Monitor statement Near wall crossover confusion ??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • randyc1
    • Dec 2012

Monitor statement Near wall crossover confusion ??

1- I'm comparing my crossover plans with others here who posted pics of their Monitor Statement crossovers (close wall), and some seem to be a little different, either a bigger or more caps,.. or an additional resistance ??

2- Are the plans posted here for the close wall crossover the same as everyone else ??

3- Why is my 50uf cap soo much smaller than the plan.

4- And (last pic) ,...why was i sent a corrected version of the Mid section of the (Statement CC),..was something changed at one point ???
    Attached Files
    Last edited by randyc1; 30 April 2013, 05:18 Tuesday. Reason: clarifications
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

The cap you got is an NPE, where the plan probably shows a poly (more expensive) cap.
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Jim Holtz
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Chris is correct of course. The cap you have is an electrolytic rather than a poly as speced. It'll work but I wouldn't use it. I'm not sure where you got the crossover layouts but there have been no changes. The correct one is linked from here and is also available on Curt's website. I'm attaching it.

Jim
      Attached Files

Comment

• randyc1
        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
        Chris is correct of course. The cap you have is an electrolytic rather than a poly as speced. It'll work but I wouldn't use it. I'm not sure where you got the crossover layouts but there have been no changes. The correct one is linked from here and is also available on Curt's website. I'm attaching it.

Jim
        The first two pics i posted are for the Monitor Statments (near wall)
        The last picture only is for the CC , comparing a correction made .

These plans are directly from Meniscus Audio ????

Comment

• BeerParty
          • Oct 2008

You will want to use the bottom image from the Meniscus Audio page.

Curt's web site contains images for all the crossovers.
          This is the mid-range network for the Statement center channel from his site:

Click image for larger version

Name:	StatementCenterChannelNetwork-Midrange.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	858326

and here is the Meniscus Audio page marked with the labels used in the schematic from Curt's site:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2081.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	858327

BTW - I would NOT wire it up just like that picture, I would add extra wire and have specific labelled connections for the source and the driver. The mids in the Statements are wired out of phase: the (+) on the driver is connected to the (-) of the source. It was easier for me to add extra wires and label everything on my boards so I didn't have to try and remember that when I connected the driver.
          Chris

My Statement Monitors Build
          My AviaTrix Build

Comment

• randyc1
            • Dec 2012

Jim
            Thanks Jim,..it's all good now,...called Meniscus and they will be sending the correct Caps !!

Comment

• randyc1
              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by BeerParty

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21853[/ATTACH]

and here is the Meniscus Audio page marked with the labels used in the schematic from Curt's site:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21854[/ATTACH]

BTW - I would NOT wire it up just like that picture, I would add extra wire and have specific labelled connections for the source and the driver. The mids in the Statements are wired out of phase: the (+) on the driver is connected to the (-) of the source. It was easier for me to add extra wires and label everything on my boards so I didn't have to try and remember that when I connected the driver.
              Thanks Beerparty !

Ok, so Monitors it's just the (Mid) that is out of phase ,..and the CC it's (Mid and tweeter) ? correct??

And for the CC ,... i noticed someonene's (CC crossover pics) , there were 2 BIG Caps, ..only one on my plan ??
              Last edited by randyc1; 30 April 2013, 18:34 Tuesday. Reason: forgot something

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

There is a 68 uF cap in both the woofer and mid circuits. Take a look at the crossover I posted for the center. It has all three circuits laid out for you and also shows polarity of the drivers.

Jim

Comment

• randyc1
                  • Dec 2012

Yes , i should have been more clear ,...Only one BIG Cap out of the 2, I've seen pics with 2BIG Caps in the CC crossover ?

What is the difference between the 2 different sizes ?

There is a 68 uF cap in both the woofer and mid circuits. Take a look at the crossover I posted for the center. It has all three circuits laid out for you and also shows polarity of the drivers.

Jim
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by randyc1
                    Yes , i should have been more clear ,...Only one BIG Cap out of the 2, I've seen pics with 2BIG Caps in the CC crossover ?

What is the difference between the 2 different sizes ?
                    Someone else will have to give you the technical explanation but the poly caps are of higher quality and are used in high quality audio circuits. I didn't understand that you had one poly and one electrolytic. The electrolytic can be used successfully in the woofer circuit which is why Meniscus included it. They are less expensive. Many believe their performance is fine in that application.

