X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Caisa
    • Sep 2006

Transducer Lab tweeters / waveguide

Hey guys,

although the TL tweeters are barely used here in Europe, they seem to be very good considering the rewievs from the US diy Hifi boards....

Does anybody of you did comparisons between the different versions made of ceramic, magnesium, composit or beryllium? Any listening impressions or recommendations?

I considered the ceramic N26CR2-G but can not really explain why, just intuitive. What is the main difference between that driver and the older square N26C?

Is there a waveguide existing that will match well with these tweeters? Pellegrene had something, but his website ist down...

Maybe the bigger Jantzen waveguide will fit? I am not sure about the whole diameter of the N26 incl. the surrounding of the dome, sure the voice coil is 26mm ;-)

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks and kind regards,
    Stephan
  • augerpro
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2006

There was no difference between square and round, but there is difference between the original generation tweeters and now. From Cristian at T Labs: "The new "S" model has a smaller face plate, new magnet, new voice coil, new surround, new chamber, new lead wires and terminal posts and also different soft parts inside the chamber. Only part that is the identical to the older N26C-A version is the dome. I hope this helps."

Response is basically identical, and I would hope he didn't do anything to degrade the great non-linear distortion performance.

I have this 5" waveguide off at the printer, no idea on the performance, but you'r welcome to try it if you have access to a 3D printer. If so, I can remove the circular mounting flanges for an actual speaker, or you can just stay with the circular for easier mounting to test baffle for measurements.

Click image for larger version

Name:	LjLa8r9.png
Views:	186
Size:	337.3 KB
ID:	935817

Name:	YyMRm58.png
Views:	172
Size:	342.4 KB
ID:	935818
    Last edited by theSven; 03 May 2023, 17:20 Wednesday. Reason: Update image location
    ~Brandon 8O
    Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
    Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
    DriverVault
    Soma Sonus

Comment

• Caisa
      • Sep 2006

Hi Brandon, that waveguide looks interesting, PM sent....

What throat diameter is best for the N26CR2-G?

Thanks,
      Stephan

Comment

• augerpro
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2006

Email sent. I don't know what the "best" throat diameter is, usually smaller is better, but I just used the same 35mm that TLabs uses for their faceplate.
        ~Brandon 8O
        Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
        Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
        DriverVault
        Soma Sonus

Comment

• Caisa
          • Sep 2006

Makes sense.... Did you by chance tested the Jantzen waveguide for the TL tweeter?
          Reply to your mail sent ;-)

Cheers,
          Stephan

Comment

• Caisa
            • Sep 2006

Hey guys,

Brandon was so kind to share his waveguide shape and I will try to CNC mill a Prototype to measure and modify( If necessary) the shape of the guide. Yesterday I also talked to Christian of Transducer Lab and he told me, that the N26CR2-G is very natural sounding but the MgO version hast even lower distortion and more air and bite in the upper range as well as higher SPL due to the lighter cone. However, reading between the lines it seems that his favourite ist the N26CR2-G.

Did maybe someone do a comparison of the sintered Aluminium and the Magnesium dome and would like to share the impressions? Any measureable differences in the frequency response on/off axis?

Kind regards,
            Stephan

Comment

• JonMarsh
              Mad Max Moderator
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by augerpro
              Email sent. I don't know what the "best" throat diameter is, usually smaller is better, but I just used the same 35mm that TLabs uses for their faceplate.
              That might be a little on the large side, IMO, after one experiment with the original ceramic ones.

Steve and I are going to do some detailed studies, but it's for our own design/construction waveguide, and what with the things that have been going on for me at work and at home, the time table is uncertain. Our initial effort with the RS28A were quite to our satisfaction, but then they go and discontinued that driver...

Name:	27017593309_c18e89acbc_o.png
Views:	192
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	935819

I have on hand the N28BER and the N26CR2 for testing. I've published basic SPL and distortion plots of the N26CR2 here before.

