Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • crackyflipside
    • Nov 2006

Building better crossovers: Measure, model, predict, build, and test

Unnecessary Backstory: About two decades ago, my parents were building a new house and gave a budget to build a theater room. I was still in high school and loved listening to music. Initially we were just going to do a Bose all in one speaker system with a big screen, since that is what was popular at the time. Thankfully another friend was more obsessed with AV at the time and pointed me towards some forums. I got inspired by seeing theaters posted in online forums. They had a meet-up demo of some guys theater, and I went with some people and my dad, who promptly increased our budget... but everything is so still dang expensive. So I got into the DIY section of the forums for subwoofers and inevitably ran into the guys building DIY speakers and this forum, then got to listen to some RS TMWW speakers that the user chasw98 built. Eventually we built three CJD Khanspires for a matching L/C/R speakers behind an acoustically transparent screen, four of CJD's 2-way speakers for the surrounds with enclosures built into the false ceiling, and 4 x 18" infinite baffle subwoofer using a false ceiling as the airspace. I tried to build my own short 3-way speaker and it went well but the final product didn't measure how I predicted and it left a sour taste in my mouth that I left some performance on the table. A few years later I got an itch to build a big horn loaded TMWW speaker with AMT tweeter and mid using Marcel Batik's design tool: https://at-horns.eu/

The Meaningful Part: I previously built a test baffle for the speakers to test very simple horns. Decided to test building a crossover there. Below is the rural testing set-up with foam to suppress tile first reflection:

Click image for larger version

Name:	MVogRN6.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	330.0 KB
ID:	943773

Using a calibrated mic and DATS, I measured the RS-225 woofer and the AMTPRO-4 individually to generate FRD and ZMA files, then measure together to estimate the time alignment in XSim. Then I built a simple crossover for the mid and woofer. The notch filter was to flatten an ugly 10kHZ peak when using this driver without horn loading, and is the reason for the impedance dip at the very high frequencies. The tweeter is not modeled here, but will be for a future project; though with 2 woofers can be built the same way with 2nd and 3rd order crossovers and L-pads and not dip below 4 ohms.

This is not a speaker you want to listen to. This study's only concern was the crossover. My test setup limits me to measuring down to 300hz from impulse gating the measurement for room reflection effects, and is irrelevant with an open baffle like this anyways.

Here is the modeled crossover response and the schematic made in XSim:

Name:	GDKVTku.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	943769 Click image for larger version

Name:	SrUpTet.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	471.6 KB
ID:	943770

Then built the crossover, which is the mess below the speaker in the first picture. Then measured the actual response (red line) of the crossover against the predicted response (blue line) using XSim:

Name:	eKbBn7a.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	363.1 KB
ID:	943771

Here is out of phase actual (red) vs predicted (blue):

Name:	TPPg3j8.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	394.7 KB
ID:	943772

Disclaimer: Apologies for not being explicitly clear on the measurement process and time alignment estimation. I'm still learning and can HIGHLY recommend this guy's courses on crossovers and the one on measuring speakers which taught me how to build a simple crossover that measures in real life how it was modeled: https://www.udemy.com/user/marius-tanasescu-2/ No I haven't been paid, I just deeply appreciate his content and how it helped me finally get better results.​
    Last edited by theSven; 02 July 2023, 21:30 Sunday. Reason: Update image location and remove imgur links
    -Chris B

;x( DIY
  • technodanvan
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2009

You know, I've used Udemy, Coursera, and another learning site or two in the past and it never occurred to me to see what existed for DIY speakers!
    - Danny

Comment

• tktran
      • Jan 2005

It's relatively new. Marius' course is fantastic. I've taken it, and it's better than LDC and Speakerbuilding 201 and well, pretty much anything out there in C21.

He uses up to date modern hardware and software and for the price of a pair of tweeters gets anyone willing to learn up to speed. From there I graduated to VItuixCAD2 and haven't looked back.

Forget about reading manuals from SoundEasy or lspCAD- video/audio learning with ability to pause and resume at a later stage is a revolution in learning. Plus the ability to directly ask the lecturer questions is amazing.