Jim

Comment

• randyc1
                      • Dec 2012

Someone else will have to give you the technical explanation but the poly caps are of higher quality and are used in high quality audio circuits. I didn't understand that you had one poly and one electrolytic. The electrolytic can be used successfully in the woofer circuit which is why Meniscus included it. They are less expensive. Many believe their performance is fine in that application.

Jim
                      OK so just to be clear about the (Big) Poly Cap ,.. there is only 1 (Big) Poly Cap in the Monitors ,..and 1 (Big) Poly Cap in the CC, ,...along with the other smaller caps , correct ?

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

OK so just to be clear about the (Big) Poly Cap ,.. there is only 1 (Big) Poly Cap in the Monitors ,..and 1 (Big) Poly Cap in the CC, ,...along with the other smaller caps , correct ?
                        You need to look closely at the crossover I posted. There are two 68 uF caps for each speaker crossover. One is in the Net 1 woofer circuit at the C1021 position and the second is in the Net two circuit at the C2021 position. If you've not had any experience reading schematics and are familiar with the crossover symbols, I'd suggest you get someone to help solder them for you or have Meniscus assemble the crossover for you. The crossover has to be right or the speaker will not sound as designed.

The 68uF electrolytic cap Meniscus sent will work fine in the C1021 position. I prefer to use poly caps everywhere but there isn't anything wrong with using an electrolytic in a woofer circuit. Do not use it in the mid crossover, however.

Jim

Comment

• randyc1
                          • Dec 2012

You need to look closely at the crossover I posted. There are two 68 uF caps for each speaker crossover. One is in the Net 1 woofer circuit at the C1021 position and the second is in the Net two circuit at the C2021 position. If you've not had any experience reading schematics and are familiar with the crossover symbols, I'd suggest you get someone to help solder them for you or have Meniscus assemble the crossover for you. The crossover has to be right or the speaker will not sound as designed.

The 68uF electrolytic cap Meniscus sent will work fine in the C1021 position. I prefer to use poly caps everywhere but there isn't anything wrong with using an electrolytic in
                          a woofer circuit. Do not use it in the mid crossover, however.

Jim
                          I understand the symbols, values and the schematic , ...my concerns are more
                          About WHICH Quality ,... Erse or better ? , NPE, Solen, of same value goes where??

The Solen .47uf was replaced with a Dayton, is that just as good ?

Should i replace the NPE Caps with Poly Caps which i presume are the
                          Solen caps ?

I just want to get everything as designed .
                          Thanks Jim !!!

Comment

• randyc1
                            • Dec 2012

Jim
                            Why is Resistance R1011 of .3ohm in Net1 no longer on Curt's web CC plans ?

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Mar 2005

I understand the symbols, values and the schematic , ...my concerns are more
                              About WHICH Quality ,... Erse or better ? , NPE, Solen, of same value goes where??

The Solen .47uf was replaced with a Dayton, is that just as good ?

Should i replace the NPE Caps with Poly Caps which i presume are the
                              Solen caps ?

I just want to get everything as designed .
                              Thanks Jim !!!
                              I want to apologize if I came across as condescending. I didn't mean it that way. I was just trying to determine how comfortable you were with soldering and reading schematics.

Now, to answer your question, Dayton, Solen, Jantzen, Erse etc. poly caps are all similar in quality and will have a similar sound signature to them. The better Clarity caps are much more expensive but many feel they offer an upgrade in the tweeter circuit. Mid and woofer circuits will provide much less if any improvement by going to boutique caps.

The NPE 68uF cap will work fine in the woofer circuit and provide great sound. I prefer polys in all locations, but that's just me.

Jim

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Mar 2005

Why is Resistance R1011 of .3ohm in Net1 no longer on Curt's web CC plans ?
                                Any resistors that are less than 1.0 ohm and located next to an inductor reflect the DCR of the inductor. That value is used to determine which type of inductor you select. The proper ones will be included in the crossover parts of the kit.

Jim

Comment

• randyc1
                                  • Dec 2012

No worries Jim , i did'nt see it that way at all , i'm just gratefull your answering so many of my newbie questions !!
                                  I want to apologize if I came across as condescending. I didn't mean it that way. I was just trying to determine how comfortable you were with soldering and reading schematics.

Now, to answer your question, Dayton, Solen, Jantzen, Erse etc. poly caps are all similar in quality and will have a similar sound signature to them. The better Clarity caps are much more expensive but many feel they offer an upgrade in the tweeter circuit. Mid and woofer circuits will provide much less if any improvement by going to boutique caps.

