X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mischmat
    • Feb 2010

Enlisting Help

XO's are not my forte for building and I was hoping to enlist somebodies help with a centre channel MTM. Box will be .75 cu/ft with external dimensions of 19x18x13 sealed using 3/4" mdf. If anybody is willing to help below is a listing of parts I have. Was hoping not to buy more components but if needed I could. If the total project could be 4 ohms or higher it would be nice. Centre would be placed in a TV stand if that helps. Open back stand so open to suggestions to porting.

Parts are:

Woofers
    2 x RS180s-4

Tweeter
    1 X 27TDFC

Inductors
    2 x .39mH 14awg, 0.12ohms DCR, 16mm H x 64mm D
    2 x 1.5mH 18awg, 0.60ohms DCR, 14mm H x 57mm D

Capacitors
    8 x 24mfd 250v, 0.0005ohms DF, 30mm D x 43mm L
    2 x 30mfd 250v, 0.0006ohms DF, 31mm D x 48mm L
    2 x 8.2mfd 250v, 0.0003ohms DF, 21mm D x 33mm L

Resistors
    2 x 2 ohms 10w
    2 x 8 ohms 10w
    2 x 10 ohms 10w
    2 x 5 ohms 10w

Anybody willing to help would be greatly appreciated or any input of course is appreciated also. ;x(
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

That's a bit tricky without having measured data for the specific enclosure. Connecting the two RS1804's in series would be a starting point, then a crossover from the Modula MT project using the Seas 27TDFC might get you most of the way. But whether the existing crossover parts you have would be work, you'd need to compare against the BOM.
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• mischmat
      • Feb 2010

Thanks for the poke in the right direction. I had a look around the Completed Guide and it appears most MTM's seem to be the 180-8 in parallel. Never noticed any designs for the 4 ohm version in series unless I missed something. I'll give your suggestion a go and see what happens. If I knew how to at least model something to see if it'll be half decent I'd be light years ahead of the game but I guess playing with components and the ear will do for now.

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by mischmat
        Thanks for the poke in the right direction. I had a look around the Completed Guide and it appears most MTM's seem to be the 180-8 in parallel. Never noticed any designs for the 4 ohm version in series unless I missed something. I'll give your suggestion a go and see what happens. If I knew how to at least model something to see if it'll be half decent I'd be light years ahead of the game but I guess playing with components and the ear will do for now.
        With dual 4 ohm drivers you don't. Have much of a choice but to wire them in series. But, this will give you a kinder load for the amp. The Modula MT is designed for the 8 ohm version of the RS180- two 4's in series should have 2-3 dB higher sensitivity, so you should be able to reduce the value of the series resistor.

Take a look at the NatalieP design, versus the original Modula MT; it's basically an MTM version using two RS180's, with the crossover adjusted as needed.
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Obi-Wan
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• mischmat
          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by JonMarsh
          Take a look at the NatalieP design, versus the original Modula MT; it's basically an MTM version using two RS180's, with the crossover adjusted as needed.
          Interesting you say this. I was actually thinking of asking the question about adjusting this XO for series, but reading past posts came to the conclusion it's alot more involved than a small tweak to make it work. I guess I can order the parts for a single Natp and order a bunch of different resistors and adjust R8?

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by mischmat
            Interesting you say this. I was actually thinking of asking the question about adjusting this XO for series, but reading past posts came to the conclusion it's alot more involved than a small tweak to make it work. I guess I can order the parts for a single Natp and order a bunch of different resistors and adjust R8?

I believe I have data on hand for the RS180-4- I could do a sim for you, if you can wait a week or two- things are a real b*tch at work right now! I'm doing something similar for Bill for a tweeter upgrade.
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Obi-Wan
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• mischmat
              • Feb 2010

Originally posted by JonMarsh
              I believe I have data on hand for the RS180-4- I could do a sim for you, if you can wait a week or two- things are a real b*tch at work right now! I'm doing something similar for Bill for a tweeter upgrade.
              I hear you on the work front. I'm about to go solo for 3 weeks on my site. I can wait a week or two. I'll just pick away at the box till then. Would adjusting the Natp be easier and/or better or would series on the Modula MT be a better choice?

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"