X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ray5
    • Dec 2008

Classe 5200 rack

HI Guys,
    I recently upgraded to the CA 5200. It seriously overwhelmed my entertainment center! Any suggestions for a rack which will accommodate my stuff in my profile and have some space for future additions? Also be esthetic enough to be in a family room where we spend the most time? Thanks,
    Ray
  • aarsoe
    • May 2004

I have personally given up on racks. Different gear have different height making it look somehow wrong. Love the look of my Classe gear, but it really does not match well with anything else - only exception being the Mac Mini..
    So I now use cabinets with a mesh front that allows for IR signals to pass and hide all the gear. Will see if I can take a photo a post it in the near future..

Comment

• kpodolski
      • Jun 2006

I had the same problem years ago when I bought my CA-5200. I ended up making a hybrid DIY/Salamander stand for my TV/Amp. The base I used was a 2" thinck piece of MDF from an old Sony audio rack. All the rest is Salamander. It's held up great over the years and has a nice substantial feel to it. It's not beautiful but it works for me.

The problem with an amp that is both deep and heavy is that you either pay a lot for a high end stand or build your own...good luck!

The second place winner is the first place loser.

An argument with reality is one you'll never win.

If you are offended, you are complicit in the outrage.

It's better to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

"Americans love a winner. Americans will not tolerate a loser." Gen. Patton

Comment

• ray5
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by kpodolski
        I had the same problem years ago when I bought my CA-5200. I ended up making a hybrid DIY/Salamander stand for my TV/Amp. The base I used was a 2" thinck piece of MDF from an old Sony audio rack. All the rest is Salamander. It's held up great over the years and has a nice substantial feel to it. It's not beautiful but it works for me.

The problem with an amp that is both deep and heavy is that you either pay a lot for a high end stand or build your own...good luck!

Thanks. You're right. I am looking at the Salamander Synergy series, they are nice but only issue is the are not deep enough without the optional back extentions. The proble with this hobby is that you change stuff around and add so you never know when you have enough room!
        Ray

Comment

• Glen B
          Super Senior Member
          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by ray5
          I am looking at the Salamander Synergy series, they are nice but only issue is the are not deep enough without the optional back extentions.
          I have a Classé CA-300 which is 21 inches deep, same as the CA-5200, and it fits in a Salamander Synergy S-40 rack without the rear panel installed, but that's fine. In my experience, rear panels make access to connections and periodic cleaning of dust more difficult. The rear handles and connectors stick out a couple of inches in the back but that has never been a problem.

Comment

• ray5
            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Glen B
            I have a Classé CA-300 which is 21 inches deep, same as the CA-5200, and it fits in a Salamander Synergy S-40 rack without the rear panel installed, but that's fine. In my experience, rear panels make access to connections and periodic cleaning of dust more difficult. The rear handles and connectors stick out a couple of inches in the back but that has never been a problem.

Thanks Glen,
            Does you CA 300 feet rest on the rack? The Synergy is 19.75" deep without the doors installed and more like 18" with the doors. If your's work so will mine. The last thing I'd like is ordering it and the unit feet do not rest completely on the rack!
            Ray

Comment

• Glen B
              Super Senior Member
              • Jul 2004

Thanks Glen,
              Does you CA 300 feet rest on the rack? The Synergy is 19.75" deep without the doors installed and more like 18" with the doors. If your's work so will mine. The last thing I'd like is ordering it and the unit feet do not rest completely on the rack!
              Ray
              My amp's feet rest on the rack, but come to think of it, the CA-300 feet are further in from the rear edge. Looking at the dimensional drawing of the CA-5200 in the owner's manual, its feet are close to the rear edge. If you have access to a dealer or friend with a Salamander rack, how about making a cardboard template of your amp with the feet positions marked ? Place the template on the rack and see where the feet line up.

