X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wettou
    Ultra Senior Member
    • May 2006

CP-800 Owners

I saw the video from Dave N and found very interesting the statements that were made

“Using full resolution files and one of its USB inputs, the CP-800 can surpass the performance of conventional disc playback systems,” says Nauber. “When the innovative audio circuitry and power supply designs are factored in, the CP-800 becomes a ground-breaking new product with unmatched performance at an affordable price.” ($5000)

Orange County's premier destination for high-end audio video, home theater system, high end hi-fi audio and smart home automation. Stop by our store today!

I intend to buy one and will let you know as soon as I receive it :T
    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower
  • aarsoe
    • May 2004

I would asume that you could do the same using a HRT Musicstreamer to any pre.
    To put it in a different way - USB as a "music" connection device is still in its infancy. I feel confident that better chips and design will emerge. That is not to subtract anything from the cp-800 but I would be carefull about selling the usb connection as the only big advantage.. Analouge connections is still just as important, if not more than ever - especially for those of us that is still into vinyl..

Comment

• wettou
      Ultra Senior Member
      • May 2006

Originally posted by aarsoe
      I would asume that you could do the same using a HRT Musicstreamer to any pre. To put it in a different way - USB as a "music" connection device is still in its infancy. I feel confident that better chips and design will emerge. That is not to subtract anything from the cp-800 but I would be carefull about selling the usb connection as the only big advantage.. Analouge connections is still just as important, if not more than ever - especially for those of us that is still into vinyl..
      Vinyl is not practical for me and with high resolution Flac files it surpasses Vinyl 10/1. Vinyl for me is a thing of the past, yes nostalgia is great but I live in the future :T
      Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Skyblue
        • Jun 2009

I have the ayre qb9 at $2500 usb dac, it surpassed only by very good cd players in and around $10k+. I guess if you built it into the preamp directly, you could get even better sound.

Also, I agree with aarsoe. Computer audio is still in its infancy. In almost all areas computers have revolitionized how things are done and what it costs. I'm fairly certain that in 10 years, class A, tubes and vinyl will be collecters items fondly remembered, but not bought by any but the very sofisticated audiophiles.
        B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• gerardhn
          • Jun 2005

Skyblue,

Yes things on the storage side of music did and wil change: LP --->CD----> HD (hard disc).

But pre/end amplifiers never changed! I mean fundamentally.

Still, for me, "old" FM radio is far superior to all digital broadcast stuff.

So for me things change yes, but some things just stay.

Comment

• Antonkk
            • Jan 2010

What about the sonic difference vs CP 700? Is it gonna sound any better?

Comment

• Skyblue
              • Jun 2009

Originally posted by gerardhn
              Skyblue,

Yes things on the storage side of music did and wil change: LP --->CD----> HD (hard disc).

But pre/end amplifiers never changed! I mean fundamentally.

Still, for me, "old" FM radio is far superior to all digital broadcast stuff.

So for me things change yes, but some things just stay.
              We are still in the beginning. I have high hopes for the icepower technology, and computers are now heavily involved in designing and measuring power supplys, speakers, amps and pres. I think amps are next, but pre's are increasingly fitted with room correction and other computational gizmos designed to improve the sound. I dont think separates will disappear, but as they become more and more digital, you might as well, buy a complete 10channel surround system pre/amps in a box. We are almost there, and in the not so distant future, I think they will sound better than the current highend systems. Simply because computers will allow us to shape the soundwaves better.
              B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• wettou
                Ultra Senior Member
                • May 2006

I find interesting that a company like Linn who designed the first high end turntables and some of the finest CD players in the world has dropped all of that to move to music servers.

Klimax DS is the world’s finest digital stream player.

"This new generation of music player outperforms any CD player and reveals a whole new world of sound from your CD and music download collection. Plus, for the first time, hear recording studio quality in your home and enjoy breakthrough convenience that lets you instantly manage all of your music your way…you’ll never go back! "

In addition
                Linn is named ‘Label of the Year’

Comment

• beden1
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Oct 2006

Originally posted by wettou
                  Vinyl is not practical for me and with high resolution Flac files it surpasses Vinyl 10/1. Vinyl for me is a thing of the past, yes nostalgia is great but I live in the future :T
                  You sound like you were never into vinyl to say that high resolution flac files surpasses the sound 10/1.

