X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Landspeeder
    • Feb 2008

Zaph B3S + Micro Subwoofer Stands + Active Crossover

Active Crossover: miniDSP 2x4
    - USB self powered device and wide range of DC power options (4.5 to 24VDC)
    - Volume control by potentiometer on 3pin header - This will be the ONLY volume control on the unit
    - Programmed at 200 Hz cutoff between stereo Zaph and stereo subwoofers.

HOW TO POWER THIS?
    -Either via a Cell phone USB charger --- or somehow straight off of the amp PSU?
    -Parallel the power to this AND the amp from the PSU?
    -Some help if possible please!

Amp: 4x100W at 4 Ohm TK2050 Class-T Digital Audio Amplifier Board. Part # 320-335

Amp PSU: 24 VDC 14.6A 350W Regulated Switching Power Supply. Part # 320-316

Subwoofer Idea
    - Same profile dimensions as Zaph B3S (5" wide, 8" deep max)
    - Height 17" - 22" tall (desktop requirement for ear level Zaphs).
    -Tang Band W4-2089 4.5" RBM Mini Flat Panel Subwoofer 4 Ohm (down to 35 hz in a 0.03 ft.³ sealed box)
    I AM OPEN TO OTHER SUGGESTIONS on the woofers This sucker is expensive at $70/speaker

Zaph B3S
    -Done (Upgraded Crossover pictures below)

Click image for larger version

Name:	0922140719_zps77866f76.webp
Views:	86
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	942936
    Last edited by theSven; 25 June 2023, 20:41 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
    My Builds: https://www.htguide.com/forum/showth...731#post593731
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Wow, beautiful B3S's. They look like pricey cabinets though.

Comment

• Landspeeder
      • Feb 2008

Thanks Hdale.

A 4x8 Sheet of 1/2" Carbonized Vertical 3-PLY Bamboo Plywood from CaliBamboo was $165 for a single (plus a little for shipping across the country). The cost goes down with additional sheets at once.

The only downer to this material is that it is HARD. It wears out blades, router bits, sandpaper, etc FAST. Also, the occasional splinters are LONG and SHARP.

I should be able to build a few projects out of this amount... and no need for veneer (which can be just as expensive), or painting.

The finish is 50/50 Tung/Turpentine followed by about 30 coats of tung (all 100% / natural)... followed by 1 coat of paste wax.

Comment

• Landspeeder
        • Feb 2008

Slightly Upgraded Crossovers (aka, the spare parts bin)

Name:	ZaphB3S_C2_zps17c01aa6.webp
Views:	62
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	942937

Name:	ZaphB3S_C1_zpsd3d70a4e.webp
Views:	59
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	942938

Name:	ZaphB3S_C3_zps10943db7.webp
Views:	50
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	942939

Name:	ZaphB3S5_zpsf3db61cb.webp
Views:	61
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	942940
        Last edited by theSven; 25 June 2023, 20:43 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Landspeeder
          • Feb 2008

Close up of the bamboo

Name:	finishcb2_zps981087aa.webp
Views:	51
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	942941
          Last edited by theSven; 25 June 2023, 20:44 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Landspeeder
            • Feb 2008

A couple more shots... then time to start working on the Amp/Crossover tower

Name:	B3S_6_zps0944aff9.webp
Views:	56
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	942942

Name:	B3S_2_zps1d0575c3.webp
Views:	59
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	942943
            Last edited by theSven; 25 June 2023, 20:45 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• ---k---
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Nov 2005

Those look great. :T
              I got no ideas on how to work out the miniDSP.
              I know the miniDSP will be fun, but for the sub, have you considered just using a subwoofer plate amp with a speaker level crossover in it? Seems like a much easier solution and one that is already purpose built for what you want.

What will the source be?
              - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
              CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
              CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Landspeeder
                • Feb 2008

---K---
                Thanks!
                I am considering wiring a switch to the front and the back. The back switch will provide power to the front switch AND a cell phone charger. I will essentially leave the miniDSP on ALL the time via the cell phone charger.
                The front switch will then provide power to the 24V PSU.
                Not elegant... but in testing it appears to work fine (still open to suggestions). The miniDSP needs to be on before the source and amp to prevent a bad pop.

I have built a few of Zaph's B3S speakers - They work GREAT with a cheap receiver that will digitally filter out between 150-200 Hz.
                Below 100 Hz these speakers hit some serious distortion - Zaph provides a passive filter for those that wish to run with a plate amp but that filter costs more than the active crossover does. Also, with a crossover closer to 200 Hz these can take some serious power! Of course, at 200 Hz proper stereo subs are needed!

While a plate amp will work with a full range wave, it makes these speakers sound Terrible! Zaph has a write-up on this and a measured graph:

Name:	audio-speaker18-plateamphighpass.gif
Views:	16
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	942944

Try not to cringe. The source is a computer (all music saved at 320 kbps mp3). I used to use a Xonar, but have since moved to USB DACs (ODAC and Schiit Modi).
                Last edited by theSven; 25 June 2023, 20:45 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Landspeeder
                  • Feb 2008

DAC/Active Crossover/AMP/PSU idea

Name:	AmpTower_zps568abcf0.webp
Views:	41
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	942945

Red: Sure Amp 4x100W at 4 Ohm TK2050 -two TC2000 and four TP2050.
                  Pink: ODAC.
                  Grey: 24 VDC 14.6A 350W - Regulated Switching PSU.
                  Blue: miniDSP 2x4 Active Crossover

Back PSU panel held on by Magnets. Includes a Mesh Vent
                  Right Side panel comes off with Hex Bolts. Main Side panels Bamboo Ply
                  All else Wood Veneer

Back From Bottom Up.
                  AC in
                  PSU Switch with fuse
                  Sub L/R out - binding posts
                  Main L/R out - binding posts
                  USB miniDSP Crossover in (for programing tweaking)
                  RCA and 3.5 MM Pass-though (for future use should DAC go down)
                  USB ODAC in
                  Front
                  AMP Power Switch
                  Volume Potentiometer hooked up to miniDSP
                  Last edited by theSven; 25 June 2023, 20:46 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Landspeeder
                    • Feb 2008

Amp Idea 2.
                    Bottom slots in side panels AND in bottom horizontal support.
                    Top back vent - just hook up USB pass through via vent mesh - skip RCA/3.5 pass through for now
                    Right side panel, again allow via bolt on/off via hex screws.

