. I see no need for using the touchscreen on the CP800 for this.

Although perhaps creating playlists that I could launch from the touchscreen would be nice.

Comment

• rgbyhkr
                                                • Sep 2009

I'd agree that the CP-800 customer and the customer interested in AirPlay are not likely to have much crossover at all. Then again, Classe made a big deal about the inclusion of the iPod specific front USB port and how good playback sounds via that path. You could have easily made the argument that a high end Pre/DAC like this was not going to be bought by people who wanted to connect their iPod to it. Usage has changed over time and I think they were responding to such changing trends, even amongst the audiophile crowd. As such, the inclusion of AirPlay may not be as far fetched as it appears on first glance. If nothing else, it's a nice checkbox they get to mark. From my point of view, if they do any amount of work to add something like UPnP for streaming playback over the ethernet port, they should also throw in AirPlay. It has its warts, but the user experience is far better than most other solutions of its type, specifically for those who are technically challenged.

Of course, like any company Classe must and should evaluate whether any upgrades are worth their time and effort. You could say that given the strong sales numbers we keep hearing about for the CP-800, why bother doing anything at all? If it's already selling, there may not be enough reason to mess with it. That would seem especially true if the upgrade were free for existing customers.

Separately, I disagree with your comment about track advance. In my network at least, the response time isn't anywhere near that long - more like 2-3 seconds. Is it as instantaneous as a direct connection from an external source directly to the CP-800? No. But it's extremely usable.

Jeff

Comment

• Tweir
                                                  • Oct 2006

I'd agree that the CP-800 customer and the customer interested in AirPlay are not likely to have much crossover at all. Then again, Classe made a big deal about the inclusion of the iPod specific front USB port and how good playback sounds via that path. You could have easily made the argument that a high end Pre/DAC like this was not going to be bought by people who wanted to connect their iPod to it. Usage has changed over time and I think they were responding to such changing trends, even amongst the audiophile crowd. As such, the inclusion of AirPlay may not be as far fetched as it appears on first glance. If nothing else, it's a nice checkbox they get to mark. From my point of view, if they do any amount of work to add something like UPnP for streaming playback over the ethernet port, they should also throw in AirPlay. It has its warts, but the user experience is far better than most other solutions of its type, specifically for those who are technically challenged.

Of course, like any company Classe must and should evaluate whether any upgrades are worth their time and effort. You could say that given the strong sales numbers we keep hearing about for the CP-800, why bother doing anything at all? If it's already selling, there may not be enough reason to mess with it. That would seem especially true if the upgrade were free for existing customers.

Separately, I disagree with your comment about track advance. In my network at least, the response time isn't anywhere near that long - more like 2-3 seconds. Is it as instantaneous as a direct connection from an external source directly to the CP-800? No. But it's extremely usable.

Jeff
                                                  For me the usb input on the front is great for the times that friends come over and maybe they have some tracks on their iphone and want me to hear them or simply they have music they want to hear on the system. But other than that I would think most would have their computer hooked up and have full access to their music..

The advance of tracks in airplay is around 2 to 10 seconds in my mind it seems longer. The problem I have with airplay is when you have more than one airplay device the track advancement is slow for all the airplay devices. Compared to having your computer hooked directly to the cp-800 the advancement is instant. To me this is a big advantage since the older way of listening to music was to put in a cd and listen then get up and change cd's. With the music on the computer there is no pause just instant access to your library. Very convenient for skipping thru your library on your reference system and searching for songs that have deep bass or very warm vocals giving you the ability to quickly point out the differences in songs and make your play-lists around that ability...

Also with apple there is some differences with what airplay presents to you. On the airport express I get 44.1k to the final component and the apple tv is 48k as the only output up-sampling every 44.1k file to 48k. We would want this process to be handled by the DAC in the cp-800 not in the apple tv. Not sure about other airplay devices like the zepplin or av receivers. This is the reason why I am a bigger supporter of SONOS as they give you the file as it is not altering and access to SPOTIFY, Pandora, XM/SIRUS and many more the apple way only gives you access to Itunes, Internet Raido and at a up-sampled 48k..

Comment

• rgbyhkr
                                                    • Sep 2009

For me the usb input on the front is great for the times that friends come over and maybe they have some tracks on their iphone and want me to hear them or simply they have music they want to hear on the system. But other than that I would think most would have their computer hooked up and have full access to their music..
                                                    I agree with the convenience element of that front USB port for when guests come over. AirPlay could be used for that same exact reason. The Zeppelin Air app that B&W released takes this another step forward by giving multiple users the chance to collectively DJ wirelessly. Is the CP-800 the same kind of piece you would do this with? No, but I can see Classe including it because they've already gone down the AirPlay road with the Zeppelin line.

