X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Solid7
    • Jul 2010

Dynamic 2 MK2 in Translam

Special thanks to Jed for all of the time that he has put into helping me make this project possible. This is his Dynamic II MK2 CC, in baltic birch laminate. I am also building the mains this way.

Still in its infancy, I have little more than a design and first run of parts cut.

Basically, this design uses 3 shapes to construct the whole enclosure. (keeps cost down, and the shapes are friendly) Where these differ from the Magico Mini, is in the bracing. I used 1.5" wall thickness, but instead of the "double Y" bracing, I used smooth arcs to brace and stiffen. Also, the Magicos have a through bolted design, where the front and rear baffle are torqued to pre-load the whole structure. This is complete overkill. I have opted to not use a rear baffle.

The whole stack, unassembled:

The 3 shapes that go into the design:

How I will assemble them:

To assemble the pieces, I use Carr Lane L-pins. They are 1/4" diameter, and 6" long. I don't try to assemble too many pieces at once. Also, the holes were specially toleranced to ensure that they go together perfectly. (and so far, they do)

More pics and background to follow, including my CAD screen shots...
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Those look good! In my opinion this is one of the easier and more accurate ways to do curved cabinets.

Comment

• Solid7
      • Jul 2010

Originally posted by Dougie085
      Those look good! In my opinion this is one of the easier and more accurate ways to do curved cabinets.
      But it is by far one of the most costly methods. I am a big fan of the BB laminate aesthetic, so that was my main design goal. (besides good sound, of course) There will be no veneer applied to these.

I got a unit price on the baltic birch plywood - about $35 for a 60" X 60" sheet. With all of the programming and run time, the pieces end up at about $10 per piece. The CC for material alone, costs about $500, not including shipping. (about $60 each) The mains will cost a bit more. Sounds like a lot, but this enclosure has a fairly large footprint. The sections are 18 mm thick, and the shape is a truncated ellipsoid. The semiminor axis measures 12 inches, and the major axis (minus the flat) is 17" The CC overall measures about 33 1/2" tall.

What you are NOT seeing, is the 1.25" thick machined aluminum baffle. I have opted not to fabricate those at this time, as I am still verifying the consistency of the plywood thickness. I may have to adjust key aspects of the design, based on the my final length and spacing of the chambers. Or, to put it another way, I'll build it after I measure the actual length of the cabinet.

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

Well I'm sure those baffles are a large portion of that 500 dollars.

Comment

• Solid7
          • Jul 2010

Well I'm sure those baffles are a large portion of that 500 dollars.
          No, that was just for the wood.

The baffles will EASILY be that much more, just because of the amount of material + machining involved. Overkill deluxe, for sure, but like I said, I did a spin on the design, because I wanted a certain aesthetic...

Comment

• Hdale85
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

Hmm well 500 for the machining of the wood parts is a bit much. I found a few places to do mine real cheap and they did a good job for the most part. The only issues I had was with the design it self which was my own fault.

I'm sure these are going to be some of the better looking Dynamic series though! :T

Comment

• Solid7
              • Jul 2010

Hmm well 500 for the machining of the wood parts is a bit much. I found a few places to do mine real cheap and they did a good job for the most part. The only issues I had was with the design it self which was my own fault.
              As stated before, my footprint of each cabinet is 12" X 17". So that means the best you can hope for out of a single sheet (60" X60") is 12 pieces. That makes 4 sheets of plywood for the CC. (@ $35/sheet when purchased as a unit - 20 sheets) Right there is $140 of the cost. So, we have about $360 in cost for material handling, setup, programming, machining, tear-down, clean-up, packaging. It is all being machined out of whole sheets, pulled down on a vacuum table. (better consistency,less set-up time) So that means we've got an expensive piece of machinery to pay for, but guaranteed good parts.

If you can find pieces that size routed with the same degree of accuracy that I am getting, for a better price, I need your shop's name and number right now... :B

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

Well I'm a member of a CNC forum and generally when I need something done I post up the design I'm working on and get several quotes. I think I spent ~200 for materials and cutting on my 4T's granted it wasn't as many pieces as what you're doing. I'm not sure if I could of done it cheaper but 500 per cabinet seems like a lot.

