X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • merlinus
    • Feb 2008

SSP-800 Music Processing Modes

For some reason, using a different CD today and going through all the settings again, the music processing is working fine!

Blame it on the stars.... :
    Last edited by merlinus; 18 October 2008, 15:36 Saturday. Reason: problem solved
    merlin
  • style
    Super Senior Member
    • Feb 2006

B&W say that the SSP800 in 2 channel is better as the CP700 8O

well, with a stereo cd-player work more as fine :T

What for cd player do you have?

style

Comment

• merlinus
      • Feb 2008

I have a Marantz SA-7S1 which plays both CDs and SACDs. Not multi-channel, however, only stereo.

I also have a Marantz BD-8200 Blu-ray player.

Both are wonderful with the SSP-800!
      merlin

Comment

• style
        Super Senior Member
        • Feb 2006

At today I have a Sony blueray s300...but to carge a movie...a lot of time - too much,

Toshiba HDEX1 vers.4, but hd is dead.....the picture from hd are (for me) better vs. bluray

Denon3930ci.....normal dvd and cd...

I have in my head the Classe cdt300 and a new sony s550...(the bd sony is in 6 sec. ready to see a movie...)

the other solution a Marantz8002 or a Denon3800/2500 and a Arcam 192 or Marantz S11 or S15 for cd music 2 ch. stereo...

I utilise my system at 80% for movie --> I dont will buy a expensive cd player for nothing...
        The Marantz is really faster vs. older BD version like Sony, Panasonic or so like that?
        in Switzerland the 8002 is around $. 3000!!!!!! (chf. 3850 ca.)
        by you?

Style

Comment

• merlinus
          • Feb 2008

I use my system about the opposite of you, 75% two-channel music listening. So purchasing a relatively expensive CD/SACD player was a very good choice.

Compared to the Sony ES I had for 18 years, it makes every disc sound like I am hearing it for the first time. And most SACDs are incredible, in terms of the depth and range of sound.

It lists for USD 6500, but I got a 20% discount.

I paid USD 1800 for the BD-8002, and got one of the first units. It will play CDs, but not SACDs. I would rate it at 7 for CD playback, and the SA-7 at 10.

I cannot compare the speed of loading DVDs and BDs with other units, but it seems fairly slow to me. No big deal, though. The audio and video via HDMI into the SSP-800 makes for an incredible picture and sound, especially with Blu-ray!
          merlin

Comment

• style
            Super Senior Member
            • Feb 2006

Hallo merlinus,

the very different use from the system....

The Marantz dont can SACD's? well, or? becouse 2 channel and not multichannel?
            (I life in Switzerland and the SACD are very rare...) --> only via internt you can have/buy the SACD...

the Marantz SA7S1 is a geat cd player...for my utilise I will go max with the
            SA15S1 but is without XLR..ok, is not as decisive but I would like to have XLR ... you use balanced with the SA7?
            (what for setup do you have in the SSP800 for the Marantz?)
            you know the SSP800 and all his property ....
            (a speaker change his sound with the SSP800! you agree?)

I search a dvd/cd player that give me good sound in movie and stereo..
            this solution (for me) is the class cdT300. buy cdp300 make no sense when connected to SSP800 everything that you need so you have in the 800 inside...you agree too?

not so expensive solition is buy a bluray player like sony S550 or well the Marantz 8002 and a cd player like Marantz SA15/11...
            (with the Marantz I can see the normal dvd & BD with good video&sound quality well? with the Sony pay the normal dvd ? mo thanks'...)

Please reply

Style

Comment

• SwainDtV
              • Sep 2008

I have a dedicated CD player (Arcam FMJ-CD36) that I use for 2CH (stereo) playback. I use my Blu-ray player (Pioneer BDP-LX70A) only for Blu-ray discs. This player can playback Blu-ray regions A and B; DVD regions 1 and 2. For DVD, DVD-Audio and SACD I use a Lexicon RT-20. This is a multi-region player. Upcoming week I will test the Classé CDT-300 and decide if I'm going to sell my CD36. In a couple of weeks the LX70A will be replace with the LX91.

For DD (not DD2.0), DTS en PCM I use discrete; for DD2.0 Dolby PLIIx Music (movies and music); for LPCM stereo.

LX70A is connected via HDMI, RT-20 DVD YpbPr/coaxial SACD/DVDA analog, CD36 analog.

