• Feb 2008

Moved to Classe SSP-800 thread.
    merlin

Comment

• wettou
      Ultra Senior Member
      • May 2006

Kal,

As a professional reviewer, do you think that the SSP-800 will be able to live to the hipe and be the best processor! It is missing many things:

-THX Ultra 2 Plus,
      - All the new Codec DTS-MA & DD True HD, DD+
      - Upscaling Video to 1080p
      - Auto Calibration and so on it seems that the Denon will blow it away and for $1000 less!

Denon AVP-A1HD
      - 12 channel A/V Pre-amplifier
      - THX® Ultra2 certified
      - New DDSC-HD circuitry
      - Dolby® TrueHD, DD+ and dts-HD™ Master Audio decoding
      - HDMI v1.3a compatible
      - Analog Devices SHARC processors Burr-Brown 24-Bit/192kHz DACs on all 12 channels
      - Silicon Optix Realta HQV
      - Audyssey MultEQ XT Room Correction with up to eight position setup
      - Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g, Windows Vista and DLNA certified
      - Ethernet and RS-232C ports
      - RDS, HD Radio and XM Radio ready
      - 2-way remote capability with optional RC-7000CI and RC-7001RCI remote system

Here is the full spec
      Commerce Cloud Storefront Reference Architecture
      Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by wettou
        Kal,

As a professional reviewer, do you think that the SSP-800 will be able to live to the hipe and be the best processor!
        ???Dunno. If the answer was simple, there would be only one processor and no reviewers.

Kal
        Kal Rubinson

Comment

• RebelMan
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Kal,

As a professional reviewer, do you think that the SSP-800 will be able to live to the hipe and be the best processor! It is missing many things:
          I have commented on this in more detail in the other thread, but to summarize it here the SSP-800 is not "missing" a single thing.

I think it is interesting to note that there is absolutely no technical reason why Kal couldn't replace his Meridian 861 with the feature rich Integra DTC 9.8 but yet he chooses not to. That speaks volumes to me. However, I'm certain (costs aside) the SSP-800 would have no problems supplanting the Old Guard.
          "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• wettou
            Ultra Senior Member
            • May 2006

Well, proof is in the pudding , we will find out soon one more month before we can hear the SSP-800 and read independent reviews.

I plan to wait until Classé includes the new codec available with their upgrade, (fall-winter 08?)

$8,000 for something that is half baked is not very serious!
            Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• RebelMan
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

Well, proof is in the pudding , we will find out soon one more month before we can hear the SSP-800 and read independent reviews.

I plan to wait until Classé includes the new codec available with their upgrade, (fall-winter 08?)

$8,000 for something that is half baked is not very serious!
              Half baked? Hardly. Some very big names are taking Classe's lead to deliver SS audio performance rivaling discrete electronics. However, common names like Integra, Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer and others will not be among them. If it's the lack of advanced audio decoders that's giving you pause then you've been mislead. Multi-channel PCM is supported and is all you need for the full enjoyment of high definition audio. The codecs are superfluous. The SSP-800 is serious about one thing and only one thing... sound!

Comment

• wettou
                Ultra Senior Member
                • May 2006

Well, that is true as long as your Blu Ray player decodes the new formats otherwise we are out of luck.

Yes all that interest me is sound as well. I am curious have heard the new codec especially DTS-Master Audio and compared with DTS?

Comment

• RebelMan
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

Well, that is true as long as your Blu Ray player decodes the new formats otherwise we are out of luck.
                  I see history somewhat repeating itself. Most if not all initial DVD player's only decoded DD, dts didn't become a staple until much later on. Blu-ray players have more lax requirements but the first round or two generally supported DD+ and DTHD. As the format matures dtsHD will become more common with players. Sony is offering two options with it 3rd generation players, one with dtsHD decoding the other without. Of course they differ on price too.

Yes all that interest me is sound as well. I am curious have heard the new codec especially DTS-Master Audio and compared with DTS?
                  I have heard demos and yes the results can be quite amazing. But popular opinion is misplaced about dtsHD-MA. dtsHD-MA encoded tracks are usually remastered and boosted. When people compare a dtsHD-MA track with an MCH-LPCM track of the same title they swear that the former is much better. The truth is they are much different. When the same master is used and both encodes are leveled during playback the results are indistinguishable.

Comment

• wettou
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • May 2006

Yes the Sony will be available this fall and decode all new codecs so I guess it is not necessary for the processor to do so! :

Still for $8K it would be nice to have that built in.

Comment

• hifiguymi
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Mar 2007

This post was from a little while back.

Originally posted by Suresh T
                      Thanks Eric! Please let us know your findings.

BTW, that is a good point on the BD Profile. I should clarify that I am mainly interested in the audio decoding. I am not knowledgable enough about the profile stuff, i.e. how much of decoding is needed, etc. If I am not mistaken, there is some Java code that is involved. I will be doing more research on this.:-)
                      After doing some listening with a couple of movies (Ghost Rider and The Fifth Element) and music (Legends of Jazz Showcase) a few times over the system sounds better with the DVD-3800BDCI doing the decoding (as opposed to the AVR-3808CI). Both units have the same surround sound decoder, Denon's D.D.S.C. HD, but when the BD player was doing the decoding of the Dolby TrueHD the sound was smoother, more open, and the bass was much tighter. I, as was one of the other guys here, was pretty surprised how much better it sounded with the player doing the decoding.

Eric

Comment

• wettou
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • May 2006

Sounds cool I can't wait to hear DD true HD and DTS-Master Audio I am starting a small blu ray collection. Do you know if Classé is working out on a blu ray player? Of course they will have to line up with Oppo

Also those of you who have been long term Classé owners what is the life span of a processor like the SSP-600? My Sony TA-E9000ES processor is over eight years old now and this thing works like a charm.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"