Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jacket_fan
    • Oct 2006

Recommendations for MTM build and woodworking project

With winter upon us, I am looking for a speaker project. Can someone recommend a speaker design, preferably something like a MTM to start on.

Maybe something that I would like enough to replace the Maggie 3.6s I have had for so long.

I enjoy woodworking, but the cross overs will be a challenge.

I have looked a the Nat P and the Modulas in the Mission Accomplished thread. I am not ready to tackle the Wavecor Ardent, although it is a beautiful speaker.

Size is not a limiting factor, and a budget of $2k.

Also something well documented to make buying all the cross over and speaker parts less daunting.

My experience level is I have build 4 sealed subs and a pair of Zaph speakers.

Low extension is not a priority, so monitors would be fine.

Help me limit my choices.

Thanks,

Mark
    Mark
  • TEK
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Meniscusaudio habe quite a number of mtm kits.
    -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

• jacket_fan
      • Oct 2006

After reviewing many of the builds here, I decided to try the Statement Monitors.

Some questions before I start:

1. I would like to have curved sides for aesthetics. I like the look of something other than just a box. Would a slight change in internal volume affect performance? I thought I read that the baffle size was most important. Otherwise I could reduce the depth dimension a bit to compensate.

2. I am putting together an order with PE. I know I need some boards to place components. Do these work? Or is there something better?

Perforated PC Board 4-5/16" x 3-1/8" For #320-430Perforated phenolic prototype board. These boards are pre-drilled for standard component wires at 0.1" x 0.1" on-center with independant solderable copper traces on one side of each hole. Each board has larger (1/8") mounting holes on all four corners that correspond to the holes inside our series of project boxes.Specifications: • Dimensions 4.3" x 3.1" x 0.0625".

3. Is 22 gauge wire like this correct? (black and red) Or do I need need wire that is 99.999 percent pure gold, was mined on a blue moon, and rolled between thighs of vestal virgins? (That was for humor)

Consolidated 22 AWG Black Stranded Hook-Up Wire 100 ft. Consolidated stranded 22 AWG black hook-up wire for point-to-point wiring is perfect for internal, 300V, point-to-point wiring of electrical and electronic equipment, meters, computers, business machines, appliances and control panels.Specifications: • Length: 100 ft. spool • Conductor gauge: 22 AWG • Conductor: Stranded tinned copper • Strand count: 7 x 30 gauge • Insulation: Color-coded 0.016" PVC • UL style: 1007/1569 • CSA: TR-64 90° C • Passes UL VW-1.S vertical flame test • Operating temp: -40° ~ +105° C • OSHA acceptable.

4. Other than binding posts what other components are recommended?

5. The front baffle is shown as 1 ¼” thick. Can I use hardwood instead of MDF for the extra ½”? I want to try something like Meadowlark did with their baffles with a stringer of contrasting color.

Thanks,

Mark
      Mark

Comment

• Jim Holtz
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by jacket_fan
        After reviewing many of the builds here, I decided to try the Statement Monitors.

Some questions before I start:

1. I would like to have curved sides for aesthetics. I like the look of something other than just a box. Would a slight change in internal volume affect performance? I thought I read that the baffle size was most important. Otherwise I could reduce the depth dimension a bit to compensate.

2. I am putting together an order with PE. I know I need some boards to place components. Do these work? Or is there something better?

Perforated PC Board 4-5/16" x 3-1/8" For #320-430Perforated phenolic prototype board. These boards are pre-drilled for standard component wires at 0.1" x 0.1" on-center with independant solderable copper traces on one side of each hole. Each board has larger (1/8") mounting holes on all four corners that correspond to the holes inside our series of project boxes.Specifications: • Dimensions 4.3" x 3.1" x 0.0625".

3. Is 22 gauge wire like this correct? (black and red) Or do I need need wire that is 99.999 percent pure gold, was mined on a blue moon, and rolled between thighs of vestal virgins? (That was for humor)

Consolidated 22 AWG Black Stranded Hook-Up Wire 100 ft. Consolidated stranded 22 AWG black hook-up wire for point-to-point wiring is perfect for internal, 300V, point-to-point wiring of electrical and electronic equipment, meters, computers, business machines, appliances and control panels.Specifications: • Length: 100 ft. spool • Conductor gauge: 22 AWG • Conductor: Stranded tinned copper • Strand count: 7 x 30 gauge • Insulation: Color-coded 0.016" PVC • UL style: 1007/1569 • CSA: TR-64 90° C • Passes UL VW-1.S vertical flame test • Operating temp: -40° ~ +105° C • OSHA acceptable.

4. Other than binding posts what other components are recommended?

5. The front baffle is shown as 1 ¼” thick. Can I use hardwood instead of MDF for the extra ½”? I want to try something like Meadowlark did with their baffles with a stringer of contrasting color.

