X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wettou
    Ultra Senior Member
    • May 2006

Originally posted by aarsoe
    In general accelerated lifespan test for electronics are done by raising the temperature. A single degrees increase will reduce the expected lifetime by 50%. Now that applies to Computers so don't know if it is directly transferable to power amps but I would not be surprised to be told that the main reason to implement active cooling is warrenty cost, with a bonus based on a narrower temperature operating range that most likely also does give some sonic benefit...
    Right!
    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• wettou
      Ultra Senior Member
      • May 2006

Originally posted by beden1
      The CA3200 has been discontinued. Classe told me last month that they only had about 8 units left.

I wonder why they discontinue their only 3 channel amp when they are coming out with a 3 channel preamp?
      What a shame!!
      Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• denosya
        • Mar 2010

I have a SSP-800 and a CDP-202. In my opinion, the CDP-202 has much better sound than the SSP-800's DAC (analog XLR vs lossless stereo).

I think (I hope) that the CP-800 will sound more like the CDP-202 and less like the SSP-800. Question of taste I guess...

Comment

• Sasha99
          • Dec 2010

DAC in CP-800

Good day from Ottawa, Canada
          I am shoping for new preamp and DAC, have already CA-2200 and would like to stay with Classe product.
          I read your comment and it does make sense toward the basic principles of enginering, you put combined products in one box at the certain price point and the top quality will probably suffer.
          My qeustion is, did you have a chance to listen to CP 800 DAC? or Did you have a chance to see specs? I am looking for it right now.
          It would be interesting to know, at which price point does it compare to the external DAC's?

Thanks

Sasha

Originally posted by caberxx
          Of course, we'll have to wait and see about the CP800. As I haven't listened to it yet, I probably really shouldn't comment. But I will anyway. My point was simply that Classe seems to have moved the Delta series down market, trying to do more for less. That may make sense for a most people, but the sacrafice to sound quality will, I'm certain, be a disappointment to those that crave the ultimate in 2 channel sound. The DAC in the CP800 is nothing close to that in the CDP202. And simple basics tell me that a preamp that is loaded down with a whole bunch of digital processing inside the same box, and that shares a power supply with a DAC and processor, simply won't be as pure. I'm sure the CP800 will sound great and will make many people very happy. However, I was really hoping Classe would come out with a digital player that was of comparable high end to the CP700. Perhaps they will in the Omega series. Otherwise, I'll end up going elsewhere, which is sad - I really like the look of the Delta series equipment.

Comment

• Sharp 1080
            • Dec 2009

Originally posted by denosya
            I have a SSP-800 and a CDP-202. In my opinion, the CDP-202 has much better sound than the SSP-800's DAC (analog XLR vs lossless stereo).

I think (I hope) that the CP-800 will sound more like the CDP-202 and less like the SSP-800. Question of taste I guess...
            Are they better(need a more detailed description) or different sounding? I'm assuming eveything was level matched and repeated at least twice using the same source cables and demo material when comparing? The reason I asked is I compared my Ayre CX-7e's DAC using XLR bypassed to the SSP and could live with either one but ended up using the Classe's DAC's for CD playback. In my system the Classe presents a better top to bottom soundstage with more detail out of the recording.The Ayre sounds a tad smoother in the mids and highs

Comment

• Talos2000
              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by wettou
              I saw the video from Dave N and found very interesting the statements that were made

“Using full resolution files and one of its USB inputs, the CP-800 can surpass the performance of conventional disc playback systems,” says Nauber. “When the innovative audio circuitry and power supply designs are factored in, the CP-800 becomes a ground-breaking new product with unmatched performance at an affordable price.” ($5000)

Orange County's premier destination for high-end audio video, home theater system, high end hi-fi audio and smart home automation. Stop by our store today!

I intend to buy one and will let you know as soon as I receive it :T
              I also have ordered the CP-800 (and a CA-2300). I'll post my first impressions here when I receive them.