I am in the process of going back to vinyl and setting up a stereo system. Even using my old turntable that I am replacing, I would say that the opposite is true of your sound comparisons.

I have a collection of 400+ albums, which used to be over 650 albums before my apartment got robbed shortly after graduating from college. The father of a good friend of mine owned a record and CD distribution company where they let me go in and buy whatever I wanted for $1.97 per album! :T

Maintaining and playing records is a PITA sometimes, but I have finally had enough of listening to the amped up BS that the studios have been cramming dowm our throats for too many years.

Keep your compressed digital enhanced crap and I'll be happily revisiting some excellent original recordings like they can only be truly heard.

Comment

• wettou
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • May 2006

Originally posted by beden1
                    Keep your compressed digital enhanced crap and I'll be happily revisiting some excellent original recordings like they can only be truly heard.
                    You call 24bit 192kHz "compressed digital enhanced crap" :E

Well maybe you owe it to yourself to download a few tracks and listen, also take a look at 2L on Blu Ray and then we will talk...

Anyway to each his own :lol:

Comment

• Antonkk
                      • Jan 2010

So bonus features aside will that one be an upgrade to CP700 as and old-fashion preamp (remember these? ) and will it cost more?

Comment

• RebelMan
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

You sound like you were never into vinyl to say that high resolution flac files surpasses the sound 10/1.

Maintaining and playing records is a PITA sometimes, but I have finally had enough of listening to the amped up BS that the studios have been cramming dowm our throats for too many years.

Your signature says it all... "Satisfaction comes with the understanding that everything in life is a compromise!" I'll take a little loudness compensation over snap-crackle-pop any day. Not to mention the tremendous conveniences that music servers provide over vinyl disks and turntables. Fortunately, the type of music I listen to is less subject to compression artifacts anyway so it's a bit more of a win-win for me to run digital plus it cooperates with room correction devices much better too.

Vinyl is awesome but I just find it too much trouble to bother with and I don't have the patience for it. Kudo's to those that do. The rewards are worth it.
                        "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Antonkk
                          • Jan 2010

So no word on street date?

Comment

• Nolan B
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Sep 2005

Originally posted by RebelMan
                            Your signature says it all... "Satisfaction comes with the understanding that everything in life is a compromise!" I'll take a little loudness compensation over snap-crackle-pop any day. Not to mention the tremendous conveniences that music servers provide over vinyl disks and turntables. Fortunately, the type of music I listen to is less subject to compression artifacts anyway so it's a bit more of a win-win for me to run digital plus it cooperates with room correction devices much better too.

Vinyl is awesome but I just find it too much trouble to bother with and I don't have the patience for it. Kudo's to those that do. The rewards are worth it.
                            The wife and i just got into vinyl for the first time a few months ago after coming across a collection in storage we inherited and finding someone that could supply us with mint B&O turntables and accessories. There is something to be said about the quality. Certainly it can be very good.

I would never trade the convenience or consistencies with digital, but vinyl offers something i have not perviously had...an interaction.

We have had vinyl parties, and played music we would have never even thought of or been able to play if we just stuck with cd or downloads.

It can be a pain after a while, but if it just left as a weekend thing or once in w while the trouble of spinning a record can be really satisfying.

Having said all that im sure all of you who lived through the age of vinyl being the only choice im sure you have had your dose of interaction and i don't blame you for ditching it.

Comment

• wettou
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • May 2006

I had a really large Vinyl Collection some time ago and I don't miss the pops and crakles.. Now one day I might go back to tubes and vinyl but for now I will stick with Studio Masters.

Comment

• alebonau
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Oct 2005

I had a really large Vinyl Collection some time ago and I don't miss the pops and crakles.. Now one day I might go back to tubes and vinyl but for now I will stick with Studio Masters.
                                Good for you. An appletv working off apple lossless you can buy for $100 you don't need a mega buck pre for that capability.

I have choice of convenience of digital from many a format. Can pick from all sorts of audio streaming, cd sacd, dvda, blu-ray disc, or DVD. Or I can play a vinyl if so is my desire from a music collection going back to discs from before I was born. Good luck finding any of that stuff on any digital format.

