X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mjb
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by JoseS
    Yep! And it's not like it's even significantly dimmed.
    Really dumb and useless if you ask me :roll: What were they thinking?
    Actually, I think it's exactly what users requested (see the Q&A with Dave Nauber in this forum)...
    As the old saying goes "be careful what you ask for"... At least it's an option now, and options are always good :T
    - Mike

Main System:
    B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
    Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• JoseS
      • Nov 2009

Yes guys, I agree that options are great, but couldn't Classe have given us a more significant one? I mean, dimming(just a bit I might add) the LED while it's OFF???? I'm aware that it was an option that was asked for, but how about the "OFF" option with the brightness setting toggle. Surely, that could've been just as easy and maybe even a bit more practical.

Comment

• wettou
        Ultra Senior Member
        • May 2006

Originally posted by wildtangent
        I believe what they were thinking about was this, from the last Q&A with Dave Nauber.

Wishes, in no particular order

1.5. An option to dim the LED lights on the front ("Global System Brightness", works on everything but the SSP-800: the screen dims, but not the LED). Alternatively the Display button on the remote could have a 4th step in the sequence: Bright, Medium, Dim, and Off.

Dave: There are two separate and distinct issues having to do with the standby LED and display options discussed.

Most SSP-800s shipped in 2010 use the same front panel board as the CT-SSP. The CT-SSP uses multiple LEDs where the SSP-800 uses only one. We are adding a button to the MENU/display setup/brightness page that will allow users to select a dim standby LED setting. For customers who have found the LED too bright, this should bring the brightness of the LED closer into line with the amps and disc players. The dim setting we are implementing is the lowest we can offer for this LED, so there will not be a future “even dimmer” setting for us to offer.
        Yes very useless, especially since the new Classé CA-M600 are even brighter and that does not work on them!! Anyway minor annoyance, I just cut a couple of black paper strips that I put in front when I want total darkness

Also when off the CA-M600 are red :E
        Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• aarsoe
          • May 2004

What I don't understand is why they did this as an option. Should it not just follow global setting via CAN bus? Now we have the SSP doing it one way and the rest of the series doing it via the global brightness setting..
          And why not pick a new supplier of the Blue LED. Ok so some of us with the "old" version would have to live with it, but why continue the mistake?

Comment

• style
            Super Senior Member
            • Feb 2006

yuo need a software from Classe: the stanb by "dimmer" can be the same for all the "Classe gears": is a little soft available with Classe official dealer.

my ssp was (in stanby) more "blu" vs. the 2 ampli: now are all the same"deep blue"!

style

Comment

• wettou
              Ultra Senior Member
              • May 2006

Originally posted by style
              yuo need a software from Classe: the stanb by "dimmer" can be the same for all the "Classe gears": is a little soft available with Classe official dealer. my ssp was (in stanby) more "blu" vs. the 2 ampli: now are all the same"deep blue"! style
              Why not include it in the upgrade, I know have red and blu as LED lights!!
              Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• ukwildcat
                • Dec 2010

You know, I've read quite a bit since I decided to buy Classe about the LEDs.

Why is it really so important to you that the LED be dimmable?
                I agree it's NICE, but I look at mine all night long and both operate and standby colors are quite pleasing. (another reason I'm glad I went with the CT-series)

Yes, they are SLIGHTLY different shades of orange or blue. Yes, I noticed that. Now, I work hard to be able to afford this stuff, so I should be VERY picky. But for the life of me, I don't understand why this is such a big deal.

I had an SP-800 loaner while my CT-SSP was being upgraded (the extra HDMI input was an unexpected bonus!) and that LED is so small.. Really, how big a deal is that? People here go on and on and on and on about dimming that tiny little LED.

In the bigger picture of how the product works, that would be REAL low on my list too.
                Getting all the features in and working correctly is what matters.

Personally, the OSD bothered me A LOT and now with the new board and 3.0.1, the revamped OSD is WONDERFUL. Now most of my complaints are gone. It was a little change - like your sacred LED - but it was VERY welcome.

