Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • andreib18
    • May 2020

Sb15nrx enclosures and crossover

Hello guys! I m planing to assamble some 5" 2 way speakers for listening in an apartment, I want to sound decent on any music you throw at them. I searched all sites for like 4 5 days and can t find a design to suit me and considering. I was looking at Mr. zaph zd5 enclosures , for me it looks perfect, It s here a documented project that use small enclosures and that kind of baffle with these drivers? Thanks!
  • Evil Twin
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

If you check the thread on finished designs, you'll see what has been discussed here in finished designs. There are not many that I recall with that small a woofer. There are some I have been thinking about with what are sometimes called 5-1/2" woofers, but they are all actually 6" frame diameters. smaller than this and the Sd and efficiency drops off too much.

This is a guide intended to help people locate and choose between DIY Speaker Designs completed here at HTGuide's Mission Possible DIY Forum or by friends. These are designs that you can have confidence in. These designs are fully documented and ready for building. These designs were based on in-box measurements and have been
    DFAL
    Dark Force Acoustic Labs

A wholly owned subsidiary of Palpatine Heavy Industries

Comment

• Bear
      Super Senior Member
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by andreib18
      Hello guys! I m planing to assamble some 5" 2 way speakers for listening in an apartment, I want to sound decent on any music you throw at them. I searched all sites for like 4 5 days and can t find a design to suit me and considering. I was looking at Mr. zaph zd5 enclosures , for me it looks perfect, It s here a documented project that use small enclosures and that kind of baffle with these drivers? Thanks!
      Madisound has a bunch of projects on their website. They can even cook up a quick XO using textbook filters. If you have some flexibility in your driver choice, here are a few other options, but using the ZA14 midwoofer. You will want to pick up a small subwoofer to go with any of these:

I did a perfectionist version of this pairing, but the part count is pretty high. I also have an MTM version that I'll be building as soon as I get done with my Helios build.

An easy subwoofer recommendation for an apartment dweller:
      Powered Dayton Audio Reference 8" 250 Watt Compact Subwoofer Kit with Built-In DSPWith just a 10" x 8" footprint, the Dayton Audio Reference 8" 250 Watt Compact Subwoofer Kit is the perfect solution for providing high performance bass response without taking up much space. With Dayton Audio's high excursion RSS210HO-4 8" subwoofer driver powered by the extremely versatile SPA250DSP 250W plate amplifier with DSP you can expect incredibly accurate response with low distortion. The user-friendly DSP controls allow this flexible subwoofer to match up seamlessly to smaller satellite speakers in everything from bedroom and office systems to smaller home theater setups. Thanks to the small size this subwoofer is ideal for using multiples strategically positioned around rooms to minimize room nodes (null and peaks) for more even bass distribution.Dayton Audio RSS210HO-4 8" Subwoofer Specifications: • Power handling: 300 watts RMS/600 watts max • Le: 0.99 mH • Impedance: 4 ohms • Re: 3.6 ohms • Frequency range: 30 to 1,500 Hz • Fs: 29.6 Hz • SPL: 85.7 dB 2.83V/1m • Vas 0.66 cu. ft. • Qms: 3.33 • Qes: 0.46 • Qts: 0.40 • Xmax: 11 mm. Dayton Audio SPA250DSP 250W Subwoofer Plate Amplifier Specifications: • Power output: 250 watts RMS into 4 ohms, THD+N

There are bigger and more expensive, but your neighbors might not appreciate your taste in music or movies.
      Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.

Comment

• Dave Bullet
        • Jul 2007

I presume you won't have a subwoofer and therefore want bass extension over efficiency therefore the 8 ohm driver version would be better.

The 8 ohm has an f3 of 43Hz in a 13.6L vented box
        The 4 ohm has an f3 of 53Hz in a 8L vented box

Of course the values above are not fixed (they just provide maximally flat vented alignments).

Jeff Bagby did the Piccolos - parts only:

full kit:

using the 8 ohm version.

Jeff's design targets a 10L enclosure - but I'm sure this can be adapted (e.g. depth and port length change as long as you keep baffle dimensions and driver position).

Comment

• knifeinthesink
          • Jan 2006

Piccolos look like a good option. There is also the Mandolin by the same designer and same driver series if you wanted a slightly larger driver.

Also these: http://www.audioexcite.com/?page_id=6373

If you're not stuck on the SB15 there are a lot of options.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Here's one more to think about; https://meniscusaudio.com/product/ke...s-speaker-kit/ I heard these several times at DIY events and was always impressed that a small 2-way sounded that good. It's detailed, smooth, accurate sounding and has excellent bass for a 5" woofer. The HiVi tweeter also works really well with the SB15CAC woofer.

It's just a really nice speaker and I don't hesitate to recommend it.

HTH

Jim

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"