Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alaric
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

As I know nothing about actually playing a guitar, this is speculation based purely on visuals: Am I seeing some Eddie Van Halen influence in his fret work? Or was that always a thing and EVH just brought it to light in his particular venue?
    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
    Schiit Modi 3
    Marantz CD5005
    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

EVH had a Major influence on the use of hammering with the right hand- though some others like Eric Johnson were early users of the technique also, but not in such an obvious or flashy manner. Since EVH demonstrated many of the interesting things you can do with that technique that’s just aren’t possible with a conventional approach, it’s really become pretty widespread. Few guitarists have that kind of impact on the musical expression possible with the instrument.

There was a lot of evolution in various directions for guitar style in the 80’s, especially the early 80’s.

Speaking of EVH, how many folks know he was the guitarist (uncredited) on Michael Jackson’s “Beat It”?

Another early 80’s lead guitar part that was seminal for the time but rarely known for it’s player was Paul Huff (Giant) on “Danger Zone”, from the Top Gun sound track.

It’s funny how that song is one of Kenny’s Loggin’s two most popular hits, but he took the job after many others turned it down, sort of a snap judgement, I’ve read, and doesn’t feel it’s at all representative of his artistic position. Happy accidents, I suppose…
      the AudioWorx
      Natalie P
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Alaric
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

The Kenny Loggins story reminds me of Don Felder of the Eagles saying he hates the song Teenage Jail, on which his guitar is quite prominent. I think he called it "simplistic" at one time. Heck, the riff from Smoke On The Water is pretty "simplistic", but I'm pretty sure Ritchie Blackmore still cashes the checks.
        One of my favorite musicians was Roy Clark. He had an orchestra on stage with him and would go through it and play every instrument. He was an incredibly talented musician. The only EVH story I have is an Alice Cooper interview. Vince Furnier (Alice) is local to here and still lives in the area. During an interview about Glen Campbell, after his death, Alice Cooper said that Eddie Van Halen once asked him (AC) to introduce him to to Glen Campbell because he was interested in learning some guitar techniques from him. There's an interesting documentary on youtube about The Wrecking Crew, where Glen Campbell was a studio musician for years. The popular music of the 60s and early 70s was, in large part, all performed by a handful of studio professionals whom the marquee names counted on to make them sound good.

Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
        Marantz PM-KI Pearl
        Schiit Modi 3
        Marantz CD5005
        Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

Yeah, I’ve heard of the wrecking crew- pretty well known in some circles- cool video link!
          the AudioWorx
          Natalie P
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Obi-Wan
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• FrancoB
            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by JonMarsh

Another early 80’s lead guitar part that was seminal for the time but rarely known for it’s player was Paul Huff (Giant) on “Danger Zone”, from the Top Gun sound track.

It’s funny how that song is one of Kenny’s Loggin’s two most popular hits, but he took the job after many others turned it down, sort of a snap judgement, I’ve read, and doesn’t feel it’s at all representative of his artistic position. Happy accidents, I suppose…
            Actually, it was Dann Huff. Now a big time country producer based in Nashville.

Late eighties, early nineties, he recorded two fantastic albums with his band Giant: 'Last of the runaways' and 'Time to burn'. Check it out.

Comment

• JonMarsh
              Mad Max Moderator
              • Aug 2000

Thanks for correcting my aging memory!
              the AudioWorx
              Natalie P
              M8ta
              Modula Neo DCC
              Modula MT XE
              Modula Xtreme
              Isiris
              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
              Minerva Monitor
              Calliope
              Ardent D

In Development...
              Obi-Wan
              Modula PWB
              Calliope CC Supreme
              Natalie P Ultra
              Natalie P Supreme
              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• CADman_ks
                • Jan 2012

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                Thanks Scott, I'll have to run those down!

And meanwhile, for everyone after you've hunted your Easter eggs and eaten your Easter dinner (whatever that might be) here's something else by Marcin to watch which will give you a good idea of how he sets up to record- and he's wearing his nice Hoodie in this video...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31096[/ATTACH]
                This reminds me a lot of Tommy Emanuel...
                CADman_ks
                - Stentorian build...
                - Ochocinco build...
                - BT speaker / sub build...

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"