If the decision was "shall we improve the OSD or the LED dimming?" Well..

Your LED dimming can go to hell.

Comment

• wettou
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • May 2006

Originally posted by ukwildcat

I agree it's NICE, but I look at mine all night long and both operate and standby colors are quite pleasing. (another reason I'm glad I went with the CT-series)

Yes, they are SLIGHTLY different shades of orange or blue. Yes, I noticed that. Now, I work hard to be able to afford this stuff, so I should be VERY picky. But for the life of me, I don't understand why this is such a big deal.

I had an SP-800 loaner while my CT-SSP was being upgraded (the extra HDMI input was an unexpected bonus!) and that LED is so small.. Really, how big a deal is that? People here go on and on and on and on about dimming that tiny little LED.

In the bigger picture of how the product works, that would be REAL low on my list too.

Personally, the OSD bothered me A LOT and now with the new board and 3.0.1, the revamped OSD is WONDERFUL. Now most of my complaints are gone. It was a little change - like your sacred LED - but it was VERY welcome.

Can you post picture of the OSD so we can see what we are missing by not upgrading?

Comment

• style
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Feb 2006

quote above!

@ukwildcat:
                    what for CT "gears" do you have?

I can immagine a ssp CA with the cdp202 and at the left & right 2 monos CT .

all CT serie in a finite elemente Pagode can be a good look too.....

well more "solution/ chioce" : at personal taste!

Comment

• aarsoe
                      • May 2004

Listen,to me the fact that the LED acts like a flashlight on the SSP-800 is just a lack of sense for details. Ok, we can all make a mistake a I think the sub-contractor probably changed the LED without informing Classe, but if you have a stack of delta gear where I am sure one of the purchase factors was looks, then I am simply perplexed why they don't change the LED to one that more closely matches all the other Delta gears one..
                      But ok, guess I will take my LED issue "to He'll".

Comment

• mjb
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by aarsoe
                        Listen,to me the fact that the LED acts like a flashlight on the SSP-800 is just a lack of sense for details.
                        I actually agree with you! As petty as it sounds, I too find it a bit sad that a rack full of Classé gear, costing perhaps 10's of thousands of euro's, should be visually spoiled by such a small "detail". End of rant!
                        Last edited by mjb; 07 May 2011, 14:30 Saturday.
                        - Mike

Main System:
                        B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS

Comment

• garak
                          • Jul 2007

IMO, all this talk of the LEDS is like buying a Ferrari and then complaining that it doesn't have cup holders.

Comment

• aarsoe
                            • May 2004

Originally posted by garak
                            IMO, all this talk of the LEDS is like buying a Ferrari and then complaining that it doesn't have cup holders.
                            Which is exactly why I won't have a garage full of Ferraris already. Nothing shall come between me and my cup of coffee. :W

Comment

• Skyblue
                              • Jun 2009

Which is exactly why I won't have a garage full of Ferraris already. Nothing shall come between me and my cup of coffee. :W
                              That, and the car tax I guess... :P
                              B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• JoseS
                                • Nov 2009

I've reloaded the previous 2.0.4FW. Had a problem with audio and video syncing with 2.0.5FW when toggling between digital and analog sources. Much worse than the usual with previous FWs. Had to reboot the Classe and sometimes the source(Verizon cable box) more than a half a dozen times.

Anyone else with the same experience?

Comment

• wettou
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • May 2006

I've reloaded the previous 2.0.4FW. Had a problem with audio and video syncing with 2.0.5FW when toggling between digital and analog sources. Much worse than the usual with previous FWs. Had to reboot the Classe and sometimes the source(Verizon cable box) more than a half a dozen times. Anyone else with the same experience?
                                  Ouch that doesn't sound good, I don't have cable so I don't have this problem just red screen once in a while

Comment

• Srrndhound
                                    • Sep 2008

I've reloaded the previous 2.0.4FW. Had a problem with audio and video syncing with 2.0.5FW when toggling between digital and analog sources. Much worse than the usual with previous FWs. Had to reboot the Classe and sometimes the source(Verizon cable box) more than a half a dozen times. Anyone else with the same experience?
                                    I have trouble with 3.0.1 failing to connect HDMI, usually the video, but have much better results with 2.9.9, which is the counterpart to 2.0.4. I have not had to reboot to fix it, just select some other source then go back and it works.