I can tell you as some have indicated already. Vinyl indeed has much attraction. Not just for it's sound but in it's use and as a medium as well. I if all you think of in regards vinyl as snap crackle and pop then you have a very closed mind with some very wrong preconceptions.

In as far as sonic capability, I can tell you some of the very best audio in some of the very top notch systems I have Ever heard is via vinyl, and you'll find many about whom believe the same. I'm talking music here, stuff you connect with. Maybe one day might question some of those preconceptions....
                                "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• wettou
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • May 2006

Originally posted by alebonau
                                  Good for you. An appletv working off apple lossless you can buy for $100 you don't need a mega buck pre for that capability.

I have choice of convenience of digital from many a format. Can pick from all sorts of audio streaming, cd sacd, dvda, blu-ray disc, or DVD. Or I can play a vinyl if so is my desire from a music collection going back to discs from before I was born. Good luck finding any of that stuff on any digital format.

I can tell you as some have indicated already. Vinyl indeed has much attraction. Not just for it's sound but in it's use and as a medium as well. I if all you think of in regards vinyl as snap crackle and pop then you have a very closed mind with some very wrong preconceptions.

In as far as sonic capability, I can tell you some of the very best audio in some of the very top notch systems I have Ever heard is via vinyl, and you'll find many about whom believe the same. I'm talking music here, stuff you connect with. Maybe one day might question some of those preconceptions....
                                  Once I am retired in 30 years I might go back to Vinyl and remember the good old time :B

Comment

• beden1
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Oct 2006

Once I am retired in 30 years I might go back to Vinyl and remember the good old time :B
                                    With comments like this (and others), I wonder if you are really like 16 years of age living in your parent's house and listening to your father's system?

Am I warm yet? :roll:

Comment

• aarsoe
                                      • May 2004

With comments like this (and others), I wonder if you are really like 16 years of age living in your parent's house and listening to your father's system?

Am I warm yet? :roll:
                                      That would mean retirement at the age of 46 - is that not a bit early, even for Florida.... 8)

Comment

• wettou
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • May 2006

With comments like this (and others), I wonder if you are really like 16 years of age living in your parent's house and listening to your father's system? Am I warm yet? :roll:
                                        How did you guess thank you, I just turned 13 :B

Comment

• Skyblue
                                          • Jun 2009

How did you guess thank you, I just turned 13 :B
                                          Nothing wrong with being 13 Appreciate the highs! And beware!! While breasts seemed tempting at the time, they can easely lead to crying babies which just doesn't combine very well with audiophilia.

Comment

• wettou
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • May 2006

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
                                            Originally posted by Skyblue
                                            Nothing wrong with being 13 Appreciate the highs! And beware!! While breasts seemed tempting at the time, they can easily lead to crying babies which just doesn't combine very well with audiophilia.
                                            :rofl::rofl:

That is so funny

Comment

• fourxmotion
                                              • Aug 2009

Is there any new news on the CP-800? I has hoping Rebel Man would have started the Official CP-800 Owners Thread by now with more exciting information.