Comment

• wettou
                Ultra Senior Member
                • May 2006

Originally posted by kpodolski

Built a granite stand, Cost $75
                Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• ray5
                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by wettou
                  Built a granite stand, Cost $75
                  Hope you are joking. I had granite slabs made for my 802D's. They were 200$ each and 180 pounds each and I live in the Granite State!
                  Ray

Comment

• wettou
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • May 2006

Hope you are joking. I had granite slabs made for my 802D's. They were 200$ each and 180 pounds each and I live in the Granite State!
                    Ray
                    Well I went to a stone store and they had several pieces of slabs broken. Business was slow so the guy worked with me. I paid cash and the most expensive part was cutting since they use diamond blades :T
                    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• ray5
                      • Dec 2008

Well I went to a stone store and they had several pieces of slabs broken. Business was slow so the guy worked with me. I paid cash and the most expensive part was cutting since they use diamond blades :T
                      Could you post a picture? I'd be interested. Looking at the salamander's the depth requirements may not work and I may be looking at a custom one. It's like the tail wagging the dog. First you buy stuff and then because you did you buy some more!!!
                      Ray

Comment

• style
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Feb 2006

hallo kpodolski,

sorry what do you have on the top over the Htm2D?

a plasma? or other "units"?

thx Style

Comment

• wettou
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • May 2006

Could you post a picture? I'd be interested. Looking at the salamander's the depth requirements may not work and I may be looking at a custom one. It's like the tail wagging the dog. First you buy stuff and then because you did you buy some more!!!Ray
                          How do I post a picture again?

Comment

• ray5
                            • Dec 2008

I have no idea !! E-mail me me a picture.Sent a pm.
                            Ray

Comment

• kpodolski
                              • Jun 2006

Originally posted by style
                              hallo kpodolski,

sorry what do you have on the top over the Htm2D?

a plasma? or other "units"?

thx Style

Style, I have a Sony KDL-52EX700 LED LCD tv...

Comment

• kpodolski
                                • Jun 2006

Wettou, first upload your image to an image hosting site (I use Photobucket). When you respond to a post, there is an image attachment option (it's the ninth option from the right over that say's "insert image") that you click on to open up an attachment window. Go back to Photobucket and choose the image you want, scroll the mouse over the image, choose the "IMG Code", highlight it, right click to copy, go back to HTguide and paste the image in the script prompt. Attach the image and you are all done. Easy as pie!!! :T

Comment

• Teejoo
                                  • Dec 2009

My rack looks like this:

And if everything goes well it looks like about this on Saturday:

(Only with a CA-2200 on top instead of the CA-5200)
                                  Teejooscoop

Comment

• ray5
                                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Teejoo
                                    My rack looks like this:

And if everything goes well it looks like about this on Saturday:

(Only with a CA-2200 on top instead of the CA-5200)
                                    Nice. It seems though that you have the rack hidden away?
                                    I am looking at the Salamander synergy series but the 5200 will stick out the back. I could work with it, am also looking at some custom options before I decide.
                                    Ray

Comment

• Teejoo
                                      • Dec 2009

Nice. It seems though that you have the rack hidden away?
                                      I am looking at the Salamander synergy series but the 5200 will stick out the back. I could work with it, am also looking at some custom options before I decide.
                                      Ray
                                      My rack is actually behind a small wall. At this picture you can see the wall on the right, with my old MC12 and the old rack. But you get the idea:

The rack is from Creaktiv and it's their most simple line. The shelf hights are custom ordered.
                                      Teejooscoop

Comment

• wettou
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • May 2006

Cool :T

Comment

• style
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Feb 2006

Hoi Teejoo,

the Creaktive make a great rack :T

..and if you go with the sub atthe place from the B&W and the 803 more naer you! = the sound go direct to you, more plasure!?

how much meter do you have from the B&W803s to your "listen-place"?

groeten Style

Comment

• Teejoo
                                            • Dec 2009

Originally posted by style
                                            Hoi Teejoo,

the Creaktive make a great rack :T

..and if you go with the sub atthe place from the B&W and the 803 more naer you! = the sound go direct to you, more plasure!?

how much meter do you have from the B&W803s to your "listen-place"?

groeten Style
                                            Hey Style, the distance between my listening spot and the 903's is 2.95 m. I put the subs more to the front because that's the place they integrate the best with my room and listening position.
                                            Teejooscoop

Comment

• ray5
                                              • Dec 2008

Very neat and clean. I am sure sounds awesome!
                                              Ray

Comment

• Xavier
                                                • May 2007

Hey Teejoo,

Awesome subs.

