X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tkinney1016
    • Sep 2013

Statements, Monitors, & Center 5.1 Build

Her is my Statements surround build. I am starting with the Monitors and then will do the full Statements & Center. After the speakers I will do a sub and then upgrade amps, have a new Denon 3313ci for now.

New to me tools, thanks grandpa!

And my progress, flat pack done minus holes

Transmission lines done

Tyler
  • Mr.Ed
    • Apr 2012

You have a good start going. Just remember to have fun with the build otherwise it isn't worth it.
    -Ed

Comment

• Tkinney1016
      • Sep 2013

This is really my first time legitimately working with wood. At least with more than just a regular circular saw and drill. Other projects didn't consist of precise fits.

So far, I enjoy it. I used to do more metal work but I think I dig the wood a bit more.

Tyler

Comment

• dar47
        • Nov 2008

Well, my Dad was Machinist he was good with metal not so good with wood. My son good with metal but hasn't done much with wood. I think it skips a generation cause you did say those were Grandpa's tools.

Enjoy the process lots of skill transfers to be gained and you will have some great sound.

Comment

• Tkinney1016
          • Sep 2013

Ha ha, funny you say that because my dad was a welder before he passed.

I'm already working on a coffee table for my wife while I'm waiting on some things for the speakers.

Tyler

Comment

• BeerParty
            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Tkinney1016
            This is really my first time legitimately working with wood.
            If this is really your first time, a word of caution: Make sure you wear a good dust mask when working with MDF. That stuff is really nasty.
            Chris

My Statement Monitors Build
            My AviaTrix Build

Comment

• Tkinney1016
              • Sep 2013

Little update, got my Jasper circle jig and started cutting holes.

Tyler

Comment

• GPHammer
                • Jul 2010

Nothing wrong with grandpa's tools. Keep up the good work and please continue to post your progress and photo's.

You will be very happy with the Statements when you are complete, I have the full size, minis' and center.

Gregg

Comment

• dar47
                  • Nov 2008

Hey, Greg

Good to see you are still peeking in once in a while. Did your buddy finish his statement build? We are going to have to do a Wpg. get together sometime this year, there is enough of us up here with builds to listen to.

Darrell

Comment

• Tkinney1016
                    • Sep 2013

All holes are cut, now to put them together and order the rest I my parts!

Tyler

Comment

• Tkinney1016
                      • Sep 2013

All parts from parts express ordered. Just need to order tweeters from Madisound!!

Tyler

Comment

• BeerParty
                        • Oct 2008

All parts from parts express ordered. Just need to order tweeters from Madisound!!
                        I hate to tell you this, but you should have gotten the drivers before you cut the driver holes. The measurements provided in the plans can't account for variances in the driver manufacturing, so your driver cutouts might not be the right size. Don't glue up the front baffles until you have the drives and can check your work with the hardware.
                        Chris

My Statement Monitors Build
                        My AviaTrix Build

Comment

• Tkinney1016
                          • Sep 2013

All put together minus baffles and insulation. I sure hope the drivers all fit as they should. Are there really that many variances that they wouldn't fit? I have the 7" driver that I was able to test fit, just not the mid and tweeter. It should all be here Wed.

Tyler

Comment

• dar47
                            • Nov 2008

Using the jasper jig, you usually go to the nearest 1/16", so a little recess sanding if needed and it will drop in.

Comment

• Tkinney1016
                              • Sep 2013

Started the crossovers and putting insulation in the cabinets.

First mid range crossover done

First cab insulated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Ed H
                                • Apr 2011

Looking great!

Will the crossovers be mounted in cabinet? That is a big crossover (picture).

Comment

• GPHammer
                                  • Jul 2010

Good job so far, you really only need the insulation in the bottom of the cabinet for the woofer and also in the tunnel for the mids.

Comment

• Tkinney1016
                                    • Sep 2013

Ha ha yes the pics are a bit big. I the crossovers sitting in the bottom of the cabinet. I didn't realize I only needed insulation in the bottom, maybe I will change that for the next builds.

I am done building the monitors now except the outside finish. They are in the living room playing and they sound great! I haven't ever heard good quality speakers before so these are by far the best I've ever heard. I had two of my neighbors come check them out and they were extremely impressed with them too.

Here are some more pics.

Comment

• Tkinney1016
                                      • Sep 2013

Statements, Monitors, & Center 5.1 Build

My rom is by far not ideal for these speakers as the left speaker is about 18" away from the wall but is at an angle and the right speaker is about 3' away. With that being said, they still sound outstanding and the clarity is great.

I am thinking about doing a wood pattern laminate finish on them with the rear and front baffle being a satin black. My wife wants a classy look so there goes any ideas of something "different" and she wants it to match our existing furniture. I'm going with laminate because it should be pretty durable and hopefully easier to do than real wood veneer.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Mar 2005

I am done building the monitors now except the outside finish. They are in the living room playing and they sound great! I haven't ever heard good quality speakers before so these are by far the best I've ever heard. I had two of my neighbors come check them out and they were extremely impressed with them too.
                                        Excellent! That's the kind of feedback Curt and I never get tired of hearing. I'm glad you're enjoying them. :T

Check out Wilsonart vertical grade laminate. It can be ordered from Home Depot.

Jim

Comment

• Tkinney1016
                                          • Sep 2013

I have checked out the wilsonart and Formica brands, just have to find one the wife likes.

The monitors sound great so I can't wait to get all five speakers done. Music is awesome and I am extremely impressed with the low end in movies. I was not expecting that much sound from a monitor speaker. I am truly a movie guy so once all 5 are done with subs I don't think ill ever be able to leave my couch!

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"