Comment

• caberxx
                                                • Jan 2010

What he @$*& is Classe doing? It has spent years building a reputation for top end 2-channel audio equipment. In recent years, it has ventured into the multi-channel domain, which is understandable given where the market is these days. However, they continued to emphasize their 2-channel products and would not compromise those for the multi-channel market. They now seem to be looking to drum down their quality in an attempt to appeal to a broader audience. The business rational makes sense, as they'll gain more customers than they'll lose. Still, it's a real shame. When they came out with the SSP800, I feared this would happen. The SSP800 is a fantastic, high end multichannel processor. If you like movies, but still want really great stereo sound, the SSP800 is the best way to go. But, if you are willing to sacrafice movies and everything else for 2-channel, if you want all your eggs in the ultimate 2-channel basket, then the CP700 preamp is the way to go. To those that disagree, get your hearing checked. The SSP800 was a tremendous success for Classe, and they learned that far more people will buy a $7000 unit that does everything over an $8000 unit (the CP700) that doesn't. They caught the bug. Then came the new fan cooled amps. Have you ever heard of worse marketting BS? I mean, really. Fan cooled amps make a lot of sense in a rack, but that's it. Although tempertures of an amp may vary depending on volume and environment, these are pretty well known metrics. Most people have their amps in a room that's between 69 and 72 degrees. Most people seldom blast their units to the max, and the difference in voltage between low volume and somewhere in the middle is minute. The heatsinks should be made for these conditions. But, if you want to put your units in a rack, stack them, etc., the CT series was your alternative. But now they're using this critical temperture BS as a marketting ploy. Very sad. And people that want the ultimate in sound will be forced to have fans blowing all the time. Have you ever heard of a 100% silent fan? In my system, if I went new, I'd end up with 4 fans! And think of the dust in the unit - take a look at the cold air returns in your house and tell me what you see. And now, they've come up with this CP800. So let me get this staight, this $6000 unit replaces my $8000 CP700 and my $8000 CDP202, plus gives me an equalizer? Oh, and I can plug an iPod into it - oh goody. I think CD's are going to be a thing of the past sooner rather than later, and I was really looking forward to Classe coming out with something as a digital player that would be an upgrade to the CDP202. Bryston has a nice looking new unit, but it's not quite up to the 202 standard. Seems Classe is aiming to come in under Bryston. It's a real shame. I'm just glad I bought my Classe equipment when I did - before the marketting department at Classe assumed control from the engineers.

Comment

• gerardhn
                                                  • Jun 2005

Caberxx,
                                                  I can follow your thinking on the end amplifiers.
                                                  But I dont see your point on the CP800 from "let me get this straight".
                                                  Why are you not happy with the new pre amp? Ist worse than CP7800? You paid too much for the 700 in the past with less possibilities???

Comment

• style
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Feb 2006

I agree with gerardhn.

Sorry caberxx, the SSP800 is THE processor for HT. yes other brands have a processor in the catalogue but to have the same performances delivery from the SSP800 you muss invest a lot more $$$...

The CP800 is a great "evolution and reponse Classé" from the "people desire"!!
                                                    A lot of purist dont will/search a precessor Audio/Video but only Audio and the CP800 is the response from Classé.
                                                    wish list: a source like a juke box with a great sound quality. this is what the 70% of the High End fans will in the rack!
                                                    new source like "sooloos" or more simple like the Apple products with a preampli that go in the same direction!

In europe the HT is a "product/system" that began a descent into sales.
                                                    The two channels is more desired..(wanted)
                                                    Sell a 2-channel amplifier (quality product) is much easier than selling a multi amp! this is the truth......

Style

Comment

• caberxx
                                                      • Jan 2010

Of course, we'll have to wait and see about the CP800. As I haven't listened to it yet, I probably really shouldn't comment. But I will anyway. My point was simply that Classe seems to have moved the Delta series down market, trying to do more for less. That may make sense for a most people, but the sacrafice to sound quality will, I'm certain, be a disappointment to those that crave the ultimate in 2 channel sound. The DAC in the CP800 is nothing close to that in the CDP202. And simple basics tell me that a preamp that is loaded down with a whole bunch of digital processing inside the same box, and that shares a power supply with a DAC and processor, simply won't be as pure. I'm sure the CP800 will sound great and will make many people very happy. However, I was really hoping Classe would come out with a digital player that was of comparable high end to the CP700. Perhaps they will in the Omega series. Otherwise, I'll end up going elsewhere, which is sad - I really like the look of the Delta series equipment.

Comment

• gerardhn
                                                        • Jun 2005

Caberxx
                                                        clear, lets wait till cp 800 is there.
                                                        maybe we get more for less??? lets hope.

Comment

• Alaric
                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                          • Jan 2006

I'm fairly certain that in 10 years, class A, tubes and vinyl will be collecters items fondly remembered, but not bought by any but the very sofisticated audiophiles
                                                          I think I heard that about 10 years ago...In fact , I think I heard that when the CD was introduced. :B
                                                          Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                                          Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                                          Schiit Modi 3
                                                          Marantz CD5005
                                                          Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Srrndhound
                                                            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by caberxx
                                                            And simple basics tell me that a preamp that is loaded down with a whole bunch of digital processing inside the same box, and that shares a power supply with a DAC and processor, simply won't be as pure.