Congrats

Xavier
                                                System: CLASSÉ SSP-800; CLASSÉ CA3200 (F+C); TAG 100x5R (S) - Speakers: B&W 802D (F) + B&W HTM4s (C) + TAG Calliope (S) + REL STRATA V Sources: CLASSÉ CDP300; Oppo BDP-83 NE - Video: Panasonic PT-AE3000; Tela BEAMAX (moldura)

Comment

• Blue-Eyes
                                                  • Dec 2002

Here my selfmade rack of massive steel and MDF. Made with a CNC machine, and a very good paintjob.

I also have a separate amp stand (1 level) but could not find a picture (I have somewhere a picture). But you can imagine how it looks when you see the 3 level rack.

I build it a year ago and still in love with it.
                                                  ------------------------------------------------------
                                                  Never drive faster than your Angel can fly!

Comment

• Blue-Eyes
                                                    • Dec 2002

And some more pictures of the rack with the CA5200 and SSP800 (trade my CDP300 for a Velodyne DD15, last month) .

Comment

• Armbender
                                                      • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Blue-Eyes
                                                      Here my selfmade rack of massive steel and MDF. Made with a CNC machine, and a very good paintjob.

I also have a separate amp stand (1 level) but could not find a picture (I have somewhere a picture). But you can imagine how it looks when you see the 3 level rack.

very nice Blue Eyes!. You should definately start selling these...You would have tonnes of customers
                                                      Samsung UN60C6300 | Primare SP32 | Primare A30.7 | Oppo BDP-103 | PS Audio Quintet | AppleTV | ELAC 247 Black Edition | ELAC CC 241 Black Edition | B&W DM 600 S3 | SVS PC 13 Ultra | Straight Wire Virtuoso | Harmonic Technology Pro 9's | Black Sands Power Cords

Comment

• Blue-Eyes
                                                        • Dec 2002

I found the 1 level rack picture:

Comment

• wettou
                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                          • May 2006

Superb can you please make me one? :T

Comment

• Blue-Eyes
                                                            • Dec 2002

Thx for the compliments!

I was in contact with Classe Holland, and we received a mail from the Vice president Classe Audio from Canada, with an inventation to give a demo at the headquarters.
                                                            Due several issues, business and private it was a no go.

Missed the opportunity, perhaps I'll restart it. I think about it.

Also a redesign for the feets: adjustable feet so it can 100% flat and stable installed.
                                                            Last edited by Blue-Eyes; 15 August 2010, 03:36 Sunday.

Comment

• ray5
                                                              • Dec 2008

Very cool!!!! I wish I could have one. Finally made the plunge. Salamander Synergy was close but still did not get the satisfaction of spending the money and yet not being optimum for my needs so went custom cabinetry, I designed it and it is on order. When I get it I'll post a picture.
                                                              Ray

Comment

• wettou
                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                • May 2006

Thx for the compliments! I was in contact with Classe Holland, and we received a mail from the Vice president Classe Audio from Canada, with an inventation to give a demo at the headquarters. Due several issues, business and private it was a no go. Missed change, perhaps I restart it up. I rethink about it. Also a redesign for the foots: adjustable feet so it can 100% flat and stable installed.
                                                                Very very nice indeed, please make me one :B

Comment

• multiham
                                                                  • May 2010

Very very nice indeed, please make me one :B
                                                                  I'm with wettou. If you ever decide you can make a couple of racks, put me down for 1! Your work looks fantastic!