The NPE 68uF cap will work fine in the woofer circuit and provide great sound. I prefer polys in all locations, but that's just me.

Jim

Comment

• randyc1
                                    • Dec 2012

Is it me ??...or is even the "Corrected" 2nd CC crossover Meniscus plan Incorrect , (the bottom one)
                                    Does'nt the 6.8uf go between the 1ohm and the 68uf ??,
                                    Originally posted by BeerParty

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21853[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21854[/ATTACH]

Attached Files

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Mar 2005

Is it me ??...or is even the "Corrected" 2nd CC crossover Meniscus plan Incorrect , (the bottom one)
                                      Does'nt the 6.8uf go between the 1ohm and the 68uf ??,
                                      I think Curt needs to take a peek at this. I'd suggest that you follow the crossover I posted which is the original one that has been used dozens and dozens of times.

Jim

Comment

• randyc1
                                        • Dec 2012

I assumed that after sending a 1st incorrect plan, the 2nd Corrected would have been double verified and I did not compare it to the Schematic plan ,.. so i used that to build my Mid crossover ?.
                                        I'm pretty sure i will now have to correct it !!
                                        I think Curt needs to take a peek at this. I'd suggest that you follow the crossover I posted which is the original one that has been used dozens and dozens of times.

Jim
                                        Attached Files

Comment

• cjd
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • Dec 2004

You do not have the output +/- markings/wires correct unless you plan to cross-wire at the W4-1337, which I do not recommend; it's too easy down the road to need to replace that and NOT remember it has to be wired out of phase. As it is, the yellow has to go to the W4 (-) and the black goes to the W4 (+)

Otherwise, that is correct based on Curt's schematic.

Comment

• Curt C
                                            • Feb 2005

I assumed that after sending a 1st incorrect plan, the 2nd Corrected would have been double verified and I did not compare it to the Schematic plan ,.. so i used that to build my Mid crossover ?.
                                            I'm pretty sure i will now have to correct it !!
                                            I'm pretty sure too...
                                            Its easy to make these transpositional errors. I do it all the tiem...

This drawing shows the correct termination for the 6.8 uF cap. Otherwise your crossover looks fine.

C

(Just to avoid any further confusion, this is the mid network for the Statement center channel)
                                            Attached Files
                                            Curt's Speaker Design Works

Comment

• randyc1
                                              • Dec 2012

Thanks a million Curt !
                                              What i dont understand is how Meniscus is sending me CC statement crossover pictures with errors ?, ( 3rd pic from beggining )
                                              Dont they have the ORIGINAL plans in there files to photocopy for clients ?

I think i will post all the crossover pics from Meniscus just to make sure there are no more errors !

QUOTE=Curt C;574534]I'm pretty sure too...
                                              Its easy to make these transpositional errors. I do it all the tiem...

This drawing shows the correct termination for the 6.8 uF cap. Otherwise your crossover looks fine.

C

(Just to avoid any further confusion, this is the mid network for the Statement center channel)[/QUOTE]

Comment

• Curt C
                                                • Feb 2005

The original files are the network schematics posted on my website, and while they look abundantly clear to me, perhaps they are not the easiest to interpret for some builders without electronics background. While it is unfortunate that there was an error made, Meniscus did intend to simplify the construction complexity by providing a pictorial drawing of the crossover networks. I think we can all agree that everyone makes mistakes, and I am certain there was no malevolence intended here, only willingness on their part to aid and support the DIY community.

I will contact Mark today and offer to confirm the accuracy and suitability of all the kits and materials of the designs associated with Jim Holtz and myself.

C

Comment

• randyc1
                                                  • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Curt C
                                                  The original files are the network schematics posted on my website, and while they look abundantly clear to me, perhaps they are not the easiest to interpret for some builders without electronics background. While it is unfortunate that there was an error made, Meniscus did intend to simplify the construction complexity by providing a pictorial drawing of the crossover networks. I think we can all agree that everyone makes mistakes, and I am certain there was no malevolence intended here, only willingness on their part to aid and support the DIY community.

I will contact Mark today and offer to confirm the accuracy and suitability of all the kits and materials of the designs associated with Jim Holtz and myself.

C

Thanks Curt , I contacted Mark over the phone today and yes like you mentioned it was a honest mistake, Mark will be sending the appropriate Caps and all will be good!