I was really hoping Classe would come out with a digital player that was of comparable high end to the CP700.
                                                            So, you feel that having a little bit of digital in the box is ok, but not a lot? If you believe the CP700 can achieve high end performance, then that seems to prove that the mere presence of digital circuitry is an insufficient basis to condemn the CP800. Now if what you seek is an exclusively analog signal path from input to output, the CP800 is the wrong choice.

the sacrafice to sound quality will, I'm certain, be a disappointment to those that crave the ultimate in 2 channel sound.
                                                            There are contradictions in defining "the ultimate." To some, it means the elimination of anything but the essential signal path. To others, it means the elimination of impediments in the playback system--the loss of bass, loss of smooth response--things that DSP processing helps fix with proper bass management or EQ that cannot be easily fixed in other ways. One must define their version of nirvana prior to shopping.

Comment

• style
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Feb 2006

Hi caberxx,

I don't think that the CP800 will be a "delusion" or a "step down" from Classé.

Classé is a great Brand and make a choice: or see what "potentiality" from a future consumer (not a $$$ whitout end..) or make a product at the same level (Top product inside - not all the world can pay/buy a SSP800& CAxx00!)
                                                              -> and are great product!! not entry level or can without problem (ingenier are available!!) and go with a preampil 2 (really is 3 channel the CP800..)
                                                              and say : well, this tis the top preampi today available: price $. 80'000.-.

is too a marketing "think" or I sell 1 super pre or I make a pre, Top (and the CP800 - without listen - up and up the CP700!) thath the brand fans can/HAVE the possibility to buy with great sound.
                                                              the CP700 (like the SSP600) is present from alot of year in the Classé catalogue and the tecnologie run! a plasma 5 yaers ago was ex. $. 5000.- now with 2000.- you have a better product!
                                                              same with the SSP600: today you can have a NEW SSP600 rest of magazin for $. 3000.-!! and the start price was Very higher (8000?!?)

DAC & CP800: the DAC is a point very personal and complex/complicate.
                                                              one part of 2 channel "fans" are Pro Dac extern and the other for a "all-in" , a system with the minimun and essential "unit-gear" to have the Best sound!
                                                              ALL is a personal taste...: I can have a cd player, a cd transporter AND the "dedicate Dac" (we speak from player around the 40'000$.!!! 8O - example a cd-Dac combo Weiss-Médéa)
                                                              or you can go with a cd player not a transport= cd with dac inside
                                                              the first is better as the second? is not so easy reponse at this question.

The CP700 is at the same level (in stereo) from the SSP800: this is sure and is not my opinion....

the CP800 is a product very "opend to the future! " a future the is very near not in 3-5 years: we speak from max. 12months.

Perosnallly I have a SSP800 ( and I have sell my first SSP800 to go for a CP700 or other brand, a Nagra PL-L was in my mind) but after listen this and the other a second SSP800 is in my rack! and is a very good investment sure don't waste money.....

is a very long discussion and the point the be and points to consider are so many ... too many!
                                                              nirvana for every single person is really too different to generalize, but one thing (in my opinion) is clear:
                                                              ClasséAudio has seen long and the CP800 is a great "solution" for those who want a 2 or 3 channels with really high-end performance.
                                                              (the CP800 is a 3 channel preampli: in every good profi center is with 3 front speakers not 2 .....but we spaek from very High top units..)

style

Comment

• beden1
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Oct 2006

The CP800 is a 3 channel preamp?

Comment

• style
                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                  • Feb 2006

Hi Brooks,
                                                                  Yes the CP have a 3 I/O XLR : like have too rebelmann wrote the master studios habe always 3 speakers as front, not 2.
                                                                  this for a "center" not to be used with a center speaker (read htm2di or others) but for 3 x 803DI , 3 x 802DI.. Not a "phantom" center but a reallyventer presence!

yucan see the pictures from the rear of the CP80o posted from Rebelman andthe video from the top manager from Classé....

This is too a good reason why the CA3200 is always in the catalogue vs. the CA2200 replace from theCA/Ct2300.....