Comment

• Solid7
                  • Jul 2010

Well I'm a member of a CNC forum and generally when I need something done I post up the design I'm working on and get several quotes. I think I spent ~200 for materials and cutting on my 4T's granted it wasn't as many pieces as what you're doing. I'm not sure if I could of done it cheaper but 500 per cabinet seems like a lot.
                  Yes, it is. But the curved pieces really drive up the run time for the program.

I have a guy who does my work, and in past projects, nobody has ever come close to his price for the quality of work and pedigree of equipment that he has. And, seeing that he has done several projects for me, we now consider his work to be part of a "reliable process"

Just curious if I might be able to see the results of your project?

Comment

• Hdale85
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

They are on the clearwave forums in the build section. Was one of the first builds there (as they were like the second 4T's in existence). But should be like 2nd or 3rd from the bottom.

There was a build thread here as well but I think I put more info into it over there? Not entirely sure. They turned out decent until I used bamboo veneer..... That didn't turn out all that well. I'll be rebuilding them before long though.

I've actually been sourcing parts to build my own CNC machine. It's not exactly commercial quality but not far off and it can be accurate to with +/- .00001 mm I think it is. So plenty accurate enough for speaker building.

Comment

• Solid7
                      • Jul 2010

It's not exactly commercial quality but not far off and it can be accurate to with +/- .00001 mm I think it is.
                      Not a chance... .001mm = 1 micron. (0.00003937 inches) No CNC machine in existence is that accurate. (your numbers are 100 times that degree of accuracy)

Commercial variants sometimes boast accuracy of .0001", (inches) but accuracy is just a statistic, and as we know about all things statistical, it's a matter of interpretation, and sometimes half-truths. But that's another topic, altogether.

I will look for your build. I really like the 2T and 4T designs. Jed did very well with those designs. :T

EDIT: Found your build... That is a pretty nice result. Whatever problems you had with the bamboo veneer weren't readily obvious from the pic. Nice job.

Comment

• Hdale85
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2006

Yeah it's probably .001" then. It's a DIY machine so generally they don't bloat any specs regarding accuracy and what not. Mine will use gecko 203v drivers and what not. It'll be pretty nice for the type of stuff I'll use it for.

And pictures hide all the details

Comment

• Solid7
                          • Jul 2010

More pics of my design in CAD layout...

Comment

• Jed
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Apr 2005

Very nice CAD work there!

Comment

• snmhanson
                              • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Jed
                              Very nice CAD work there!
                              I agree! What CAD program are you using. I use AutoCad LT and am used to technical 2D line drawings with no frills. Being able to model the curves like that would really help in design work. I learned some basic 3D stuff on AutoCad at one time but it still didn't look that good.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jan 2006

Pretty neat how you worked out the midrange enclosure into it like that. Makes me want to do one of these....

Comment

• Solid7
                                  • Jul 2010

Originally posted by snmhanson
                                  What CAD program are you using. I use AutoCad LT and am used to technical 2D line drawings with no frills. Being able to model the curves like that would really help in design work. I learned some basic 3D stuff on AutoCad at one time but it still didn't look that good.
                                  I did all of this work in Catia V5. This is the tool of my trade, and I own 3 seats of it through my company. (I own a design and product development company)

Thanks for the compliments. This kind of work is pretty much what I do all day, every day, so when it comes to projects, it is like second nature to me to use the tools that I have and know. By far, the biggest benefit to this was the ability to analyze volumes in the odd shaped cabinets, with incredible accuracy. And then, of course, to have the parts built to the same models...

Comment

• Solid7
                                    • Jul 2010

Recessed end plug for the crossovers. Gets 'em away from the drivers, but doesn't add unwanted volume to the woof chamber...

Last edited by Solid7; 11 October 2010, 21:46 Monday.

Comment

• Face
                                      • Mar 2007

Nice job so far!
                                      SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• dar47
                                        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Solid7
                                        More pics of my design in CAD layout...

For the CC are you making a custom stand to hold the speak. Could you not flatten the bottom side to lay on a flat surface?

Comment

• Solid7
                                          • Jul 2010

Originally posted by dar47
                                          For the CC are you making a custom stand to hold the speak. Could you not flatten the bottom side to lay on a flat surface?

I could, but I have not arrived at a final height/angle. Even so, the answer to the question is, yes, I will be making a stand to go with it. I have a minimalist arrangement, so there is nothing for the CC to sit on to achieve listening level. (and at the default placement, it would be blocked by a coffee table)

Comment

• dar47
                                            • Nov 2008

Is the tweet and mids isolated from the woofs?