Ab

Comment

• style
                Super Senior Member
                • Feb 2006

Hy Ab,

with the cdT300 connected to the SSP800 you have the best.

If you go buy a cdP300 you have 2 keer the same "decoding machines":

in the SSP800 and in the cdP300.

the cdT300 is more as enough.

met dvd-cd cdT300 u kunt niet meer fout gaan. is de top
                Het is mooi, lekker!!
                B&W I berichtte mij de cdT300 en niet cdP300 (altijd verbonden met SSP800)
                SVP. na de test kunt u mij uw mening geven?

groeten Style

Comment

• SwainDtV
                  • Sep 2008

Originally posted by style
                  Hy Ab,

with the cdT300 connected to the SSP800 you have the best.

If you go buy a cdP300 you have 2 keer the same "decoding machines":

in the SSP800 and in the cdP300.

the cdT300 is more as enough.

met dvd-cd cdT300 u kunt niet meer fout gaan. is de top
                  Het is mooi, lekker!!
                  B&W I berichtte mij de cdT300 en niet cdP300 (altijd verbonden met SSP800)
                  SVP. na de test kunt u mij uw mening geven?

groeten Style
                  Hoi Style,

I hope the combo CDT-300 coaxial Siltech Golden Ridge will be better in 2CH than my Arcam CD36 with Siltech SQ-110. I recently tested Siltech Forbes Lake SATT version and I was amazed with the more defined sound stage. The Golden Ridge came close. So instead of investing more money in analog I'm thinking of going digital for 2CH playback.

Ab

Comment

• style
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Feb 2006

Hy Ab,

uhm... I dont not if pay so much money for a cable like Siltech spend...

You go in digital out but you dont hav e a "wandler"? / converter from analog to digital buy a expensive calbe make no much sense (for me).

Sure Siltech is very good cable but you go out more money for the cable vs. the cd player????

well a convert from analog to digital and not so expensive cable give you great resultat :T

how much is a Silltech today in money?
                    I can buy a Arcan 73 new by my dealer for $. 580.-!!! the Arcam 192 for $.1000.- or the dvd/cd sacd Arcam 137 $. 1200.ca. but only in sliver color available....

Style

Comment

• SwainDtV
                      • Sep 2008

Hy Ab,

uhm... I dont not if pay so much money for a cable like Siltech spend...

You go in digital out but you dont hav e a "wandler"? / converter from analog to digital buy a expensive calbe make no much sense (for me).

Sure Siltech is very good cable but you go out more money for the cable vs. the cd player????

well a convert from analog to digital and not so expensive cable give you great resultat :T

how much is a Silltech today in money?
                      I can buy a Arcan 73 new by my dealer for $. 580.-!!! the Arcam 192 for $.1000.- or the dvd/cd sacd Arcam 137 $. 1200.ca. but only in sliver color available....

Style
                      Hi Style,

I'm not always paying full price for the Siltechs or any other equipment. There is always something to trade in. Still € 2,400.- for a 1m Forbes Lake was too pricey for me. I would have considered this interlink if I was going to continue using a better dedicated CD player with an analog interlink. But I have decided to try the CDT-300 first.

I have no idea what the current Arcam prices are. Currently I have a CD36 and a P7 amplifier. The CD36 will probably be traded in for a CDT-300 and the P7 for a CA5200. Than all my Arcam stuff will be upgraded to Classé.

Ab

Comment

• style
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Feb 2006

Hallo Ab,

I will buy the classe cdT300 too. You live in Netherland where?

The cdT300 is agreat player... I have the SSP800with CA5200--> with the cdT300 my system will be fst perfect (for me and my utisiling modes...)

For the bluray I think to go with a "inexpensi" Sony S50..ONLY for the BD....

Style
                        Last edited by style; 09 November 2008, 09:47 Sunday.

Comment

• SwainDtV
                          • Sep 2008

Hallo Ab,

I will buy the classe cdT300 too. You live in Netherland where?

The cdT300 is agreat player... I have the SSP800with CA5200--> with the cdT300 my system will be fst perfect (for me and my utisiling modes...)

For the bluray I think to go with a "inexpensi" Sony S50..ONLY for the BD....

Style
                          Style

This weekend I tested the CDT-300. I started with 2CH playback. I have a set of reference CD's that I use for A-B comparison. My first impression was a different sound. The bass was more defined and the 's' sound from female vocalists was more smooth than my Arcam CD36. However the Arcam sounded better overall with attack (transient) in lows, mids and highs.

