X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wayne A. Pflughaupt
    • Jun 2002

Hi Cam,

It’s going to be impossible to compare the Tempest to the BP without seeing readings from both, with both in the same location. The first set of numbers you gave for the Tempest were missing a lot of frequencies compared to the ones for the BP.

It is a fairly flat to begin with, just that dang 40-50Hz dip that unfortunately
    is noticable when watching DVDs.
    Perhaps it’s changed since you moved it, but the readings you posted for the BP are anything but “flat.”

But they do explain the problem you’ve been having. You have a 20dB hole centered at about 46Hz, and it’s a full octave wide. That explains why DVD’s sound so anemic, and it also explains why you keep damaging the driver. It takes a lot of excursion to get the kind of numbers you’re generating below 30Hz. Turning up the sub to compensate for the 20dB hole at 46Hz hole obviously sent the driver into convulsions. It’s a wonder the BP doesn’t look like the driver in the picture I posted the other day.

You’ve already tried to EQ the hole, and it didn’t work. That seems strange. True, you can’t EQ a null, but I’ve never seen a null that was a full octave wide. Typically they’re only 1/6-octave or so. It’s hard to say why the EQing didn’t take without knowing the frequency centers, bandwidth etc., but once you equalize you should be very happy with this sub. Jeepers, I wish it were mine!

It would be best to find a location somewhere that will minimize the 46Hz hole. Once you do that, post some 1/6- or 1/12-octave numbers and we can try some filters.

As others have noted, you need to watch your SPL levels with those sine waves. Sine waves are similar to a constant-voltage signal, which is very hard on a voice coil. All you need is to be above ambient room noise. We know that 46Hz is your low point – As long as 46Hz reads at least 65dB or so, you should be fine for the other frequencies.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Comment

• Cam McFarland
      • Jul 2004

Thanks Wayne,

I have been building a sonotube for my truck & have not moved the
      HT unit around yet. It will be a sealed twin to the inside unit (less than 1 cu.ft. though) using one of these in the 12" size. Thought I would give it a try . :wink:

I am confused though (imagine that, lol) as to where to move it.
      Should I try like the opposite corner or something....or 8ft down the wall.

Maybe I'll put the sub where I sit & walk around the room.
      Any suggestions...?

Comment

• Cam McFarland
        • Jul 2004

And here are my Tempest numbers at the same location as the Tube.

This is from a thread about 4 months ago, but the numbers are right.
        I added a BFD later on & it helped some.

10 - 88
        15 - 84
        16 - 91
        17 - 93
        18 - 94
        19 - 95
        20 - 97
        25 - 102
        27 - 112

At this point i had to back down the volume by -5 for the next 4 tones as I felt the sub was gonna come apart & I didnt want to damage anything. I was hitting levels over 115dbs....

28 - 107
        30 - 112
        32 - 112
        35 - 107

Here I went back to original volume setting...

40 - 97
        46 - 96
        50 - 93
        56 - 93
        60 - 93

and this is where I stopped, I left out several of the tones
        I tested.

Comment

• Wayne A. Pflughaupt
          • Jun 2002

Maybe I'll put the sub where I sit & walk around the room. Any suggestions...?
          Well, since you know your “black hole” frequency is 46Hz, cue up that sine wave, and just try different places and see you can find one that gets you a big jump in the SPL level. Don’t run the signal continuously, though – just long enough to get a reading at each location.

Regards,
          Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Comment

• Cam McFarland
            • Jul 2004

Well, since you know your “black hole” frequency is 46Hz, cue up that sine wave, and just try different places
            Thanks Wayne, I had been considering that method......the tones I
            recorded last about 6 secs. each.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"