X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BobEllis
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

I think you'll like it. PM me if you have questions along the way.

Comment

• Heli-Tim
      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by BobEllis
      Thanks! I'm just travelling home for my time off(3 weeks). I'm sure I will have questions regarding different combinations of components, lol. Hoping to order all the parts for the HB and Statements while I'm home this time. Some parts for the Statements are back-ordered in Canada currently, not sure about the amp parts yet!

Comment

• Heli-Tim
        • Nov 2015

Just a small "update" for my Speaker/System build:

I ordered a new Weller WES-51 soldering station(should be here next week).
        I really would have liked to get the Hakko FX-951, it has been my "go-to solder station" for a very long time in the field. Do to budget limitations for tooling at my current employer, they opted for the Weller WES-51D model(where I was exposed to it). Since the tips are 4 x cheaper to buy, and the station is 1/3 of the cost of the Hakko, it was a no brainier for me! (To anyone interested; thermal stability was very close on both units in practice! The only "tangible" difference was; I found the Hakko to be slightly more comfortable for long use, and the initial heat-up/ cool down was significantly faster[20 seconds vs 45 sec). At $150 CAD plus shipping for the analog version, this is a great value and is equal to the more expensive digital version in every way.

I also just finished playing with my new(to me) oscilloscope(family hand-me-down gift), I am happy to report that it looks like new, and appears to operate like new too

I was planning on building the Statement II speaker boxes this time off, but due to weather(read: blizzards!) and limit access to my garage(250 ft back from my house) it my have to wait a couple of months.
        In the meantime, I will start my Class AB amp build in the basement to keep me motivated!

Comment

• Heli-Tim
          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by BobEllis
          PM sent

Comment

• Heli-Tim
            • Nov 2015

Rather than start a new thread, I've dug up this old one!

I've attached the main level plans of my new home(a work in progress). There are two possibilities for my "listening space". They are labeled accordingly. Option 2 was the space I intended to use, but due to marital reasons (the wife said so), some last minute changes were made to the layout of that room, and I believe it is no longer suitable. Option 1 is the only other possibility.

The proposed speaker placement is shown in green. At this point they are assumed to be Statement II's, depending on a number of factors, they may turn into the Bordeaux series!

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Heli-Tim; 22 November 2017, 18:51 Wednesday.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

Hi Tim,

Option one would be my pick. The Statements II or Bordeaux will both work fine if you can give them enough breathing room. The Bordeaux are a bit more forgiving of less space than the Statements.

Jim

Comment

• Heli-Tim
                • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
                Hi Tim,

Option one would be my pick. The Statements II or Bordeaux will both work fine if you can give them enough breathing room. The Bordeaux are a bit more forgiving of less space than the Statements.

Jim
                Thanks for the response Jim. I was concerned with the 10 foot width, which is why I originally picked option 2. That was before the couch, etc though. I was originally going to use the main walls (between that room and the kitchen) for the TV/ stereo because it is 16 ft long.

There is actually a nice 16x14 room upstairs that I could use as well. But that will be kid #2's bedroom if we end up choosing to have another little monster down the road

Comment

• TEK
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Oct 2002

Exiting stuff Tim!

I have had a setup that was somewhat like your option #2. I must say that I never liked it because I got a "tilted" feeling. You will get wall reflection from the right speaker, while there is nothing on your left speaker. In my experience this is quite easy to hear and - as there is no wall - almost impossible to correct. With your current setup your listening position will be very close to the back wall. That might be a drawback as second reflections will interfere with the direct sound waves.

Option #1 looks better. If you could have moved the speakers to the other side of the room you would have no reflections from behind the speakers - something that might give you a very clean sound image. Many people think that a ideal listening room is totally "dead" in the half that the speakers is located and "live" in the other half of the room. They think this gives a very clean sound image from the speakers and at the same time does not make the room in total feel to dead.
                  I guess that will be hard for you to do. But as your room is quite narrow you might want to evaluate if you can add some sound absorbents - at least to the area right in front of the speakers (you can use the mirror method to figure out where you should add the absorbents). For option #1 I think you must be prepared to add a sub or two. It seems to be quite a large area and it will suck up those bass-waves.

For option #2 I would have considered if it was possible to move the tv and speakers to the wall to the right of the current selected wall. That would keep the balance.

It will be interesting to see the end result :-)
                  -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

• DML9
                    • Apr 2017

Tim:
                    I am replying as a newbie parroting information that I have received from those with knowledge of the subject.

Open back speakers require a wall behind to reflect the sound from the back of the speaker forward so it’ll blend with the front wave. They require 18”-24” from the back of the speaker to the wall behind with no large objects positioned between them that blocks the mids. Open doorways don’t work well. They need the side wall at least from the front wall to the froward edge of the speaker to help develop the sound wave. I have also read that they need to be a certain distance apart. More knowledgeable members can give you the minimum.

I think Jim wasn't recommending Option Two because there isn't a side wall. Option One may not be wide enough when the speakers are offset from the side walls. Jim recommended a step up to the Bordeaux so you may wish to give them a look. He is the expert (and kindly very giving of his knowledge). A step down, but I understand more forgiving of location are the Finalists. But these are on hold because one of the drivers is not available.

Keep up the dialogue. My build is on hold for a little while so I will live vicariously through your build.
                    Mike
                    Last edited by DML9; 25 November 2017, 23:08 Saturday.

Comment

• Heli-Tim
                      • Nov 2015

TEK,

Your suggestion at the end for option #2 was my original intent for the room . Now it is a "family room" instead! as far as the room being "dead", How's this? LOL

As you can see on the far left, the sugar-maple is 7 rows into this room now . I did all the electrical myself as well, so I wired in some mood lighting (dimmable pot lighting on a slider switch). Also , I have made provisions for a fireplace between the speakers all the way down at the end.
                      I think its safe to say, that I won't get prior approval from the boss, to put the speakers in the other end of the room, lol .

I'll be glad to have a system up and running at all. I've been using headphones, or my wife's computer for the past 2 years! Finishing the house, and raising a child takes priority. It's all good though!

I'll definitely consider a sub(or two), but I want to try the speakers as they are for a while first. I like bass, but I'm usually turing it down on most stereos.

Comment

• Heli-Tim
                        • Nov 2015

DML9,

Thanks for the response! Don't hold your breath waiting for my build. I'm swamped with my house renovations

I believe the "correct minimum distance" for the Statements separation is 8 ft. My wall is 10 ft. If I went with 16" side wall spacing, I would get ~ 7.25 speaker spacing . A bit small, but I suspect acceptable? This is outside of my expertise though Perhaps Jim could confirm/ and or destroy my dreams 😢 . J/k of course.
                        Last edited by Heli-Tim; 25 November 2017, 22:20 Saturday.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Mar 2005

Hi Tim,

Yes, 7' will work. Figure 7' - 15' with somewhere in the middle being ideal. Bordeaux or Statements II's will be fine with the placement edge going to the Bordeaux.

HTH

Jim

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"