X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dougc
    • Jan 2010

Lineup R4 with Statements?

I have created some room for the full-size Statements in my HT, and am looking for the surrounds. I have narrowed it down to the Lineup R4 so far, and I'm looking for some guidance toward a different/better option or affirmation that this would be the design for what I have in mind. I chose them for the size, match of drivers to the statements, ability to be near-wall. I do not have the space for the Statements monitor for the surrounds.

This is how I would be using them:
    Onkyo 818 as power
    80hz XO for surrounds
    2740 cu ft room with vaulted ceiling
    Gjallarhorns for LFE
    Statements as mains
    Statement center
    R4 as L and R surrounds
    R4 as L and R upper wide surround

Statements front wall with 7' between them, and 12-18" from the front wall

surrounds would be mounted in the 4 corners, 4" from side walls with a DIY mounting bracket, aimed toward LP

So, is the R4 the one?

Thanks guys!
    Last edited by dougc; 23 September 2013, 17:00 Monday.
  • BeerParty
    • Oct 2008

First, I'm not an audio expert, though I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night :P

I don't have and have never heard the R4s, so cannot comment directly on them. They may be perfect for your situation.

But, if you want something that matches up with the Statements you may be better off using another design from the same person that created the crossovers for the Statements. Curt has several smaller speaker designs on his web site that you may want to consider. For example, last year for a event I set up my Statement Monitors as front L&R, an AviaTrix MTM for the center (on its side), and two AviaTrix TMs for the L&R Surrounds and they blended perfectly. Curt included info on modifying the crossovers for the AviaTrix to use them near wall, so I would assume that he provides the same info for his other smaller designs.
    Chris

My Statement Monitors Build
    My AviaTrix Build

Comment

• dougc
      • Jan 2010

Thanks for the response Chris. My initial thought was that timbre matching the drivers was most important, but I'm no pro either. I didn't consider the XO design. The R4 is not cheap - another reason I'm on the hunt for other options.

Comment

• bigjohn
        • Dec 2010

I'm no pro either but I did have the R44's paired with the statements and to my ears they blended quite nicely. Another option if they are to be used as just surrounds is the F4's, much less expensive.

Comment

• randyc1
          • Dec 2012

Looking for Surround also for my Monitor statements, ... with the positioning of the surround being above pointing slightly downwards ,not sure if ribbons are best candidate , they have great Horizontal dispersion , but not Vertical ? Maybe a differernt tweeter with both Horizontal and Vertical dispersion would be better ?

I'm no pro , but I dont think timbre matching will be very important for the rears ?

Comment

• tommarra
            • Feb 2013

I have used Overnight Sensation for my surrounds - small size speakers that go down to 50Hz.

Benefit of these small but reallyt good speakers was that I can mount them on the wall using a speaker mount. This configuration gives a lot on space / realism to the surround effect.

Esp useful if there is not a lot of room behind the listening position.

BTW the Sensations mate very well with my Finalists that I am using as mains.

Comment

• Sinistre1
              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by tommarra
              I have used Overnight Sensation for my surrounds - small size speakers that go down to 50Hz.

Benefit of these small but reallyt good speakers was that I can mount them on the wall using a speaker mount. This configuration gives a lot on space / realism to the surround effect.

Esp useful if there is not a lot of room behind the listening position.

BTW the Sensations mate very well with my Finalists that I am using as mains.
              FWIW (2cents, lol),

I am using OS MTM's as surrounds for my Statement Monitor fronts and they are, to my ears, a match made in heaven. They have a very similar sound quality and this is without using my receiver to "match the sound" With room correction (Audyssey in Onkyo 805.. still kicking) activated it appears as a seamless bubble of audio information (be it music or movie). The OS MTM has enough bass heft that it helps create the enveloping bass effects that movies often generate. With a sub rounding out the lower frequencies, the sound wants for nothing. So if the statement sound is your cup of tea... they are a great match.

One other thing worthy of note, I have my surrounds pointed at me (limitations of the room (appears tommarra and I may share a similar set-up)) and although the speakers image like the Dickens, they do not sound like they are pointed directly at me (very much like the statement monitors):T

Comment

• dougc
                • Jan 2010

This is good to hear guys, as the OS are half the price and I will need 4 if I go with front wides.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"