Marius also runs a YouTube channel and website called Audio Judgement. Not bad for beginners but the Udemy Course is better. I don't get kickbacks for recommending his course, I just think it's the crossover designer's secret. I shared my finding about it 2 years ago here:

Online course for Speaker and Crossover design | diyAudio
      Last edited by theSven; 04 July 2023, 10:05 Tuesday. Reason: Update text

Comment

• Reet
        • Dec 2007

I'd ditch the pile of foam on the floor, it's not doing you any favours, just making it harder to discern the floor reflection in the impulse. Main problem is damping material doesn't absorb all frequencies equally. High frequencies are easily absorbed, low frequencies less so. When gating a measurement, we are interested in maximizing the low frequency resolution. Foam dampens the high frequency portion which appears easily on the impulse response (fast rate of change), however there is still low frequency reflection. This will simply lead to bad gate choices.

I haven't reviewed the course, but I can't vouch for Audiojudgement as a good source for information, simply due to this disaster of a measurement jig guide:
        If you use this application a lot, having a couple of probes just won't cut it. Making a SoundEasy measurement box is in order.

The measurement jig article available here on HTGuide was written specifically because someone was trying to follow the above mess and running into problems.

Next steps on measurement process for loudspeaker design would be to ditch the USB mic, standard XLR mic for full spatial measurements with timing reference, VCAD for design for complete power & DI & directivity charts.
        https://discord.gg/h5SuNKDJfx

Comment

• technodanvan
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2009

I really need to get a proper set for measurement. I just have Omnimic - which certainly works, mostly - but having some options and exploring other software would be nice. I also have a Dayton non-USB mic of some kind but don't have an interface for powering it (or attaching it to a computer), so I should probably look into that soon.

I also need a turntable, but I keep waiting for Steve Manning to release his version to the public. Given his workload, it might be a while I suppose.

Edit: I just noticed Omnimic is NLA at PE. Wonder what the plan is on that front.
          - Danny

Comment

• Reet
            • Dec 2007

Replacement options for Omnimic are UMIK or Dayton UMM-6. Perhaps Dayton realizes that REW provides a lot more functionality for free so they shouldn't waste development effort in dedicated product specific software solutions.

For your XLR EMM-6 mic, literally any 2in/2out USB audio interface, keep an eye on your local classifieds, I see these things available all the time locally. Behringer UMC202HD is the cheapest available that is good enough for most people. I used to use Steinberg UR22mkii for a few years, recently upgraded to Motu M4.

Comment

• tktran
              • Jan 2005

Next steps on measurement process for loudspeaker design would be to ditch the USB mic, standard XLR mic for full spatial measurements with timing reference, VCAD for design for complete power & DI & directivity charts.
              in the olden days we just had to RTFM.

But if one is starting off; between Omnimic, SoundEasy, LspCAD or any of the older Liberty Instruments apps, IMHO it’s the least complicated way way to learn passive crossover design for beginners. It’s an older course that was taught using using Xsim.

He’s planning a complete overhaul which includes REW and VituixCAD2, but no completion date just yet.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                JonMarsh commented
                Editing a comment
                Some days I get the impression that one of the impacts of the last decade or so of social media is that a lot of folks just don't want to RTFM! If there isn't a video, they don't have the time or patience...

It's ironic, because a lot of the success of my day job career was going above and beyond on RTFM, and RTFCPs (CP= Conference Papers).

And then there are weirdos like me, I'll vote for the Moto M4, with an Earthworks M30, but on the software wide I've been a Fuzzmeasure guy for a long long time.

• Reet
              • Dec 2007

Originally posted by tktran
              in the olden days we just had to RTFM.
              Still the case in the current times. Most questions asked from new users to VCAD are answered by "read the help file - how to get started", and "read the measurement guide". But with the internet as a modern source of information, it is easy to find conflicting information, outdated information, bad advice, different views/opinions, and information presented in the wrong order. So a real course on loudspeaker design is a good idea, but please, not with a USB mic . Avoid USB mic not just for the modern "VCAD ways", but also because measurement with timing reference can provide better understanding of phase, delay, time of flight if you can see the real change in excess phase and impulse location relative to t=0 as audio sources are moved around. Avoid Xsim as well for the "outdated" category, it is end of life software from 2015, VCAD is the continuation with all the same features + 100x more.

