X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • taz13
    • Jun 2004

Need help on built in sub design

While I like the response of the current incarnation of my home theater/listening room for two channel music, I need a sub for movies. Is there anything stopping me from building a box in an adjacent room with the speaker and vent fitting between two studs but isolated from the wall. I am planning for the driver to be above either speaker in the pic, possibly two subs depending on what kind of amp I decide to go with. Any thoughts or suggestions?
    Attached Files
    The day is not complete if something new is not learnt.
    Taz/Rick/Richard/Ricardo
  • robertwb70
    • Oct 2003

Originally posted by taz13
    Any thoughts or suggestions?
    sounds like you need an IB sub

the cult

since you've already overcome the biggest hurdle( willingness to cut up you house) you owe it to yourself to at least consider one
    =+=+=+=+=+=+=
    "The appreciation of music is subjective.The reproduction of music isn't."-Bill Dudleston

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by taz13
      Is there anything stopping me from building a box in an adjacent room with the speaker and vent fitting between two studs but isolated from the wall?
      Nope, not a thing. In fact, IIRC, Andrew Pratt did something similar in his theater room. You might drop him a PM and see what he has to say 'bout this. It could have been someone else, but I believe it was Andrew. Having said that, Robert's comments about the IB are dead on. If you have the access from your theater to a large area such as the attic, basement or other un-used space look into it.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Yeap go with an IB. You'll find lots of examples in the Cult photo gallery pages

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• taz13
          • Jun 2004

There is something about the word INFINTE

IB it is. As I have an Adire tempest sitting doing nothing, my decision on which driver was easy, now how many drivers, wall mounted or manifold mounted. EQ or no EQ, plate amp or power amp, and I know there will be a glowing glass top between the LFE out and whichever amp I decide on.
          And as it is whether I use a manifold or wall mount where it will be, will just need a little modification but will work nicely.
          Now it is just the amp choice left.
          Attached Files
          Taz/Rick/Richard/Ricardo

Comment

• Ten 99
            • Apr 2004

Ouch. That has got to be a bright room, Taz. Anything in there to absorb those reflected soundwaves? No rug, etc... nada? That could really improve things in that room.

BTW, I hope the IB thing works out for you.

I've got it on a to-do list myself. I might actually tackle it as a sooner than later project, as it won't take too much time or fabrication to do.

I'm thinking about one of those Behringer EP2500 amps and a pair of the dB PL15D4 subs to start, with a manifold than can house four of them if I feel I need more. I'm probably going to skimp on the BFD at first, and then add it in later (before adding two extra subs for sure). It's starting to cool off in this Texas heat enough to where I can probably crawl up in the attic early this weekend (before it gets too warm) to take some initial measurements of the crawl space area and scout it any probs that could get in my way.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Taz if you're ever in the 'Peg drop me a line and you can see my quad tempest IB :T

Comment

• taz13
                • Jun 2004

Bright, I just wear sunglasses

Yeah, bright would be a kind word and the work needed to change that will be happening this winter. In other words probably starting this month.
                Andrew
                I will take you up on that in the future. Hydro lets me out of here sometimes.
                Taz/Rick/Richard/Ricardo

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Yeap you want EQ, the Behringer DSP1124P is the unit of choice.

Plate amp or free standing unit it's up to you. My personal choice is free standing amps there are more options and the resale value is better

Start with 2 drivers but mount them in a a manifold that big enough to hold 4. That way if the upgrade urge strikes all you need to do is add the additional drivers.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• taz13
                    • Jun 2004

My idea is to start with a manifold in the centre sized with two tempests and when the upgrade urges come along,and they always do. I will put in two more manifolds and have 3 across the front. I am going to use the design I found in the cults FAQ that Chris White used. EQ shouldn't be hard to find and all other materials are on hand or ordered, with the exception of an amp. Although to start with I do have a sub-100 plate amp I can use until I locate something more suitable. Time to start measuring.
                    Taz/Rick/Richard/Ricardo

Comment

• taz13
                      • Jun 2004

The Cult claims another convert

Now that my sub is in and working, all I can say is thank you for the suggestion to go infinte baffle. Once you have heard one it would be pretty hard to go back. Just running on a plate amp right now but Behringer DSP1142P and EP1500 power amp will be ordered in the next couple of days. :T
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by taz13; 23 September 2004, 15:40 Thursday.
                      Taz/Rick/Richard/Ricardo

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"