Thanks,

Mark
        Hi Mark,

Here's my input;

1. You can certainly do curved sides but the baffle width and cabinet depth shouldn't vary more than 10% from the original plan due to the open back mid tunnel length. Any change in internal cabinet volume will affect the bass capability and possibly require a port length adjustment

2. You can get everything from PE but you can also get it from Meniscus for the same price and its already bundled in a kit form. They'll assemble the crossovers (for a fee) if you prefer and they do a really nice job. Nope, we don't get a penny but it makes it super easy to order and get everything you need with one click and they're excellent to do business with.

3. Call me crazy but I build my crossovers and wire the internal speaker with Bluejeans Cable Belden 12 gauge which is gross over kill. 14 or even 16 gauge will work fine but I would not go smaller than that. Wiring also is part of the kit.

4. Ports, screws, gasket material, foam to line the mid tunnel and 2" wedge for the woofer compartment. The list goes on....

5. Yes hardwood can be used for the outer baffle but someone with more knowledge in woodworking than I should answer due to hardwood cracking with moisture changes.

Now that I've made it through the list, I'm going to toss out some ideas. The Finalists will soon have a Morel replacement tweeter for the now NLA RS28 and cost close to the same money. If you can use a floorstander, the Anthology's are in the same cost neighborhood and and simply do everything extremely well, plus give you much, much greater bass with an extremely nice midrange and top end. They are one of the designs Curt and I've done that hasn't gotten much publicity but everyone that has built them has been extremely pleased with the sound quality as far as I know. There are several reviews here you can find with a search.

What ever you decide to build, you've got to know, we love pictures so we can follow along.

Good luck with the project!

Jim
        Last edited by Jim Holtz; 16 January 2018, 02:39 Tuesday.

Comment

• jacket_fan
          • Oct 2006

Jim,

Thanks for the input.

To follow up on your "ideas". Which of the three: Statement, Finalists, or Anthologies (or any other of your speakers) has the best depth to the soundstage? Not the width or height, as in x or y, but the depth or z direction. My room is not quite square at 20 x 22, which is not ideal, so would like to try something to increase the depth of the soundstage.
          Mark

Comment

• Jim Holtz
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by jacket_fan
            Jim,

Thanks for the input.

To follow up on your "ideas". Which of the three: Statement, Finalists, or Anthologies (or any other of your speakers) has the best depth to the soundstage? Not the width or height, as in x or y, but the depth or z direction. My room is not quite square at 20 x 22, which is not ideal, so would like to try something to increase the depth of the soundstage.
            My roots are in the audiophile world so accurate soundstages are important to my listening enjoyment. Everything from the original Statements to the Bordeaux that Curt and I have designed have open back mids which is where the depth of the soundstage is "revealed". I use revealed because the recording must have height, width and depth baked in to the recording for it to be accurately reproduced. The crossover design process Curt goes through is to not only integrate the driver response, polar response etc. but to voice the speakers to accurately reproduce the original performance which includes the expansive soundstage we're used to hearing at live performances, within the limitations of the room, drivers etc. of course.

I have Anthology's in my 2nd system and Bordeaux in my main system. I think the Anthology's are the best "bang for the buck" speakers we've designed. They have BIG dynamics, clean solid bass, slightly warm natural sounding mids paper cones are noted for and open airy highs. All the drivers used are very low distortion and used in the appropriate bandwidth so they perform the best possible. For audiophile sound quality, the Bordeaux are at the top of the list. Anthology's are more forgiving on poorer recordings so it also depends on your listening tastes.

Most of the designs are on Curt's website and have CAD drawings, BOM's and build tips. The Bordeaux aren't there yet and some of the older designs may not be documented quite as much as the newer ones but have the added benefit of many builds posted with builder reviews here at HT Guide and some on the PE forum.

HTH

Jim

Comment

• jacket_fan
              • Oct 2006

I have had Maggie 3.6s for about 10 years and you can't get much more open backed mids than that. (humor intended) I have them spaced about 4 feet from the wall. I get excellent x and y soundstage, I just feel that the z could be better. For x and y, and old recording by a southern rock group, Little Feat and their Warner Brothers recording of "Feats Don't Fail Me now" is my reference. A couple of tracks, Skin It Back and Spanish Moon are impressive for a wide soundstage. I don't seem to get the depth unless listening to high res multichannel.

Maybe that is why the Statements with their ribbon tweeter caught my interest. And being a monitor I could more easily move them upstairs to the family room from the theater. I listen to music with a sub, so extension is not my highest priority.

Now you have me wondering about my decision.

Cost is not my biggest driver either. If I am going to invest time, i would like to get something new and different to enjoy. Also the satisfaction of another DIY endeavor.

I think you are saying the Bordeaux my be better suited for what I am doing.
              Mark

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"