So personally the CDT-300 was not better or worse than my CD36, but different.

But now the disappointing part started. The CDT-300 refused to play Stacey Kent's Gold CD. On Holly Cole's Live CD the CDT-300 had a dropout (miss tracking). HDMI-audio is not very good for CD's. Due to the handshaking (I assume) the sound kicks in after a couple of seconds. So every time I inserted another CD the first 5 seconds from track 1 were not audible.

The CDT-300 video was not very good. The bottom scan lines were a duplicate of the top scan lines. Normally this part of the picture is not visible on a plasma of LCD. But on my screen all lines are visible. There's no blanking.

The CDT-300 has an edge enhancement (high, normal, low) feature that cannot be turned off. Even in low there was still too much edge enhancement. In 480/576p video resolution the edge enhancement got worse. In the up scaled video resolution (720/1080) too much detail was lost.

After one day of testing I returned the player. I was too disappointed with the media compatibility and poor video. It could have been a faulty player, but I was not interested in pursuing this upgrade. For now I will keep my Arcam CD36 for 2CH playback and Lexicon RT-20 for DVD.

Ab

Comment

• wettou
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • May 2006

Originally posted by SwainDtV
                            But now the disappointing part started. The CDT-300 refused to play Stacey Kent's Gold CD. On Holly Cole's Live CD the CDT-300 had a dropout (miss tracking). HDMI-audio is not very good for CD's. Due to the handshaking (I assume) the sound kicks in after a couple of seconds. So every time I inserted another CD the first 5 seconds from track 1 were not audible. The CDT-300 video was not very good. The bottom scan lines were a duplicate of the top scan lines......I was too disappointed with the media compatibility and poor video.
                            When it come to movies Blu Ray rules:T So until Classé comes out with a blu ray player, save yourself money and get a Sony 550 or Panasonic 55 and enjoy pristine Audio and Video that no DVD player can touch :T

Now for music a great multichannel SACD player does it for me and apple iPod with loosless files :B
                            Last edited by wettou; 10 November 2008, 14:49 Monday.
                            Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• style
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Feb 2006

Hy Ab,

I'm going to test the cdt300 too and I hope to not have these problems...
                              we'll see...
                              which processor and amp you used? All Arcam??

I have the dvd/ (sa)cd Arcam diva 137 player this week and vs, the Denon3930 in sound is different (I will not say better or worse, different ... is a personal choice- pleasure ...) but have a good sound. no word.
                              in video the Denon3930 is better...(for me)

In place from Classe a very good cd player is sure the DCS Puccini or a Esoteric.(but is another price liga)

I heard that the cambridce 840 sound very good, I am pleased to hear him...
                              never listen?

Style

Comment

• SwainDtV
                                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by wettou
                                When it come to movies Blu Ray rules:T So until Classé comes out with a blu ray player, save yourself money and get a Sony 550 or Panasonic 55 and enjoy pristine Audio and Video that no DVD player can touch :T

Now for music a great multichannel SACD player does it for me and apple iPod with loosless files :B
                                Currently I have a Pioneer LX70A Blu-ray player. This player has been modified to play both BD from region A and B. However I will upgrade the player to the new Pioneer LX91 or Denon 3800BD. I have tested the latter. Compared with the LX70A, the Denon loads BD's much faster (probably not as fast as PS3). The image quality is better both in BD and DVD, the scaler is better. The analog stereo line out sounded better than coaxial and HDMI. HDMI sounded better than coaxial. Maybe this will change in time with more hours of play time. And for the first time I was able to playback 192kHz DTS/DD tracks on all 5.1 channels. Now I have to wait for the LX91 to come out and compare it with the Denon.

One thing is for sure these players will perform very well on my SSP-800 and I'm not going to wait for a Classé Blu-ray player.

I have less than 15 SACD's in my collection. My speaker setup is not suitable for playing MCH SACD's and DVD-Audio. So I have stopped investing money in these formats. My Lexicon RT-20 will do for as long as possible.

Ab
                                Last edited by SwainDtV; 12 November 2008, 08:20 Wednesday.

Comment

• style
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Feb 2006

@SwainDtV

I have spoke with the B&W/Classe group and I have a reponse direct from Classe from the "problem cdt300".....