Comment

• Steve Manning
                • Dec 2006

Originally posted by technodanvan
                I really need to get a proper set for measurement. I just have Omnimic - which certainly works, mostly - but having some options and exploring other software would be nice. I also have a Dayton non-USB mic of some kind but don't have an interface for powering it (or attaching it to a computer), so I should probably look into that soon.

I also need a turntable, but I keep waiting for Steve Manning to release his version to the public. Given his workload, it might be a while I suppose.

Edit: I just noticed Omnimic is NLA at PE. Wonder what the plan is on that front.
                That reminds me that Bill was interested in one and I had started on a design back before I moved. Your right about my work load, but I need to look into that again. It would certainly be more efficient to make several at once than piece meal them out.
                Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

Comment

• tktran
                  • Jan 2005

Steve,

If you can planning on a turntable with motorised/automated, please count me in! John Mulcahy has advised that a REST API is in the pipeline for REW to control measurements through the API...

Comment

• crackyflipside
                    • Nov 2006

Thanks for the recommendations. VCAD is definitely on my list to learn how to use. I'll try to get some better mics to measure.
                    -Chris B

;x( DIY

Comment

• crackyflipside
                      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Reet
                      Replacement options for Omnimic are UMIK or Dayton UMM-6. Perhaps Dayton realizes that REW provides a lot more functionality for free so they shouldn't waste development effort in dedicated product specific software solutions.

For your XLR EMM-6 mic, literally any 2in/2out USB audio interface, keep an eye on your local classifieds, I see these things available all the time locally. Behringer UMC202HD is the cheapest available that is good enough for most people. I used to use Steinberg UR22mkii for a few years, recently upgraded to Motu M4.
                      Reet Will this work with an EMM6? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EK1OTZC...language=en_US

It's the 1-channel version of the Behringer UMC202HD
                      -Chris B

;x( DIY

Comment

• Reet
                        • Dec 2007

I would try to avoid that and similar devices for a dual channel measurement setup. Main concern would be that electronically, the 2 inputs are not the same. It could be fine, or could require a measurement jig with different voltage divider on each channel, especially for impedance measurement use. Best to use a fully capable 2 channel input to ensure that both channels are the matched, which is the most important factor for a dual channel measurement.

Comment

• crackyflipside
                          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Reet
                          I would try to avoid that and similar devices for a dual channel measurement setup. Main concern would be that electronically, the 2 inputs are not the same. It could be fine, or could require a measurement jig with different voltage divider on each channel, especially for impedance measurement use. Best to use a fully capable 2 channel input to ensure that both channels are the matched, which is the most important factor for a dual channel measurement.
                          I'm kind of confused why the need for dual channel measurement. Are you taking measurements from two positions?

If it's just for impedance measurement, I have a DATS unit. So this single channel one should be fine to run the EMM6 for measurements, right?

Unless something is flying over my head, I'm just trying to save some bucks. Thank you for the help!
                          -Chris B

;x( DIY

Comment

• Reet
                            • Dec 2007

Dual channel allows the measurement to capture timing information for each driver, for accurate phase relation between measurements. Especially important if capturing full 360 degrees of information, each driver may have 12-24 or more measurements associated with it. Dual channel jig with a few resistors for voltage divider provides ability to measure impedance at any output level, not just small signal of DATS, as well as crossover transfer function. It provides ability to compensate for all amplitude nonlinearities between source and driver from cabling, amp, and even a protection cap for delicate tweeters.

Nice articles here for more details:

Here's a schematic for a simple dual channel measurement jig, which can be used with ARTA, REW, or SoundEasy.

Additional reference material, CTA-2034 standard:

And the measurement guides for VituixCAD:
                            REW: https://kimmosaunisto.net/Software/V...rement_REW.pdf
                            ARTA: https://kimmosaunisto.net/Software/V...rement_REW.pdf

Comment

• theSven
                              theSven commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Great write up of links to share Reet!
                          Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"