X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stian-
    • Oct 2010

Natalie P: Using Seas 27TBFC/G

Hi All,

Soooo, the good "old" Natalie P. I built a set of these back in 2010 - and where really happy with them for several years. But you all know, fingers start tikling and you have to do a new build, which was the Khanspires in 2013. These speakers shares the tweeter, and was sold out at PE when i was purchasing materials for the Khanspires - but they had RS28F in stock so i took a pair of those, and took the RS28A from my older Nat`s to use in the Khanspires. Great idea right? When switching out the RS28A`s, i mounted RS28F in Nat`s without thinking any more about it. Now several years later - Khanspires is out of use (i think they went out already around 2016/2017), and i have since enjoyed speakers based on Linkwitz works (LXmini + LX521.4). Earlier this winter i had an amplifier break down (DIY as well), which forced me to the good old Natalie P`s again. But they did not sound as i remember them, not being as "open" as they where - atleast as how i remember them. I knew i changed the tweeters so i was starting to look for some replacement, RS28A is no where to be found and out of production - the new replacement from PE cant be compared, they are very different.

I found that JonMarsh suggested using DA25TX008 - which would probably be a great replacement. But it suffers of different dimensions on the faceplate which does not fit my cabinets. Evil Twin also had recommandation of using the SB Acoustics SB26CDC-C0004 in a thread - same issue for me. Not suitable dimensional wise. So the hunt started, now i have been using Linkwitz design for several years so i did a quick checkout with Seas immediatly finding the 27TBFC/G tweeter which i tought looks promising for my target, its a metal dome with low FS and sensitivity close to the RS28A`s. Oh and its face plate is 0.4mm smaller in diameter - perfect! Only some minor changes to the crossover and i feel reasonable happy with the result. Much more crispy and detailed sound. Now i went from Linkwitz LX521.4 to the Natalie P`s. Let me tell you that the Nat`s absolutely have the clarity and great details - but LX521.4 have a stage width that blows my mind. Nat`s cannot compare there, and where never ment too, they are in two different price groups. But price wise, Nat`s beat the sh.. out if LX521.

I have attached the crossover here. Tweeter limiting resistor should have been larger, but its quite a lot of work to do this change for me. instead of 1R it should have been ~1.6R as it is slightly sharp. I did run a measurement on REW buts its on a different computer so i will upload these results later - it very similiar to the ones from VituixCAD, just a little more smoother.

EDIT: Ahh, forgot, this must be included. You know these Khanspires where decommisioned, and i spared the parts of these including the tweeters... Yes - INCLUDING the tweeters. Now i left these laying around in the basement safe on a shelf. Girlfriend found these to be great balasts for hanging up bedclothes on the shelf.. I did not notice for two-three years and when i found out they where really rusty - garbage really, and was then thrown away(the tweeters, gf have been forgiven).. Watch over your stuff, you never know what damages it 🙃

Stian
  • Stian-
    • Oct 2010

Attached is a image of one of the beauties with Seas tweeter.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240504_161459.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	2.02 MB
ID:	953204
    Last edited by theSven; 06 May 2024, 09:04 Monday. Reason: Put image inline instead of attachment

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

what an interesting tale of evolution... glad you've got things running satisfactorily, and mechanically compatible! That last bit can be pretty tricky, as you know know!
      the AudioWorx
      Natalie P
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Dave Bullet
        • Jul 2007

I'm glad you like the 27TBFC/G. I found it had problems in the 2KHz area in my design. It sure had detail but was fatiguing. If I crossed it at 2.5KHz or higher (4th order) it sounded better. Problem is I had a midwoofer breakup problem to address meaning a higher XO point wasn't possible.

I ended up using a 27TDFC/G (fabric dome with grille), same motor etc... and found that less fatiguing.

I may re-use / revisit the 27TBFC/G in future.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"