I can send you this info if you will (is in German!) --> PM

give me a feed back.

thanks Style

Comment

• SwainDtV
                                    • Sep 2008

@SwainDtV

I have spoke with the B&W/Classe group and I have a reponse direct from Classe from the "problem cdt300".....

give me a feed back.

thanks Style
                                    Hi Style,

I would be interested in reading the response. German is no problem.

I have listened to several CD players in my set. For now I'm still satisfied with my Arcam CD36. The CDP-300 would be interesting, because there is a 25% discount period. However in the next months I'm going to spend a lot money on other equipment. So it's better not take the CDP-300 home and listen.

Ab

Comment

• style
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Feb 2006

Hi SwainDtV,

If you will I go send the reponse from B&W...

You dont have a PrivaMail??
                                      --------
                                      I'm interested to cdp300 and this is a 25% discount period for people with the ssp800 is a big tentation..
                                      I will make a "chain all Classe ssp800-ca5200-cdp300 :T
                                      ------------
                                      I have tested the Primare CD31 and the Arcam Diva137 but in sound the Primare is really a great player...but the Classe will be better (I hope ops: )

Style

Comment

• AV-OCD
                                        • Aug 2008

@SwainDtV

give me a feed back.

thanks Style
                                        Hi Style -

I'd be interested in knowing what Classe had to say about their CDT300. Though I don't read German, I could also use translation software.

Comment

• style
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Feb 2006

Hy AV-OCD,

I have spoked with my friend from B&W when SwainDtV have tested the CDT-300.
                                          I will buy the cdT or cdP300 with the 25% discount from the people that have buyed a SSP800.
                                          Original from SwainDtV:
                                          This weekend I tested the CDT-300. I started with 2CH playback. I have a set of reference CD's that I use for A-B comparison. My first impression was a different sound. The bass was more defined and the 's' sound from female vocalists was more smooth than my Arcam CD36. However the Arcam sounded better overall with attack (transient) in lows, mids and highs.

But now the disappointing part started. The CDT-300 refused to play Stacey Kent's Gold CD. On Holly Cole's Live CD the CDT-300 had a dropout (miss tracking). HDMI-audio is not very good for CD's. Due to the handshaking (I assume) the sound kicks in after a couple of seconds. So every time I inserted another CD the first 5 seconds from track 1 were not audible.

The CDT-300 video was not very good. The bottom scan lines were a duplicate of the top scan lines. Normally this part of the picture is not visible on a plasma of LCD. But on my screen all lines are visible. There's no blanking.

The CDT-300 has an edge enhancement (high, normal, low) feature that cannot be turned off. Even in low there was still too much edge enhancement. In 480/576p video resolution the edge enhancement got worse. In the up scaled video resolution (720/1080) too much detail was lost.

After one day of testing I returned the player. I was too disappointed with the media compatibility and poor video. It could have been a faulty player, but I was not interested in pursuing this upgrade. For now I will keep my Arcam CD36 for 2CH playback and Lexicon RT-20 for DVD.
                                          I have turned the Forum at my friend from B&W a I have recieved a reponse....I send you as PM but is in German...

well this wensday (26.11) I go eat a Pizza or so like that with him and if you have another question I go speak with the "Classe man"....

Style

Comment

• AV-OCD
                                            • Aug 2008

Style

Ab
                                            Ab -

I find I get a very good picture from my CDP-300 if I match the output resoltion of the player to my TV and I use the "Automatic" edge enhancement option. The "Low" setting makes the image look too soft and the "Medium" setting is too much. I don't know why, but for some reason, the Automatic setting seems to strike the right balance between Low and Medium.

Comment

• SwainDtV
                                              • Sep 2008

@ AV-OCD,

I still think the CDT300 that I used for testing could be faulty. However there were too many issues. Sure I could keep the Lexicon for DVDs, but the price was too much for a CD player only solution where AQ was different not better or worse.

The PQ in HDMI and component was not what I expected. I tried every Edge Enhancement setting, but on my 110" screen non of the settings could match the PQ from the Lexicon. The artifacts were too annoying.

@ Style

My dealer offered me a 25% discount. I'm not sure if it is related to the purchase of my SSP800

Ab

Comment

• wettou
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • May 2006

My dealer offered me a 25% discount. I'm not sure if it is related to the purchase of my SSP800 Ab
                                                That just tells you about the margin SSP-800 MSRP $8,000 dealer cost $4,800 (40 points)
                                                Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• garak
                                                  • Jul 2007

That just tells you about the margin SSP-800 MSRP $8,000 dealer cost $4,800 (40 points)
                                                  I think he was referring to the 25% discount on the CDT-300 with the purchase of an SSP-800. Classe has posted that offer on their website, so it's no secret anymore.

