X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • neilmaui
    • Oct 2009

Mini Satements with Emotiva power?

Hi Guys, well I have just finished up my mini statements and now realize my poor old 8yr old denon 2805 isn't up to snuff! so this is my current line of thinking ditch my old Denon AVR and get a new Emotiva XPA-2 and XDA 2 fed with a mac mini? any thoughts on the Emotiva product?
  • BeerParty
    • Oct 2008

I don't have any experience with Emotiva products so can't offer an opinion.

But I am curious, where are you planning to use your Mini Statements? The Emotiva web site claims the XPA-200 will deliver 240W into 4Ohm, which should be more than enough power for the Mini Statements at a significantly lower cost than the XPA-2.
    Chris

My Statement Monitors Build
    My AviaTrix Build

Comment

• neilmaui
      • Oct 2009

Originally posted by BeerParty
      I don't have any experience with Emotiva products so can't offer an opinion.

But I am curious, where are you planning to use your Mini Statements? The Emotiva web site claims the XPA-200 will deliver 240W into 4Ohm, which should be more than enough power for the Mini Statements at a significantly lower cost than the XPA-2.
      Hi BP
      thanks for your message, I did look at the XPA 200 but the XPA looked like it got much better reviews

Comment

• JeremyG
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by neilmaui
        Hi Guys, well I have just finished up my mini statements and now realize my poor old 8yr old denon 2805 isn't up to snuff! so this is my current line of thinking ditch my old Denon AVR and get a new Emotiva XPA-2 and XDA 2 fed with a mac mini? any thoughts on the Emotiva product?
        Emotiva amps are good stuff.

Comment

• dar47
          • Nov 2008

vary nice amps for the price, I have the xpa-2. The 200 will do but if you can manage the xpa-2 is on sale with free shipping. Next step up are the little mono's with 30 watts class A.

Comment

• john trials
            • Mar 2009

I bought a used XPA-3 to power my Statements L&R, and Statement Center. 4 years left on the transferable warranty, which is a great thing. The bass sounds fabulous compared to my Onkyo AVR (with a claim of 125W into 2 channels). The XPA-3 can pump a lot of current to control those woofers! Highly recommended.
            Statements: "They usually kill the desire to build anything else."

Comment

• bigjohn
              • Dec 2010

Emotiva is a great choice, I have a pair of XPA-1's powering my sealed statements and and have used the UPA-1's as well, they are excellent amps. A DIY route you might aslo consider is to get a pair of the NCore NC400's and build some cases for them.

Comment

• Mr.Ed
                • Apr 2012

Emotiva amps are great. I ran my Mini's off both a XPA-2 and Xpa-3. Both sound excellent.
                -Ed

Comment

• flamethrower1
                  • May 2008

I run my minis from an XPA2 and my monitors and center with an XPA5, using a Yammy RX-V1800 as a pre amp (waiting for the XMC1 to be released) and I would have to say it is the best sounding system I have ever had/heard. I purchased the XPA5 and ran it that way for awhile, but it sounds much better with the XPA2 driving the mains, I am going to swap out the XPA5 with a XPA3 soon

Comment

• dsrviola
                    • Oct 2007

Originally posted by dar47
                    vary nice amps for the price, I have the xpa-2. The 200 will do but if you can manage the xpa-2 is on sale with free shipping. Next step up are the little mono's with 30 watts class A.
                    Class A monos? Are you referring to a different brand?

Comment

• dar47
                      • Nov 2008

The XPA-1L, 250 @ 8 Ohms & 500 @ 4 Ohms. the first 35 watts are class A.

Interesting little amp. I think the XPA-2 would be fine unless your whole chain is balanced and low level listening for music is important to you.

Comment

• BobEllis
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Dec 2005

I have not heard the XPA-1L, but I suspect a heavy marketeering hand in the specs. To achieve 30W RMS in class A in a push pull output you need roughly 1.4A bias. To achieve 250 W RMS output you need roughly +/-90V rails. That's 250W dissipation. While the XPA-1L's heat sinks are commendably large, I don't think they are large enough to dissipate 250W continuously without seriously compromising the longevity of the output devices. Compare, for instance the Pass X260.5 https://passlabs.com/products/amplifiers/x.5/x260.5 with similar peak power, but comes out of Class A at 5W. The heat sinks are more than twice as large. I have a home built Class A/AB amp that runs +/-60V rails, dissipating 200W. Its heat sinks are 10" high, 16" deep with 30 1.5" fins and runs around 50C. I figure I get 10W class A and about 150 W RMS into 8 ohms.

I'm sure that the XPA-1L increases bias in the class A/AB mode and probably sounds better, but I seriously doubt it stays in class A up to 30W unless it uses some sort of active bias adjustment. It probably sounds good, I just don't buy the 30W claim. On the other side, I only run my class A amps in the winter. I don't need for my air conditioning to take care of the extra 400W.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"