Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wirenut
    • Apr 2017

DIY High End In-Wall Speakers

I could type a long message about this topic.. instead I will try to keep it to the point. After hours of researching this topic I was surprised to learn that it is pretty much non existent. Being "me" that REALLY" got me interested in accomplishing the goal of taking on the project of the research, trial and error of building an awesome in wall for mostly HT, but great sounding for audiophile quality music as well...
    I understand that there is no replacement for displacement theory but times are changing and the days of bigger is better has as well. I built a set of (kind of my version) Statements. NOW IM HOOKED! The statements are awesome of course, but me loving a challenge and wanting something that could work in the walls and not take up so much space has taken me in another direction.
    There is no better satisfaction than building something, learning from mistakes and finally enjoying the labor of all the work you put into it.

So, (Keep in mind I don't have all the theory down. Not even close)
    My thoughts came from seeing smaller boxes and smaller speakers with pretty awesome sound lately in the market. Especially from DIY forums, and youtube vids. I got to thinking.. its POSSIBLE! But I can't find any forums, info or reviews on In Wall.

There are a couple of high end speaker companies that make ultra thin "Wall mounted" speakers that get great reviews as well. But I don't want to spend that much and wouldn't appreciate them as much if I didn't build them myself!

After doing hours of research I came up with.. After adding and removing speaker combinations from Parts Express about 50 times!.. This build that I will be trying and learning from on my quest for a good space saver in wall audiophile quality speaker set up.

Parts Ordered for the Build:

2-Dayton Audio XO2W-3K 2-Way Speaker Crossover 3,000 Hz
    Part # 260-144

4-Dayton Audio SD175-PR 6-1/2" Passive Radiator
    Part # 295-498

4-Dayton Audio DS175-8 6-1/2" Designer Series Woofer Speaker
    Part # 295-428

2-Dayton Audio DC28F-8 1-1/8" Silk Dome Tweeter
    Part # 275-070

Order Total-$278.65

Stay tuned...
  • Alaric
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

2-Dayton Audio XO2W-3K 2-Way Speaker Crossover 3,000 Hz
    Part # 260-144
    This should be...interesting.
    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
    Schiit Modi 3
    Marantz CD5005
    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• fbov
      • Jun 2008

Originally posted by wirenut
      ... I was surprised to learn that it (DIY high end in-wall speakers) is pretty much non existent. ...
      Look harder.

Many designers include an "on-wall/in-wall" crossover option in their speaker designs, and all the good ones address it. I use a combination of in-wall and free-standing crossover designs in my HT, so the native CC response matches its L/R mates as installed. Designs can and should be adjusted to fit the specific application. Otherwise, why DIY?

That said, Alaric wasn't being playful. We all know you're new because you listed an off-the-shelf crossover. Here's the thing.
      "High End" is achieved by using quality drivers mated to a custom crossover that mates the drivers electrical and acoustic responses seamlessly

The magic is in crossover design, based on measured driver frequency response, electrical impedance, and either modeled or measured driver baffle placement. Every component has a job and its values are optimized for that purpose. The result is flat frequency response on-axis, with predictable off-axis and room power responses. Combine such a crossover with quality, low-distortion drivers, used in their optimum response range, and you'll get a high-end speaker.

I hope you haven't spent money, the normal good advice is to start with a proven design, and there are a ton of them, many with in-wall options.
      This is a guide intended to help people locate and choose between DIY Speaker Designs completed here at HTGuide's Mission Possible DIY Forum or by friends. These are designs that you can have confidence in. These designs are fully documented and ready for building. These designs were based on in-box measurements and have been

Want a second or third opinion about your speaker cabinet design or other audio related problem? Post your question or comment on the Technical Discussion Board. Hundreds of technicians, engineers, and hobbyists, nationwide read and discuss electronics related questions each week. We welcome your participation

Have fun,
      Frank

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"