As far as the 40% margin, what would you expect? You couldn't stay in business if you tried to sell low volume, high-end products with the same razor thing margins as a high volume retailer like best buy.

Comment

• wettou
                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                    • May 2006

Originally posted by garak
                                                    I think he was referring to the 25% discount on the CDT-300 with the purchase of an SSP-800. Classe has posted that offer on their website, so it's no secret anymore. As far as the 40% margin, what would you expect? You couldn't stay in business if you tried to sell low volume, high-end products with the same razor thing margins as a high volume retailer like best buy.
                                                    Yes, I saw that, how long is the deal going on for? My question is why would you spend money in dead technologies DVD and CD? Well if at least it played SACDs you could have highend audio!

You can get pure digital music at very high bit rates and I don't care what anyone says Blu Ray even cheap ones like Sony BPD-S550 using HDMi 1.3 sound better with uncompressed loosless DD true HD or DTS Master Audio 7.1 than any DVD ever will. And same thing for the picture, I have over 500 DVDs and I only watch them when I exercise never on a screen larger than 50".

Blu Ray picture quality and sound destroyed all high end players especially for movies and music is coming. For now for music check out Apple TV with uncompressed files and you will never go back (forget mp3). Even my very highend and well respected dealer uses a Sony ES mind you to demo the SSP-800 with movies and music

Now I grant you that the Classé sources are beautiful but not for ten time the price sorry not for me.

I understand, everyone has to make a living, and those Nike we buy for $100 cost $10 made in China... Still 40% margins the retailers pockets fill-up quickly..

Comment

• msm
                                                      • Aug 2008

I wonder if that promotion means a blu-ray player is coming soon.

Comment

• beden1
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by msm
                                                        I wonder if that promotion means a blu-ray player is coming soon.
                                                        A dealer told me recently he doubts Classe will do a Blu-Ray player because of the costs Sony charges in royalties. There would be no economy of scale and Classe could not make a profit.

Comment

• style
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Feb 2006

Hy msm,

I dont think a new BD player from Classe will be available in the next year....

The "war" for profile, definitive technologies,...is at this moment open,
                                                          before Classe make a BD will have a definiteve producte for the costumers...

The dvd,cd is no dead. well with a plasma/LCD 50-60" the bluray have a good resolution, with a beamer 90" or more this extra video quality is sure much visible but the last dvd are well recorded, the track is not a remake from a 2 channel or so like that...
                                                          With some movie in BluRay & DVD standards there's no a big difference.

With a great pre like SSP800 you dont have a great difference in audio too.
                                                          from DD - DTS and DD+ - DTS HD if you have a good system this new codecs are not a revolution!!!

If you dont say what is the format from what you go listen you dont can say this one is a DD and the other is DD+.

A bluray disc for a $.35.- vs. a dvd standard for $. 15.- is in this moment a important point for the people....
                                                          To say that the DVD are like the VHS is still early.

I like the bluray and the dvd too. i have ca. 3000 oroginal DVD and 150 blueray. If come out a new title I buy the bluray version if possible / available... but when I say in the supermaket a SD DVD, great movie for $. 8-12 I buy it without problem.

Style

Comment

• garak
                                                            • Jul 2007

Another post, another diatribe about audio gear being overpriced. :cry:
                                                            Yes, I saw that, how long is the deal going on for? My question is why would you spend money in dead technologies DVD and CD?
                                                            To call CD and DVD dead is an exaggeration to say the least. Yes sales are declining, but whether you like it or not, they are still the standards for physical media. Also, if you have a large collection in these media why wouldn't you invest in these technologies? Would you rather throw out your existing collections?
                                                            You can get pure digital music at very high bit rates and I don't care what anyone says Blu Ray even cheap ones like Sony BPD-S550 using HDMi 1.3 sound better with uncompressed loosless DD true HD or DTS Master Audio 7.1 than any DVD ever will. And same thing for the picture, I have over 500 DVDs and I only watch them when I exercise never on a screen larger than 50".