Top set:
                                                                  SSP800
                                                                  CP800
                                                                  2 x CA/Ct300 (and CA/Ct600)
                                                                  802DI (or for the very hunger fans 800DI)

the CA3200 the the center and the surround at desire...

(well a CA2300 is sure a great ampli not so expensive like the 2 monoblock CA300.....)

I have received a list from my friend from Classé with the last piece available from:
                                                                  HTM1D NEW in black ask (45% discount) like wrote NEW not a demo...
                                                                  804S Cherry for 3500$!!
                                                                  Classe Omege monoblock at 50%!!!
                                                                  and a 803D sell at 6400Us dollar , new never opend!!!, CM5, CN1 and CM7..

Omar

Comment

• beden1
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • Oct 2006

The CA3200 has been discontinued. Classe told me last month that they only had about 8 units left.

I wonder why they discontinue their only 3 channel amp when they are coming out with a 3 channel preamp?

Comment

• caberxx
                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                      • Jan 2010

Re my earlier point on the new amps - tonight I listened to the system on very low volume. After an hour I checked the status of the amps via the canbus. Each amp was at 37 degrees celcius on each of heat sink 1 and 2. A few buddies came over and we pounded the system for 2 hours. I was testing out the new DB1 subs, so we really pounded the system. 4 CA-M400 amps pounding away on the new 802 Diamonds - truly glorious. But I digress. After almost 2 hours of pounding, I checked'd the temperture via the can bus. On each amp, each of heat sink 1 and 2 was at 38 degrees celcius. A one degree difference. So please explain to me exactly what these new fans on the new amps will do other than create noise and dust. Unless, of course, a 1 degree difference actually makes a profound difference in sound (which I couldn't detect), in which case, Classe should be ashamed of itself.

Comment

• aarsoe
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • May 2004

In general accelerated lifespan test for electronics are done by raising the temperature. A single degrees increase will reduce the expected lifetime by 50%. Now that applies to Computers so don't know if it is directly transferable to power amps but I would not be surprised to be told that the main reason to implement active cooling is warrenty cost, with a bonus based on a narrower temperature operating range that most likely also does give some sonic benefit...

Comment

• style
                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                          • Feb 2006
                                                                          • 1562

The CA3200 discontinued??

for what I was is the only CA 200 watt already in the catalogue!!!
                                                                          the CA2200, CA5200, CA2100,CA 5100 and CAP2100, are discondinued.. like the Cpd 102..... but this really new for me...

I wonder too ....--> investigation

Style

Comment

• mjb
                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                            • Mar 2005
                                                                            • 1483

Each amp was at 37 degrees celcius on each of heat sink 1 and 2.... After almost 2 hours of pounding, I checked'd the temperture via the can bus. On each amp, each of heat sink 1 and 2 was at 38 degrees celcius. A one degree difference.
                                                                            Most of a Classé amps curve operates in Class A, so they will run equally warm driven or not.
                                                                            So please explain to me exactly what these new fans on the new amps will do other than create noise and dust. Unless, of course, a 1 degree difference actually makes a profound difference in sound (which I couldn't detect), in which case, Classe should be ashamed of itself.
                                                                            No, a one degree difference doesn't make all that difference. A MOSFETs junction temperature is HOT, but it should remain under around 110 degree's C to avoid damage, hence the big heat sinks. The amps need some room around them to allow the warm air to convect, and the heat sinks to do their job.

BUT, people stick their equipment in poorly ventilated racks, the heat sinks warm the air up, but the hot air can't go anywhere. The amp's temperature rises, and you start to cook the other components such as capacitors and resistors - these cooked components will slowly change their value affecting the amps design balance (biasing and gain) and performance.

This is where the fans come in. To keep a nice constant temperature, and the passive components within tolerance, even in a restricted space - such as a rack (you'll still need space at the back of the rack/furniture to let the forced hot air out). If you sit your amp on a well ventilated stand, you don't need the fans.
                                                                            - Mike

Main System:
                                                                            B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                                                                            Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• gerardhn
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Jun 2005
                                                                              • 352

#39
                                                                              going back to the 800...
                                                                              style: do you know € price already? Importer Netherland doesnot know yet...
                                                                              I sold my cp 500, so iam thinking buy 800...or used "old" 700?