I have notified Classe in detail about which sources and which sequences cause problems. They said "first we heard of it" when I repeated the info even though I originally told them in January.

Make sure you report such problems and give details so they can best look into these matters. If there's no feedback, they figure all is well.

Comment

• wettou
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • May 2006

Originally posted by Srrndhound
                                      I have trouble with 3.0.1 failing to connect HDMI, usually the video, but have much better results with 2.9.9, which is the counterpart to 2.0.4. I have not had to reboot to fix it, just select some other source then go back and it works. I have notified Classe in detail about which sources and which sequences cause problems. They said "first we heard of it" when I repeated the info even though I originally told them in January? Make sure you report such problems and give details so they can best look into these matters. If there's no feedback, they figure all is well.
                                      With the move to China they have other things on the brain

Comment

• JoseS
                                        • Nov 2009

I have trouble with 3.0.1 failing to connect HDMI, usually the video, but have much better results with 2.9.9, which is the counterpart to 2.0.4. I have not had to reboot to fix it, just select some other source then go back and it works.

I have notified Classe in detail about which sources and which sequences cause problems. They said "first we heard of it" when I repeated the info even though I originally told them in January.

Make sure you report such problems and give details so they can best look into these matters. If there's no feedback, they figure all is well.
                                        Selecting a different input would usually work but not in this case. Was very frustrating. Was fairly random and hard to repeat but when it didn't sync, it required rebooting and sometimes that didn't fix it.

I only had Tom's previous email address and I know he's not there anymore. Anyone have a new email address?

Comment

• mjb
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Mar 2005

And this is with the new improved HDMI 1.4 board?
                                          - Mike

Main System:
                                          B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS

Comment

• Srrndhound
                                            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by mjb
                                            And this is with the new improved HDMI 1.4 board?
                                            Yes, that's why I have to use the alternative F/W flavors. I think 2.0.4 ≈ 2.9.9, and 2.0.5 ≈ 3.0.1.

Comment

• style
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Feb 2006

from what Isay Classe have little "delay to release" the new cp800 & ssp800 1.4 why they don't have the "perfect soft " to drive this 2 gears.

at München , next week, is sure present the CP800 but at today are prototype.... but is a very anazing innovation , not super expensive, grreat sound..well to be listen.
                                              for the ssp800 upgrade I dont have this thing in my plan. the sound is alwas the same.
                                              style

Comment

• wettou
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • May 2006

Maybe the move to China will bring new software engineers to work on the software :T Maybe they can get some of Apple software gurus :B

Comment

• style
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Feb 2006

sorry wetou,

you sell your Classe? or you keep it at home?

the new cam600 ,from you just purchased, what you have invest yur money in a bad China product like this Classe? (the cam600 now ar made in Canada but is the same tomorow, are not 2 type of cam600 version China and version Canada: always China product!= not good for a 2hand purchasing!

and the top sond will be deliveryd from a emotiva? :B

Comment

• wettou
                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                    • May 2006

Originally posted by style
                                                    sorry wetou, you sell your Classe? or you keep it at home?
                                                    the new cam600 ,from you just purchased, what you have invest yur money in a bad China product like this Classe? (the cam600 now ar made in Canada but is the same tomorow, are not 2 type of cam600 version China and version Canada: always China product!= not good for a 2hand purchasing!
                                                    and the top sond will be deliveryd from a emotiva? :B
                                                    Sorry I am not sure I understand, anyway I hope the CA-M600 amps will last for at least ten years.
                                                    Bryston warranty their amps for 20 years, I wonder if Classé will last that long by then I will need a hearing aid so who cares :W

Also, this is not an investment it is a hobby, expensive one mind you

After that I think I will revert back to cheaper AV systems like Marantz.

