X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scary
    • Jul 2016

Cabinet Tuning

What is the procedure for calculating port dimensions to tune a cabinet for a certain frequency? I am building a pair of Cinema 893 towers that were designed for a sealed enclosure. I understand that a 70 liter box tuned to 35Hz works very well, so that got me interested in the process. Is there is a simple formula, or do I need cabinet design software?

Thanks
    Scary
  • DigitalMaven
    • Feb 2017

Originally posted by scary
    What is the procedure for calculating port dimensions to tune a cabinet for a certain frequency? I am building a pair of Cinema 893 towers that were designed for a sealed enclosure. I understand that a 70 liter box tuned to 35Hz works very well, so that got me interested in the process. Is there is a simple formula, or do I need cabinet design software?

Thanks
    Scary
    There are online port calculators...here's one of them

Comment

• ---k---
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2005

Here is the page for Unibox software. You use it with Excel. Works very well and straight forward to me.

Jeff Bagby also has an excellent program that runs inside excel to model woofers. It will also do boundry loading and such:

Finally, a LOT of people like to use WinISD. I don't get WinISD. You have to enter the driver parameters in a specific order and have accurate/correct driver parameters or it just doesn't work. Other things too. I like the other two programs better. But, a lot of people use WinISD. If you don't have Excel with the math solver add on, this might be the way to go.

Give those a try. If you post screen shots of your input and such, we can help walk you through it.
      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Audion
        • Mar 2017

Yes, I think that WinISD is very popular because the results that you get aren't overly complex and are rather easy to understand.
        It doesn't require you to put in as many parameters as some other programs, so some people like that convenience.
        However, the other commenter is right in that you have to get all of the parameters input properly, or you have to start over.
        Also, you only get four graphs of results, and those don't tell you some of what you need to know.

One of the more important things that you'll need to know when designing an enclosure is cone excursion (how far the cone can move without distortion or even bottoming out).
        Many small woofers and midbasses will play low frequencies according to the gain/SPL graph.
        But, you may find that the speaker cannot play very loudly at all because you'll run out of cone excursion even at low SPL levels in some cases (because of the demands placed on it to play at very low frequencies).
        So, it's nice to have a program that lets you input a power level, check the SPL level and also verify what the cone excursion is at those levels.

When using these programs, be sure to use the correct units when entering data, too.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"