X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brandon B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2001

Dirt cheap DIY sub

A (non HT) friend mentioned he was going to go buy a cheap sub for $150 at some local store. I said I thought we could put one together for that which would kick its ass.

Given spending about $90 on a parts express plate amp, anything better in drivers than one of these to get down to 30Hz for under $50?

BB
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Let me look in my driver stash the basement. I probably have something better than that PE driver.

Nothing I have will be shielded, is that necessary?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Brandon B
      Super Senior Member
      • Jun 2001

Probably not.

Thanks for checking.

BB

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Brandon,

I have a NOS 12" Gold Sound 1240 DVC driver

$35+shipping

I shot some pics of it but my CompactFlash reader died, so I can't get them loaded into the PC

Driver has a dual 2 layer 2.5" VC's, black poly cone, very heavy gauge chrome plated stamped steel frame. Although brand new this is a older driver than the ones listed on the website. It has a foam surround and felt dust cap.

Should be used in a ported cab given the low Xmax

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Brandon B
          Super Senior Member
          • Jun 2001

Looks like a good deal to me. I'll talk to my friend today and get back to you.

BB

Comment

• Brandon B
            Super Senior Member
            • Jun 2001

Friend says yes please, thank you very much. Send you a check? Check can be from me since your are better acquainted with me than him.

He's gonna go with this for the amp. Unless he opts to spend $20 more for the 200 watt one.

Happen to know offhand what the optimal vented box volume and vent length/diameter are, or if they are on the mfr site? Found a reference to a 2 cubic foot cabinet for the current model, but nothing for the port.

Or remind me the name of the free/demo sub modelling program and I'll go find it.

BB

Comment

• Brandon B
              Super Senior Member
              • Jun 2001

Where'd you go, Thomas?

BB

Comment

• ThomasW
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

I'm around it's just been a very busy last couple of days.

Send me his address and I'll send out the driver

Unibox is our choice for freeware.

If you want a quick and dirty online calculator use these links

Their referencing the 18X18X16 box because that's preassembled box size they sell.

Bigger is better for the box size for low excursion drivers. Tune it around 25Hz, use a 4" diameter flared port (PE 268-352) if he can afford it. If the added cost is a big deal then use 4" dia PVC.

For the $20 difference I opt for the bigger PE amp. It's a good long term investment for a time when he can afford a better driver

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Brandon B
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jun 2001

Looks like we'll be doing about a 7.9 cu. ft box with a 4"x4" (approx.) port to get about a 25 Hz box. Won't get him to reference, but in his house plenty of thumping.

I'll post pics when we build.

Thanks for all your help Thomas, he's pretty jazzed.

BB

Comment

• ThomasW
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Wow, that's pretty big box!

Remind him that's a low Xmax woofer, not a Shiva :wink:

Line the inside of the box with some fiberglass insulation, or polyester batting.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Brandon B
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jun 2001

Was gonna line it.

The numbers were run with .6" as the Xmax. Should that have been cut in half? Assumed it was 1 way, not p2p.

BB

Comment

• ThomasW
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

An Adire Shiva is 1.29" P-P (16.6mm Xmax, one-way). The Gold Sound driver is about 1/2 that.

Not to worry, if he blows it up; I'll have a bunch of lightly used Shiva's available in a month or so. It will drop in the same cutout as the Gold Sound

As a reference you might want to checkout the ported Shiva applications papers

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Pat
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by ThomasW
                          I'll have a bunch of lightly used Shiva's available in a month or so.
                          :E Uh Oh...what do you have up your sleeve now Tom?? 8O
                          Pat's Page

Comment

• ThomasW
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

Hi Pat,

Last year Adire offered a preorder sale for their DPL12"s. I bought quite a few drivers with the intent of replacing the Shiva's in both my IB's. I meant to do this exchange quite a while ago, but got side tracked with other projects.

When time permits (probably mid to late fall) I'll put in the DLP12"s, then have a fire sale on used, but not abused Shiva's..... :wink:

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

What do you hope to gain with the DPL12's over the shiva in your IB install?

Comment

• Ten 99
                                • Apr 2004

storage space that they're taking up!

Comment

• ThomasW
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

Andrew,

They'll just play slightly lower with less EQ. Not a really big difference, the price on the DPL12"s was too good to pass up.

Originally I planned on using them for dipole projects like the Arvo Design. But we went with the TC-Sounds drivers there, so the fall back plan is to use them to populate the IB's

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Pat
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Aug 2000

Slightly lower with less EQ...umkay

IIRC wasn't big IB putting out a useable 4hz :E

LOL...who am I to question the ways of the the poohba

;x( ;x( ;x( ;x( ;x( ;x( ;x(
                                    Pat's Page

Comment

• ThomasW
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2000

Hey guys, what's happening with this project?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Brandon B
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Jun 2001

I am in Tokyo this week. Left Chris with a bottle of Gorilla glue and a bunch of rectangles of MDF and all my longer bar clamps.

In theory when I get home he'll have a box of sorts. And stained fingertips.

I'll post then.

BB

Comment

• David Meek
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Aug 2000

In theory when I get home he'll have a box of sorts. And stained fingertips.
                                          :rofl:

Hehe, another soul lost. . .

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Brandon B
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Jun 2001

Well, I am going to his hyouse to see this tonight. I will make sure I get a pic or two to post.

He also bought the Parts Express $140/pair monitor kits and is pleased as punch with them compared to his old Costco bargain speakers. Let you know what I think of those as well.

BB

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"