The advance of tracks in airplay is around 2 to 10 seconds in my mind it seems longer. The problem I have with airplay is when you have more than one airplay device the track advancement is slow for all the airplay devices. Compared to having your computer hooked directly to the cp-800 the advancement is instant. To me this is a big advantage since the older way of listening to music was to put in a cd and listen then get up and change cd's. With the music on the computer there is no pause just instant access to your library. Very convenient for skipping thru your library on your reference system and searching for songs that have deep bass or very warm vocals giving you the ability to quickly point out the differences in songs and make your play-lists around that ability...
                                                    Again, I haven't experienced delays like that, but I could see multi-zone scenarios contributing to it. Interestingly, since I see the CP-800 used more in dedicated setups, I would think that the usage of AirPlay in it might be heavily favored for single zone. Of course, that doesn't prevent the user from connecting any number of additional sources to the CP-800. All including it does is offer some value add which the user can make use of or totally ignore.

Also with apple there is some differences with what airplay presents to you. On the airport express I get 44.1k to the final component and the apple tv is 48k as the only output up-sampling every 44.1k file to 48k. We would want this process to be handled by the DAC in the cp-800 not in the apple tv. Not sure about other airplay devices like the zepplin or av receivers. This is the reason why I am a bigger supporter of SONOS as they give you the file as it is not altering and access to SPOTIFY, Pandora, XM/SIRUS and many more the apple way only gives you access to Itunes, Internet Raido and at a up-sampled 48k..
                                                    I don't know for sure but based on some Google searching, it looks like the AirPlay standard limits the transmission to 44/16. My guess is that Apple chose a locked output sample rate for the ATV at 48 for reasons I could see related to both video as the primary function as well as cost containment and minimizing software complexity. I haven't seen mention of the standard forcing any kind of up-sampling, so it appears that an originated 44/16 signal processed by the recipient AirPlay device as such. There's certainly an argument to be made that if a user wants AirPlay at all, the internal path would be the shortest route and with the quality of implementation Classe puts into the units, would probably be the best sound you could get over the standard anyway.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying that I think they need to put AirPlay in, I just think that they very well could if they bother with activating the ethernet port at all.

Jeff

Comment

• 8bitAudio
                                                      • Feb 2012

I agree with the convenience element of that front USB port for when guests come over. AirPlay could be used for that same exact reason. The Zeppelin Air app that B&W released takes this another step forward by giving multiple users the chance to collectively DJ wirelessly. Is the CP-800 the same kind of piece you would do this with? No, but I can see Classe including it because they've already gone down the AirPlay road with the Zeppelin line.
                                                      I think that Airplay is currently implemented using a module or chip from BridgeCo (now SMSC). Unfortunately putting in Airplay gets you this solution which may not be optimal for network streaming besides Airplay. I've seen some anecdotal evidence of high jitter when doing network streaming with the BridgeCo module.

On my ATV3 Airplay seems to work fairly well, dependant on the speed of my overall network. The bitrate is 48khz on the ATV3, 44.1 on my Boxee (using Ariplay). This seems to be the case even when I try to stream something encoded at a higher rate. There's currently no way to see where the rate conversion is being done, at least I can't pin it down.

Comment

• rgbyhkr
                                                        • Sep 2009

Just an FYI - I talked to a tech support rep from Classe today who confirmed a few things for me:

- The USB upgrade (192) is coming sometime over the Summer.
                                                        - The upgrade will be hardware and software
                                                        - The upgrade will not be free, but no price has yet been confirmed.
                                                        - New units made after that time will include the upgrade.
                                                        - As a result, the CP-800 will have a higher retail price and the cost for existing units to be upgraded will only be the difference between the current and new retail price.
                                                        - The Ethernet port functionality may come at the same time, but that's not clear at this point.
                                                        - AirPlay is planned to be included in the Ethernet functionality.

Comment

• slauten
                                                          • Aug 2011

Good info! Hope the updates are this summer and affordable.

See Ya,
                                                          Steve

Comment

• 8bitAudio
                                                            • Feb 2012

I have a feeling that we won't see the 192 this year and the ethernet may be on a new product. But this is speculation.

Does anyone know what SOC (processor) Classe is using as the USB interface?

Comment

• rgbyhkr
                                                              • Sep 2009

Does anyone know what SOC (processor) Classe is using as the USB interface?
                                                              I didn't see that mentioned in the white paper, but if you haven't seen it yet and want some additional details about the unit:

Comment

• 8bitAudio
                                                                • Feb 2012

I didn't see that mentioned in the white paper, but if you haven't seen it yet and want some additional details about the unit:

http://www.classeaudio.com/downloads...per-final2.pdf
                                                                Thanks, I'll read through it.

