X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wettou
    Ultra Senior Member
    • May 2006

Originally posted by AV-OCD
    Once those things were sorted out, I’ve really been enjoying the clean, detailed, expansive sound of the Wilson Benesch speakers. I think I have a good foundation to work with in the WB speakers, and I’ll fine tune the sound I get in my room with the SSP-800 EQ.
    Cool speakers I considered them but did not have a dealer that carried them to listen to them so I bought 802D instead?
    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• AV-OCD
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by wettou
      Cool speakers I considered them but did not have a dealer that carried them to listen to them so I bought 802D instead?
      They are tough to find as they have fairly limited distribution in the US. The dealer here in Seattle only floors one model and because he is feeling the pinch of the economy he plans to only carry the entry level bookshelf model.

Comment

• Hberg
        • Apr 2008

Here's my home brew version, using a Mac Mini and external 750GB HD. All music ripped in Apple Lossless of course.

And shot of the Apple Visualizer running while the music plays (fascinatng to watch by the way).

I, indeed, like your set-up.

I just recently purchased my first iPod and even more recently purchased an Apple TV. I do like the way it looks in comparison to the Classe' pieces, and I am seriously considering the Mac mini as possible addition to replace the Apple TV. I am curious if you have used the Mac mini as a DVD or CD Player, and what was your impression?

By the way, you stated in a different post - "Now if Sony only made a BluRay player in silver," and I thought I would throw out a site that may help you meet that end. The company is called ColorWare.

The following is a Custom Design I made at ColorWare.

On a separate note - Sikoniko, it is good to have input back in the Classe' Club.
        "If 'A' equals success, then the formula is 'A = _ X + Y + Z.' 'X' is work. 'Y' is play. 'Z' is keeping your mouth shut." -- Albert Einstein

Comment

• AV-OCD
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Hberg
          I, indeed, like your set-up.

I just recently purchased my first iPod and even more recently purchased an Apple TV. I do like the way it looks in comparison to the Classe' pieces, and I am seriously considering the Mac mini as possible addition to replace the Apple TV. I am curious if you have used the Mac mini as a DVD or CD Player, and what was your impression?

By the way, you stated in a different post - "Now if Sony only made a BluRay player in silver," and I thought I would throw out a site that may help you meet that end. The company is called ColorWare.

The following is a Custom Design I made at ColorWare.

On a separate note - Sikoniko, it is good to have input back in the Classe' Club.
          Thanks for the kind words.

Ya know, I have not tried the Mac Mini as a CD player or DVD player, though I'm sure that with a digital connection to the SSP-800 it would do just fine as a CD transport. I probably wouldn't recommend it for a DVD player though. Almost all PC's use software based DVD decoders, which have always looked rather fuzzy and muted in color to me.

Someone else pointed me to the colorware site in the past. I don't understand what they do. I thought they supplied vinyl applications for popular consumer electronics, but now it seems that the color change is permanent. Are they just painting them?

Comment

• sikoniko
            Super Senior Member
            • Aug 2003

Ya know, I have not tried the Mac Mini as a CD player or DVD player, though I'm sure that with a digital connection to the SSP-800 it would do just fine as a CD transport. I probably wouldn't recommend it for a DVD player though. Almost all PC's use software based DVD decoders, which have always looked rather fuzzy and muted in color to me.
            The Classe thread probably is not the right place to discuss this, let alone this particular thread, but I feel strongly in the future of stored media. I recently directed my father-in-law to buy a dell xps420 with dual cable card so he'd have the ability to store more of his recorded programs than the motorola box offers, plus offload them to DVD, as well as quickly and conveniently access his music library. I'm also a fan of the media extender concept, where you can access media from a centralized location. This is where I am sold on the Sonos.

I first bought into it with Kalaidescape. Then after seeing Media Center, I got excited. Kalaidescape is way too expensive. I'm glad Microsoft is trying to commoditize it! That is the potential of DRM, right?

I am in IT, and I joke with my storage vendor that their products will be in peoples homes in 5 years, not just companies. I know studios are already implementing large SANs. Its just a matter of time before we have large centralized storage in our homes and can access media from anywhere, not just small NAS's.

Where I am not a fan of at this point is downloading overly compressed media. I still like to purchase a regular CD or BD that I own, and can store after I rip it to disk.

For me, the SSP-800 (found a way to tie it in!) is the first SSP to accomodate this type of thinking! By putting fantastic DACs and engineering into the proc, we can start moving from the dedicated source players that focus on superior playback to transports that can sound as good and stream media from anywhere to anywhere.

I'd like to see Classe make a Nuvo type product, for multi-zone support but until then, the Sonos is a great solution. I can't buy into AppleTV because it is only 720p but it does offer video and the Sonos doesn't.
            I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• wettou
              Ultra Senior Member
              • May 2006

Originally posted by sikoniko
              I can't buy into AppleTV because it is only 720p but it does offer video and the Sonos doesn't.
              Wait until January MacWorld is araound the corner I would not be surprised if Steve Jobs doesn't show Apple TV 3.0 with HDMi 1.3 and 1080p with 1TB. At that stage I am buying and forget buying discs:B

Then Classé SSP-800 will really win it's colors:T
              Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• sikoniko
                Super Senior Member
                • Aug 2003

Originally posted by wettou
                Wait until January MacWorld is araound the corner I would not be surprised if Steve Jobs doesn't show Apple TV 3.0 with HDMi 1.3 and 1080p with 1TB. At that stage I am buying and forget buying discs:B

Then Classé SSP-800 will really win it's colors:T
                didn't Steve Jobs really say he doesn't care for HDMI?
                I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• wettou
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • May 2006

Originally posted by sikoniko
                  didn't Steve Jobs really say he doesn't care for HDMI?
                  You are right except for Apple TV which already has HDMi. Plus it won't be the first time he change his mind he didn't like Intel either

Comment

• Hberg
                    • Apr 2008

AV-OCD, I believe that ColorWare does some sort of permanent painting.

Sikoniko, I agree with you as far as ripping the CDs I've purchased. I have not downloaded a single song from iTunes. The use of iTunes with the SSP-800 is a great way to have constant background music; however, I have noticed that even with a lossless recording of a CD it still lacks something. Don't get me wrong it is still a good recording of the CD, but when you play the same CD/song on a CD Player it sounds better. It is just my opinion, but for critical listening I think I will listen to the CD versus through iTunes.

Wettou, I am kind of waiting to MacWorld as well. Not so much for any improved AppleTV, but more for an updated Mac mini. It would be nice if the Mac mini had HDMI output. Right now I use the AppleTV as means to stream music. With an updated Mac mini I could use it as more of a media server. I seriously thought about the Mac mini, but there is substantial rumor that it may be updated.

Since this is Thanksgiving, I must say that I am thankful for the music that world has to offer, and I am thankful that I am able to enjoy it through the SSP-800.
                    "If 'A' equals success, then the formula is 'A = _ X + Y + Z.' 'X' is work. 'Y' is play. 'Z' is keeping your mouth shut." -- Albert Einstein

Comment

• wettou
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • May 2006

Originally posted by Hberg
                      Wettou, I am kind of waiting to MacWorld as well. Not so much for any improved AppleTV, but more for an updated Mac mini. It would be nice if the Mac mini had HDMI output. Right now I use the AppleTV as means to stream music. With an updated Mac mini I could use it as more of a media server. I seriously thought about the Mac mini, but there is substantial rumor that it may be updated.
                      I think the iMac and Mac Mini are up for an upgrade with LED screens I dont' think we will see HDMi on macs same with blu ray that is going to take one more year...

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"