Comment

• aarsoe
                                                      • May 2004

Gents

Quick question. My SSP-800 is being switched out for another one due to issues with the HMDI 1.4 upgrade (Nothing serious, just a cable that was soldered instead of being attached with a Molex plug).
                                                      Now I have been searching all over the place to see if there is a way that I can pull the settings out in a file and move it to the new one. I know how to get access to the service menu, but cannot see anything at all indicating you can do that there. Only the storing locally in memory.
                                                      Anybody knows for sure? Would love to not have to go through the setup. Takes forever..

Comment

• wildtangent
                                                        • Dec 2006

Gents

Quick question. My SSP-800 is being switched out for another one due to issues with the HMDI 1.4 upgrade (Nothing serious, just a cable that was soldered instead of being attached with a Molex plug).
                                                        Now I have been searching all over the place to see if there is a way that I can pull the settings out in a file and move it to the new one. I know how to get access to the service menu, but cannot see anything at all indicating you can do that there. Only the storing locally in memory.
                                                        Anybody knows for sure? Would love to not have to go through the setup. Takes forever..
                                                        You can do this with the downloader program that you use to update the firmware.

Start an update as usual but when you get to the page with check boxes to select the type of action uncheck update firmware and check upload user settings. I’m not sure of the exact wording but it will be obvious. This will save the settings to your PC in a file called settings.bak. Later you can reverse the process by downloading the user settings. If I have the sequence reversed (download instead of upload) this should be obvious too because you will be prompted for the file to send to the SSP on the next screen instead of the progress screen. Just back up and reverse the steps.

Comment

• wettou
                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                          • May 2006

I know how to get access to the service menu, but cannot see anything at all indicating you can do that there. Only the storing locally in memory...Anybody knows for sure? Would love to not have to go through the setup. Takes forever..
                                                          Sorry I don't, how do you get to the Service Menu?

Comment

• aarsoe
                                                            • May 2004

Originally posted by wettou
                                                            Sorry I don't, how do you get to the Service Menu?
                                                            Go to the menu screen and then pres F1, F2, F3, F4 on the remote.

Comment

• aarsoe
                                                              • May 2004

Originally posted by wildtangent
                                                              You can do this with the downloader program that you use to update the firmware.

Start an update as usual but when you get to the page with check boxes to select the type of action uncheck update firmware and check upload user settings. I’m not sure of the exact wording but it will be obvious. This will save the settings to your PC in a file called settings.bak. Later you can reverse the process by downloading the user settings. If I have the sequence reversed (download instead of upload) this should be obvious too because you will be prompted for the file to send to the SSP on the next screen instead of the progress screen. Just back up and reverse the steps.
                                                              Ended up having my old SSP-800 on top of the new one and then manually go through each setting and copying the information manually.

Just watched Tangled. Don't know if the soundtrack is that good but for some reason the new SSP-800 with the HDMI 1.4 board sounded better than it have ever done before.
                                                              Love the pass-through function. That alone was worth the cost of the upgrade for me.
                                                              Did however not detect any change in ordinary stereo mode that uses the XLR input..

Comment

• wettou
                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                • May 2006

Ended up having my old SSP-800 on top of the new one and then manually go through each setting and copying the information manually. Just watched Tangled. Don't know if the soundtrack is that good but for some reason the new SSP-800 with the HDMI 1.4 board sounded better than it have ever done before. Love the pass-through function. That alone was worth the cost of the upgrade for me. Did however not detect any change in ordinary stereo mode that uses the XLR input..
                                                                Spoke with Classé the HDMi 1.4 board is video and does not improve the sound :E

Comment

• aarsoe
                                                                  • May 2004

It may be video, but also handles the HDMI audio.. One other thing is that beside the HDMI board there is also a metal shield installed when you upgrade to 1.4. Maybe that lowers the noise floor ...?
                                                                  All I can say is that the soundtrack sounded truly spectacular..