Comment

• Stevebez
                                                                  • Oct 2003

airplay v usb

I think airplay is way more usefull than a USB connection. Its transformed my music at home. I can also stream lossless files from my NAS via airplay which is just brilliant, while I have compressed on the Iphone.

I dont see the massive advantage of the USB over airplay when frankly most music kept on USB music devices (Ipods and phones) are compressed. Sure you can store lossless but u wont get much of your library on it.

The CP800 needs to talk to a NAS which has lossless files, either via airplay or some other means, although airplay works very well indeed.

Would be handy seeing this functionality in the SSP800! Or is that asking too much? That would make the SSP800 the all talking, all walking processor out there, bar none?

Comment

• 8bitAudio
                                                                    Junior Member
                                                                    • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Stevebez

The CP800 needs to talk to a NAS which has lossless files, either via airplay or some other means, although airplay works very well indeed.

Would be handy seeing this functionality in the SSP800! Or is that asking too much? That would make the SSP800 the all talking, all walking processor out there, bar none?
                                                                    All great points. Airplay for some and lossless for more serious music. I guess that whatever comes after the SSP800 would include USB and network connectivity being developed now. I don't really see the point of USB but thats just me.

I really don't know what the bitrate limitations are for Airplay.

Comment

• wettou
                                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                                      • May 2006

don't really see the point of USB but thats just me.
                                                                      To plug in a mac mini

I really don't know what the bitrate limitations are for Airplay.
                                                                      CD quality that's all

Apple TV which, despite having a 48/16 optical output, also streams at 44/16 when used with iTunes, iPod, etc.

This means that any 48/16 or higher content you may have will first be downsampled to 44/16 by iTunes

Comment

• 8bitAudio
                                                                        Junior Member
                                                                        • Feb 2012

Originally posted by wettou
                                                                        To plug in a mac mini

CD quality that's all

Apple TV which, despite having a 48/16 optical output, also streams at 44/16 when used with iTunes, iPod, etc.

This means that any 48/16 or higher content you may have will first be downsampled to 44/16 by iTunes
                                                                        I was wondering more the theoretical limits vs current Apple implementations. I see that Airplay to my AppleTV (HDMI out) is always 48khz.

I found this discussion over in tha Apple forums:
                                                                        Originally posted by CypherLabs
                                                                        Question: "Will AirPlay stream up to 96/24 or 192/24 or will it downsample everything to 44/16 even if the receiving device is caple of higher resolution playback?"

Answer: Airplay will stream the 24/96 content to receiving devices like the Marantz NA7004, but only from your computer, not from one of the portable Apple devices. Those portable devices, like the iPhone and iPad are internally limited to 16/44. You can use your iPhone or iPad to control the content streaming from the computer to the receiver.
                                                                        Further questions to the original poster didn't elicit any further answers.

Comment

• 8bitAudio
                                                                          Junior Member
                                                                          • Feb 2012

With a bit more Googling around this was found:

Possibility for Airplay/AirTunes to Airport Express with Hi-Res Audio

Its a very interesting discussion about where the conversions are done using Airplay and AppleTV / Airport Express.

To make a long story short (but read the story, it's pretty good)

Itunes converts to 16/44.1 when sending to Airplay devices.
                                                                          Airport Express uses that without re-sampling.
                                                                          ATV2 resamples to 48khz. So hi-res streams to an ATV2 will be downsampled to 16/44.1 then upsampled to 16/48. Not a great outcome.

Link to chart

The writer experimented with sending 24/96 streams to an Airport Express (noise resulted).

It looks like there may be no technical reason why not to have high resolution Airplay from a computer to the CP800. Not saying it will, but it might.

Comment

• wettou
                                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                                            • May 2006
                                                                            • 3389

I was wondering more the theoretical limits vs current Apple implementations. I see that Airplay to my AppleTV (HDMI out) is always 48khz. I found this discussion over in tha Apple forums: Further questions to the original poster didn't elicit any further answers.
                                                                            Theories :W How good does it do if you can't apply it . Rumours were that Apple would release music in high def I wonder if we will ever see it

Comment

• 8bitAudio
                                                                              Junior Member
                                                                              • Feb 2012
                                                                              • 26

#39
                                                                              Originally posted by wettou
                                                                              Theories :W How good does it do if you can't apply it . Rumours were that Apple would release music in high def I wonder if we will ever see it
                                                                              Neil Young: Jobs’s Death Slowed Apple’s High-Def Music Efforts

Comment

• christmas
                                                                                Junior Member
                                                                                • Nov 2011
                                                                                • 5

#40
                                                                                have to say that i feel a little betrayed.
                                                                                i bought the CP-800 because of the ethernet plug and i was expecting as announced a software upgrade last year.
                                                                                If i knew that this wasn't happening i would have never bought it.
                                                                                still today there is no date and i am struggling with flac files, bit rate, gapless, players,mac and so on to get a decent result in a effortless way.
                                                                                i should have spent the money on a linn ds, a ps dac or soemthing similiar and enjoyed my time listening to the music not at fixing problems.

