• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TEK
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

On wall speakers

Hi

The lady of the house is complaining about the sound from the tv-set.
    I'm thinking about building a couple of on-wall speakers and mount it on the wall on each side of the tv. Primary goal is clear voices. For critial music listening or movies I will use the theater room.

I think that each speaker can be 50-70 cm high, 10-20 cm wide and 10-20 cm deep (that's 20-27 inches high, 4-8 inches wide and 4-8 inches wide).
    I'm not looking for a high-end solution - just something that will give a decent sound. I'm thinking that I might put in $400 to $1000 in electronics parts for this project, preferable on the low side...

Does anyone of you know of a existing design that might fit nicely for this?
    Last edited by TEK; 04 April 2015, 11:43 Saturday.
    -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...
  • TEK
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Hmm, seems that I'm going to buy a pair instead, snd use the time on the other DIY projects already started...
    -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

• cjd
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Dec 2004

The in-khan may be on the outside end of that size, but could work out pretty well. On-wall isn't ideal, you still get odd bounce nulls off the wall that are tough to work with.

Some really small stuff Zaph has done could work. I know there are a few others out there but never remember what all they are.

That said, if you're buying... well, have fun on the other projects!
      diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• TEK
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

The one I was planning on is not beeing sold anymore (was on clear-out-sale), so it might be a build project anyway.

In-kahn, guess it's these: 'http://www.divine-audio.com/in-khan-neatos/' might be an option then. The original design uses a shielded woofer that is no longer available.
        I have a LCD-TV, shielded woofers is only needed if you have old CRT tv-sets, right?

If so I guess that the following items should be the correct drivers for a pair of in-kahns (all parts from parts-express)?

Description, partnumber, quantity, item price, total price
        Dayton Audio RS28A-4 1-1/8" Aluminum Dome Tweeter, 275-130, 2, $54.75, $109.50
        Dayton Audio RS180-4 7" Reference Woofer 4 Ohm, 295-374, 2, $49.60, $99.20
        Dayton Audio RS150-8 6" Reference Woofer, 295-354 , 2, $39.45, $78.90

I'm also planning on reducing the front baffle height a little, and instead add angels to top and bottom to ensure that the volume is quite unchanged.
        Also looking a bit to freshen up the look a bit. Maybe by just adding a front cover with a little special style - as shown below.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	in-kanh.png
Views:	1
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	859678
        Are these changes OK to do without affecting the sound characteristics to much?
        -TEK

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"