Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DeathMonk
    • Jun 2008

3-Way Bluetooth Speaker Build

Long time member, but I've been away for a while. I've built several designs and recently liberated some drivers from a presentation cart/tv /soundbar that was destined for the electronics recycler at work. I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to try learn speaker design.

Some initial investigation looks to be pretty decent drivers:

1x Seas 25TAFNC/QG tweeter
    2x Peerless TG9FD Fullrange
    2x Seas L15RC/P

I'll be getting the measurement and design tools later this year (after I finish some projects around the house) but in the meantime I would like your thoughts and opinions on enclosure design and baffle layout. Being a speaker designed to move around I need something stable that wont tip easily. I very much appreciate your input!

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20230826_151905242.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	948574
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

What room and what placement are you considering? Will this be fed a stereo signal? Have you picked your electronics yet? Downloaded data sheets for these drivers? If I was asked to comment (which you sort of have...) I'd likely suggest that the tweeter is the weak point on this crew, but there's lot of alternatives from Seas, for example, like the 27TBFC, or 27TAC, which a basic HF notch filter can smooth out nicely. But were I in your shoes, I'd give the classic 27TBCD/GB-DXT a close look- the diffraction tweeter is well worth the extra money. In fact, I just bought a pair of those to evaluate for another project...

Click image for larger version  Name:	h1499.jpg Views:	0 Size:	95.6 KB ID:	948591

The directivity control and lower distortion down low are big points for this tweeter. Frankly, you could do a very good two way with these and your Seas Prestige woofers, and save a lot of money on the crossover, though I'd guess with this complement of drivers very low order slopes were probably used, keeping the parts count down (if a passive crossover were used- often it's something done in DSP).

Click image for larger version  Name:	h1499_graph.jpg Views:	0 Size:	69.9 KB ID:	948592

What's more impressive is the directivity and extended polar response off axis:

Click image for larger version  Name:	seas_27tbcd_dxt_winkel-2.png Views:	0 Size:	23.9 KB ID:	948593

This is at 0 (black), 15 degrees, 30 degrees, 45 degrees, and 60 degrees. This is much better HF polar extension that you can obtain from a "naked" dome.

I'm thinking off the bat of something a bit sound bar like, with tweeter(s) on the outside, which means two, of course. But this is where understanding your electronics choice comes in, to plan for mono or stereo.

BTW, I have some of the little Peerless full range guys, had been investigating a line array using them from 300Hz on up- may get to that some day, but right now it's a back burner project. They should be very easy to work with.

Last suggestion, probably what I should have lead off with, download a copy of VituixCAD and start getting familiar with it so you'll have a basis for what to do with the measurement data you'll eventually have...

Here's the online Help file if you feel like spending a little time looking it over...

https://kimmosaunisto.net/Software/V...D_help_20.html

the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• DeathMonk
      • Jun 2008

What room and what placement are you considering?
      The plan is for a portable speaker that can be used anywhere.

Will this be fed a stereo signal?
      Mono

Have you picked your electronics yet?
      Not yet.

Downloaded data sheets for these drivers?
      Yes.

But were I in your shoes, I'd give the classic 27TBCD/GB-DXT a close look
      I like the off axis response. It seems like it might be worth it for a speaker where you wont always be at the correct listening position.

I do plan on familiarizing myself with VituixCad. How does it compare to Xsim? I see both used and recommended. As far as baffle layout I was thinking something like this but really don't know the benefits or drawbacks of different layouts.

---M
      W T W
      ---M

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

From checking it out briefly, X-Sim is a basic passive crossover simulator, created by Liberty Instruments; the last posting on his site shows a file directory for the program and some demonstration files dated 2017; it's reportedly under development (according to message on the web site) but I have a feeling the guy is retired. I've used Praxis and other products from them in the past, but moved on to more useful items. It provides a subset of the capacities of an old program like LspCAD. But it is free, and possibly a faster learning curve for a beginner.

VituixCAD is used by many professional companies, and for good reason- it's the premier tool out there, and besides the primary simulation/development tool, incudes tools for many common calculations as well as a baffle response calculator, directivity analysis and plotting, etc.

We're talking early elementary school versus college post graduate capabilities.

For individual home users, VituixCAD is free, but I donate monthly to Kimmo- it's worth every penny and then some. Besides passive crossovers it supports a wide variety of active digital tools, and of course you can do active analog crossovers with it, too.

And it's continually evolving and improving- last time I downloaded an update was this weekend. That's a little more recent than 2017.

Just go to the link I provided and start checking it out.

I like the off axis response. It seems like it might be worth it for a speaker where you wont always be at the correct listening position.
        Well, for a mono portable speaker, that's likely to be most of the time!

​​​​​​​Good luck with your project! And feel free to query folks how they do measurement as well as design. You might get some useful ideas...
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• DeathMonk
          • Jun 2008

Thanks for the replies, Jon.

I downloaded VituixCad last night and was playing around with some Dayton drivers. This is some seriously impressive software - and overwhelming. I have my work cut out for me.

There is a wealth of information out there to get me pretty far into this project but I'm sure I'll have questions.

It might be a while but I will post updates as things progress.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"