Comment

• wettou
                Ultra Senior Member
                • May 2006

Originally posted by Talos2000
                I also have ordered the CP-800 (and a CA-2300). I'll post my first impressions here when I receive them.
                Very nice please let us know, I believe a preamp is unnecessary for stereo music, just plug a High resolution computer-independent analog level control, and your amps to the source is all one needs.

I have this set up with my 803s, CA-2100 and my Sony SACD player and it works extremely well :T Saved myself $5000!

Comment

• mjb
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by wettou
                  I believe a preamp is unnecessary for ANALOG stereo music, just plug a High resolution computer-independent analog level control, and your amps to the source is all one needs.

I have this set up with my 803s, CA-2100 and my Sony SACD player and it works extremely well :T Saved myself $5000!

Yes, I agree.
                  An analog pre-amp is a variable attenuator with some source switching circuitry, preferably with remote control, and some impedance matching. All this can be done passively. But start adding some digital stuff and things get very different.
                  - Mike

Main System:
                  B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                  Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• aarsoe
                    • May 2004

did anyone ever figure out how you would HT pass through if you had a sub attached to the CP-800? Can you pass through the Sub signal?

Comment

• Talos2000
                      • Jan 2011

I have a CP-800

I have had my CP-800 for a few months now. The system I use it in is pure 2-ch audio, though. I think it is a fantastic sounding pre-amp, and although I do not have a CDP-202 to audition directly, I had the chance to do that when I bought it, and I could not tell any significant difference between what I heard directly from the CDP-202 played through the analog inputs of the CP-800, and the same CD ripped to FLAC and played through the USB input.

Since that time, what I have learned is that the computer software (including the OS) makes a substantial impact on the sound you will hear.

I am using a ca-2009 MacBook Pro 17", with 8GB RAM, as my computer source. I mention this because I can boot it into either Windows 7 or OS/X. I will make two observations. (1) the system sounds dramatically better under OS/X than Windows (and there are apparently good reasons for that), and (2) You can easily detect differences between playback software in either configuration.

The CP-800 is a real winner, and I think it deserves a very serious listen from anybody in the market for a modern no-compromise preamplifier.

Comment

• londoner
                        • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Talos2000
                        I am using a ca-2009 MacBook Pro 17", with 8GB RAM, as my computer source. I mention this because I can boot it into either Windows 7 or OS/X. I will make two observations. (1) the system sounds dramatically better under OS/X than Windows (and there are apparently good reasons for that), and (2) You can easily detect differences between playback software in either configuration.
                        Out of interest, what playback software and configuration are you using in each case?

Comment

• style
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Feb 2006

I have had my CP-800 for a few months now. The system I use it in is pure 2-ch audio, though. I think it is a fantastic sounding pre-amp, and although I do not have a CDP-202 to audition directly, I had the chance to do that when I bought it, and I could not tell any significant difference between what I heard directly from the CDP-202 played through the analog inputs of the CP-800, and the same CD ripped to FLAC and played through the USB input. Since that time, what I have learned is that the computer software (including the OS) makes a substantial impact on the sound you will hear. I am using a ca-2009 MacBook Pro 17", with 8GB RAM, as my computer source. I mention this because I can boot it into either Windows 7 or OS/X. I will make two observations. (1) the system sounds dramatically better under OS/X than Windows (and there are apparently good reasons for that), and (2) You can easily detect differences between playback software in either configuration. The CP-800 is a real winner, and I think it deserves a very serious listen from anybody in the market for a modern no-compromise preamplifier.
                          I agree 100%: the CP800 is really the future.

Classe self say that a cd palyer in not at the level from what you go have from the Cp800 and a Apple.

I think Talos use Itunes. the Flac codec is the top, but with the apple losless the new cp800 work very fine.

at and ogf the your will be available too a pre phono for the cp800 :

this make a pre "open" at all source availale with great performance in analog and digital!

Style

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"