Blu Ray picture quality and sound destroyed all high end players especially for movies and music is coming. For now for music check out Apple TV with uncompressed files and you will never go back (forget mp3). Even my very highend and well respected dealer uses a Sony ES mind you to demo the SSP-800 with movies and music
                                                            No one is arguing that CD and DVD are equal or better than blu-ray or high quality digital music. It's about enjoying the CD and DVD collections that you have.
                                                            Now I grant you that the Classé sources are beautiful but not for ten time the price sorry not for me.

I understand, everyone has to make a living, and those Nike we buy for $100 cost $10 made in China... Still 40% margins the retailers pockets fill-up quickly..
                                                            You've made it abundantly clear that price seems to be your number one factor, and that's fine. Consider for a moment that there are others where price may not be as high on the list. There's no need to continually admonish them.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Aug 2003

To call CD and DVD dead is an exaggeration to say the least. Yes sales are declining, but whether you like it or not, they are still the standards for physical media. Also, if you have a large collection in these media why wouldn't you invest in these technologies? Would you rather throw out your existing collections?
                                                              I've bought more CDs in the last three months than I have in the last 3 years. Best Buy has them for $9.99 now. I buy them, and rip them to my Sonos.

Was able to pick up a second Sonos yesterday for under $200 from Sound Advice since they are liquidating! I can plug it into my Zeppelin in the living room with the stupid TOSLINK to 1/4 mini port and get b&w and classe quality in my second zone! Its even better now that they give away software for the iphone/itouch to use as a controller.
                                                              I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• style
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Feb 2006

I've bought more CDs in the last three months than I have in the last 3 years. Best Buy has them for $9.99 now. I buy them, and rip them to my Sonos.

Was able to pick up a second Sonos yesterday for under $200 from Sound Advice since they are liquidating! I can plug it into my Zeppelin in the living room with the stupid TOSLINK to 1/4 mini port and get b&w and classe quality in my second zone! Its even better now that they give away software for the iphone/itouch to use as a controller.
                                                                Is a personal choice, I personally can not think of having an Ipod with all my music to them inside! I feel strange.
                                                                I prefer having my beautiful cover drive ... and unfortunately the 33LP there are more ..

I'm not interested in having a Sonos and an Ipod! I do not say anything...
                                                                Gives me the impression of not having anything .. music stolen...
                                                                I need to have a plastic part / cd disc in my hand ops:

This is MY PERSONAL position...

style

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                  • Aug 2003

Is a personal choice, I personally can not think of having an Ipod with all my music to them inside! I feel strange.
                                                                  I prefer having my beautiful cover drive ... and unfortunately the 33LP there are more ..

I'm not interested in having a Sonos and an Ipod! I do not say anything...
                                                                  Gives me the impression of not having anything .. music stolen...
                                                                  I need to have a plastic part / cd disc in my hand ops:

This is MY PERSONAL position...

style
                                                                  Here is the thing that sold me on the Sonos... First, I rip in AIF format and it is lossless, so consider that I am getting CD quality. Second, I have 350 CD's. Not what some have, but still quite a bit. I can access any song from any one of them and never have to leave my chair. I can queue them up easily and listen to anything I want at the touch of my finger. I don't have to disrupt my listening session, and I stay relaxed.

The Sonos can also tune in internet radio, which works good for the wife, who likes to have background noise to a theme when we are hosting company.

I really like the concept of having my music portable. My next step is an ipod player for my car.

Comment

• garak
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by sikoniko
                                                                    The Sonos can also tune in internet radio, which works good for the wife, who likes to have background noise to a theme when we are hosting company.

I really like the concept of having my music portable. My next step is an ipod player for my car.
                                                                    Do you subscribe to Sirius? How do you like it? I was considering this, but since I have DirecTV, I get some of the Sirius music channels already, and I not sure if I really want to subscribe just to get a couple of additional channels.

As far as the iPod player for the car, it is definitely worth it. I have one that integrates with the car radio, so I can control the iPod with the car's radio controls. It's great. I can have my entire music collection (Apple lossless, of course ) along with me in the car, without having to bring a trunk load of CDs.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                      • Aug 2003

Do you subscribe to Sirius? How do you like it? I was considering this, but since I have DirecTV, I get some of the Sirius music channels already, and I not sure if I really want to subscribe just to get a couple of additional channels.

As far as the iPod player for the car, it is definitely worth it. I have one that integrates with the car radio, so I can control the iPod with the car's radio controls. It's great. I can have my entire music collection (Apple lossless, of course ) along with me in the car, without having to bring a trunk load of CDs.
                                                                      no, I bought a floor model so I got free rhapsody and pandora accounts with my Sonos'.