Comment

• wettou
                                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                                    • May 2006

True HDMi passes Audio who knows!

But again according to the powers that be at Classé the sound is not improved. I think that if the HDMi 1.4 it improved the sound they would use this in marketing as it would increase people to upgrade to HDMi 1.4 and sell more boards at $1500 :B

Comment

• wettou
                                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                                      • May 2006

Go to the menu screen and then pres F1, F2, F3, F4 on the remote.
                                                                      Gracias

Comment

• wettou
                                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                                        • May 2006

What does the service menu allows you to do?

Comment

• aarsoe
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • May 2004

Store settings in a permanent memory area before updates, some communication settings for the CAN bus and finally the most useful setting - namely that you can see how long you unit have been turned on..

Comment

• rompower
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • May 2008
                                                                            • 241

Originally posted by ukwildcat

Can you pleast post a picture of the new OSD?!?!?!?

Comment

• wettou
                                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                                              • May 2006
                                                                              • 3389

Battle of the DACs

Hello

I was wondering if any of you have ever compared the following for better sound quality for Blu Ray Music?

OPTION 1: Oppo BDP-95 to HDMi to SSP-800
                                                                              Using the DAC in the SSP-800; Left, Right, Center, Subwoofer and both auxiliary channels use the
                                                                              Burr-Brown PCM1792,
                                                                              and the four surround channels employ
                                                                              Burr-Brown PCM1792 PCM1796 DAC

or

OPTION 2: Oppo BDP-95 7 RCA to RCA to SSP-800
                                                                              Using the DAC in the Oppo, BDP-95 uses two ES9018 DAC chips - one for the 7.1-channel output, and another for the dedicated stereo output

Comment

• Skyblue
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Jun 2009
                                                                                • 504

Ended up having my old SSP-800 on top of the new one and then manually go through each setting and copying the information manually.

Just watched Tangled. Don't know if the soundtrack is that good but for some reason the new SSP-800 with the HDMI 1.4 board sounded better than it have ever done before.
                                                                                Love the pass-through function. That alone was worth the cost of the upgrade for me.
                                                                                Did however not detect any change in ordinary stereo mode that uses the XLR input..
                                                                                Didn't the old 1.3 have passthrough as well?

Incidentially I dont think my 2 channel XLR sounds as good as it should. Anyone got any tips?
                                                                                B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• wettou
                                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                  • May 2006
                                                                                  • 3389

Originally posted by Skyblue
                                                                                  Yes it did it is called direct:W

Comment

• Srrndhound
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Sep 2008
                                                                                    • 446

I think the passthrough being referred to is HDMI standby.

Incidentally I dont think my 2 channel XLR sounds as good as it should.
                                                                                    "Good" as in what respect?

What is the source and what modes of SSP processing are being used?

Comment

• Skyblue
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Jun 2009
                                                                                      • 504

Hmm so I have some 24/88.2 material I want to play from windows. But no. It says that the SSP800 does not support that frequency. 96khz, yes. 88.2 No. Is this just windows messing up, or is it true? Can anything be done about it?

Comment

• Skyblue
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Jun 2009
                                                                                        • 504

And another question: Does anyone know if the ssp800 is a fully balanced design? Is it better with balanced cables vs. nonbalanced or does it make no difference at all?

Comment

• mjb
                                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                                          • Mar 2005
                                                                                          • 1483

Does anyone know if the ssp800 is a fully balanced design? Is it better with balanced cables vs. nonbalanced.
                                                                                          I don't think it's a strictly "end to end" balanced design as the primary signal source was designed to be digital. The Output Buffers are balanced, using National Semiconductor LME49720 - see the first page of this thread for more info.

I would always use balanced cables if both "pre-out", and "amp-in" are presented balanced.
                                                                                          - Mike

Main System:
                                                                                          B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS

Comment

• Srrndhound
                                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                                            • Sep 2008
                                                                                            • 446

^^ Like he said!

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"