Comment

• Blue-Eyes
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Dec 2002

Making these racks for production with the same manufactures is to expensive. I could better sell my idea to Classe

Give me a CDP502 and a pair of CAM400 and it's your idea Classe :P :P
                                                                    Just a little bit of joking

Comment

• Blue-Eyes
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Dec 2002

I found some old (not so good) pictures from an amp rack (1-level, CA5200):

Comment

• btf1980
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Aug 2007

Blue-Eyes, excellent job! How much would an amp stand like that cost if you sold it? Looks incredible.
                                                                        A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.

Comment

• Blue-Eyes
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Dec 2002

I will not sell it

Cost? Don't know. I spent 2000-2500 USA dollars (1500 euro's) for two racks, 5 layers in totall (3 spare plates).

Comment

• Blue-Eyes
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Dec 2002
                                                                            • 162

A question for a friend of mine, who is a metalworker and is studying about making these racks.

How many are serious, and what would be the price you are willing to pay?

He ask me about it.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                                              • Mar 2005
                                                                              • 1537

#39
                                                                              Thx for the compliments!

I was in contact with Classe Holland, and we received a mail from the Vice president Classe Audio from Canada, with an inventation to give a demo at the headquarters.
                                                                              Due several issues, business and private it was a no go.

Missed the opportunity, perhaps I'll restart it. I think about it.

Also a redesign for the feets: adjustable feet so it can 100% flat and stable installed.
                                                                              I noticed page 9 of the PDF, looks very similar. Yours the black shelves are thicker and the legs are even on the sides.

B&W

Comment

• style
                                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                                • Feb 2006
                                                                                • 1562

#40
                                                                                Hy Race Car Driver,

Sorry but the rack at page 9 have a price from ??k. $$$ but the quaity is a very Lowwwwww!!!!

the bewcome from Solidsteel looks good but is too a "fuke Rack".

the steel i not a top quality from inox....for my waste money.

style

Comment

• Blue-Eyes
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Dec 2002
                                                                                  • 162

#41
                                                                                  Originally posted by Race Car Driver
                                                                                  I noticed page 9 of the PDF, looks very similar. Yours the black shelves are thicker and the legs are even on the sides.

http://www.classeaudio.com/downloads...seBrochure.pdf
                                                                                  I use other materials, massive steel and wood.
                                                                                  And my rack do have 4 legs, Classe uses 3 legs for their rack.

I don't like the Classe rack. The sizes, thickness does not fit with the equipement.

But that is my opinion

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                                    • Mar 2005
                                                                                    • 1537

#42
                                                                                    I agree, yours looks better IMO. Theirs has 4 legs, the 2 in the rear are just closer together than the fronts.

The design's are very similar.
                                                                                    B&W

Comment

• Blue-Eyes
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Dec 2002
                                                                                      • 162

#43
                                                                                      I have in total 8 plates. I can make one rack of 8 levels, or 2 racks with 4 levels, or ... You know

The distance between the levels in my rack are the heights of the equipement and the free space as discripted in the manual. Normally 7 cm.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                                        • Mar 2005
                                                                                        • 1537

#44
                                                                                        Okay
                                                                                        B&W

Comment

• nikos
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Dec 2005
                                                                                          • 172

#45
                                                                                          [QUOTE=Blue-Eyes]I found some old (not so good) pictures from an amp rack (1-level, CA5200):

Your rack is the most beautiful Classe fitting rack I've seen. Period!

Great Work. ;x(

I think I'm going to take the plunge and try and build something similar myself.

Couple Questions. can someone please point me to some place I can purchase the thick pointed feet? and the little circle they sit in??

Thanks.

Nikos
                                                                                          Classe SSP-800, Classe CA-5200, B&W 803D, B&W HTM2D, JL Audio Fathom f113 Subwoofer, Rotel RMB-1077(for sale), Oppo DV-983H, Panasonic PT-AE900U Xbox360, Sony PS3, Samsung 8000 Series 55" LCD, Klipsch promedia 5.1 ultra for PC

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"