Recommendation for new 2 channel project?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Solid7
    • Jul 2010

Recommendation for new 2 channel project?

I'm looking for something to add some sound to my family room. I want a couple of really high end speakers that look and sound great. I've built in translam before, and I have a method that makes really stiff, really heavy enclosures, and I'll probably use that method again. (I always like the Magico Minis)

Let's start the budget at around $1K for components and crossovers. (no need to worry about the enclosure in the budget, I've got that covered) I'll be pairing with subwoofer, but they still need to sound amazing, on their own. I'm not really a true audiophile, so I just want something that's too good for me, and the room that I put it in. This will NOT be part of a surround sound or home theater system.

Thanks in advance.
  • Solid7
    • Jul 2010

OK, what didn't I ask properly?

I've been out for a few years, so I don't know much about what the latest driver recommendations are. Scanspeak Revelators were en vogue last time I spent any time around here. Anyone still like those?

Comment

• Steve Manning
      • Dec 2006

Having been inspired by the Magico Mini's myself I built the Modula MTM's that Jon designed. They would certainly fit into your budget and they sound very nice. I don't know that your budget is going to get you into the really "high end" category, but you can get some great sound non the less.
      Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

Comment

• Solid7
        • Jul 2010

I don't know that I'd know the difference in really high end, anyway.

I built a pretty awesome center channel using TransLam way back in 2013.

DIY (Do it yourself): Cabinetry, speakers, subwoofers, crossovers, measurements. Jon and Thomas have probably designed and built as many speakers as any non-professionals. Who are we kidding? They are pros, they just don't do it for a living. This has got to be one of the most advanced places on the net to talk speaker building, period.

Building with this method is my comfort zone.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"