X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KahunaCanuck
    • May 2008

Which Oppo with the SSP 800

I am thinking of replacing my Denon 3800 Bluray with the Oppo BD83 (faster loading times and SACD/DVD Audio playback) but am trying to decide which one. While many are raving about the analogue sections of the 83 SE and even the Nuforce edition, I can't imagine that the DACs in those units would sound better than just running the HDMI straight into the SSP 800. Has anyone compared with the 800? Should I just buy the basic one or?
    Kahuna's Theatre
  • wettou
    Ultra Senior Member
    • May 2006

Originally posted by KahunaCanuck
    I am thinking of replacing my Denon 3800 Bluray with the Oppo BD83 (faster loading times and SACD/DVD Audio playback) but am trying to decide which one. While many are raving about the analogue sections of the 83 SE and even the Nuforce edition, I can't imagine that the DACs in those units would sound better than just running the HDMI straight into the SSP 800. Has anyone compared with the 800? Should I just buy the basic one or?
    YES that is what Oppo recommended, please use HDMi bit-stream let the SSP-800 do all the work
    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• style
      Super Senior Member
      • Feb 2006

Hi KahunaCanuck,

I have a denon3800 & Pioneer lx91(09 USA).

The Pioneer is amazing: the best bluray player never see.
      the denon is now out with the 4010 but is vry similar at the 3800: changing with this new 4010 = wasted money!

the oppo in Europa *(Switzerlnad)* is not so "popolar"...but available not easy but available in 83specialEdition and Nuforce...

the contro is the price from the oppo in europa: 83 ca. $-1000 /
      83SE $. 1700.- and Nuforce $.2200.-!!!

* a purchssing in the net isssure not so expensive

I will replace the 3800 too but with tis price I think that will be available another solution...
      Style

Comment

• KahunaCanuck
        • May 2008

Thanks Style,

I like my 3800 as well, but the load time is a pain and I would like to be able to play SACD & DVD Audio as well. I am looking for the perfect machine I guess!

The Oppo here is $499, the SE $899. I plan to only use the HDMI out so the SE probably is of no use to me.

I had hoped someone had tried the SE with analogue out for CD compared to HDMI out into the SSP 800, but I guess not.

With Oppo's pricing here I can't see spending a bunch more for a universal blu ray player that nobody seems to see or hear any differences in.
        Kahuna's Theatre

Comment

• style
          Super Senior Member
          • Feb 2006

Hallo KahunaCaplayer.

the Oppo 83SE for $. 899.- I think is a great player!!!

Iuse at today with te 3800 asimply hdmi cable: a extra coax. for evt. music..but the difference from Hdmi and ooax is very little!!!!

the oppo 83SE with our price can be a super solution to listen music in analog but the SSP800 Dac's is sure better from what the oppo have inside....
          Personaly I choice the 83 se..

like wrote to have a god price for the Oppo I must buy it via Net from the official link or other in nord europa: for ca. $-1200 all taxes ink. is possible have so one...

Like you know Lexicon, Oppo and Theta Blu is always the same player ..only the price is different: oppo à.500 / Lexicon $.3990 and Theta blu $.2990.-

Style

Comment

• wettou
            Ultra Senior Member
            • May 2006

The Oppo here is $499, the SE $899. I plan to only use the HDMI out so the SE probably is of no use to me.

I had hoped someone had tried the SE with analogue out for CD compared to HDMI out into the SSP 800, but I guess not.
            Oppo BDP-83 is enough unless you intend to do analogue
            Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• style
              Super Senior Member
              • Feb 2006

hi, yes the SE will be for the analogue use...but with so a little price difference I say GO with the SE: in a second time you will sure happy to have the SE version.

in Switzerland, a purchasing to a "dealer" the 83SE is around $. 1500.-!!! :cry:

Ok, for this money you can forget a new Denon like the 4010 AND the charge
              time from a Denon/Pioneer (I have the lx91-09 in USA) is too loooong:
              Pirates of Caribbean: with the Oppo 21 second, with the Denon 4010: 1 min. & 4 sec. 8O

pro & contra are sure more but the Oppo is a very good investment.

Style

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2006

Originally posted by wettou
                Agreed.
                Kal Rubinson

Comment

• stuofsci02
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Nov 2009

I wish you were close enough and I would let you borrow my 83SE..

As has been said if you are going HDMI there is absolutely no advantage to get the 83SE.

That said, I cannot comment on how the CD performance would compare via the 83SE analog outs vs. the SSP-800.

One thing for sure is the analog outs on the 83SE perform far better then what they cost compared to other players. If you have the cash, I would go 83SE just so you can laugh at how good a Blu-Ray player sounds for stereo CD's.

As a point of interest I did a double blind AB test with my 83SE yesterday against a Squeezebox (using internal DAC), Squeeze Box w/ Cambridge Audio DACmagic, and my Rotel RCD-1072.

At the end of the day it stacked like this from worst to first (which I half expected):

Squeeze Box (alone)
                  Squeeze Box (w/ DACmagic)
                  Rotel RCD-1072
                  Oppo BDP-83SE

What was amazing is that going from the Squeeze Box to the Rotel showed improvement for each step, but if you stopped listening for a few minutes it was really tough to tell which was which. But the OPPO just walked over the other three. I could always pick it out as I it was that much better.

Of course what I compared it to are not considered super hi-end products, but the DACmagic costs about $450 CAD and the Rotel about $700 CAD, so the extra $400 premium for the 83SE over the 83 seems justified if you use it for CD over the analogs.