Its kind of cool. You can create channels, such as halloween (since we had a halloween party) and play only music with that theme streaming from the internet.

Comment

• style
                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                        • Feb 2006

@ sikoniko,

I just said my opinion. I did not say that the solution you use does not go well. is also very convenient.
                                                                        Enjoy your Sonos...

Style

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                          • Aug 2003
                                                                          • 2299

:scratchhead:

your reply reads to me like I said something against your comment.

My comment was merely conversational and I tried to support why I went the route I did. It wasn't an attack or an attempt to say its the only way or the right way.

I make it analogous to line of site. We are all looking at the same object, we just see it from a different perspective. Does it really matter how we get there? Whats important is that we all get there. There is no right or wrong way.

Comment

• AV-OCD
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Aug 2008
                                                                            • 568

Speaking of music servers . . .

Here's my home brew version, using a Mac Mini and external 750GB HD. All music ripped in Apple Lossless of course.

And shot of the Apple Visualizer running while the music plays (fascinatng to watch by the way).

Comment

• msm
                                                                              Member
                                                                              • Aug 2008
                                                                              • 42

#39
                                                                              I have been listening to Sirius with Sonos and in my car, the upgrade to cd quality is a nice improvement and is worth it when you can not decide what to put on.

Comment

• garak
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Jul 2007
                                                                                • 310

#40
                                                                                Originally posted by AV-OCD
                                                                                Here's my home brew version, using a Mac Mini and external 750GB HD. All music ripped in Apple Lossless of course.

You know, the Mac mini almost looks like a Delta series component.

Comment

• beden1
                                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                                  • Oct 2006
                                                                                  • 1676

#41
                                                                                  AV-OCD,

How do you feel about your speakers now that you've had the chance of listening to them for a while?

Comment

• garak
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Jul 2007
                                                                                    • 310

#42
                                                                                    Originally posted by msm
                                                                                    I have been listening to Sirius with Sonos and in my car, the upgrade to cd quality is a nice improvement and is worth it when you can not decide what to put on.
                                                                                    Thanks. Do you have satellite? Just wondering how Sirius internet cd quality (128 kbs I think) compares with the quality through DirecTV. Does anybody know what bit rate DirecTV uses for Sirius?

Comment

• msm
                                                                                      Member
                                                                                      • Aug 2008
                                                                                      • 42

#43
                                                                                      Thanks. Do you have satellite? Just wondering how Sirius internet cd quality (128 kbs I think) compares with the quality through DirecTV. Does anybody know what bit rate DirecTV uses for Sirius?
                                                                                      I also have DirecTV but I have not tested the quality difference, I would assume the Sonos would sound better since I am paying for an upgraded bit rate but I will test it out and see.

Comment

• AV-OCD
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Aug 2008
                                                                                        • 568

#44
                                                                                        You know, the Mac mini almost looks like a Delta series component.
                                                                                        Yeah, I love how that worked out. Now if Sony only made a BluRay player in silver . . . . :P

Comment

• AV-OCD
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Aug 2008
                                                                                          • 568

#45
                                                                                          Originally posted by beden1
                                                                                          AV-OCD,

How do you feel about your speakers now that you've had the chance of listening to them for a while?
                                                                                          Well, I only got things relatively dialed in over the past couple of days. I was having some upper bass issues due to speaker placement and I was struggling with sub integration.

I moved the speakers back a bout six inches to minimize the upper bass hump and spent some time fiddling with the crossover point, the sub polarity and phase, and the crossover slope until I got something that sounded more balanced. I still have some lumpiness down low, but I should be able to tackle that with the 5 bands of EQ on the sub channel of the SSP-800.

Once those things were sorted out, I’ve really been enjoying the clean, detailed, expansive sound of the Wilson Benesch speakers. The funny thing is, for as long as I have been in this hobby, you would think that I would realize by now that some recordings just aren’t that good and great speakers aren’t going to change that. With that said, the WB’s don’t make mincemeat out of the bad recordings like some speakers do, which is a refreshing change. The WB sound is detailed, but not incisive or aggressive and they don’t harden up if you push the volume up. :T

I think I have a good foundation to work with in the WB speakers, and I’ll fine tune the sound I get in my room with the SSP-800 EQ.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"