• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TEK
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Livingroom setup

Hi

I'm wondering about adding another project to my project que.
    I have my hifi/sorround 7.3 setup in the basement. But I starting to miss something in our livingroom upstairs.
    We have a open livingroom/kitchen/hall solution. I guess all-in-all approximate 60-70m2.

This will be for "easy listening". It will replace my wifes table radio ;-)
    I'm thinking about using iPhone or some other very small source, a integrated tube amp and a couple of very slim/small florstanding speakers with a warm and plecent sound signature. Not mutch SPL requiered. Maybe making a small sub that also will work as a stand for the amplifier.

Anyone have suggestions for designs that might work for this?
    I'm thinking primary about speakers here, but I will need a amp as well...

Edit: forgot to mention that these will probably be placed close to the wall.
    -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Lots of things to think about there... first recommendation I might make is the Cambridge Audio ID100 docking station, as it will go from an iDevice to standard digital outputs- use one in my bedroom.

OTOH, maybe what you're really looking for is a digital source controlled by an iPhone or something similar? That would really open things up...
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Jonasz
      • Nov 2004

This is what I did in the kitchen. My wife wanted a "kitchenradio" so I did this with parts I had laying around.

It's a RS28F and SS15W combo crossed at 1kHz for widest dispersion in a walkaround area. The electronics are a Squeezebox Touch wich can be controlled either by iphone or by touchscreen. Just going to tidy-up the cables and then call it done!

Plays both Roseanne Cash, Mozart and Metallica satisfactory and the wife is happy (even though she's mostly interested in hitlist country tunes... :roll

Oh and if she sees this I better mention she actually did the woodworking herself or I'm dead meat... :rofl:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hylla_zps44df46f6.webp
Views:	27
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	944236
      Last edited by theSven; 05 July 2023, 21:11 Wednesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• kevinm
        • Jun 2013

Now that's slick!! Well done ^^

Comment

• Jonasz
          • Nov 2004

Thanks Kevin!

Comment

• TEK
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

Nice setup Jonasz.
            However, it seems as if Squecebox touch has gone out of production, and I have been given a go for some small/slim floorstanding speakers ;-)

The cambride unit looks interesting.

But I still need a (integrated) tube amp as well as some very slim looking floorstanding speakers.
            I guess they will be in white pianogloss...

Amp and speakers will be DIY.
            -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

• Jonasz
              • Nov 2004

Livingroom setup

Just showed it for ideas and inspiration.

There's still units around on the used market. It's pretty versatile bc it plays flac from the server, Spotify Extreme and Wimp Hifi (flac).

I'm by no means an expert in the field and there's probably newer units around.

Comment

• 5th element
                Supreme Being Moderator
                • Sep 2009

That's a nice example of how one can incorporate good sound into a room without needing a specific 'space' for the hifi to be located.
                What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
                5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
                Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• dar47
                  • Nov 2008

Jonasz, very nice little control center.

Little towers in a open concept living, dinning and kitchen area are not as flexible as a monitors on stands. if you have a monitor designed for vertical and off access response on stands you can park them out of the way most of the time for easy listening and they can be moved to focus on a seating area. if you want them hidden for example, this last weekend we had a wedding shower for my sons new bride and I took them off the stands and put them on the floor under a covered table as 30 women were walking every where. Even the component stand was covered with a white cloth and no one new were the sound was coming from. I also have a little sub park between a couch and chair to fill in.

Little towers take up the same floor space as a monitor on stands but your stuck with the speaker height.

Comment

• TEK
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Oct 2002

Hmm, good points - monitors might be a way to go as well.
                    However this ends up, floorstanding or on stands, I think good of axis respons is an important feature.
                    -TEK

Comment

• Jonasz
                      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by 5th element
                      That's a nice example of how one can incorporate good sound into a room without needing a specific 'space' for the hifi to be located.
                      We had an easter gettogether today and they worked nice playing backgroundmusic and received quiet a few compliments.

We're happy with them.

Comment

• TEK
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Oct 2002

Hmm, for speakers - what do you think about a coaxial driver in a slim cabinet, maybe using a horn design for the bass?
                        -TEK

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"