I had a difficult time Un-soldered the 6.8uf connection, and then made the correction,...I think I might have damaged the 6.8uf and .47uf caps ??.

When i use a Ohm meter to check for Continuity, on these 2 i get a continuous beeb ,... all the others ,installed or not, I get a Very short beeb ??

Before building my crossovers, they had all been checked ,..and Good, with a Cap meter at an electronics store near my place, but now i'm not sure ?

Comment

• Curt C
                                                    • Feb 2005

Randy,
                                                    Are you measuring them in, or out of circuit?
                                                    Its not possible to check them in circuit, as their impedance will be shunted by the other components in the circuit, and would result in a continuous tone with the continuity checker.

If you get the continuous beep with them out of the circuit, I'd suggest you get a couple more caps coming from Mark.

With an ohmmeter out of circuit, they should both read open after initially reading a lower resistance.

C

Comment

• randyc1
                                                      • Dec 2012

Randy,
                                                      Are you measuring them in, or out of circuit?
                                                      Its not possible to check them in circuit, as their impedance will be shunted by the other components in the circuit, and would result in a continuous tone with the continuity checker.

If you get the continuous beep with them out of the circuit, I'd suggest you get a couple more caps coming from Mark.

With an ohmmeter out of circuit, they should both read open after initially reading a lower resistance.

C
                                                      The .47uf and the 6.8uf that have a continuous tone are in circuit, the big poly is also in circuit but only has a short beep,..all the others not installed yet, also have just the one short beep ?

I will have them checked with a Cap meter to see if they measure the same ?

Comment

• Curt C
                                                        • Feb 2005

I think they are probably still fine, Randy.

The only way to check the 0.47 and 6.8 uF caps, even with a cap checker, is to unsolder one of their leads first. The 0.47 in circuit is in series with a 10 ohm resistor and shunted by the 0.25 mH coil, and will measure the 10 ohms plus the DCR of the coil. The 6.8 uF is shunted by the 1 ohm and 8.2 ohm resistors, and will read 9.2 ohms with an ohmmeter. This is why the continuity check gives the continuous beep, because of the low resistance caused by the other components in circuit.
                                                        The 68 uF cap, while in circuit, is not shunted by any other components, so it is still possible to check it with your DMM continuity checker, or a cap checker.

C

Comment

• cjd
                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                          • Dec 2004

FWIW I know Meniscus also messed up the Swope 3-way crossover - someone came here with a complaint about the bass and it devolved into a rather unhelpful discussion on the merits of this or that being better - it wasn't till someone over at PE posted the wrong diagram, and someone else made the connection to the guy here...

It's a nice service, but man can it screw things up

C

Comment

• randyc1
                                                            • Dec 2012

OK here is "Corrected "CC MID crossover ,... and the Tweeter crossover while im at it ,just waiting for the Poly Cap to finish the Woofer crossover !

If there are any errors please let me know !!!!

the Mid & Tweet driver leads will be reversed color coded at the terminal for opposite phase.
                                                            Attached Files

Comment

• randyc1
                                                              • Dec 2012

My resistors alone measured .1 to .2 higher than indicated,... but Yes Curt, the .47uf measures 10.4ohms and the 6.8uf measures 9.4ohms.

Thanks Curt !

Thanks curt !
                                                              I think they are probably still fine, Randy.

The only way to check the 0.47 and 6.8 uF caps, even with a cap checker, is to unsolder one of their leads first. The 0.47 in circuit is in series with a 10 ohm resistor and shunted by the 0.25 mH coil, and will measure the 10 ohms plus the DCR of the coil. The 6.8 uF is shunted by the 1 ohm and 8.2 ohm resistors, and will read 9.2 ohms with an ohmmeter. This is why the continuity check gives the continuous beep, because of the low resistance caused by the other components in circuit.
                                                              The 68 uF cap, while in circuit, is not shunted by any other components, so it is still possible to check it with your DMM continuity checker, or a cap checker.

C

Comment

• Curt C
                                                                • Feb 2005

The crossovers look fine Randy!

The 'extra' 0.2 ohms is almost certainly the resistance of your meter leads. Just short the leads together, note the reading, and subtract that value from all resistance readings for your best accuracy...

C

Comment

• randyc1
                                                                  • Dec 2012

Your absolutely right Curt !My meter leads measure .2ohms ,..I had never noticed that, Thanks !!