BTW.. The Rotel is about to go up for sale....
                  Main System:
                  B&W 801D
                  Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                  Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                  Oppo BDP-105
                  Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                  B&W CM7
                  Emotiva UMC-1
                  Emotiva UPA-2
                  Oppo BDP-83SE
                  Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• KahunaCanuck
                    • May 2008

Thanks for the input guys!
                    Kahuna's Theatre

Comment

• wettou
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • May 2006

Thanks for the input guys!
                      So which are you buying!

Comment

• KahunaCanuck
                        • May 2008

I'll probably just get the regular one...I can't see using the internal DAC...plus if I ever want to this Oppo can go into my Bedroom system and replace my Pioneer later...
                        Kahuna's Theatre

Comment

• nedkuehn
                          • Aug 2008

I have had the Oppo BDP-83 since release and all I have used is HDMI into the SSP-800. That would be the player to choose. In fact, I do not understand why there are essentially no (except for a Denon unit) Blu-Ray Transports without D/A conversion on the market. I have found that the quality of HDMI cable makes a big difference - especially with PCM signals. The ultimate partner for the SSP-800 would be a BDP-83 as is but without analog audio output stages (like the Classe CDT-300). Or perhaps Classe could drop a BDP-83 without analog ouput stages into a CDT-300 box, and sell it as the Classe CBT-300 for a huge profit (heck it's working for Lexicon).

Comment

• Nolan B
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Sep 2005

Originally posted by nedkuehn
                            I have had the Oppo BDP-83 since release and all I have used is HDMI into the SSP-800. That would be the player to choose. In fact, I do not understand why there are essentially no (except for a Denon unit) Blu-Ray Transports without D/A conversion on the market. I have found that the quality of HDMI cable makes a big difference - especially with PCM signals. The ultimate partner for the SSP-800 would be a BDP-83 as is but without analog audio output stages (like the Classe CDT-300). Or perhaps Classe could drop a BDP-83 without analog ouput stages into a CDT-300 box, and sell it as the Classe CBT-300 for a huge profit (heck it's working for Lexicon).

Considering all the damage that little stunt did to their brand with the educated only community and buyers I would say its not really "working". Certainly did more damage then good. i would say.

Comment

• wettou
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • May 2006

Originally posted by Nolan B
                              Considering all the damage that little stunt did to their brand with the educated only community and buyers I would say its not really "working". Certainly did more damage then good. i would say.
                              Well if they disclose it it won't damage anything, the difference is Lexicon tried to pull the rug and lied

Comment

• nedkuehn
                                • Aug 2008

Or perhaps Classe could drop a BDP-83 without analog ouput stages into a CDT-300 box, and sell it as the Classe CBT-300 for a huge profit (heck it's working for Lexicon).
                                Just a nasty poke at Lexicon! I seriously doubt Classe would ever pull such a stunt. But the idea would be interesting using the more robust transport mechanism in the CDT-300.

"Flatterers look like friends, as wolves like dogs." -George Chapman

Comment

• KahunaCanuck
                                  • May 2008

I agree, why nobody is marketing a transport only Universal in this day and age is beyond me.

It reminds me of the video processor debate with the SSP 800, do we really need to have a VP in our source, pro and PJ/Monitor?

If Oppo did a BD83 transport with no analogue, the better power supply and beefy digital/HDMI outs I would buy one.

As it is, my BD83 arrives tomorrow...
                                  Kahuna's Theatre

Comment

• Audio_ElF
                                    • Oct 2007

I agree, why nobody is marketing a transport only Universal in this day and age is beyond me.

It reminds me of the video processor debate with the SSP 800, do we really need to have a VP in our source, pro and PJ/Monitor?

If Oppo did a BD83 transport with no analogue, the better power supply and beefy digital/HDMI outs I would buy one.

As it is, my BD83 arrives tomorrow...
                                    Well there is the Oppo BD80 where they've dropped the High End video processing and reduced the analogue capabilities.

Eloise

Comment

• nedkuehn
                                      • Aug 2008

I certainly would prefer to have video processing outside of the processor to minimize video noise pollution to the audio circuitry (perhaps one reason the SSP-800 has such outstanding audio qualities). I think if Oppo made a BD-83 Universal transport variant with no analogue out but retaining everything else that makes this a great unit, it would sell. Yes, I would also like to see included a highly stable power supply and beefier disc-drive unit as trade-offs for the absence of need for D/A conversion and analoue outs.

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Mar 2007

In a few years I'll bet you get your wish. I don't think it will be long before analog connections go away and all that will be left is an HDMI connector. It would be cheaper to make a player without any DACs, audio or video, and only one connection. It will happen soon enough.

Eric

Comment

• Blue-Eyes
                                          • Dec 2002

And....... when you have a great receiver or processor, you won't need analog connections. Use the DAC's in your processor.
                                          A transport is less important with a good HDMI connection (with good jitter handling) as a transport with analog connections.
                                          ------------------------------------------------------
                                          Never drive faster than your Angel can fly!

Comment

• wettou
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • May 2006

Originally posted by hifiguymi
                                            In a few years I'll bet you get your wish. I don't think it will be long before analog connections go away and all that will be left is an HDMI connector. It would be cheaper to make a player without any DACs, audio or video, and only one connection. It will happen soon enough.

Eric
                                            Well that will be interesting, why do they still put composite and S video ?

That would be fantastic Classé all digital with only HDMi as well!

If CE manufacturer would develop at least one unit with all digital connections that would be great

Comment

• KahunaCanuck
                                              • May 2008

Well I finally had the time to install my Oppo as well as the dual dsp card into my SSP 800...I am thrilled with the results! :T
                                              Kahuna's Theatre

Comment

Working...
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"