Comment

• Solid7
                                              • Jul 2010

Is the tweet and mids isolated from the woofs?
                                              Yes, they are. I will use the solid plates as dividers and end caps. (see the 3 shapes above) The crossover pic is a modified endcap.

More pics and updates are on the way. I moved into a new house a couple of months ago, and I have SO many projects going. Very little time for building. I do plan to get started very soon, however, as I will also be building the mains in this product line. (using the same methods)

This weekend, I will post another pic that clarifies the chamber separator.

Comment

• dar47
                                                • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Solid7
                                                Yes, they are. I will use the solid plates as dividers and end caps. (see the 3 shapes above) The crossover pic is a modified endcap.

More pics and updates are on the way. I moved into a new house a couple of months ago, and I have SO many projects going. Very little time for building. I do plan to get started very soon, however, as I will also be building the mains in this product line. (using the same methods)

This weekend, I will post another pic that clarifies the chamber separator.
                                                I know the feeling of new house projects, no rush your planned engineered approach will pay off when you get to assembly.

Comment

• Solid7
                                                  • Jul 2010

I know the feeling of new house projects, no rush your planned engineered approach will pay off when you get to assembly.
                                                  Thanks for your comments.

By the way - the project in your avatar pic is very nice. My wife really loves the look of those. In fact, we may end up building a set of waveguides with that look. I may use some butcher block or countertop material, and the Zaph waveguide plans.

I have got the woodworking bug lately...

Comment

• Solid7
                                                    • Jul 2010

It has been a long break, but I am back to work on this project, and here are the pics. With some actual hands on experience, I now believe that I have perfected the DIY translam process.

1. - The tools of the trade. Some clamps, L-pins, A small touch up (foam) paint roller and pan. And of course, some pieces.

2. - My very elaborate system of organizing pieces, so I remember the order of assembly.

3. - Applying glue to one of the layers. I only put glue on one side. It is more than adequate. This foam roller is PERFECT for applying full strength PVA glue. (Note: I do coat both sides of the braces, as it makes it easier when I have to seal the rest of the inside of the enclosure later on)

4. - Sticking one layer to another. To ensure perfect alignment, I have engineered a 4 hole system. The holes are toleranced to ensure that the pins fit tight, and provide positive location. It would be crazy to try to align something like this to a contour.

Continued in next post...

Comment

• Solid7
                                                      • Jul 2010

5. - With all 4 pins and a brace in. I only do 6 layers at a time, to ensure maximum straightness of the enclosure. These "sub-assemblies" will be joined later. I have also done this for other reasons. (discusses later)

6. - Clamping a stack.

7. - Some finished sub-assemblies of the MTM section, almost ready for final join.

8. - Crossover fitted in the end section.

Comment

• cjd
                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                        • Dec 2004

that's looking *really* nice
                                                        diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Wheels
                                                          • Oct 2008

Wow. really nice work. I can't wait to see these when your done. (as I'm sure you can't either)

Comment

• Solid7
                                                            • Jul 2010

Thanks for the compliments, guys. I really appreciate it.

Comment

• Solid7
                                                              • Jul 2010

Another extended layover.... But here is some more progress.

I found a creative way to install the port. To start, I cut off part of the mounting flange, and made it flat on 2 sides. This is a 2" Precision Port, and I modified it to be 4.25" across the flats. It still leaves the mounting holes in a good position, with plenty of "meat" to accommodate fasteners. Then, I put a pocket in the back of the curved cabinet. These aren't assembled yet, and installing the ports before joining the pieces made them easier to handle and machine. (not to mention easier to locate correctly)

Comment

• john trials
                                                                • Mar 2009

That is just totally cool looking!!!!!!! Beautiful.
                                                                Statements: "They usually kill the desire to build anything else."

Comment

• phn2
                                                                  • Mar 2011

Bump?

Originally posted by john trials
                                                                  That is just totally cool looking!!!!!!! Beautiful.
                                                                  any news in this old thread?

Comment

Working...
                                                                  😀
                                                                  😂
                                                                  🥰
                                                                  😘
                                                                  🤢
                                                                  😎
                                                                  😞
                                                                  😡
                                                                  👍
                                                                  👎
                                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                  Search Result for "|||"