One of my 12ohm resistors(for the Monitors), measures 12 ohms meaning 11.8ohms, is that close enough or should i get a real 12ohm resistor?

I live 10 min from Solen ,so if it's important i could pick up more resisters ??

The crossovers look fine Randy!

The 'extra' 0.2 ohms is almost certainly the resistance of your meter leads. Just short the leads together, note the reading, and subtract that value from all resistance readings for your best accuracy...

C

Comment

• Curt C
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Feb 2005

You are good. No need to be concerned.

11.8 is less than 2% error. Certainly well within the acceptble margin of error. Consider also the accruacy of the measurement is only as good as the test equipment utilized. A good quality DMM could easily have a basic resistance error of 0.5% + 2 counts at this resistance range.

C

Comment

• randyc1
                                                                      • Dec 2012

OK great !

It's really nice having u around to answer all of our questions !!

B.T.W ,...I just started my "Build thread" with pictures .
                                                                      You are good. No need to be concerned.

11.8 is less than 2% error. Certainly well within the acceptble margin of error. Consider also the accruacy of the measurement is only as good as the test equipment utilized. A good quality DMM could easily have a basic resistance error of 0.5% + 2 counts at this resistance range.

C

Comment

• Curt C
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Feb 2005

OK great !

It's really nice having u around to answer all of our questions !!
                                                                        Glad to help whenever I am able!
                                                                        I don't get too much time for the forums anymore, so thanks also go Jim Holtz who gives me a gentle tap on the shoulder for occasions like this where I might be of some assistance...

C

Comment

• randyc1
                                                                          Member
                                                                          • Dec 2012

Do these two Monitor Statement (near wall, Mid) diagrams correspond ?? Looking at the components after the 50uf Cap ,.in parallel with Coil.

One has the 12ohm ,...then the .47uf connected to the rest

The other has the .47uf,... then the 12ohm connected to the rest .

Does it matter ??
                                                                          Attached Files

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                                            • Mar 2005
                                                                            • 3223

Randy,

The top one matches Curt's original schematic. The original should always be your reference.

Jim

Comment

• BobEllis
                                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                                              • Dec 2005
                                                                              • 1609

#39
                                                                              But in this case, either orientation will work. All that matters to the signal is that there is an RC totaling 12 ohms and 0.47 uf in series connected across the .25 mh inductor. If you break up the 12 ohms into 2 6ohm resistors for improved power handling, you could even put the cap between the two resistors and connect that across the inductor.

If there is a question of values or connection, as Jim says always use the original schematic. Sometimes people redraw incorrectly, other times you'll find they cannot find the exact values specified and substitute a close approximation. Within a few percent, this is probably inaudible.

Comment

• randyc1
                                                                                Member
                                                                                • Dec 2012
                                                                                • 71

#40
                                                                                OK guys thanks !!!

Comment

• Curt C
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Feb 2005
                                                                                  • 791

#41
                                                                                  Bob is of course correct. Components in series can go in any order, as long as there is no other circuit branch going to some other point that originates from a junction within that group.

C

Comment

• PMazz
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • May 2001
                                                                                    • 861

#42
                                                                                    2 6ohm resistors for improved power handling
                                                                                    I thought the only way to improve power handling was to double the resistor value and wire them in parallel?
                                                                                    Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• BobEllis
                                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                                      • Dec 2005
                                                                                      • 1609

#43
                                                                                      Either way, Pete. Cut the resistor values in half and put them in series, double and put them in parallel or 4 of the same and put two parallel pairs in series. As long as you end up with the same net value in more resistors of the same power rating you are getting better power handling.

Comment

• randyc1
                                                                                        Member
                                                                                        • Dec 2012
                                                                                        • 71

#44
                                                                                        Originally posted by BobEllis
                                                                                        Either way, Pete. Cut the resistor values in half and put them in series, double and put them in parallel or 4 of the same and put two parallel pairs in series. As long as you end up with the same net value in more resistors of the same power rating you are getting better power handling.
                                                                                        Is it because the more resistors u have, the more they can dissapate heat ?

Comment

• BobEllis
                                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                                          • Dec 2005
                                                                                          • 1609

#45
                                                                                          Correct, Randy. As long as you use multiples of the same value they will share power dissipation equally and the new power rating is power rating multiplied by the number of resistors. This assumes equal power rating and good ventilation around each. If you bundle the resistors together tightly they will not be able to dissipate heat as well and their power handling is diminished.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"