Comment

• style
                                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                                • Feb 2006
                                                                                • 1562

#40
                                                                                hoi gerardh,

the CP700 is sure a good "temptation" with great price in second hand (4500 Euros ca. for a good piece...)
                                                                                But personaly I will wait the CP800 that dont will be SURE more expesive from the CP700 = to have a new cp800 will be ca..the same price from a *old* CP700..

I do that in Europa the Classé products are very much more expensive vs. the USA price....the CP800 is not so expensive like the CP700 BUT is a lot better!

The CP800 give you a lot more possibilty from the CP700: save your $$ and go with this great new preampli!

net vr. groeten Style
                                                                                Last edited by style; 21 November 2010, 15:02 Sunday.

Comment

• gerardhn
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Jun 2005
                                                                                  • 352

#41
                                                                                  Style....
                                                                                  thx!
                                                                                  Can I give you a hint.....???
                                                                                  Before you submit a reply pls check your spelling!!
                                                                                  I know you know better !!
                                                                                  some examples :
                                                                                  expensive= expesinve, epepesiev, exoense, expemsive!
                                                                                  ot= not
                                                                                  gce=get
                                                                                  sava= saves
                                                                                  groetjies=groetjes
                                                                                  and so on...
                                                                                  come on! respect your old teachers more..!
                                                                                  Groetjes Gerard

Comment

• 7ryder
                                                                                    Junior Member
                                                                                    • Nov 2010
                                                                                    • 4

#42
                                                                                    I saw the video from Dave N and found very interesting the statements that were made

“Using full resolution files and one of its USB inputs, the CP-800 can surpass the performance of conventional disc playback systems,” says Nauber. “When the innovative audio circuitry and power supply designs are factored in, the CP-800 becomes a ground-breaking new product with unmatched performance at an affordable price.” ($5000)

Orange County's premier destination for high-end audio video, home theater system, high end hi-fi audio and smart home automation. Stop by our store today!

I intend to buy one and will let you know as soon as I receive it :T
                                                                                    I have to say that the idea of a 2-channel preamp w/ PEQ is tempting, but only if it sounds better than the SSP-800 in 2-channel mode. As for me, I moved into digital files years ago with Sonos, so if all the CP-800 adds is this capability and it doesn't sound better, then I'll pass.

While I still use Sonos for the rest of the house, I use a PS Audio PWD/Bridge combo for my main system.

If you haven't looked into PS Audio's PWD/Bridge you should if you're interested in digital file playback...totally outperformed the Linn Akurate DS I had and it sounds pretty sweet through the SSP-800 which I think you own. Also, asynchronous USB, I believe, has an upper limit of 24/96...no such limitations on either the PSA or Linn products. In fact, the PWD can play 32 bit files (if they existed) and up to 192 kHz.

Another added bonus of either company is that they both have their own discussion boards and the owners/employees chime in quite frequently...something I think a few of you would like to see from Classe.

Cheers!

ChrisG
                                                                                    Seattle, WA

Comment

• Birdy
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Mar 2006
                                                                                      • 186

#43
                                                                                      Originally posted by gerardhn
                                                                                      Style....
                                                                                      thx!
                                                                                      Can I give you a hint.....???
                                                                                      Before you submit a reply pls check your spelling!!
                                                                                      I know you know better !!
                                                                                      some examples :
                                                                                      expensive= expesinve, epepesiev, exoense, expemsive!
                                                                                      ot= not
                                                                                      gce=get
                                                                                      sava= saves
                                                                                      groetjies=groetjes
                                                                                      and so on...
                                                                                      come on! respect your old teachers more..!
                                                                                      Groetjes Gerard
                                                                                      You two know each other????? :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Comment

• gerardhn
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Jun 2005
                                                                                        • 352

#44
                                                                                        A little bit.
                                                                                        Just wanted the highly appreciated opinion of our style just to have even some more style.

Comment

• beden1
                                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                                          • Oct 2006
                                                                                          • 1676

#45
                                                                                          The CP800 is a 3 channel preamp?
                                                                                          I just read about the CP-800 and it said it was a two channel/stereo preamp. I guess to be technically correct, it is a 2.1 or a 2.2 pre-amp, as you can add a sub woofer/(s).

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"