Name:	N26Disto_Old_zpsdd67ed8a.png
Views:	192
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	935820
              Last edited by theSven; 03 May 2023, 19:23 Wednesday. Reason: Update image location
              the AudioWorx
              Natalie P
              M8ta
              Modula Neo DCC
              Modula MT XE
              Modula Xtreme
              Isiris
              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
              Minerva Monitor
              Calliope
              Ardent D

In Development...
              Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
              Obi-Wan
              Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
              Modula PWB
              Calliope CC Supreme
              Natalie P Ultra
              Natalie P Supreme
              Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
              Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• 5th element
                Supreme Being Moderator
                • Sep 2009

Originally posted by augerpro
                "The new "S" model has a smaller face plate, new magnet, new voice coil, new surround, new chamber, new lead wires and terminal posts and also different soft parts inside the chamber.
                Are these listed on the TL website? I can see that they might possibly be, but the faceplates all look like the same ridiculous size that they've always been.
                What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
                5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
                Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                  Mad Max Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

You know, those ridiculous sizes and the accompanying weight are mighty satisfying to hold in your hand and look at....

Meniscus doesn't seem to be carrying the new ones, but Solen has some of the CS parts, but they're rectangular face plates. They seem to have smaller magnet assemblies, but face plates the same size, checking that on the TL web site.
                  the AudioWorx
                  Natalie P
                  M8ta
                  Modula Neo DCC
                  Modula MT XE
                  Modula Xtreme
                  Isiris
                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                  Minerva Monitor
                  Calliope
                  Ardent D

In Development...
                  Obi-Wan
                  Modula PWB
                  Calliope CC Supreme
                  Natalie P Ultra
                  Natalie P Supreme
                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Caisa
                    • Sep 2006

Dear Jon,

will you publish your experience with the N26C in a waveguide? If I remember it correctly you said at some point that you will also try the TL in the Jantzen waveguide...?

The waveguide designed by Brandon, seems to me very promising, why do you think 35mm throat diameter is too wide? As the faceplate ist not removeable it might be difficult to go smaller than the faceplate cutout of 35mm...
                    Last edited by Caisa; 04 December 2017, 10:57 Monday.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                      Mad Max Moderator
                      • Aug 2000

I’m not very mobile at the moment due to hip joint replacement surgery a week ago, but i’ll Follow when when better able to physically with measuring mechanically the particulars.

I tried the TL ceramic tweeters with the Jantzen waveguide several years ago in the Arvo Part Picante project; the tweeter plus waveguide performance was not up to expectations, and I think this is due to the immediate/initial throat behavior; just contrast that result in the relevant thread with what is posted above for the RS28a with our own design.
                      the AudioWorx
                      Natalie P
                      M8ta
                      Modula Neo DCC
                      Modula MT XE
                      Modula Xtreme
                      Isiris
                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                      Minerva Monitor
                      Calliope
                      Ardent D

In Development...
                      Obi-Wan
                      Modula PWB
                      Calliope CC Supreme
                      Natalie P Ultra
                      Natalie P Supreme
                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• cochinada
                        • May 2014

Originally posted by Caisa
                        Hey guys,

although the TL tweeters are barely used here in Europe, they seem to be very good considering the rewievs from the US diy Hifi boards....

Does anybody of you did comparisons between the different versions made of ceramic, magnesium, composit or beryllium? Any listening impressions or recommendations?

I considered the ceramic N26CR2-G but can not really explain why, just intuitive. What is the main difference between that driver and the older square N26C?

Is there a waveguide existing that will match well with these tweeters? Pellegrene had something, but his website ist down...

Maybe the bigger Jantzen waveguide will fit? I am not sure about the whole diameter of the N26 incl. the surrounding of the dome, sure the voice coil is 26mm ;-)

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks and kind regards,
                        Stephan
                        Howdy Stephan,

I'm using the N26MGR-G myself but I didn't compare it with other tweeters except on 'paper' and reviews a bit all over. For me the big difference between the round and the square is that this one is plain ugly.
                        Indeed it's not easy to find them here in Europe. I was lucky as I bought mine here but I needed to replace them later and was only able to get them from Meniscus.

I've chosen the magnesium version because It looked like it has a bit more response around 2KHz than the ceramic, or in other words seems flatter. Also it copes with a bit more power and has a higher sensitivity. The berilium on the other hand beats both on these two parameters but it has a narrower response bandwidth requiring perhaps a higher crossover point with the medium and in my design I wanted to go as low as possible.

The total diameter is 120mm whereas the diameter of the plate around the dome is 35mm.
                        Joaquim

DIY 4 way speakers.
                        DIY subwoofers.
                        Zaph ZD3C.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"