Comment

• rgbyhkr
                                                                                  Member
                                                                                  • Sep 2009
                                                                                  • 60

#41
                                                                                  Originally posted by christmas
                                                                                  i bought the CP-800 because of the ethernet plug and i was expecting as announced a software upgrade last year.
                                                                                  If i knew that this wasn't happening i would have never bought it.
                                                                                  still today there is no date and i am struggling with flac files, bit rate, gapless, players,mac and so on to get a decent result in a effortless way.
                                                                                  i should have spent the money on a linn ds, a ps dac or soemthing similiar and enjoyed my time listening to the music not at fixing problems.
                                                                                  I feel for you on this. The digital domain for music has gotten very, very complicated. Additionally, the inclusion of the ethernet port on the CP-800 is certainly a promise which has not yet been fulfilled and I would have thought that the upgrade would have come sooner than this. I'm also hearing that the ethernet port upgrade will come at the same time as the USB upgrade that will require hardware. I hope that they don't require the hardware just to get the ethernet port functionality (for users who only want that piece). If they did, that would be disappointing to existing users as the USB upgrade will be a paid one.

I would also caution you on hoping/expecting that the ethernet port's activation will solve your challenges. To this point, we don't know yet what type of functionality the port's activation will open up. I've heard AirPlay for sure, but have no idea if they will also choose to support DLNA. Even if they do support the latter, I would not expect a device like this to offer a great music streaming UI. It's an additional feature vs. being the core of the product and my experience has been that such implementations usually leave a lot to be desired. A good UI takes an awful lot of work and even many dedicated playback streamers don't get it right. Format support is also an issue whereby you might feel let down by what formats they include support for, again assuming that they go the DLNA route.

I'm sure it's not the news you want to hear, but I figured you would be better served by this than potentially false hopes.

Comment

• mjb
                                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                                    • Mar 2005
                                                                                    • 1483

#42
                                                                                    It was released before the ethernet was ready, and I've learnt, don't buy anything on a promise.
                                                                                    and i am struggling with flac files, bit rate, gapless, players,mac and so on to get a decent result in a effortless way.
                                                                                    Apple has poor FLAC support. As you're using a Mac, convert your files to Apple-lossless and solve a lot of the problems. Hook your Mac to the CCP800 via USB, and you should get excellent results. You can even control it using the iPad/iPhone Remote app, a great GUI.
                                                                                    - Mike

Main System:
                                                                                    B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                                                                                    Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• 8bitAudio
                                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                                      • Feb 2012
                                                                                      • 26

#43
                                                                                      I don't believe that the ethernet port on the CP800 has any real connection internally. It may terminate on the USB board but there isn't any network hardware currently. So additional hardware will be required. And software.

As far as the Mac and FLAC I use Decibel as a player. Converting to ALAC wasn't an option as none of my media players support it. There's also audirvana. I've been using the free version but there's a pay one available that offers iTunes integration. I haven't tried it so can't comment.

Comment

• rgbyhkr
                                                                                        Member
                                                                                        • Sep 2009
                                                                                        • 60

#44
                                                                                        I don't believe that the ethernet port on the CP800 has any real connection internally. It may terminate on the USB board but there isn't any network hardware currently. So additional hardware will be required. And software.
                                                                                        I'm wondering now what the MSRP increase and corresponding upgrade price will be. I hope it's not in the neighborhood of $500-$1000, but I'm starting to wonder if that's exactly what it will be given that they may offer the USB and ethernet upgrades at the same time. That makes the upgrade process cleaner and lets them better justify whatever cost they come up with (both for the upgrade as well as the MSRP bump). Separately, I wonder how many existing owners are assuming that the ethernet upgrade would be free? I wonder further if any dealers suggested as much to prospective customers. From the manual:

"Ethernet Connector
                                                                                        This connector is provided for an optional hardware module that will be
                                                                                        made available in the future. It is inoperable until the optional module has
                                                                                        been installed. "

That certainly indicates hardware and the use of "optional" suggests a cost involved. Hopefully, those who bought the CP-800 with a big interest in the ethernet functionality are well aware that there will be a cost associated with it.

Comment

• mjb
                                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                                          • Mar 2005
                                                                                          • 1483

#45
                                                                                          Good points rgbyhkr, and PC NIC cards start at $4.99 on Amazon.
                                                                                          - Mike

Main System:
                                                                                          B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                                                                                          Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"