Name:	AmpTower2_zpsa7a62d85.webp
Views:	43
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	942946
                    Last edited by theSven; 25 June 2023, 20:46 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Landspeeder
                      • Feb 2008

Subwoofer Speaker Stands:
                      Tang Band W4-2089 4.5" RBM Mini Flat Panel Subwoofer 4 Ohm

external dimensions of 14"H x 6"W x 10"D
                      3/4" MDF
                      two 1" diameter ports that are 8" long each.
                      Tuned box to 40 Hz with F3 of 37 Hz.

These will be on tall spikes (for listening level)

HELP
                      The speaker mounts on these suck. They are 1 3/8" Deep.
                      I have 3 mounting style ideas
                      1 - On Surface (easy, but not pretty)
                      2 - Rear mount with face roundover (easy, prettier) - Any issue with this if tuned for a cutoff below 200 Hz?
                      3 - Flush mount. (tricky... very tricky)

Name:	TangB_Subs_zpsebb50008.webp
Views:	43
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	942947
                      Last edited by theSven; 25 June 2023, 20:47 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• ---k---
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Nov 2005

I think I'm confused. I'm a little sleep deprived these days.

Your way is probably better sounding. I'm just not sure I would go through it with those drivers.

I was suggesting: Computer --> amp for the full signal range --> full range signal into the plate amp speaker level input --> plate amp output to the speakers.
                        So your amp would be powering your B3 speakers and the plate amp would power the subwoofer. You would not use the plate amp low level input like we normally do. The crossover would be done by the plateamp. Here is a picture of the SA100 plate amp for reference. You can see left and right speaker level inputs, and then you see the left and right speaker level outputs. Seems so easy to me.
                        Maybe the crossover in the plateamp is noisy? Plate amp crossovers seem to be rarely talked about these days, but I don't remember ever reading a complaint 10 years ago or so.

Name:	300-802_HR_0.default.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	521.4 KB
ID:	942948
                        Last edited by theSven; 25 June 2023, 20:48 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
                        - Ryan

Comment

• ---k---
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Nov 2005

Name:	264-952_HR_0.default.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	942949

Wow. That is different.
                          My initial thought was to flush mount by double up the baffle thickness. But you're really looking at tripling the baffle. As you said, it's tricky.

With surface mount, the back side of the driver will be pretty confined i think. You would want lots of backside relief which may be hard to do.
                          So, I think you're looking at rear mounting. I don't think it will be a problem with a big roundover on the opening and frequencies less than 200hz.
                          Last edited by theSven; 25 June 2023, 20:49 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
                          - Ryan

Comment

• Landspeeder
                            • Feb 2008

I think surface mount is really out... it is UGLY and you make a good point of tripping up the backside.

Flush mounting is doable, but the routing would be really tricky for me (my routing table and big routers are all in long term storage... so it would be done with a veneer router!)

I think a rear mounted build with a heavy roundover on the driver and ports (PVC Pipe) is probably my best option. I know it does not matter for 80 Hz down... I did not know if it was ok for 200 hz down... Thanks!

MMM... I should probably make the baffles removable should the speaker ever need replacement! The side panels will need about 0.5" routed out for clearance!

Comment

• Landspeeder
                              • Feb 2008

'RE to the plate amp.
                              I did try one with the first B3S I ever built... even after reading Zaphs writeup. Hopefully Zaph does not mind my re-posting his words here:

use an active subwoofer crossover!
                              some of you with plain old stereo receivers will be tempted to to hook up a sub with a plate amp, using the high level inputs, and then run the satellites from the plate amp's speaker level outputs. don't do it. here's why.

[image] - response with plate amp speaker level outputs

a plate amp speaker level output usually has a "1st order" high pass which is essentially just a 100 uf cap. this woofer has a fairly sharp impedance peak at it's resonant frequency. in this box, at this exact enclosure volume, the impedance peak is around 130hz. in the schematic, c0 represents the 100 uf cap. when you combine the impedance peak with the cap, what you get is a huge, sharp peak in the response as shown in the image above.

we can fix that problem with a passive impedance flattening circuit, but i have to warn you, it's not the most cost effective way to do it. you'll see why in the image below.

With something like the Overnight Sensations MT I have NO issues with a plate amp... but it just does not work with the B3S without getting some NASTY sounds... unless one is willing to spend a chunk of cash on passive crossover and at that point I prefer active for the same or less money

Comment

• Landspeeder
                                • Feb 2008

Also - I own the DC PSU, the miniDSP, a spare ODAC, and the Sure 4 channel amp!

Comment

• ---k---
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Nov 2005

Ahh. That explains it. You posted the graph previously. I looked at it. I saw the big dip, but it didn't occur to me that was being caused by the plate-amp interaction.
                                  I guess I now need to go back and read the original question.
                                  - Ryan

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"